Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The keep looming high on the hill has long been a source of fearsome tales and terrible legends. The locals are steeped in superstitious lore surrounding the keep; some of the tales ring with truth while others are misleading wives’ tales or the fanciful mumblings of a town drunk.

Now you stand before the ruined keep, which squats atop a low, craggy hill, its walls of toppled stone and massive granite blocks hinting at forgotten battles and the clash of mighty armies. Now the ruins seem host only to creeping vines and the foul miasma that drifts down from the keep.

The air is overrun with pestilence. Fat flies bite at you incessantly, and clouds of small black insects choke your every breath. The long abandoned land is choked with thorny vines that drape the sickly trees and hang from the ruined walls. There is an odor of rot and decay, as if the hill itself were decomposing from within.

A sight gives you pause: a ragged banner, depicting a crimson skull on a black field, stands high atop the ruined walls.

Whatever lurks within has terrorized you and your village for far too long. Just eleven days ago, Keary and Alban, sons of the local smith, vanished. You turn to your companions and ready your meager weapons. The time for retribution has come.

General Features: The keep’s walls rise 30 feet from their rammed earth embankments. The walls and all the fallen stones are covered in a patchwork of moss, sickly vines, and lichen. Rather than simple carved blocks, the keep seems to have been built of enormous standing stones and mighty dolmens. The blocks are fitted together crudely, leaving cracks between the stones for rotting vegetation and pools of water that act as host to the gnats and mosquitoes.

Approaching the Ruins: The group is free to enter as you see fit. There are a few obvious approaches...
Approach from the south and cross the causeway leading to the front of the keep.
Approach from the northwest and climb through rubble and into the keep.
Approach from the northeast where there is a giant sink hole.
Scale one of the walls. Western wall or eastern wall.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For GM only:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Bifford rumor 1d10 = (1) = 1
dmcallahan rumor 1d10 = (5) = 5
Mulligans rumor 1d10 = (5) = 5
Polgara rumor 1d10 = (10) = 10
XXav1er rumor 1d10 = (3) = 3

I will use spoiler text from time to time to make a roll "behind the GM screen". Please do not reveal the text until after the adventure is over. Then you can go back and read everything, finding out what was going on in the background.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 513583. philfry
  • 1d10 =
  • (1) =
  • 1
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 3:23 pm
  • [+]
  • 513584. philfry
  • 1d10 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 3:23 pm
  • [+]
  • 513585. philfry
  • 1d10 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 3:23 pm
  • [+]
  • 513586. philfry
  • 1d10 =
  • (10) =
  • 10
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 3:23 pm
  • [+]
  • 513587. philfry
  • 1d10 =
  • (3) =
  • 3
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 3:23 pm
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For your eyes only:
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The great treasure vault of a lost dynasty remains hidden beneath the keep.

You are free to share, or not share, this information with the rest of the party.


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For your eyes only:
David Callahan
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The keep was ruled by chaos lords. Even after their defeat, their corpses were never discovered.

You are free to share, or not share, this information with the rest of the party.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For your eyes only:
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The keep was ruled by chaos lords. Even after their defeat, their corpses were never discovered.

You are free to share, or not share, this information with the rest of the party.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For your eyes only:
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The keep was once ruled by a pair of brothers—chaos lords, the foulest champions of evil to ever stalk the land.

You are free to share, or not share, this information with the rest of the party.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For your eyes only:
Mark Gibson
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb

Spoiler (click to reveal)
While the keep fell to the armies of good, they did not eradicate its fell legacy. Evil still festers within the ruined walls, awaiting the day when it can emerge once more.

You are free to share, or not share, this information with the rest of the party.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gibson
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Erik ( 4 / 4 hp ), Garret ( 6 / 6 hp), Shawna ( 4 / 4 hp), Flece (1 / 1 hp)
Marching order:
Erik
Garret
Shawna
Flece
(I'll try to keep it the same as in the subject line and make a point of commenting on any change)

Flece hesitates before the keep, her survival instincts screaming at her to run away while she still has legs and doesn't actually need her crutches!

Shawna recommends a stealthy approach from downwind "Take them from the rear where they least expect it", she nods.

"Well you'll need a winch and pulley to get me over that wall, i ain't built for climbin!" grumbles Garret, almost as wide as he is tall.

