The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
OSR Solo
Star Crossed
Disciples of Bone & Shadow: Core Rules
Ironsworn
Art and Arcana: A Visual History
Thousand Year Old Vampire
Highfell
D&D Essentials Kit
Angmar: Land of the Witch King
Ars Magica (5th edition)
Catapult Run
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Darkly Through the Labyrinth
Numenera: Starter Set
The Tragedy of GJ 237b
Beamswords and Bazookas
Bob, Lord of Evil Gamemaster Screen
Drowning and Falling
Microscope
Out of the Abyss
Dark Streets 2nd Edition
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
The Breached Fortress of Anoros
A Field Guide to Hot Springs Island
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to Combat
Spookshow
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Gamma World Roleplaying Game
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Dungeon Master's Kit
Fate Core System
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Rise of Tiamat
The Strange
The Secrets of Cats
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Storm King's Thunder
TimeWatch
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Adventurer's Companion
Bree
Tomb of Annihilation
Building Tomorrow
Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
618 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [25] | 

Dungeons & Dragons (4th Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: The Wizard's Tower - IC (Table 1) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ratibor
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
OOC is here

There was a time of great empires and mighty rulers, a time of flying cities and powerful mages. But then it all came to a sudden end. The magic, which was the basis for all this greatness, went out of control. The flying cities fell. The seas became deserts. It rained fire. The mountains turned to dust. The mages burnt in this uncontrolled outburst. The land underwent 300 years of ruin. As time went buy, the magic calmed down, and the surviving races came to live in peace. Too few sentient beings and too much free space contributed greatly to this.

Most of civilization is centred in big cities and areas immediately around them, the rest of the land is wild, and who knows what beasts and horrors may live there. Trade proliferates, but only with big well-guarded caravans. The Dwarves gladly buy food, both common and exotic, and sell weapon, armour and other products of their craft. The Orcs gladly buy from the Dwarves, and sell magic artifacts found in their lands in the days of yore. Those are gladly bought by the Gnomes and the Halflings, who trade the works of art, both of their own creation and that of the ancient epochs. The art is eagerly purchased by the Elves, who provide the exotic food so appreciated by the Dwarves. And Humans - humans buy everything and sell everything.

A trading human town of the Loud Rapids lies in the north. The rapids themselves are long gone as a result of the rogue magic, but no one remembers this, and the name stands. The river runs from the East to the West, to the north are the lands of the Orcs, to the east - the woods of the Elves, and to west - the fields of the Halflings and partly - the mountains of the Dwarves. Humans reside to the south. The trade runs well here due to the river.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratibor
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Your party met when you were hired to protect a big caravan heading to the Loud Rapids. This is how you ended up here.

You put up for the night in a tavern. In the middle of the night the town was woken up by the loud grumbling noise. As you ran outside to see what that was about, you saw a huge tower chaotically flying in the sky. Random excited screams and stealthy whispers started spreading across the town in no time: "... the wizard's tower from the days of yore!", "... great magical artifacts...", "...the art of which there's no rival...", "... books, books!", "... gold, who cares if it's 'just' gold?!" Most of the folk around plan to investigate the tower in the morning, when it finally falls somewhere, so hasty preparations are going everywhere.

The morning comes with general fuss and bustle.

Aaaand off you go!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gibson
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Cord was up early, not unusual for him. Far more unusual were the happenings during the night; He had stood at the edge of the crowd, watching an ancient tower levitate through the skies above him.
Even his sharp eyes could make out little in the darkness, but it had certainly piqued his curiosity.

Cord had no interest in treasures or glory, he had been hired for protection, a role he was particularly proficient in. Ironic since his only failure had led to the death of the one he cared for most in this world. Leaning back against the wall of the inn, he simply watched the townspeople and listened.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gythiel Alcarin
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the morning Davora left her room and went downstairs to have a nice proper breakfast. Yawning and trying to really wake up she saw Cord who seemed to be very interested in what was happening in the street.
"Mornin' to ya", said Davora and asked whether he had seen anyone else from the group. At the same time she was looking around to find a tavern owner or anyone else who could bring the breakfast, because good breakfast could be the only excuse for morning whatsoever.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forteza
Spain
ALCORCON
MADRID
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelhaida meditated for a while and caught some sleep, she was awaken by early dawn and decided to roam the town streets. Breakfast could wait and she sure could bring some useful intel to her companions by watching all the preparations and overhearing all the gossips.

