TB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Related links:
Character list
Out-of-Character

Story so far:

Mayor Brogan Manning paces about his room, hands behind his back. Worry etched on his wrinkled face. Though in his late fifties, Brogan is still in good health. Yet, there is no denying that age has caught up with him. Short cropped hair laced with grey and a slight bald on the pate, age spots on his face and hands, and a slight lurch in his walk hints arthritis or an old injury from his adventuring days.

It's late summer and the open window panes bring cold mountain wind into his room, a harbinger to the coming autumn. Stallanford is a small town (population size of 2000) along the Duke's road in the Penhaligon estate, part of the Duchy of Karameikos, nested from the north, east and west within the Black Peak mountains. As such, autumn in Stallanford is akin to winter, bitterly cold.

Brogan sighs, his breath forming vapor in the cold air. Pinching his fingers on the nose bridge between his brows to ease his headache, he speaks out loud to himself, "Not that the Duchy doesn't have enough problems already. Enemies amassing on all fronts - Giants attacking Specularum, evil humanoids besieging Kelvin and now this."

Although Karameikos has no king, the King's festival is highly regarded (especially by the Traldarans) as it celebrates a great hero of distant past, King Halav. Given that the year has been hard on the people and almost the entire local militia are deployed away to help in Kelvin and Specularum, missing out on this festival longed for by the townsfolks may spell fear and unrest.

Yet, Brogan thought, all preparations are underway and nearly complete but their head cleric has gone missing!

Damn those orcs! Mayor Brogan thought angrily as he slams his fist into the wall with a loud thud. They sneaked into the town one night ago and burned part of the temple, killed two of the soldiers and injured many others. Most probably the orcs have taken away Aralic the head cleric too.

"No", said the mayor. "We need the festival. Something for the people to celebrate and take their minds off the current state of affairs, to allay their fears."

Mayor Brogan thought quietly for a while before he called out, "Janner!"

An old man wearing leather apron steps into the room and bows slightly to the mayor. "Yes sir?"

"Listen Janner", said Brogan. "Head into town and look for a cleric Kiril at the church. Bring him with you and then look for a tavern or inn, no...on second thought, head straight for the Hungry Halfling and search for any adventurers. Enlist their help - we have a quest for them."

Mayor Brogan details the quest to his manservant and bid him hurry with all due haste.

"Remember Janner,", said Mayor Brogan Manning as Janner turns to leave. "The King's festival is only two days away. We need to find Aralic before that. Without the cleric, the festival cannot happen. Now go!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [IC] King's Festival (2014)
It is early morning two days ere King's festival. This far north, the cold in autumn is akin to winter further south. The weak sun hides behind thick greyish clouds that promise heavy rain and an occasional rumbling in the mountains reinforces that notion.

Two figures walk along a deserted street in Stallanford, a town north of Karameikos, within the estate of Penhaligon. One wears a thick cloak tightly wrapped around the body and an unusual wide brim hat on his head, casting his face in shadow. The other is garbed in simple priestly robes, hooded with both hands tugged into the sleeves of the robe.

It was only last night that the now quiet street was flushed with noise - screams and shouts amid the mayhem. A band of orcs had suddenly raided the town, burning and killing. The air still carries scent of burning whereas the streets and buildings bear evidence of the chaos from last night - damaged walls of several buildings and splotches of blood and a wrecked wagon in the streets.

Yet it was strange that the orcs, besides the burning and killing, didn't loot anything from the town except to kidnap the head cleric, Aralic.

"Tis strange I said," whispered Janner to his companion, vapors forming from his breath as he talks, "Orcs had raided this town on several occasions in the past but it is always to destroy, kill and LOOT. Yet last night, the orcs only did the destroy and kill part but left out the looting."