Erik shrugs and points toward the broken wall in the northwest.
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xxav1er wrote:
Marching order:
Erik
Garret
Shawna
Flece
(I'll try to keep it the same as in the subject line and make a point of commenting on any change)

Flece hesitates before the keep, her survival instincts screaming at her to run away while she still has legs and doesn't actually need her crutches!

Shawna recommends a stealthy approach from downwind "Take them from the rear where they least expect it", she nods.

"Well you'll need a winch and pulley to get me over that wall, i ain't built for climbin!" grumbles Garret, almost as wide as he is tall.

Erik shrugs and points toward the broken wall in the northwest.

Thanks Mark. The subject line will really help. (BTW, this is the color I will use for OOC comments.)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Callahan
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fitcher (HP 2, Remaining HP 2); Gordon (HP 5, Remaining HP 5); Thanus (HP 3, Remaining HP 3); Aticus (HP 1, Remaining HP 1)
Marching Order (which I will keep in that order in the subject line:
Fitcher
Gordon
Thanus
Aticus

"Good idea Eric," says Fitcher. "There may be some passage we can make within the rubble."

Gordon stands there trying o fight the urge to eat again, with thoughts of it being his last meal...

Thanus begins to day dream of how much fun it would be to steal that flag.

Aticus is beginning to think 6 sling stones is not enough and begins to look for good rocks to add to his arsenal.
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For GM only:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Aticus luck (16) at finding stones... 1d20 = (16) = 16. If he's lucky he'll find 2d6 = (5 + 1) = 6 sub-standard stones (-2 to hit).

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 513737. philfry
  • 1d20 =
  • (16) =
  • 16
  • Aticus luck (16) at finding stones...
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 8:00 pm
  • [+]
  • 513739. philfry
  • 2d6 =
  • (5 + 1) =
  • 6
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 8:00 pm
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aticus finds six stones that he thinks might fly true.

Character sheet updated.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


In order that I shall be kind of caught up... all of my characters are shaking in their boots. As they should be. They'll follow the crowd in whichever direction they take to enter enter the ruins. weapons drawn.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Game is on hold for the weekend. Please post by midnight (US-EST) Monday if I have requested anything from you.

Even though the game is on hold, I do check periodically over the weekend.

Still needed:
Bifford - Marching order and preference for entry into the keep.
Mulligans - Marching order.
Polgara - Marching order and preference for entry into the keep.

The question at hand: "How should we enter the keep?"
dmcallahan = through rubble
Mulligans = no preference
XXav1er = through rubble
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Melbourne (R) HP 1/1 | Smelly Willy (G) HP 3/3 | Halpen the Healer (B) HP 3/3 | Legless Lackwit (O) HP 2/2
Marching order as above: Eric (told to be at the front!); Willy; Halpen; Legless

After thinking for a moment Legless starts in on a mini speech. "Well now, friends, colleagues, comrades, tag-alongs, and pull-alongs! We are here, and we need to be there! I'm no shrinking violet, and I'm pretty flexible, but I think the Sinkhole and wall-climbing might be somewhat slightly beyond the abilities of, er, some of our number. I recommend we go in via rubble or the causeway, though the causeway will be far too obvious. maybe we could take our enemy by surprise by walking in where they least expect it!"

With that little speech over and done with, Halpen joins in and says, "Eric, you'll go up front whichever way in we choose. Hear me boy? That's a good lad, you protect your elders and betters, okay? I say we go in via the rubble." He then takes out a bit of material and places it over his nose and mouth, tieing it behind his head, so that the insects can't get into his mouth.

Eric simply nods mutely at Halpen's orders. 'His is not to question why, his is but to do and di....well hopefully not to die...!'

Willy watches numbly, his mouth working away, chewing a wad of tobacco, or something that's at least part tobacco! He keeps quiet and gives no opinion, just looks very forlorn and like a dog that has just been kicked by it's "loving" master.

OOC: GM boss, can Willy use his last 2cp to get a pipe and some "tobacco" (probably inferior quality with only about 50% actual tobacco leaf!)
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hedric HP 4/4, Lisi HP 3/3, George HP 2/2, Celia HP 4/4.
Marching order as above

'He's trying to decide what to do... and not getting very far.', Celia thinks while looking at George. 'Hedric is just standing there, as if at attention. He's waiting for someone to start giving orders.', she realizes. 'Where did that halfling go, she was here a minute ago.'

