flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmbmb
March 13, 2014 10:55 PM

[Incoming Message. Source: Anonymous]
[Public Key Decryption Complete]

Get your asses to Texas. Deep 6 has gone dark.
I don't need to remind you what's at risk here,
or that we don't want the authorities to get
involved. Make contact with the regional boss
Mr. Coquin if you can.

OBJECTIVES
1. Get onto Deep 6; restore communications.
2. Punish whoever's screw-up this is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
March 14, 2014 1:36 AM
Lareado, TX

A cold rain had descended on the Texas coast but it didn't bother you since you'd come prepared with the correct gear (as always). The dark gray safe-house was barren of mostly everything except a coffee maker and a bunch of beds. It did have a couple things that brought you here instead of checking into a posh penthouse suite at the local 5-star hotel (overlooking the fact that there were no 5-star hotels here) and that was the lock-box that held the "keys" to a Company helicopter hidden in a clearing nearby and local maps of the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bay Chang
United States
Hillsborough
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The:

Man, that coffee tastes like crap. You'd think the Company would spring for something better than Maxwell House once in a while. Geez, how can they even sell that stuff anymore? The pours his mug down the drain and leans back against the 60's era speckled Formica counter. So what's the plan, Johnson?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollow:

The Hollow Man's face remains impassive, and he responds in clipped tones. "I find it best to lower my expectations far enough that all surprises are pleasant ones. I haven't yet managed to do that with this Agency, though," he says, chugging his coffee and tossing the mug into the sink. "Can't wait to see the chopper."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tori Courtney
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnson:

Whoever heard of medicine that tastes good? There will be plenty of coffee back home: I prefer to think of this as a caffeine supplement. He offers it to each agent in turn before downing the rest of the pot with a grimace.

As for the chopper, should we fly there and take command, or should we avoid advertising our arrival to anyone there who might not be happy to see us? We could fly just close enough to get the rest of the way by raft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bay Chang
United States
Hillsborough
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The:

Well, you rank, Johnson, so it's your call. (Turning to the Hollow Man) And he is kind of rank come to smell of it... But, yeah, I'd rather not have them playing Hail to the Chief and rolling out the red carpet as we land. It'll be a delight motoring in to the platform in this rain but it looks like it's just getting worse, so the copter should be able to get us pretty close without being seen. The nods his head towards the open lockbox on the table. The number for a Company pilot should be with the keys if it's like the last time I had to go aerial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Too Much Candy
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A friend in need is a friend indeed
badge
An enemy in need is hilarious
mbmbmbmbmb
Mason

Mason had declined the coffee and now sits on the edge of one of the beds, glancing over one of the maps with disinterest. "The poor visibility should help us to get closer before risking being sighted."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hayden
United States
Amelia
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ms. Wright took a sip from the travel mug of coffee she brought with her. "We should should also try to show up under the cover of darkness."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollow

The Hollow Man strokes his chin. "Aye. They probably know to expect someone, though. Too much stealth may just leave guards swarming the place. We could split up - a couple of us head in on the chopper with lights blazing, a diversion, and the rest go in all quiet-like by raft."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tori Courtney
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnson:

"That's very noble of you to volunteer in leading the diversion, Hollow. Take The with you to bust some heads. The rest of us will infiltrate quietly and bail you out if needed."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bay Chang
United States
Hillsborough
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The

The reaches into his coat and pulls out some blue-colored object, twirls it across his fingers too fast to make out exactly what it is and pockets it again. Yeah, okay. He steps over to the table and reaches into the lockbox to pull out the maps.

I figure it's gonna take the Zodiac an extra hour to motor over. If you leave here in 15 we'll hit the air at 0230. That should bring us over the rig at 0300, we do a surveillance pass and radio check-in. When you're 2 minutes out we'll come in Hollow style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Too Much Candy
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mason

"Don't screw it up. We're vulnerable in the water," Mason observes idly, folding up the map he was looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollow

The eyes narrow behind the Hollow Man's sunglasses, and his not-smile turns less smiley. But he nods in assent. "Just get the job done, assholes, and don't forget an exit strategy."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to read both, like I could stop you anyways. (There's no secret info here.)

**Chopper Crew**

Visibility is low. Some pilots find this a bane but you find the cover of darkness and rain a boon. Your destination, Deep-6, lurks out there with its lights blazing in the darkness.

A sudden unnatural shriek interrupts the thrum of your helicopter's rotors as something that looks like a flying saucer (but couldn't possibly be, right?) zooms past you for a split-second, then is gone. You're going pretty fast so that must have been something like a fighter jet on a training exercise or something. Hopefully just a coincidence. You're flying lights off, no transmissions - no one could possibly know you're coming.

**Zodiak Crew**

The chop of the waves provides a soothing rhythm that cuts through and takes your mind off the driving rain.