Turning his head slightly to look at his companion, a young cleric from a nearby village, without waiting for a reply, Janner continues, "Kiril right? Listen, it is not my place to ask why and what. My duties to Mayor Manning is simple - bring you to the Hungry Halfling and recruit a party to accompany you to rescue Aralic. Aye, but something isn't right and these old bones can feel it."

Kiril doesn't reply. Janner shrugs his shoulders and let the matter rest. Both men carries on the journey to the tavern in silence.

A few moments later, Janner and Kiril stand before the Hungry Halfling. A worn sign bearing the name of the tavern hangs on a metal pole right above the tavern's main door. It creaks nosily in the wind that seems to be picking up, suggesting strongly the imminent rain.

Janner suddenly brings out a hand to bar Kiril from entering the tavern. "Kiril, listen. Mayor Manning has given instructions to gather a party of six including yourself to conduct the rescue mission. Brogan is able to offer to each member of this team, a fee not more than 250gp. I know it isn't much but the duchy has recently been plagued by many unfortunate events that results in poor harvest and trade. Stallanford isn't spared of it neither. Our coffers run low and this is as much as we can offer."

A slight nod from Kiril and Janner removes his hand. He smiles and said. "Ok, let's do it."

Pushing open the door, both men walk into the Hungry Halfling tavern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being out in the cold for a while, Kiril feels a little disoriented as he steps into the tavern and was suddenly hit by a blast of warm air from within it.

"Close that door!" shouted a few patrons in the tavern, annoyed that the opened door has brought in the cold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eloom'aq was brooding deep in dark thoughts about their unfortunate timing, when a cold draft blew past him forcing a shudder to course his body and wakening him to the present. He looked at Galrael and whispered, "We should be out there tracking the Orcs. We've sat here long enough and no amount of thinking is going to get us any closer to retrieving what we came for. I say we finish our drinks and move, while the track and scent is fresh."

With that Eloom'aq gulped remaining wine and felt the fire of the spices liven him to his resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magjral stirred when a cold draft fell upon her hands that held the tankard of her third warm ale. She thought she heard one of the elves say something about Orcs.

The only good Orc is a dead Orc.

Magjral drinks the last of the ale and loudly places her tankard on the table.

EDITED TO CHANGE COLOR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Katastrophy9 wrote:
Magjral stirred when a cold draft fell upon her hands that held the tankard of her third warm ale. She thought she heard one of the elves say something about Orcs.

The only good Orc is a dead Orc.

Magjral drinks the last of the ale and loudly places her tankard on the table.

Magjral sees two human males entering the tavern. One of them is an aged old man that she recognizes as the butler to the local mayor. Magjral surmises the other as a young priest from his garb but it was his fervour look on his face, a man totally caught up in the rapture of his faith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiril enters the Hungry Halfling sheepishly, as if entering a place that he's permitted, but not quite invited to. His movements are subdued in an attempt to avoid attracting any more immediate attention.

His first point of business is to observe the patrons here. It can be an interesting exercise to observe the countenance of those awake in a tavern at such an early hour. Kiril knows he has no use of someone who's first priority is pleasure. Or intoxication.

'No,' he thinks to himself, 'we need to find people above such selfishness. People of business would be preferred; professionals.'

Then the words of a dwarf, "...dead orc.", and a loud thud of a tankard smacking a table, catches Kiril's attention. Perhaps, if the words were slurred and the motion unsteady, he would not have given the dwarf a second thought, but this dwarf does not appear to be some drunken trouble-maker. In fact, Kiril's never seen her before. Perhaps a vagabond would be up to such a task as ours.

Kiril touches Janner's elbow to get his attention discreetly and directs his gaze over to the dwarf. He wanders over and as he sits down at her table, he notices that she was looking at a pair of elves. 'Also strangers', he thinks, 'and looking rather frustrated and focused'.

While still sitting at the dwarf's table, Kiril decides to address the elves first. "Is the wine not satisfactory, my friends? Might I suggest one from the Shires - I'm sure that a wine from among at least one of the Five Shires will please your troubled spirits."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boatman
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Kiril is walking toward our table I quietly whisper to Eloom'aq in elvish: Lets hold for the moment. We may be able to bend these others to our mission.

