Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
364 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 5-04: The Stolen Heir» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Greenclaw's 5-04 - The Stolen Heir (IC) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the In Character [IC] thread for one of our offical RPG Geek Pathfinder Society Games. Click here to learn how you can join the guild and take part in our regular offering of sanctioned Pathfinder Society games!

Our cast of characters:


Character Player Class/Level PFS # Faction

Milo Montajay residue Bard 3/Fighter 1 78307-2 Taldor
Ozgg znirp81 Barbarian 2/Druid 2 78727-1 Sczarni
Hiram Thistlefoot Rodafowa Rogue 3/Barbarian 1 78729-1 Andoran
Endo Fineleaf Vladimir17 Cavalier 3/Bard 1 73392-2 Andoran
Indo Cobbz20 Monk 4 76206-3 Silver Crusade

Quick link to Character Depository.
Quick link to the OOC thread.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we are just waiting for Hiram and Ozzg to reappear in the Character Depository, but I will post the intro so that we can start at our leisure.

Fresh from their patrol on the edge of the Worldwound, the heroes are called south to Andoran for their next mission.



Morning light streams in through the stained glass windows of the Cathedral of Aroden in Almas, where Venture-Captain Brackett sits behind a large, antique desk replete with hair-thin lines that mar its surface like nearly healed scars. He scans a handful of papers before speaking to you and the other assembled guests, among them the no-nonsense wizard Wystorn Telfyr and Major Colson Maldris.

“I recently received news of a kidnapping in Sauerton, up in the northern wine country. Thalia Andares, heir to the Sauerton Red wine fortune and daughter of Consul Tercio Andares, vanished during the Silverglazer Sunday celebration and has not been seen since.”




With a meaningful look, Maldris catches Brackett’s attention, and the two nod in understanding as the major contributes. “Tercio Andares is powerful and widely respected; not only has he been the mayor of the large town for many years, but he is also a strong voice in the Andoren military—even for a consul. The Sauerton Red winery has made him extremely wealthy, and his financial support could be a considerable asset to the Pathfinders’ important work in and around the Worldwound. He seems uninterested in foreign affairs, though, perhaps because it’s politically safer to focus on domestic matters. Even so, he is known to help those who help him.”

“I appreciate the summary, major,” says Brackett. “I am convinced that the Andares’s gratitude would do much to refill our war chest for a struggle that is unlikely to end quickly. When you track down Thalia, as I trust you will do quickly, it is important not only to the Pathfinder Society but perhaps to the whole world that you request funding for the military campaign against the Worldwound. Of course, convincing Tercio to contribute troops and military aid would be even better, but aim for finances first.”

With a sigh, Major Maldris picks up his tricorne hat and prepares to depart. “I would stay longer, but I must make final preparations to travel,” he states in a quiet voice. “While I hope that the Andares family agrees to help the society, I am also wary of this political practice of mutual backscratching. As all of you are in Sauerton—especially those who care for this fine country—remain vigilant for signs of short-sighted corruption and abandonment of Andoran’s founding principles: freedom and democracy. Follow what you believe to be the best course of action, as I will not be available to advise you. Nonetheless, I would appreciate any reports of corruption after the situation is resolved.” After sharing a quick handshake with Brackett and a nod of farewell to the rest of you, he departs, closing the door behind him.

Telfyr breaks the moment of silence that follows by reporting, “My scrying indicates that the young Andares is being held in a building with high ceilings and once-elegant adornments in a style popular in this nation before the People’s Revolt. The structure seems to have sustained extensive fire damage which has not been repaired. Thalia is alive and unhurt, at least for now. She was reading a fresh copy of the essays of Alysande Benedict when I saw her.”

Brackett begins to bring the briefing to a close by concluding, “We have transportation ready to take you to Sauerton as quickly as possible. When you arrive, present this letter to Consul Andares before you begin your investigation. It introduces you and offers the condolences and assistance of the Pathfinder Society. Not only is this proper etiquette to announce your intentions to the mayor, but Thalia vanished from the Andares manor. Someone there should be able to make sense of Telfyr’s visions."

Telfyr frowns at Brackett’s diction. “Scrying, Brackett, is diff–“

“Alright, yes, scrying,” the venture-captain concedes as he pushes a sealed letter across the table. “Introductions, rescue operation, then negotiation for funding and possible military support. Make any questions quick; you’ve got a boat to catch.”

