Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
406 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [17] | 

Mutant: År Noll» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: The People at the End of Time [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
IC || OOC || wiki


This is the IC-thread for my Mutant: Year Zero game.

Current players are:
Wolfgreen
msg tools
Avatar
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb


Characters:
Lin the Slave
Otiak the Bruiser
Kirbel the Junk Head
Silas the Chronicler
Finna the Dog Handler

Rules
Basic rules
using the dice roller
Trauma and resources
Roleplaying
Experience
Stuff to buy
The Rot
Conflicts
Using mutations
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
The Ark awakens to another day
The less used platform 3. The rays from the sun can really hurt you, so few stay here for long.

The Zone Wanderers returned early this morning. They went out at dawn, and came back shortly thereafter. They said there was frost on the ground, and that they hadn't put on enough clothes. Everyone is anxious about how you are supposed to get enough food this winter, but Johammed seems confident.

The Ark slowly comes to life, those that are nucturnal go to bed a quiet place, but most of the People have some day activity to keep them occuptied. Still, there is a feeling lethargy.

Not much of an opening post.

I would like to have a post from each that introduces your character. It can be strictly story if you like, but we can go into roleplaying and whatever if something fun emerges. Remember that very little is yet set in stone, so feel free to elaborate on what we know about the location and the People, especially your own character and the named NPCs.

After that we will have the council, which will put some momentum into the activity of the People, and then I will "play" the Threat, which will begin the scenario proper.

Sounds good and understandable? I will put up a post soon in the OOC-thread about experience points, so you'll know what kind of behaviour is rewarded.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Lin's morning
I don't remember whether we decided on first/third person.

When the Zone Wanderers' steps rattle through the rusty bottom of the old escalator, Lin is already awake. The small area where Kirbel stores his stuff, borders on a miniature maze of shopping carts with bent baskets, all filled with junk over the brim. This is where Lin works: Kirbel needs parts, and planks, and bolts, but only Lin knows the exact location of each small piece of junk. And even when she doesn't, she has enough time and patience to rake through the entire hoard.
Lin belongs to Kirbel. It was not always like this, but to Lin it seems like eternity. Or maybe she just prefers not to remember, out of her own will. It was a punishment. She still remembers the sad eyes of the Old Man, a hand attaching the chain to her leg, her first walk after Kirbel. But after that, all her days were so indistinguishable, that she just lost count.
Kirbel is good. He never makes Lin work too much, and when she gets lost in her dreams while searching for another nail or piece of rag, he is not scolding her. After all this time, Lin thinks of Kirbel as her savor and protector.
Tоday Lin will be doing another pass through the entire inventory. She pulls the nearest shopping cart closer, trying not to rattle her chain too much - it's still early, and some people can get angry very easily. Like Otiak. When Otiak gets angry on Lin, it usually ends with a kick or a punch.
Lin sighs and removes the cover of the cart. It will be a long day.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Finna wakes up at the gnarls of her dog Fingo. As she opens her eyes and looks up she can see a man quickly running away from her and her dog. She pets Fingo and takes a look in her bag and finds some leftovers from last nights diner. She quickly shares it with Fingo and then heads over to a small pool and washes her face.

It's time to get to work, well whatever you call work in this place. If only she could make it on her own away from the ark. Have a better life for both herself and Fingo. But that's not going to happen. She starts patrolling the Ark to see if she can find anything usefull to tell the boss.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirbel stumps down the escalator shortly after the Zone Wanderers' return, absently slapping his semi-frozen arms and glowering even more than usual. Despite the care Kirbel had taken to hide his distiller, something - or someone! - had found it and gotten into it. Not only that, but they’d broken it. It was going to take a while to get it working again, and first Kirbel was going to have to find a different hiding place. Just in case it was one of the Ark dwellers.