In response to Kiril: Even though the tavern keep assured us that this is his best bottle it leaves something to be desired compared to what we have at home. Although the Wine is not what is causing us frustration, we had meant to request an audience with your head cleric Aralic but that doesn't appear likely now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carick sits in the shadows watching the goings on and will offer to hunt for the priest, keeping quiet, but willing to offer his skills to the party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"It appears that the taste of the wine here is among the least of your concerns", Kiril says to Galrael, "and so it is with me also. We both would rather see Aralic. If you and your companion are interested, I am gathering together a party to search out and return him home. I am reasonably certain you would gain your audience with him should we be successful."

The cleric then turns his attention to the dwarf sitting across from him, "You may not be as interested in seeing Aralic as we, but I have a sense that you know how to deal with orcs and their like. I could use the qualities that the dwarven race has to offer just as much as those of the elven."

With those last words Kiril watches the strangers before him, looking for signs of any bad blood between the demihumans. Although most can get along just fine with each other, having any individuals with an ingrained hatred against a fellow party member must be revealed now if at all possible; discovering this in a time of danger is too late.

[For those who are also in the tavern: Kiril is not whispering but neither is he talking very loudly. I'm sure at least some of the conversation can be heard if someone wished to. Also note that he has not mentioned anything about a monetary reward as of yet.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"And why would we join with you when we are experts at tracking and quicker footed?" Eloom'aq questions following Galrael's lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC: Hugin, you can use the ooc tags to present game related out-of-character info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:
"And why would we join with you when we are experts at tracking and quicker footed?" Eloom'aq questions following Galrael's lead.

The human serving girl saunters up to Janner with a sweet smile.

"It's been a while Janner. What will you have? Resting both hands on her hips, she turns to Kiril seductively and purred, "I'm Krista. Haven't seen you around here before. What can I do for you?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrandal slips his coins back into a small, far less full than preferred, pouch when he overhears the conversation. He's content to listen for the moment, but doesn't bother to hide the fact that he's eavesdropping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know not who this Aralic is, Cleric, but I saw last night the evil the Orcs laid upon this town - that they took someone against their will and they do not do good to any man.

Magjal looks to Kiril and then Janner.

I may be interested in placing more Orc blood upon my axe, but... food does not replace itself, weapons do not sharpen on their own - what compense can you or your house provide so that at the end of this task I will not be worse off than when I started?

Magjral looks to the elves, squinting as she ponders what their motive in this venture could be. She looks towards her empty tankard, moving it away from her grasp and faces Kiril.

Do not think me greedy, Cleric, I have lived long and fought well to right various wrongs in the world but I am also very practical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to treat Magjal's dialogue as being said first although Kirik is going to respond to Eloom'aq first. I hope that is alright.

Katastrophy9 wrote:
Do not think me greedy, Cleric, I have lived long and fought well to right various wrongs in the world but I am also very practical.

TopherMel wrote:
"Those skills will get you to the orcs, I'm sure, but what then? Will you both fight off a band of orcs on their territory yourselves? There is a reason rope is made from many cords you know. There is strength in numbers. If you didn't believe this already you'd each be traveling your separate paths, no?"

"But that aside, and to answer your question as well master dwarf, there is a payment of 300 gold pieces available to those who join this cause."
This is said in a quiet enough voice that not everybody would hear it unless they were trying to.

Kiril scans the tavern with his eyes to see any reaction toward the mentioning of gold payment.

Edits are just formatting. This time I forgot to bold my dialogue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Kiril scans the tavern with his eyes to see any reaction toward the mentioning of gold payment.