Feel free to:

-ask questions
-make any last minute purchases or
-try some gather info (Diplomacy, Know (local) and/or know (geography) checks
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo, recently dubbed Marquis, one among only a few privileged thousands to wear such a title in the once-proud-and-gods-willing-soon-again nation of Taldor, is happily puffing away at his pipe during the briefing and brief exchange between the VC and the others. He quickly steps up and snatches the sealed letter once it's presented, less someone of the non-readers of the group try to eat it.

"Fear not Venture-Captain. You know us. And you know me. I'd dare say that the fair Thalia soon will be reunited with her father. When it comes to damsels in distress we seem to be your go to company, yes?" Milo chuckles, bemused. Yes, the title has put him in a good mood.

"I've never been to Sauerton. I hear it is famous for its wine, however. In fact, one of my more beloved performances were compared to the wine of Sauerton by one of my many, many, critics. In taste as well as in quality. I'm looking forward to tasting it from the source, see if it loosens the tongue, if it awakens the muses, as it were. Now, ah, this consul, I am not familiar with the workings of the Andoran, ah, I believe they could be called nobility, if one were to use such a term for, umm, freedom-lovers... what are his duties, exactly? Outside the mayorship."

Milo looks towards the wizard Telfyr, giving him a slight nod, as befits between equals, and continues. "This Alysande Benedict, and the People's Revolt, I fear my friends are not too well versed in history. And with history I mean pretty much anything happening before last week. Or in some cases... supper. If you were to share your wisdom with us, our mission might benefit from it?"

Rolling like a boss...

Diplomacy 1d20+8 = (13) + 8 = 21
Knowledge (local) 1d20+7 = (8) + 7 = 15
Knowledge (geography) 1d20+7 = (4) + 7 = 11
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 516118. residue
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (13) + 8 =
  • 21
  • Diplomacy
  • Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:48 pm
  • [+]
  • 516119. residue
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (8) + 7 =
  • 15
  • Knowledge (local)
  • Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:49 pm
  • [+]
  • 516120. residue
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (4) + 7 =
  • 11
  • Knowledge (geography)
  • Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:49 pm
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brackett peers over his desk as Milo approaches, having to lean forward a little so as to be able to look the halfling in the eye over the pile of papers in front of him. "Ah, yes Montajay isn't it? I hear some congratulations are in order for your recent elevation to the ranks of nobility. So it's Milo Marquis de where-now-exactly?"

Not waiting for a reply to his flippant question the VC moves on to the more pressing matters of business. "Consuls? Well yes they are a sort of unofficial nobility for all intents and purposes when you consider it. The consuls, about 20 in number, exercise executive control over Andoran's internal security and command the army and navy. Andares has used his regional power to step up into the national political arena. The man keeps his fingers in more than a couple of pies in fact, as he is not only the mayor and a consul but is still the owner of the extremely successful Saurton Red winery, which it sounds like you might find appealing.

He has during all this, generally remained quite a popular figure in Saurton despite the town suffering from a rash of attacks by wild beasts from the Verduran Forest in recent years, as his winery employs much of the town directly or indirectly, and it is rare for any public figure to suggest Andares might be responsible for any problems at all, although a few unpopular individuals around the town say that the Andares family is rotten, and that anyone who makes trouble for Tercio or his kin is quickly and quietly encouraged to leave town. Make of that as you will!"


Telfyr the wizard then speaks up with more information to answer Milo's last question. "Yes, well actually far from having a glowing reputation, Sauerton is somewhat infamous for its cheap and widely distributed wines. In fact it has become immortalised in an Andoren proverb that something of poor quality 'must be down from Sauerton." The man's face flushes bright red as he realises this might cause some offense. ""Er...well, I mean I'm sure that those who compared you to the wine were not connoisseurs, well by that I mean...well, I'm sure you're very good and they meant the best by the comment."

Trying to brush past the issue, the wizard changes the subject. "As for the town itself, its quite a large one, located in the wine country of northeast Andoran, about equally distant from the Andoshen River, which is used to shop wine to Andoran's southern ports for export, and the Verduran Forest, which occupies much of the tense border with Taldor and Galt."