That was going to be difficult. Few of Kirbel’s fellows were willing to brave the world outside, but of those who did go out there - like the Zone Wanderers - most were willing to venture further than Kirbel himself dared. That placed a serious limitation on where he could hide things. Even worse, Kirbel wasn't sure his distiller would even work in the winter cold. It might be a while before Johammed got his next batch. The Boss wasn’t going to be happy.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgreen
msg tools
Avatar
Otiak groans as he awakes from his slumber, a good night's rest; mostly thanks to the alcohol that he had managed to bully and intimidate some citizens of the ark to give to him the night before. It was hard for even Otiak to find enough alcohol to become properly drunk these days, as the supplies were running lower and lower; but he had luckily found just enough for a cosy night sleep. His eyes move down to his chest, where the naked woman that he had swooned continued to breathe heavily; he sighs to himself, looking at the beautiful skin of the woman. Though, he knew these type; they had no where else to sleep, and his crib was one of the warmest and safer places available at this time of year. He knew this was the only reason she was here, yet it still felt good to have company; the way he treats citizens, he would be surprised if many people truly liked him these days. On most accounts, he cared very little; except for one particular woman of the Ark, who had gained his true love a little over a year ago when they had begun working together on some jobs, Finna, the dog handler.

He pushes the woman off, not even knowing her name; yet he did know she was one of the newer members of the whore house 'Crystal's passion', the most influential and richest, that attracted and hired only the most beautiful girls of highest calibre. "Time to get up sweetie, now get your pretty ass out of here!"

Once she was out, he stood; got dressed, had a small breakfast and begins working out with push-ups and weight lifting, thirty of each exercise before he would move onto the platforms and greet the new day. "1...2...3...4...5!"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm establishing some facts here, but I guess they could also be just Silas' ideas and rumours he's heard? How do you separate these things? Oh, and I kind of missed the "new day part", I guess my post is from the evening before.

Silas sits quietly and alone by the fire and scribbles into his battered old notebook.
"Tuesday, 62 days past the Day of Waning light
194 of the People survived the day
3 of our Wanderers are outside facing the unknown.

No news from the Old One.

I am worried. Today Marlotte and Johammed nearly came to blows. If it were only them perhaps that would be for the best, but I fear they will drag half the settlement along in their pointless fighting. We should be collaborating on bringing in winter supplies!

Johammed might not be the leader we were hoping for, but Marlotte is even worse. I'm not certain what she is on about with this talk of "keeping faith", but from what I've heard, this faith involves leaving people outside the Ark for the night, tied up to the old firewagon to the north. I must try patch things up with Otiak, I don't like the way Marlotte looks at him. I fear she's using him to attract followers.
"


He is interrupted in his journal keeping by a group of the People who comes to sit by the fire. They greet him warmly and ask him to tell a story. Silas has never been able to say no when someone asks for storytelling and starts telling the story of "The King and the Metal Man".

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Do you want to add something about how Silas starts his days, or should I go on with it? He might perhaps still be sleeping.

Also, establishing new things is cool, and I'll try to keep record of it. Just remember what has already been established.

Philip added a whore house, and that's fine. But added it was for the influental and rich, and only had beautiful girls. Remember there is only 197 people here. And every social development is new to you.

Regardless, very cool openings by everyone.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Silas wakes up early in the morning. Despite living deep under ground, he always seems to wake up around the same time. Together with Henkri, one of the People in the group living around the old service wagon, he grabs two buckets and starts the trek down to the lake to get water.

An hour later they are back. As Silas waits for the porridge to cook he thinks about the day to come. Things don't feel quite as bleak in the morning as they do in the evening.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
The Zone Wanderers seems to always be the early risers, they have something to prove. Through the tunnels you all hear the sound of wet feet on concrete, and you are not at all surprised when you see the Zone Wanderer Kara run past you with a look of desperation in her eyes. She is soaking wet, and her feet are bare. She finds each of the three major Bosses, and tells the same story to each of them in turn.

Kara has a pair of very helpful mutations. She is an amphibian, and parts of her body can glow when she wants them to. This makes her perfect for underwater exploration, and she has recently been doing just that in the cave below the station where you get your water.

The story she tells the bosses cause fear to spread throughout the Ark. It is known that the clean water in the underground cave comes from a broken pipe at the bottom of the cave lake. Recently the amount of water in the cavern has decreased significantly, but this has happened before. Today Kara discovered that the pipe is no longer emitting water. If this continues the cave will be empty in a few weeks, maybe less.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
No player input, so I’ll just continue.

Johammed doesn’t seem overly concerned at first, but when Marlotte starts to talk about the test of the People she senses is coming, even he gets worried. Vorhans is his must trusted Zone Wanderer, they have been close ever since childhood, and together they agree that Vorhans is to investigate the matter.

