The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Thousand Year Old Vampire
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dinky Dungeons
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Avalon's Solo Adventure System
Shadowrun: Sixth World Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Rough Nights & Hard Days
Courts of Stone
LOAD ""
OVA: The Anime Role-Playing Game
Grimtina's Guard
Kids on Bikes
Ironsworn
Black Void
D&D Essentials Kit
Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
Trail of Cthulhu
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Pacific Rim Sourcebook
Melee
Powers & Perils (Basic Set)
Catapult Run
Big Rubble
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Symbaroum Core Rulebook
Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (Second Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Starter Set (4th Edition)
Realms of Terrinoth
Amazing Tales
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Forbidden Lands Card Deck
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Magical Kitties Save the Day
No Future
Maximum Apocalypse the Roleplaying Game Quickstart Guide
The Scroll or the Blade
GM's Maps 87: Warehouse
Highfell
Sanderson Distillery
Lokis: Sacred Isles of the Northmen
Death Star Technical Companion
Cyberspace
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


For the past two days you've been travelling south, following the western bank of the river Florsch. The river is wide and runs fast, but has provided several large fish which have kept your bellies full.

This morning you finally arrived at your destination, the small town of Hallid. Mainly a farming community, the town also plays host to many a traveler, and is well suited to do so.

As you near the bridge that will take you over the Florsch, you see the ruined remains of a large castle. East, past the town and the fields that surround it, lies a vast forest.


*Please note: The map is not intended to include every building in town, nor is it to scale. The ruins and the forest are both about a days walk, maybe more. You have two horses that you use to pull the small wagon where you keep your supplies, but the hills between the ruins and the town would be hard terrain for the horses to pull through. The forest would also have to be accessed on foot.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's mid-day when you cross the wooden bridge leading into Hallid. The warm spring sun shines down, a welcome warmth after the chilly evening before. A few children who were playing near the river bank follow you from a distance as you head into the town square.

The square is bustling with activity. Several people sell fresh produce and meats from the carts that they push into the square every day. Travelers come and go from the town's two inns, The Eagle's Nest and The Welcome Hearth. A pair of men lean against the doorway to the town's only tavern, The Gilded Maiden. Outside of what looks to be a general supply store, a young man and woman are selling some sort of cure-all out of a small painted wagon. In the center of the square there stands a stone statue depicting a bearded man. Along the base of the statue are inscribed the words Jurthem Hallid, Founder.

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zabai glances around the village with satisfaction, glad to have finally arrived and looking forward to being able to rest and take it easy after the journey--or at least get some food that doesn't involve fish. With a final look at the tavern he scampers up to the statue in the centre of the square for a closer inspection, keeping one predatory eye on the food carts all the while.
"Nice place you have here, Jurthem." He addresses the stone man cheerily whilst squinting at the inscription.

Does the inscription say anything else? Any other details about how it looks?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kashik is also ready for some civilized fare. "I'd be ready for a pint of the local brew," he says, eyeing the tavern.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanisiel looks around, a sad look on her face. She shakes her head as if to clear it. "I could do with a drink as well."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smith
Japan
Fukuoka
flag msg tools
badge
A very irregular head
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thales looks around the town square warily, paying particular attention to the statue. "So, a drink?" he asks.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kezle wrote:
Zabai glances around the village with satisfaction, glad to have finally arrived and looking forward to being able to rest and take it easy after the journey--or at least get some food that doesn't involve fish. With a final look at the tavern he scampers up to the statue in the centre of the square for a closer inspection, keeping one predatory eye on the food carts all the while.
"Nice place you have here, Jurthem." He addresses the stone man cheerily whilst squinting at the inscription.

Does the inscription say anything else? Any other details about how it looks?


The statue is of amateur construction. There's no master's hand at work here. The features are plain, with hardly any detail to see. While it appears to be quite old, it's obviously well taken care of and cleaned regularly. There's no bird droppings on it and wildflowers are growing in a neat circle around the base of the statue. The inscription is short and simple, nothing more than noted.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


The Gilded Maiden is pleasantly well lit inside and the decor is more welcoming than many of the watering holes you've seen on your travels.

A group of old men sit at a table by the front window. They're drinking a dark brown, almost black, ale out of large ceramic mugs and playing a card game.

Other than the barkeep, they're the only ones in here.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well you're a silent one," Zabai remarks, straightening up as he finishes his examination. "See you later then, Jurthem."
Giving the statue a cheerful wave goodbye Zabai jogs back to where his companions had been, glancing around a bit before his eyes settle on The Gilded Maiden.

Emerging into the tavern at a jog he spots his companions and calls out to them."I'm parched. Can I hope one of you lads is buying?" Before making his way towards the bar, only to stop by the front window to admire the old men's game. Hopping onto a nearby seat, his thirst momentarily ignored, he cranes his neck for a better view."What're you all playing?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kezle wrote:
"Well you're a silent one," Zabai remarks, straightening up as he finishes his examination. "See you later then, Jurthem."
Giving the statue a cheerful wave goodbye Zabai jogs back to where his companions had been, glancing around a bit before his eyes settle on The Gilded Maiden.

Emerging into the tavern at a jog he spots his companions and calls out to them."I'm parched. Can I hope one of you lads is buying?" Before making his way towards the bar, only to stop by the front window to admire the old men's game. Hopping onto a nearby seat, his thirst momentarily ignored, he cranes his neck for a better view."What're you all playing?"


At first the men don't respond. They could be engrossed in the game, or simply ignoring Zabai. Finally, after a flurry of action, during which all of the men are flipping cards and taking cards from each other, one of the men stands and flips his last card on which is a picture of a black dragon. The man yells "Wyrm!" and begins to laugh. He turns and winks at Zabai, and still laughing says, "The game is called Wyrm."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Looks fancy," Zabai grins along with the man. "And good name too, Wyrms never get old. I should know, I've seen one." Pausing to wink at the man, though whether in joke or shared conspiracy is hard to say, Zabai continues.
"For that sort of a game a winner deserves a drink. Any of you lads care to join in too, my friends are buying." Zabai offers, careful to keep his voice a bit lower at that last part as he casts a glance over at his companions.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After securing himself a mug of dark ale and taking a long satisfying draught, Kashik takes in his surroundings. He has no time to study them because he sees Zabai has insinuated himself with the men playing cards.

Concerned that Zabai's mouth will get them all in trouble, but also interested in getting more information about the town, and also interested in the card game itself, he joins the group.

"I hope my little 3-foot friend isn't disturbing you gentlemen?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Would I do such a thing?" Zabai says in mock indignation before putting on his most innocent smile. "I was simply explaining to these fine gentlemen how you had most generously offered to buy them all drinks."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanisiel takes a sip from the mug of ale she just bought, and make appreciative noises "Mmmmm, not bad at all."

She looks over to her friends. 'Good, they're getting to know the locals. Better leave them to it, I don't want to end up buying all the drinks like last time.'

Turning back to the barkeep she asks, "Anything interesting going on here?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jhhoffmann wrote:
After securing himself a mug of dark ale and taking a long satisfying draught, Kashik takes in his surroundings. He has no time to study them because he sees Zabai has insinuated himself with the men playing cards.

Concerned that Zabai's mouth will get them all in trouble, but also interested in getting more information about the town, and also interested in the card game itself, he joins the group.

"I hope my little 3-foot friend isn't disturbing you gentlemen?"


"Why not at all. We're always glad to spend time with the younger generation."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kezle wrote:
"Would I do such a thing?" Zabai says in mock indignation before putting on his most innocent smile. "I was simply explaining to these fine gentlemen how you had most generously offered to buy them all drinks."


One of the men claps Zabai on the shoulder, "And for that we're most grateful!"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Polgara wrote:
Tanisiel takes a sip from the mug of ale she just bought, and make appreciative noises "Mmmmm, not bad at all."

She looks over to her friends. 'Good, they're getting to know the locals. Better leave them to it, I don't want to end up buying all the drinks like last time.'

Turning back to the barkeep she asks, "Anything interesting going on here?"


The barkeep mindlessly wipes down the bartop, and responds, "It's a bit early in the day. Most of my customers don't come in until the work day has ended. They're should be a good crowd tonight, though."

(If you'd like to try and get more info, you might need to ask a more direct question. Include a Diplomacy check on your next post if that's your intention. That would be a simple d20 for Tanisiel, no modifiers to the roll.)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


A general note for everyone.

As you haven't been hired as of yet, you'll weant to find the town council at some point. That's not to say there's nothing to benefit from talking to the other townsfolk, in fact that's a good idea. Just make sure you strike a deal with the council if you want to get paid!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
One of the men claps Zabai on the shoulder, "And for that we're most grateful!"

"Excellent!" Turning he waves to the barkeep. "A round of ale for these wonderful gentlemen! My friend here will take care of the tab." Indicating Kashik with an offhand wave, Zabai turns his attention back to the men.

"So do you lads come here often? You must have the best stories! My companions and I have only just arrived but we've heard our own share of tales about this place on our journey. Something to do with the local council looking for help, you know about it?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kezle wrote:
Mulligans wrote:
One of the men claps Zabai on the shoulder, "And for that we're most grateful!"

"Excellent!" Turning he waves to the barkeep. "A round of ale for these wonderful gentlemen! My friend here will take care of the tab." Indicating Kashik with an offhand wave, Zabai turns his attention back to the men.

"So do you lads come here often? You must have the best stories! My companions and I have only just arrived but we've heard our own share of tales about this place on our journey. Something to do with the local council looking for help, you know about it?"


The old men quiet up a bit as the smiles fade from their faces. One of them replies, "Ay. It's a nasty bit of business, I'm afraid. Livestock stolen in the middle of the night. People gone missing, never to be heard from again. At least they've decided to do something about it. It's about time that damned council does something other than sit on their rumps."

The other men grumble and nod their approval.

He continues, "Say, you folks here to set things right? Sounds like we should be doing the buying of ale."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
The old men quiet up a bit as the smiles fade from their faces. One of them replies, "Ay. It's a nasty bit of business, I'm afraid. Livestock stolen in the middle of the night. People gone missing, never to be heard from again. At least they've decided to do something about it. It's about time that damned council does something other than sit on their rumps."

The other men grumble and nod their approval.

He continues, "Say, you folks here to set things right? Sounds like we should be doing the buying of ale."

"It sounds a hard thing but it'll be done soon, we're here to make sure of that," Zabai pauses and continues in a more somber tone than before."You know any of the missing? They have family, friends?"

He halts again but this time to let his former grin return. "As for the ale I'd say you lads, and most of the town, deserve it, but I'm sure my friend here won't argue payment with you."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Annoyed that Zabai is spending his money for him, Kashik pays for the drinks. He might have bought a round anyway in exchange for information.

"So tell me, whom shall we speak to on the council, and where can we find him? We might be able to help -- for the right price."

Here's a roll for the appropriate skill check (Diplomacy?), if needed: skill check 1d20 = (12) = 12

edit: who -> whom modest
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 515544. jhhoffmann
  • 1d20 =
  • (12) =
  • 12
  • skill check
  • Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:59 pm
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


The old men are pretty friendly, no need for the Diplomacy roll. The barkeep, on the other hand, has learned to be more cautious when dealing with newcomers.

I'll be posting some more info as soon as I get home.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"You're living quite close to a forest, it reminds me of my hometown. Could you tell me something about the place? I might like to have a look.", Tanisiel asks, not wanting to come right out and ask about a possible job yet.


Diplomacy check 1d20 = (19) = 19 Like this?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 515624. Polgara
  • 1d20 =
  • (19) =
  • 19
  • Diplomacy check
  • Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 pm
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Polgara wrote:
"You're living quite close to a forest, it reminds me of my hometown. Could you tell me something about the place? I might like to have a look.", Tanisiel asks, not wanting to come right out and ask about a possible job yet.


Polgara previously rolled 1d20 = (19) = 19 (Diplomacy check ) Like this?


haha! Yep, just like that. Keep rolling those 19s and you might just live to tell the tale!

The barkeep brightens at the mention of the forest. "Whitemoss Wood? That's what they've always called it. Long as I can remember anyways. When I was young we'd sneak away to go there. We used to make bets on who would go in the farthest."

After pausing to perhaps reflect on days gone by, the barkeep leans in close to Tanisiel and adds, "I always won. Wound up with a nice scar for one of those times though."

Winding up his shirt sleeve, the barkeep reveals a scar that runs the entire length of his forearm.

Over at the table of old men, one of them asks, "Is he showin the scar again? Another replies, "He is.".

The barkeep pays no mind to them and concludes his tale. Still leaning in to speak directly to Tanisiel he says, "Wild boar"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [43] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.