Streetwise 7

1d20 = (20) = 20



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 513037. Enderus
  • 1d20 =
  • (20) =
  • 20
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 9:59 pm
Mark Gibson
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Cord couldn't help but smile to himself at the arrival of the good-natured dwarf, an expression lost in the depths of his shadowy hood. He offered her a gracious nod.
"Adelhaida is out there somewhere, mingling. I haven't seen anything of the cleric as yet.
Our 'clients' are likely sleeping in after having their beauty sleeps disturbed, although I see it hasn't had any adverse effect on you, milady."
Whilst usually an elf of few words, his noble heritage and racial grace still showed through on occasion; this small warrioress had been a perfect travelling companion - friendly and yet not too inclined to pry into the past.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
Valley of Dragons
flag msg tools
"Blut Aus Nord is an artistic concept. We don’t need to belong to a specific category of people to exist. If black metal is just this subversive feeling and not a basic musical style, then Blut Aus Nord is a black metal act. But...
badge
if we have to be compared to all these childish satanic clowns, please let us work outwards from this pathetic circus. This form of art deserves something else than these mediocre bands and their old music composed 10 years before by someone else."
Avatar
mbmbmb
Marcus rented a room a few days earlier, so he had time to get used to yet another new bed. However he felt disturbed last night and didn't sleep well. He was awoken by the fuss outside, but by the time he got out of the tavern most of the crowd members returned to their usual business. He felt that the structure's aura made him feel uneasy earlier and in effect oversleep. He took a few minutes to analyse the structure before joining his comrades.

Insight 1d20+9 = (10) + 9 = 19
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 513176. Ghargh
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (20) + 7 =
  • 27
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 11:30 pm
  • [+]
  • 513186. Ghargh
  • 1d20+9 =
  • (10) + 9 =
  • 19
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 11:34 pm
Gythiel Alcarin
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cord's last words also brought a smile to Davora's face and she couldn't help saying: "Ya look alright too" and went to the table." Thae humans ur always in a rush...and Ah still doan't see ma food. This is so not right" .
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
Valley of Dragons
flag msg tools
"Blut Aus Nord is an artistic concept. We don’t need to belong to a specific category of people to exist. If black metal is just this subversive feeling and not a basic musical style, then Blut Aus Nord is a black metal act. But...
badge
if we have to be compared to all these childish satanic clowns, please let us work outwards from this pathetic circus. This form of art deserves something else than these mediocre bands and their old music composed 10 years before by someone else."
Avatar
mbmbmb
"No worries, Davora. I took the liberty to take our breakfast from the kitchen." said Marcus placing a large plate of food in the middle of the table. "No spectacle should be more important than an empty stomach." He took a quick glance at the room before sitting next to Davora and Cord.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forteza
Spain
ALCORCON
MADRID
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The morning light entered the room flooding the dimly lit messhall. Adelhaida was standing at the edge of the door.

"Well, look what the new day brought, three early morning starving birds!"

The glimpse of a smile passed through her lips.
She nodded at Cord, saluted Davora and approached Marcus smiling:

"Is that a bottle of ale in the plate, Marcus, or are you just happy to see me?"

Grabbing the bottle and 3 apples she sat with her companions. Two of the apples quickly disappeared under her robes. While biting at the remaining one she mumbled

" I have learned something VERY interesting while you were all asleep..."
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gythiel Alcarin
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While drinking ale and keeping a mug in one hand, and a big slice of meat in the other, Davora got interested:
"Do I feel a possible challenge? Or what exactly do you mean by "interesting?".
She's really hoping for a positive answer, because there's nothing better than a chance to use your axe.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratibor
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Hey, wait for my response!

Ghargh wrote:
He felt that the structure's aura made him feel uneasy earlier and in effect oversleep. He took a few minutes to analyse the structure before joining his comrades.

Insight Ghargh previously rolled 1d20+9 = (10) + 9 = 19


Pawel, what exactly are you trying to do? Insight is the skill that lets you know people's true intentions, or, say, if they are honest. So I'm confused on your comment.

Since Adelhaida has the info only she knows, I'll GM David and he will decide what to share with you.

And guys, could you please highlight your direct speech with bold and colour (any colour), so that it is easier to track?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forteza
Spain
ALCORCON
MADRID
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Turning to Cord
"Cord, you have keen eyes. I'd bet you could hit half a silver coin at 200 feet."
Adelhaida smiled devilishly
"Prove me wrong but... What would be your best estimate of the whereabouts of the landing site? I saw you eyeing each and every erratic movement the tower made tonight"

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
Valley of Dragons
flag msg tools
"Blut Aus Nord is an artistic concept. We don’t need to belong to a specific category of people to exist. If black metal is just this subversive feeling and not a basic musical style, then Blut Aus Nord is a black metal act. But...
badge
if we have to be compared to all these childish satanic clowns, please let us work outwards from this pathetic circus. This form of art deserves something else than these mediocre bands and their old music composed 10 years before by someone else."
Avatar
mbmbmb
falconer wrote:
Hey, wait for my response!

Ghargh wrote:
He felt that the structure's aura made him feel uneasy earlier and in effect oversleep. He took a few minutes to analyse the structure before joining his comrades.