During the summer Vorhans discovered a strange island to the east. The water close to the island was unusually clean, and he could see a large pipe on the island going underground and in the direction of the Ark. On his return, the Junk Heads agreed that this probably was the source of the pipe that delivered the water to the cave under the Ark. Vorhans will take a party here to find out if there is something that can be done here to return the supply of clean water to the Ark.

For some reason this expedition interests you, but Vorhans always uses his own crew when he travels. As the morning progresses they are slowly preparing for departure.

We are in the Ark now, and I am slowly progressing the plot, you have the opportunity to do anything you want. Freedom is paralyzing, I know.

If you need some inspiration, we must also decide on a current project for the People. There is no set way how this is decided in-game, but out of character, it is decided by the players. So in your roleplaying, if you like, you can propose a project for the People, either with your character, or have someone else say it (for instance it was Johammed’s idea, but your character likes it). It might be wise for it to be discussed a bit before settling on one. Still, there may be multiple projects if you can’ agree.

A project can be something you build, but it can also be a social change.

Projects available at this moment are:
Fortifications
Hunting partis
Cannibalism
Cultivation
Slave marked
Pig sty
Temple
Fighting arena
Watch tower

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
When Kirbel finally arrives to his storage area, Lin is still at the very beginning of her inventory pass. Kirbel seems to be upset by something. "You look a bit down today, boss. Is it because of Vorhan's party? Do you think Johammed did not want you in it?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Finna keeps wandering around the camp. The lack of clear water isn't everything that's a need. Supplies are running low as well and we haven't yet found a good place where to hunt. If Finna could only get the bosses to make a scouting party to find some new supplies. She could do nicely in that.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoid wrote:
When Kirbel finally arrives to his storage area, Lin is still at the very beginning of her inventory pass. Kirbel seems to be upset by something. "You look a bit down today, boss. Is it because of Vorhan's party? Do you think Johammed did not want you in it?"
Kirbel waves a hand dismissively, still scowling. "Johammed is pissed at me for something completely unrelated. But what is Vorhans supposed to do out there? If someone else has hijacked the water supply, then I supposed an armed group might dislodge them, but that explanation is not consistent with the way the water supply has been diminishing over time. It's far more likely that there's a blockage of some sort, and that could be anywhere between the island and here.

"Nah, Johammed is sending Vorhans just to make a show of doing something. He hasn't got a clue how to deal with the situation. What we need is a water supply closer to home. And that might mean setting up a water purification plant. There must be something like that on the island, and we either need to move it or figure out how to make one like it.

"But there's no way Johammed would listen to me right now."


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Brent Johnson wrote:


"But there's no way Johammed would listen to me right now."


Lin wonders why is that: they seem to be in good relations until now, with that distiller producing enough to assure the big boss's favor. But her dreams quickly wander away, and now she is taken with the idea of the island. Sky. Maybe, plants? The whole idea of an open space is too fantastic for her.

"Boss, if you ever go to that island, would you take me with you? I could be helpful, carrying things, and sorting them... I'm strong."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoid wrote:
"Boss, if you ever go to that island, would you take me with you? I could be helpful, carrying things, and sorting them... I'm strong."
"Hm? Yeah, sure, sure," murmurs Kirbel absently, his thoughts on where best to locate a water purification plant nearby.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgreen
msg tools
Avatar
Otiak had just come from the makeshift gym, where the citizens go to keep fit with the iron pull-up bars and weights; he stretches as he walks onto the main platform, where speeches usually happen that needs to address many citizens at once. He stretches, hearing Marlotte speak of 'the test of the People'; he had spoken to him about this briefly before and shrugged it off as needless concern as things seemed to be improving. However, with the recent events and increasing pressure to find grubb and other necessary supplies, he begins to consider his speech more seriously.

He cheers alongside a small group of revolutionaries under Marlotte's influence. Once Johammed starts speaking, he stops cheering; he is not prepared yet to go against him in public, however behind the scene he plots his downfall.

