Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Emma Caldwell
Laura Allen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lana Orwell
Taylor G
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eli Menke
Adam Miller
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here are some general PBF guidelines:

We try to aim for a minimum of 1 post a day. If you will be absent for a while, that’s fine, just let us know.
Post what your character is saying in bold, or in another color.
Post what your character is thinking in italics.
Post any Out of character questions or comments directly relating to what is happening in OOC code: , this will make the text appear light grey. Otherwise use the OOC thread.
Have fun.

Mister Corbitt [OOC]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It is the spring of 1925 in Arkham. This week, famous New Orleans mystic Étienne-Laurent De Marigny was in town to deliver a series of conferences at the invitation of the Ancient Litterature department of Miskatonic University. You attended his saturday public lecture Lost in Translation: The Necronomicon through the ages.

The conference hall was packed, as De Marigny had become somewhat of a celebrity in the spiritist and occultist circles that seem to be flourishing at the moment. He has some rather unorthodox views on translating from Latin, which had piqued Emma Caldwell’s interest. Lana Orwell had been sent to cover the conference by her editor. She had been unhappy with the assignment, but had been pleasantly surprised by De Marigny’s eloquence and had found the conference much more entertaining than expected. This wouldn’t be front page news, but it hadn’t been a total waste of time either. A conference like this one was a great place to meet book collectors and purveyors of rare tomes and Eli Menke could not pass up such an opportunity. He had also managed to have a copy of one of De Marigny’s earlier works signed by the author.

During the conference, all three of you ran into a mutual acquaintance, professor Malcolm Lowry. Lowry was an english professor at Miskatonic University that each of you had met in various circumstances. He invited you to his house the following evening for supper.

Professor Lowry lives in a quiet, upscale neighbourhood in Arkham. As you arrive, he invites you in and introduces you to his other guests. He is a great host, and in no time the conversation is flowing: The Scopes trial, president Coolidge’s radio broadcast. The clam chowder and crab cakes are delicious.

After supper, Lowry invites you to retire to the living room and with a knowing smile, pulls out a bottle of single-malt Scotch.

Any of you fancy a drink? Lana, I trust that this little indiscretion will not make it into the gossip column tomorrow! HaHa

Taking out his pipe and beginning to stuff it, professor Lowry sits down with his glass.

So, What did you think of the conference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Miller
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eli grabs one of the glasses filled with Scotch that Professor Lowry poured a few seconds ago and sits down across from him.
He takes notice of the exquisitely upholstered chairs and the fine furnishings of the remainder of the room. Although he had been to professor Lowry's house on other occasions, the sight of aristocracy always made him a tad nostalgic to his past aspirations of becoming a banker.

The conference was quite fascinating if I do say so myself. The opportunity to trade with other book collectors and view rare texts is one that I could not pass up. Now if only Mr. Lowry was so forthcoming with his personal library.

Eli flashed a a sly smile at the professor and gave him a wink. He then gave a short laugh and resumed his musings on the conference.

Meeting an author such as De Marigny in person is such a rare opportunity. His views on Latin translations are quite enthralling. I took some Latin classes at the University of Virignia and was taught that many of the ancient texts were translated in the 12th century. and The translations on these texts have not been radically changed in 700 years.

A smile crossed his lips as Eli took pride in demonstrating his knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor G
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lana graciously accepts the drink with a chuckle.

No Dr. Lowery, I think I'll leave this out of my story Lana sipped her drink.

Too bad though, Lana was sure her evening would be more interesting than her story would be. When it came to spiritual and occult, readers wanted to hear sensational tales, not accounts of fairly dry lecture. Lana would have to focus in on a couple of Marigny's implications if she was going to compete with the tabloid on the subject of the occult. The company here seemed amiable and interesting though, and she have always enjoyed discussions with Dr. Lowery.

It is fascinating how people are drawn to the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Allen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emma is a bit overawed by the whole experience. She's been cordial enough to Professor Lowry in the two classes she's taken with him, but she's never been invited to a faculty member's home before. She was so nervous, she barely touched her crab cakes. She shakes her head at the proffered drink.