Insight Ghargh previously rolled 1d20+9 = (10) + 9 = 19


Pawel, what exactly are you trying to do? Insight is the skill that lets you know people's true intentions, or, say, if they are honest. So I'm confused on your comment.

Since Adelhaida has the info only she knows, I'll GM David and he will decide what to share with you.

And guys, could you please highlight your direct speech with bold and colour (any colour), so that it is easier to track?


Ignore me then...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gibson
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Cord returned the enthusiastic human's nod, raising an eyebrow beneath his hood. Odd that she should assume he was sleeping, it was one of the things that occupied his time only rarely.
He followed her across to the table from his leaning spot near the door, also reaching for an apple and pouring some water into a not-too-unclean mug.

"I've never tried shooting at coins, to be honest, but that would be quite a feat. As for the landing spot, I have considered that certainly. These villagers are likely to start out for their first and last adventure if they venture blindly in search of some vast wealth." This last was said with almost a sneer, Cord's disapproval of greed and foolishness quite evident in his tone.

Not sure what to do here, a perception roll? Perception test: 1d20+9 = (14) + 9 = 23
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 513713. Xxav1er
  • 1d20+9 =
  • (14) + 9 =
  • 23
  • Perception test:
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 6:35 pm
Ratibor
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Perception skill allows you to spot something, so:

Cord notices Adelhaida sneaked a couples of apples from the table right before he reached for them. He may also notice some villagers do come to the tavern to buy provision, they estimate their "adventure" may take longer than a day.

You definitely don't spot the tower itself, as you are inside and the tower fell somewhere outside

Generally, you roll skills if you attempt an action and want to know how much you succeed, e.g. "I'm trying to balance on a narrow cliff (roll Acrobatics)". So if you're just musing, no roll is needed. Anyway, if you're not sure, don't roll, if you need the roll but didn't include it, I'll tell you.

Meanwhile, you see your employer, Master Pashtai, the owner of the caravan, descend from upstairs. He looks well-slept and content, his eyes sparkling with new profit possibilities.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Master Pashtai approaches your table.

"My dear masters, I don't plan to move from here for the time being. This news of the night couldn't be more timely, even before that I hoped for a good trade, but now, now I want to see if I can get hold of what they bring from the tower. I'd gladly buy it for a very good price." Then he turns to Cord, who seems to be the most focused on "protection" part of the contract: "No worries about the goods, I sent them to Scrooge's warehouses, and we all know they are impenetrable. Old bugger is so good at guarding his stuff he's even cocky enough to organize thieving contests, and the only thief good enough won it six years ago and was not heard of since then. So, my good masters, I now release you from your duties, and will address you as we move further. Maybe in a week, maybe later."

With this he sits at another table, where he is joined by one of his fellow traders.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forteza
Spain
ALCORCON
MADRID
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whispering excitedly
"Well, we've got some time in our hands, an eager dwarf, a skilful ranger,
a protector of everything righteous, no evident competitors and the best
guess in town of the tower's landing site..."


She grinned

"...not counting the perils and challenges we may endure, m'lady Ginirra" turning to the dwarf.

"...plus we may save some lives while we are out." while pointing at some villagers and winking at both the ranger and the cleric

"I say let's go!"

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gythiel Alcarin
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sounds good enough for me", said Davora finishing the last piece of meat.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gibson
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I was rolling perception to see if I had any clue of the tower's location from what i observed in the night - didn't assume i could just make something up, so i was kinda stuck for what to say next!

"I have no objection to checking things out. We may learn something that could certainly save some lives. If these townsfolk get there before us who knows what trouble they'll find for themselves." The elf perched on the edge of the table, taking a swallow from his mug.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratibor
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Xxav1er wrote:
I was rolling perception to see if I had any clue of the tower's location from what i observed in the night - didn't assume i could just make something up.


Ah, okay.

Adelhaida heard that no one on the town walls could see the tower, but Cord remembers it was falling down in an almost straight line, so he assumes it must have fallen not so far, but still remotely enough to be hard to spot, it is "hiding" somewhere. So where can something as big as a tower "hide"?

Providing the map of the neighbourhood in a minute. Btw, in order to post OOC without the use of colour tag, use the [ ooc ] [ /ooc ] tag without the spaces.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gibson
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I guess that depends if it landed upright
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forteza
Spain
ALCORCON
MADRID
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"What those villagers find at the tower, if they find the tower first, does not worry me, for the moment.
I am more worried about the welcoming party once they are back..."


Perception check: 1d20+3 = (5) + 3 = 8

Whispering again

"We may not be alone in this journey"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 514103. Enderus
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (5) + 3 =
  • 8
  • Sat Mar 8, 2014 6:39 pm
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Map not to scale

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gibson
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Safe to assume it was flying in a northerly direction?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [25] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.