Otiak moves closer to the speech podium / stage, in view of Marlotte, ensuring that they see each other. Locking eyes, he taps his head once as a signal; every few people know of his mutant ability, however Marlotte knows his skills brilliantly, having helped him previously. *Using his telepathy mutant ability, so nobody else except them have a private channel of communication* "Johammed had no idea about the test of the Peoples; and surely just wants to continue making a name for himself. It is time we start intercepting his plans; clearly, he wishes to send his 'trusted' Vorhans and a party of over-eager explorers, who will likely be unskilled and easily influenced. My idea is to search for another source of water; destroy any chance Vorhans has of supplying clean water from the pipe, and the alternative approach of gathering clean water will be in your name of you and your revolutionaries. How about it? You know I am skilled enough"

((This is a role-play situation, rather than a fight or argument, is a roll needed or not?))
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On his way up from the lake with fresh water Silas saw Kara running past and wondered what was up. As the news of the pipe spread through the camp he silently curses.

"As if the lack of grub wasn't enough. And what will happen to my mushroom growing project? No chance of getting a water pipe drawn to it now is it. Even if Vikton is on my side, I doubt he can convince the others as the water starts running out."

Feeling more and more worried he makes his way to "Platform 3" where the people have a meeting place.

I'm thinking that Silas's mushroom project is a Cultivation type project. He's read about how to grow mushrooms in an old book and wants to implement this to get more food for the people.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Brent Johnson wrote:

"Hm? Yeah, sure, sure," murmurs Kirbel absently

Suddenly, Lin remembers that thing she was thinking about yesterday. (This happens to her a lot - remembering things, forgetting, suddenly remembering again. Is it some kind of a protective behaviour she developed after becoming a slave?)
"Have you heard about that Place of Pristine Mind? Marlotte's fans are talking a lot about it. It's some dead-end corridor they use for their gatherings. I heard they need some kind of mechanical work there. Have they already spoken to you? I mean, you are good with figuring how to make stuff, and I thought..."

Project proposition - Temple
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirbel looks up, frowning. "Huh? Did you mean mystical or mechanical." He shakes his head violently. "It doesn't matter. That's all I need, is to do something for Marlotte. Johammed would never forgive me."

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Good question Philip. When you roleplay, I will sometimes request you roll. I will do this because I think there is a conflict. If you roll yourself, you signal me that there is a conflict. I know it doesn't sound like much of a difference, but a die roll usually means you want something to mean more. If you don't roll, I can respond as I like, but if you roll and succeed, it forces my hand more (also,if you fail, my NPC is forced to disagree). Still, try not to think too much about it, and have fun. 

There are now three suggestions for project, cultivation, hunting parties and temple. You are free to actually start working on one of them in your next post if you want to. You can roll for your work on a project once per session. Just describe what your character does, and roll the dice.

Temple: Endure or Manipulate
Cultivation: Endure or Zone knowledge
Hunting Parties: Endure or shoot

The first that rolls for contributing to a project should include something about how/why the People decides to do this.


Marlotte shakes her head to Otiak. "No, it is to soon. The rain water Kirbel collects is too little, we are not ready. There may not be another ready source of water. No one is as able as Vorhans, and his success is Johammed's success; but if he were to work for us.

Vorhans and his group finish their preparation, and leave quickly. The Ark is more quiet than usual, people seem unable to do nothing else than just sit around waiting.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After doing some recon work in the Ark Finna goes to Johammed. Well things seem to be quiet in the Ark she reports. Quieter then usual though. As I walked through the camp I noticed that supplies are running low, we should be forming a couple of new hunting parties and find outself some food. I know there isn't much around the Ark itself thus we should go further with a small team. I want to go if you like!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
"That might be a good idea Finna. Kara claims she is able to cook the Rot out off food, we should put that to the test. Don't go further than that someone in the party always have the Ark entrance in view. One hunting party won't be enough though."

As said, roll away Barad. Also, remember, you aren't just doing a hunting party, but rather creating a new way for the People to get food. You are creating the Hunting Party-institution.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
okay I'm rolling Endure, so that's 3 from my strenght and no bonusses.

3d6 = (3 + 5 + 4) = 12

Sorry forgot to put the other way in the roller, but no successes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 518094. Barad_the_dwarf
  • 3d6 =
  • (3 + 5 + 4) =
  • 12
  • Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:52 am
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
You could also have used shoot, which would give you two more dice. You want to roll them? Or you could Push the roll for more successes.

Also, this is partly a story game. What you do is equally important to how you roll. What does Finna do to creat hunting parties? Even if her action failed, she still did something.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [17] |