In the distance you see Deep-6. It's a big one; you know some things about it for example it's pretty self-suffient for energy and water with housing for the crew built-in to the structure. It gets visits from platform supply vessels (PSVs) on a semi-regular basis and what do you know, one of them is docked right now. It might provide an option for entry to the platform since the front door will be open, or it might screw with your plan for covert entry as there will likely be Operations team members and even the Installation Manager keeping an eye on things. Also, it's strange that it's here during the dead of night.

btw - Who's in the chopper and who's in the Zodiak?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bay Chang
United States
Hillsborough
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The

At the sound, The jerks his head up from where he adjusting the scope on a rifle. He turns to Hollow who is rock steady at the copter controls.

What the hell was that? Nothin's wrong with the copter, right? The's been on dozens of missions with helicopter insertion, but that doesn't mean he has to like it. Whatever. Too fast to be another copter, so it's long gone and not gonna bother us now. Bring us in over the platform; let's check it out. He pops open the window on his side of the copter and pushes the barrel of the rifle through. A steady spray of rain starts to spatter in.

Yeah. Refreshing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tori Courtney
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnson

So shall we board the PSV or find another way up? I'm inclined to go in through the PSV. Should give us an early clue as to what's going on and maybe give us a cover story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hayden
United States
Amelia
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ms. Wright

"No one on the platform knows us, and no one in the PSV knows us. We need to find a place to quietly slip in."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Too Much Candy
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mason

"If there is an abnormal operating schedule at the platform, it can work in our favour if we are discovered," Mason muses, gazing across the water. "But it would be safer if we avoid detection as long as possible. I vote finding somewhere less likely to be populated than the PSV."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more info
For a facility that has "gone dark" according to your communication, this platform certainly is bright and bustling with seemingly normal activity! In particular there are rig welders scattered throughout the installation, the sparks that fly from their tools illuminated even more pointedly in the dark of night. Crew members make their way about the decks manning control panels, fiddling with gauges, and minding alerts.

Obviously HQ must have meant that status and communication of the company's hidden operation here regarding U4 had gone dark. You don't know much about U4 except that it's an experimental drug.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of this but if one of you is actually flying the chopper, where are you going to ditch it haha. We can either handle it by saying there's a generic pilot or you can try to land it on the installation's helicopter pad unannounced. That would certainly draw attention though. Maybe that's what we want...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollow

Hollow nods at The's speculation, keeping his eyes fixed ahead. "Perhaps it's an angel, meant to speed us on our way," he remarks, before turning the copter into a tight circle around the platform, pitching the vehicle so that The's hatch gives him a good view of their destination. "I hear the Agency knows people who know people. Maybe one of them's an angel."

Edit: Oops, took a break and ended up cross-posting. I was planning to land on the pad, no point in being subtle if we are aiming for a diversion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tori Courtney
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnson

So we'll climb the platform then, and if anyone asks, we came in on the PSV to inspect progress. Mason and I will do the talking. As a company executive, Ms. Wright doesn't need to be bothered by worker ants. We need to take her straight to the man in charge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hayden
United States
Amelia
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ms Wright

Liking Johnsons suggestion. Ms Wright nods, and pulls out a tablet slapping together some executive correspondence, you must look the part.

"There is a service ladder on the north side of the rig. Between the dark and everyone looking at the helicopter we should be able to get on undetected."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The water begins to churn. Was that a tentacle? Probably just a trick of the light, as it reflects and bounces off the water from the rigging above - shadows moving. The sparks from the welders go dark as the crew drop their tools and uncover previously hidden surface-to-air missile launchers. Search lights begin to light up the sky.

Someone's looking for you. I'll start with DIG. Winning this conflict for you will likely accomplish the first objective, but note that the scope of it includes restoring comms so just setting foot on the edge of the oil platform won't do the trick.

DIG 12d6 = (2 + 1 + 4 + 3 + 6 + 3 + 6 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 1 + 4) = 45

I think this is right. I just asked the geek-roller to do a straight up 12d6 and then manually counted it out - I don't think there's a fancier way. I'm throwing away singles but you as players shouldn't. That's because if you burn traits you might get a set/match on your singles. The referee doesn't have traits to burn.

3x6
3x4
2x3
2x1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 522346. USP45
  • 12d6 =
  • (2 + 1 + 4 + 3 + 6 + 3 + 6 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 1 + 4) =
  • DIG
  • Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:25 pm
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, that's a nasty roll from the referee!

Hollow

"Huh," Hollow says as he banks the chopper into a sharp rise. "Sometimes I wonder why we even bother making plans. Hold on, The, this might get a little bumpy." And then his attention focuses on making a nice, smooth landing in spite of the gunfire, surface-to-air-missiles be damned.

I think I'm going to be using COOL to make an impressive (not to mention safe) landing onto the platform.

COOL 4d6 = (2 + 1 + 2 + 2) = 7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 522857. vestige
  • 4d6 =
  • (2 + 1 + 2 + 2) =
  • COOL
  • Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:07 pm
Bay Chang
United States
Hillsborough
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The

Yeah, so much for the idea that their phones were just broken. Swing a little wider, Hollow, so I can get an angle on those guys preparing the SAMs. The ditches the sniper rifle and positions a semi-automatic through the window.

KILL 4d6 = (4 + 2 + 2 + 5) = 13

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 523002. baychang
  • 4d6 =
  • (4 + 2 + 2 + 5) =
  • KILL
  • Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:43 pm
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |