Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
481 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] | 

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Paco's Salt Pit - IC (In Character) Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2014 [+] [View All]
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't supposed to be like this.

But in times of relative peace, opportunities for adventurers can be few and far between. You didn't spend all that time in apprenticeship for a job as an overqualified Civil Servant, but on the other hand you can't just sit in a tavern waiting for the loved ones of kidnap victims to come to you for help, or for treasure maps to drop in your lap. So here you are, a tax collector for the City League. Not a job which ensures popularity, but at least you get to use your hard-earned skills occasionally, and it pays the bar tab at the Wicked Lady.

A weekday like any other in the pleasant but chilly spring month of Dibble. You have been assigned a trip out of t'League to visit a worker whose tax payment is overdue. The Senior Advocate has decreed that four Controllers (you), will head west out of the cities to Oak Cradle, where a Miner called Paco and his family work a salt pit behind their house. The tax is two baskets of salt, three times each year, and payment is a month overdue. This is not an account with which there has previously been any difficulty, but Paco will need to be reminded about the importance of the regularity of the payment.

You check the notice-boards around the Wicked Lady. No requests for adventurers to clear an ancestral seat of invading monsters. No missing duchesses. No merchant caravans looking for guards. So it looks like a trudge out to some house in the middle of nowhere. At least it isn't raining...


It's early, but the Pedlars in Westmeet Square are already busy tending their clutch of stalls in the centre of the cobbled area. It's an unwritten rule in the City League that you don't set up a stall selling the same goods as the shops around you, so although clothes, crockery, pans, lanterns, rope, and other general supplies are available, there are no weapons or armour because these can be purchased in the shops surrounding the square.

The Castle-Gate is already open, and a couple of bored looking sentries chat idly, awaiting incoming traffic. The large sandy coloured building adjacent to the gate, with the three-story tower and archway is the Travellers' Shrine, a multi-denominational establishment ready to assist adventurers newly arrived with wealth and injuries associated with it; to the other side of the gate is the rather more modest Gert's Armourers.

Further around the square, the scruffy looking Black Pig and the ancient Ford Inn are both open for breakfast, but there is no movement as yet from the Apothecary or the Weapon Designers' Workshop.

Small roads lead away from the square into the the rest of t'League and towards the docks. Your path lies westward, out of the gate and across the river.

Looking up, you feel the warmth of the spring sun on your faces. In your pockets are the authorisation scrolls given to you by the Advocate and in your ears is the reassuring gentle song of the Lygol River as it strolls on its way to the Trade Sea and the centre of the world where can be found the Perfect Kingdoms.

The smell of cooking meat brings you back down to earth. "Fried sweetmeats good fellows?"
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Richards
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take some of those, no point us going out on an empty stomach

((Eyeing up the others whilst digging for some coin))

It's Michaels by the way, I take it you're the others assigned to this one?
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ooooo, thankin' yer dearie" says the old lady as she skewers something unidentifiable on a tray tied around her neck.

"Them's the best bits o' the ram them's is."

She hands a stick to you, with a large glob of fatty meat about the size and shape of a chicken's egg, spiked on the end.

She smiles, revealing several missing teeth and holds out her palm expectantly.

"Thas two coppers luvvie."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
 

(Said seriously to all)
Empty Stomach !!..... I ate back at the Tavern "Before" I started work !

(.... but then he winks and a wide grin appears on his face)
I'll take a drink though, I need a pick me up after last night's festivites.

(Speaking to the old woman)
"Got anything to quench my thirst good Lady"

( To Michaels)
Good to meet you Michaels my names Fynn. I was wondering, is it usual for the advocate to send 4 of us out ? I've only ever collected in t'league and this seems a bit heavy handed if you ask me...unless he's expecting trouble.

Anyway on a day like today it will be better out in the countryside than couped up in the city



5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fynn wrote:
"Got anything to quench my thirst good Lady"
"'S the Pig you'll be wantin' luvvie." she says, nodding towards an area behind you. "Sweetmeats? Very juicy."
Fynn wrote:
is it usual for the advocate to send 4 of us out ? I've only ever collected in t'league and this seems a bit heavy handed if you ask me...unless he's expecting trouble.
Yes, that's true, the normal away party would be two. You know though that this is an account with which there has previously been no problem at all, so extra bodies are being sent as a precaution.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Assigned? That's a good word for it - out in the bloody sun and all. Not the kind of work I am used to from that there Advocate.

Vishar adjusts his cloak hood further over his brow to shade his eyes

Michaels, is it? Reckon you will need to stop at the Traveller's Shrine before we go being that you ate some not-so-sweet meat.

Vishar shakes his head and snickers, glances sideways at Fynn

An elf, huh? Well, name's Vishar - I'm thinking real food down 'ere at the Black Pig, who's coming?
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Richards
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michaels takes a bite and immediately looks regretful but finishes it anyway, tossing the hag her two copper.

Black Pig sounds good actually. But let's not stop long, I'd rather get this done and on to more interesting things. Besides, shouldn't take long with the lot of us.
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The square is getting busier with every passing minute. A small group of boys kicks a vaguely spherical object around, and loud voices negotiate prices with the Pedlars. The door to the Apothecary opens and a wizened old gnome stands in the doorway for a few seconds, puffing on a pipe, before retreating once again and letting the door swing shut behind him.

At the gate itself a farmer with a cart of potatoes hands some coins to the sentry.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah - you be right, Michaels. Best get it started then done in time for second breakfast.

Vishar scans the square, looking between people and carts.

Advocate said four, eh?
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew pollak
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I believe I will chance a stop a the tavern 'ere we take to the road. A pint of Pig sounds like the right kind of wake me up!
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Richards
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michaels begins trudging to The Pig

Anyone been to Oak Cradle before? I had a stop through there a few years ago and can't say I cared for it.
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! Second breakfast - good!

Vishar nudges his way past the other party members, keenly glancing at their purses, and heads further around the square towards Black Pig
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew pollak
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Following Vishar at an amiable lope, I say to no one in particular, "and on Saturdays the Pig pints are two for one. . . "

Licking my lips in anticipation, I amble along.
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Black Pig, a slightly run-down two storey building which has seen better days, is situated to the north of the square, nestled between Gert's Armourers and the Weapons Designers Workshop.

There are two ground floor windows looking out on to the square, and a large upper storey window and door which lead out to a rickety wooden balcony. The only entrance into the building from the square is through an archway and along an alley leading to an open courtyard, from which there is a door leading into the downstairs bar area.

The roundish object being kicked about by the group of boys rolls and stops just short of 1custom4{Bledsoe;Vishar;Michaels;Fynn} -> ( Bledsoe) -> ( Bledsoe). 4 boys come charging towards you, shrieking and laughing.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 517839. vosarnath
  • 1custom4{Bledsoe;Vishar;Michaels;Fynn} =
  • ( Bledsoe) =
  • ( Bledsoe)
  • Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:19 pm
Andrew Bone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb


Not for me, Thanks I've already eaten


Fynn thanks the merchant and follows his companions to the Pig
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew pollak
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I examine the object being kicked and recoil, it is a badly mauled . . .
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like some kind of animal with protective horny plates, curled up tightly in a defensive ball. Unfortunately you don't get much chance to examine it because you are clattered into by a gaggle of grubby urchins.

Please make a saving throw vs paralysation to avoid being knocked onto your backside.

You do this by using the geekroller. Click on the little box that says "Roll" above the box for your reply text, and then enter "d20" in the Roll section of the pop-up box, and finally click the "add roll" button. You won't see the result until you submit your reply. The system keeps a permanent record of all rolls. Here's me rolling a d100:

d100 = (36) = 36

In AD&D saving throws are all done using a d20. These are used to see whether you avoid the worst affects of something, e.g. if you are poisoned, or the subject of a spell.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 517847. vosarnath
  • d100 =
  • (36) =
  • 36
  • Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:48 pm
andrew pollak
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Bledsoe rolls1d20 = (6) = 6
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 517873. Quervo1
  • 1d20 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:15 pm
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that's it! Sadly saving throws need high numbers

Beldsoe goes down on the ground and four muddy children fall on top of him. It is a mass of limbs and runny noses, and then a mad scrabble to get up.

"Sorry mister, it were Charlie's fault, e weren't lookin'"

"Sorry yerself, Billy 'awkins, you tripped me!"

"Did not!

etc

The ball meanwhile is trying to sneak off. One of the other boys grabs it by the tail and it instinctively curls up again. He rolls it away, and the four urchins chase after it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check fer yer purse, Cleric... it is likely lighter than before.

Vishar reaches down to help Bledsoe stand, snarls at the remaining urchins.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew pollak
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
"Thank you, friend." (patting myself down) "hmmm. . .all seems intact. .."
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vishar wrote:
snarls at the remaining urchins.
Only the backs of urchins as they scamper away, tormenting the plated animal.

Bledsoe wrote:
"hmmm. . .all seems intact. .."
Except for the fact that your purse is, indeed, missing.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew pollak
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Rechecking my possessions I make a startling discovery.

"Valfather grant me strength. I've been robbed!"
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Richards
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michaels stops midstride and turns, instantly alert, his eyes narrowing to asset the threat.

What?! Who? Where? Them?

He points at the hastily departing urchins and takes off after them yelling

Get back here yer miserable tykes!
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Their departure was hasty, but as soon as they hear you shouting they break into a run. How serious are you about chasing them? You are wearing splint mail so will be going at around half their speed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] |