"Lisi, where did you go to!", Celia calls, "We need to decide where to go."

'I guess it's up to me. There was something about the people living here, something bad... I wish I could remember what exactly. I guess the causeway's out, they'd see us coming. And there's no way I'm scaling a wall with a cow. So I guess we're clearing rubble.'

"Allright everyone, lets see if we can enter the keep through the rubble. You take point Hedric, and keep that sword and shield ready to protect us." Celia orders.

"Yes, Sir!" Hedric starts moving towards the rubble.

"I was just looking at the gnats, they make such pretty patterns when they fly around like that.", Lisi interrupts, walking up from behind some shrubbery.

"There you are! Try to focus Lisi, this is important. You follow Hedric through the rubble. George, you go behind Lisi, and make sure she doesn't wander off again. I'll go last and lead the cow."

"Ok.", says George.

I assumed that Celia would have cow on the rope already, how else would she have gotten it there...




5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glorin HP 1/1 - Solace HP 3/3 - Mary HP 2/2 - Llanwin HP 2/2


Marching in order as noted in subject line.

Glorin Stonebeard follows the others through the rubble, taking care with his every step. He notes that someone has brought a cow and wonders how long until they'll be eating it.
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
OOC: GM boss, can Willy use his last 2cp to get a pipe and some "tobacco" (probably inferior quality with only about 50% actual tobacco leaf!)

Sure. Corncob pipe and a pouch of "Old Stinkweed."
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ruined Wall:
The keep’s massive wall has collapsed here, spilling cyclopean stone blocks down the rocky slope. The blocks are precariously balanced atop one another, like a titan’s game of dice.

What will you do?

Don't roll dice unless I tell you to.

If you think you have an appropriate skill due to your occupation, state your case. This applies to most circumstances (except combat which is pretty straight forward, but...). Remember DCC RPG stresses rulings over rules.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For Glorin Stonebeard and Halpen only:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You can tell that this is indeed a dangerous way to enter the keep. But if everyone is careful and if someone competent finds the safest path, you should be able to make your way through without triggering a landslide.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gibson
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Erik ( 4 / 4 hp ), Garret ( 6 / 6 hp ), Shawna ( 4 / 4 hp ), Flece (1 / 1 hp )
Erik pauses, considering the mess of boulders, "I don't think i brought the right shoes for this." he mumbles, tapping his chin with his shoehorn.

Shawna walks up behind and pokes him. "What's the problem? Losing your nerve?"

Garret huffs, grumbling something about being a halfling, not a mountain pony.

With her crutches slung over her shoulder, Flece feels confident she could traverse the stones, but glancing at the halfling she feels slightly less sure that this is a good idea.
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
8 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Melbourne (R) HP 1/1 | Smelly Willy (G) HP 3/3 | Halpen the Healer (B) HP 3/3 | Legless Lackwit (O) HP 2/2

Halpen looks at the boulders and megaliths around him, some precariously perched atop others, and converses with the other dwarf, Glorin. "We could find a safe route through for us, but what about the idiot with the cow? You should go first and I'll help direct the others."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone at full HP.



Glorin considers Halpen's assessment. He does his own calculations. Looks at the rocks, looks at the cow. He thinks to himself, If it broke it's leg, we'd have no choice but to eat it! But no, that's no solution to the actual problem.

"Perhaps we've made a wrong turn. I doubt we'll all make it safely over these massive stones, but just the same, there's probably no real safety to any one path."

Glorin tries to spot a safe course through the giant stones and will set off only as far as a few paces to see how stable the terrain is.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For GM only:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Glorin's intelligence check (DC8)... 1d20-1 = (17) - 1 = 16
Halpen's intelligence check (DC8)... 1d20 = (15) = 15

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 514358. philfry
  • 1d20-1 =
  • (17) - 1 =
  • 16
  • Glorin's intelligence check (DC8)...
  • Sun Mar 9, 2014 3:49 pm
  • [+]
  • 514359. philfry
  • 1d20 =
  • (15) =
  • 15
  • Halpen's intelligence check (DC8)...
  • Sun Mar 9, 2014 3:52 pm
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [23] |