Carick moves closer to the speaker and says quietly back, There is always people with empty pockets and a dream to move on to new places. I would be willing to move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiril looks up and down the thin figure before him. "If you believe you have something to offer this party then by all means you're welcome. But I should caution you that no one can assure your safety. The gold you earn may not be spent how you wish and the place you move on to may not be the one you choose."

Changing his demeanor to be more inviting, Kiril adds, "Now, if I have not deterred you or any other from joining this endeavor, you're hired. That will bring us to five and I am to find one more to complete the party."

Kiril stands up, having an expression on his face as though he just remembered something he had forgotten. "My name is Kiril, a cleric of Alalic's order, and I will be accompanying you on this rescue effort. Thank you on behalf of Mayor Brogan Manning, the people of Stallanford, and the church."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugin wrote:
"Those skills will get you to the orcs, I'm sure, but what then? Will you both fight off a band of orcs on their territory yourselves? There is a reason rope is made from many cords you know. There is strength in numbers. If you didn't believe this already you'd each be traveling your separate paths, no?"

"But that aside, and to answer your question as well master dwarf, there is a payment of 300 gold pieces available to those who join this cause."

Addressing the waitress Eloom'aq says: "Krista, I believe it is time to refill the dwarf's tankard and our cups as well and that gentleman there too. I believe the good Cleric here is paying!"

Redressing Kiril Eloom'aq says in an impassioned yet hushed tone "As to you Cleric... you speak well. But money is not enough to convince Elves to join in a cause. Strength in numbers you suggest: yes there is that too. Have you any information we should know about before choosing to join in your cause?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Janner balks at Kiril words "300 gold piece" and tugs at the cleric's sleeve to get his attention.

"Kiril, mayor Brogan has clearly stated 250 gold coins..." hissed Janner under his breath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:
[q="Hugin"]
Addressing the waitress Eloom'aq says: "[COLOR=#FF3300]Krista, I believe it is time to refill the dwarf's tankard and our cups as well and that gentleman there too. I believe the good Cleric here is paying!
"

"Aye!" chirped Krista happily. She eyes Kiril appraisingly with a raised eyebrow before she turns and heads towards the bar fulfilling the order.

Carick notices that the occupants in the tavern were suddenly quiet. Besides the two men who looks to be bakers, there are another three rough-looking men garbed in worn leather armour and armed with knives and swords. This latter group is staring right across the common room towards Kiril at the mention of "300 gold pieces".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well everyone it looks like we have some interested parties. I myself am not so interested in their dancing I believe he says quietly.

Backing away from the table he fingers his dagger underneath his cloak and looks to go over to the side where he can be more opportunistic if anything breaks out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yes Janner, the Mayor did indeed state 250 gold coins for each hire, however he has no say in how I spend my payment. I offer my share as a token of determination to the other party members to see this mission succeed. It is far more desirable to me to see Aralic in Stallanford then to see gold in my purse."

Kiril then thoughtfully turns his head the other way to answer Eloom'aq, "Here is the information I can offer you: I intend to find five adventurers to join me with the purpose of ending up at the same destination as you. You may get there with pay or without. You may get there as two or as six. It is entirely your choice."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magjral notices the quiet in the taveran then hears the shifting of a chair and notices a small group of scruffy men, armed and looking suspiciously at Kiril.

Magjral shifts her chair away from the table and places her axe within reach but not in view of the scruffy bunch.

Sounds well and all that, Kiril, with what your intentions are but...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugin wrote:
Kiril then thoughtfully turns his head the other way to answer Eloom'aq, "Here is the information I can offer you: I intend to find five adventurers to join me with the purpose of ending up at the same destination as you. You may get there with pay or without. You may get there as two or as six. It is entirely your choice."

Eloom'aq turns to his friend Galrael and whispers in Elvish:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I don't know if you trust this cleric. I get the sense he has noble intentions, but wonder if he is leaving something out of the picture. The Dwarf... she seems true enough, but the humans...

The spoiler is for Galrael and the DM only. When the story has wrapped up anyone can go back and read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [37] |