The two men then look to each other and Brackett starts shuffling papers, clearly eager to get back to work. "So is that all? There's not much more we can tell you right now. You best be off, there's a barge waiting to take you up stream. I hear it might rain this evening, and you don't want to be caught out in the wet!"
5 
 Thumb up
0.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiram listens to the by-now-traditional jabber, fiddling idly with his moustache. He nods faintly in agreement with the cheerful fellow in the sweet hat, but keeps his counsel until everyone seems to have said all they're going to say.

"Just one trifling detail I'd like cleared up if it's not too much trouble, chaps. What makes you believe that the gel's been kidnapped? Has anyone claimed responsibility? Has a ransom demand been made? Was she tied up under guard when you did the magic-looky-eye thing, what?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozgg just stands there staring at a painting on the wall, lightly drooling, having zoned out quite quickly.

Meanwhile Sir Mojo nods thoughtfully to Hiram Oook ook! OOOook?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brackett looks back up from his paperwork with a forced smile at the rogueish halfling. "What's that dear chap? How do we know it's a kidnapping? Well I guess we don't really know that for sure but the authorities have informed us that that is what it looks like to them and we have no reason not to believe them, although as to who might have taken her is for now completely eluding them. Also quite strangely, they say that they have not as yet received any demands!"

Endo and to a lesser degree, Mr. Snuggles, is usually pretty quiet during these briefings so I will assume that is all for the questioning and we will continue...

On the way to the boat, a plainclothes messenger intercepts the group and approaches Milo with a bow. "Mr..er, I mean Marquis de...er, Milo sir? I have a message for you if it please you?"

Matias, check your geekmail for said missive.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiram rolls his eyes and looks to the wizard. "So did she seem upset or under duress when you looked in your crystal ball, old stick? Something smells fishy here. And I don't just mean Ozgg's loincloth on laundry day, what?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The bard is still seething from the revelation of the whole wine debacle. The nerve.

Being addressed in a matter suitable to his station puts him in better mood, and he takes the letter before dismissing the messenger with a wave. He checks the seal before opening and then quickly reads it, humming softly to himself.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodafowa wrote:
Hiram rolls his eyes and looks to the wizard. "So did she seem upset or under duress when you looked in your crystal ball, old stick? Something smells fishy here. And I don't just mean Ozgg's loincloth on laundry day, what?"

Telfyr sighs, eager to get back to his wizardry or whatever wizards do when they're not briefing Pathfinders. "Well as I said earlier, Thalia was alive and unhurt when I saw her and reading a fresh copy of the essays of Alysande Benedict in the room where she was being kept."

Brackett doesn't even look up from his work this time but calls out absently. "Are you lot still here? Just remember why you're on this mission in the first place. Rescue the girl, of course, but make sure you get the funding we need and hopefully secure the military support as well. Now, you do have a boat to catch, hmmm..."

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greenclaw wrote:

Telfyr sighs, eager to get back to his wizardry or whatever wizards do when they're not briefing Pathfinders. "Well as I said earlier, Thalia was alive and unhurt when I saw her and reading a fresh copy of the essays of Alysande Benedict in the room where she was being kept."
"Yes. I heard that the first time, old bean. I was asking for what we in the business technically refer to as "more details". Sorry to waste your time, after all it's not like you're asking me to bugger off on a long and almost definitely dangerous mission to further your political ends while you're sat safe here on your flabby berobed arse or anything, eh what?"

Hiram doffs his hat in a florid bow as he's dismissed, and stalks out. "Bloody wizards."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodafowa wrote:
"And I don't just mean Ozgg's loincloth on laundry day, what?"

Wha day? grunts Ozgg as he perks up from his silent contemplation.

We go kill them now? Or more blah blah? His majesty asks clearly bored by the lack of stabbings, they've not even been cursed in some horrendous debilitating way yet.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"If it is all, then we should move out, shouldn't we?" suggests Endo.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The voyage up the Andoshen River is swift, and you enjoy good weather until the last hour, when a light rain begins to fall. Most of Sauerton appears well maintained, and although the seasonal workers who arrived a few months earlier to help pick the grapes have since departed, several presses are still set up in the town square—the residents await the return of fairer weather so they can resume their wine production.

As you navigate your way to the manor, a halfling wearing light armor and a rain-spattered helmet hails you with a warm smile. "Greetings friends! Welcome to Sauerton, my name is Captain Demrick of the nation of Andoran, what? What business brings you to our fair little village, hmmm? Sorry about the weather, it's a bit unpredictable down this way. Good for the grapes of course, but not so good for us warmblooded chaps, you know what I mean? Say, can I perchance be of any assistance in whatever matters may matter to such a fine lot as you?"