No thanks...I...I'm fine, thank you.

She twists her napkin in her hand for a moment before speaking.

I think that De Marigny had some interesting insights and his methods were certainly thought-provoking, but I believe I might take issue with some of his conclusions. Do you know, Dr. Lowry, where and how he might have developed his technique? It's certainly unusual, and I fear I do not exactly follow it. Does he ever mention collaborators, sources?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of De Marigny's sources are french. Alas, it is a language I do not have the privilege of knowing fluently, having spent too much time studying dead ones. It is a sad truth that I am more versed in Sumerian and Moabite than the language of Molière. Anyhow, De Marigny caused quite a stir when uncovering apocryphal texts attributed to Erasmus, texts which seemed hint at a...

I am sorry Emma, is the pipe smoke bothering you?

As you are talking, you notice a car pull up in the driveway across the street. A man steps out of the car. Walking over to the trunk, he pulls out two canvas-rapped bundles. One object is small and round and the other seems to be about the length and size of a small baseball bat. He carries both under his arm and walks towards the door of his house. He seems to be fumbling for his keys, looking left and right, as he approaches the door.

You hear a plop as the larger packet falls to the pavement. Something white and cylindrical can be seen in the gloom.

Lowry notices you looking out the window.

Ah, that is my neighbour, Mister Corbitt.

Please roll a D100 for a spot hidden check
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Miller
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon hearing the package hit the pavement, Eli looks out the window. The first noticeable detail about the neighbor is how edgy Mr. Corbitt looks. Eli squints slightly in an attempt to discern what exactly Mr. Corbitt is carrying.

Spot Hidden1d100 = (82) = 82

Eli's observation skills are not so great, hopefully another guest can spot better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 513357. Loric09
  • 1d100 =
  • (82) =
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 5:33 am
Taylor G
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lana follows the gaze of the group, and notices the unusual package.
1d100 = (60) = 60

Anyways Dr. Lowery, what were you saying the text hinted at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 513554. SkitSkatCat
  • 1d100 =
  • (60) =
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 2:44 pm
Laura Allen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emma peers out the window, curious, then turns back to her companions.

(Spot Hidden check) 1d100 = (100) = 100

Yes, Dr. Lowry...do continue. She coughs slightly, obviously trying to muffle it. All tobacco smoke tends to sting my eyes somewhat, but I wouldn't presume....

Her gaze returns to the window, where Dr. Lowry's neighbor is still struggling with his packages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 513705. lallen74
  • 1d100 =
  • (100) =
  • (Spot Hidden check)
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 6:14 pm
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As Emma watches Mr Corbitt, he turns around and seems to notice her observing him. He looks at her intently, frowning. He then, quickly turns around and enters the house.

A moment later, you notice lights turn on in the basement.

Oh, Erasmus... He was hinting at... I...

Was that an arm? No, it couldn't be... My eyes must be playing tricks on me.

Where were we?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor G
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What De Marigny was hinting at, answers Lana.
I'm sorry, did you say you saw an ARM?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever that was looked like it had small fingers at the end. That is impossible though. Corbitt might be a little excentric, but... No, it must have been a trick of the light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Allen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Emma frowns at Dr. Lowry, but says nothing. She thinks to herself, Arms? Fingers? What a strange evening this has been. And that man next door- what an odd look he gave me! She shudders involuntarily.

Yes, Erasmus and the translations...what was it he hinted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor G
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He did seem to be struggling with those packages, thought Lana, Perhaps someone lent him a hand.

So, uh, what does Mr. Corbitt do for a living? Lana was curious now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Miller
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the rest of the company continued conversing, Eli studied his three after dinner companions. He began to ponder I did not see much of Mr. Corbitt, so I don't know if there is any truth to the excitement over this "arm" buisness. Emma has been on edge all night and I hope this is not just Professor Lowry playing some cruel joke on her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor Lowry seems troubled as he continues:

Oh,Emma, yes, Erasmus, sorry... He had hinted at... lost Atlantean civilizations... Later copies of the texts had the offending passages removed of course...

Professor Lowry keeps looking out the window towards his neighbour's house. He seems pale as he turns to Lana to answer her question.

Bernard Corbitt is a well respected businessman. He inherited the business from his father, Theodore Corbitt, after his untimely death. The business is Corbitt Importers of America and seems to be doing well. That is why this whole arm foolishness is absurd. I am truly sorry I even mentioned it. I wouldn't want to be spreading rumors about such a quiet and kindly man. He has had enough tragedy already...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Miller
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eli almost wanted to chuckle when he heard "lost Atlantean civilizations", but he controlled himself. Erasmus, the great theologian, talking about Atlantis. That is the most absurd thing I have heard all day.

Eli turned to look at Professor Lowry and all notions of chuckling banished from his mind. Lowry looked like he was turning as pale as a ghost. Before speaking, Eli thought Maybe this Corbitt business is not a joke after all...

At the risk of nosing into a stranger's business, what sort of tragedy befell Mr. Corbitt? And what exactly was the cause of his fathers' untimely death? I think we all can agree that anything said will stay between us four, so don't worry about spreading rumors.

Persuade 1d100 = (4) = 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 514405. Loric09
  • 1d100 =
  • (4) =
  • Sun Mar 9, 2014 7:32 pm
Taylor G
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lana is surprised to see she's finished her whiskey. She leans forward in her chair to hear Lowery's answer. The situation was most curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Professor Lowry reaches over to pick up the bottle of scotch and fills up his glass. Looking around, he offers the bottle to Lana.

I guess you are right Eli. Most of this is public knowledge anyway... There were articles in the papers...

Lowry sits back in his chair, seeming to relax a little.

Bernard took over the business from his father about fourteen years ago. His father, Theodore, died in an accident while they were both hiking in India. Bernard was studying medicine at the time, but he quit to take over the family business.

As if that tragedy wasn't enough, Bernard's wife died a few years later. I believe she died during childbirth, but I am not sure. It has been a long time. Her name was... Lynn... Wait a minute... Oh Yes! Lynn Anne Meyers. A delightful young woman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Allen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emma nods at Eli, then Dr. Lowry. She's not usually as interested in people as she is in books or bugs, but her curiosity is piqued.

What an unfortunate man! And there was a child too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor G
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lana accepts the drink.
That's terrible! she intones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Miller
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To lose two loved ones, especially in those circumstances, can really beat a man down. Did you know Mr. Corbitt before these events in his life?

At the back of his mind Eli pondered So he studied medicine, I wonder what career he was aiming for in the medical field?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor G
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A man so influential suffering such tragedy...I wonder if I've read of him from my work at the newspaper.
Lana tries to remember Corbitt 1d100 = (75) = 75
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 515522. SkitSkatCat
  • 1d100 =
  • (75) =
  • Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:47 pm
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, I knew the Corbitt family... Well, know... We were not close, but we said hello when we met each other. They have always been quite pleasant, Bernard still brings me vegetables that he grows in his garden. He has quite the green thumb. That is why my thinking I saw him drop an arm is so preposterous!

I am afraid that is all I know. It has been quite some time.

You all sit there in silence for a few minutes. Across the street, you notice the light in the basement go out. A few moments later, a light appears in one of the upper windows.

Lana searches her memory for any information, but can't seem to remember any specific details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Miller
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eli stares for a minute at the last of his scotch before taking a final swig of it. He places the glass down and gets up from his chair.

If you will excuse me for a moment, I need to head to the lavatory.

On his way to the bathroom Eli mulls over the events of the night thus far. How did a friendly chat turn into such a uneasy situation? I feel like I could cut the tension with a knife in there. I am sure all this worrying is over nothing.

After leaving the lavatory, Eli works his way to the back of the house and out Mr. Lowry's back door for a quick smoke. Hopefully smoking can clear my mind up some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] |