Lowering his voice slightly and leaning in to his fellow halflings he whispers.

Halfling:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"If these couple of likely looking ruffians are causing you fine young men any trouble, you just let me know, what? I'll take the skinny, weird looking guy with the stick and let you three gang up on the big buffoon and his son."
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiram breaks into a cheerful smile. "Why my dear old thing! What an utter delight it is to make your acquaintance. My name's Hiram Thistlefoot, and I'm here to rescue someone who probably doesn't need rescuing."

Halfling:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Enormously tempting though your offer is we probably ought to regretfully decline, old boy. The chap with the stick will start bloody talking at you, and believe you me none of us want that, what?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Endo bows slightly.
"Pleased to meet you. My name is Endo Fineleaf and this is Mr. Snuggles, my trusty companion."

Also a reply in Halfling:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Also don't provoke the big one lest you want to end as two quarterlings. Several people made the mistake and enraged him."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo removes his hat with a flourish. "Captain! We are honored to be greeted by your person. They did not need to send their best officer to meet us, but we shan't complain. I am the Marquis de Montajay, but perhaps better known as the thespian Milo Montajay, seducer of women and envy of men."

In halfling:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"As Hiram testifies, they are harmless. Just don't get downwind from his green majesty. I think his personal hygiene is a matter of... religion... and is not to be discussed."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk normal like Ozgg and Mojo! The half Orc shouts towering over the others.

Oook!

...an' why Ozgg here an' when he get to kill stuff? he grumbles, getting frustrated at being cooped up on the boat.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Demrick gives Indo and Ozzg a wary look after hearing his fellow halflings replies and then upon Endo's introduction reaches down and scratches Mr. Snuggles between the ears. "Mr. Snuggles, indeed! Fine animal...I never served in the cavalry myself, but always admired you lot. Always arriving at the just the right moment, when all seemed lost and saving the day, what?Say, by the sounds of it you're here to look into that terrible Andares business, am I right? Strange...can't imagine who'd have anything against the family, myself, especially not the young girl. Very sad. Very sad indeed. I'd be happy to take you to the manor, be a sort of a guide if you like. Least I can do under the circumstances, don't you think? Neighbourly thing to do and all that."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Terrible stuff indeed. I hear the Andares reputation is spotless. Perhaps too grand even? A source of envy for someone? Dark things can hide in the hearts of men." speaks Milo, studying the captain.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo sees nothing but a cheerful, if now slightly damp soldier. "Well, yes the Mayor is well loved, I grant you that. Not one for politics myself though, or politicians for that matter, eh what? Nothing personal of course, just that I've been trying to get more funds to get more guards for this town...keep out the wild animals, you understand. The current numbers just won't cut it. Haven't had much luck so far though, I'm afraid. Not getting much support from the Mayor, or the townsfolk for that matter, so I'll just have to make do with the lot that I've got." The halfling looks up at the drizzling rain and wipes some of the water out of his eye with a grimace. "Listen, it's genuinely lovely to chat with nice folks as you and all, but I'm pretty keen to get out the rain. Up to you if you want me to show you the way, but no skin off my nose. I'm heading that way so it's up to you really. Might help to have someone to vouch for you, don't you know? Unless you already know the Mayor or have an appointment that is?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Oh, please, do accompany us. A well connected man by our side is sure to grease the rusty wheels of bureaucracy. Tell us about this wonderful town on the way, if it pleases you? This business with wild animals does sound terrible, I say."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We kill animals? Ozgg do that good! his majesty says perking up.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cobb
United States
Cortland
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Indo is relatively quiet and spends most of the trip meditating. He is still trying to work through the insights he glimpsed while entering the Worldwound last mission, besides, the halflings were talkative enough for both himself and Ozzg.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Demrick cheerfully leads the group through Sauerton, pointing out different aspects of the town, such as the presses, the consul house and the one or two inns on the way. "Shan't be long now, chaps. It will be nice to get out of the rain. Ah there it is now! Impressive house isn't it? I'm told its design is Old Chelish but I'm not much of an expert on these things myself!"

The Andares mansion stands at the edge of a beautiful green and has a facade dominated by fine marble pillars. A thin, hook-nosed woman with graying brown hair held in a tight bun—answers the door. "Good afternoon Captain...gentlemen. How can I help you today?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] |