Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
IC || OOC || wiki

This is the OOC-thread and character generation for my Mutant: Year Zero game.

Current players are:
Wolfgreen
msg tools
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Characters:
Lin the Slave
Otiak the Bruiser
Kirbel the Junk Head
Silas the Chronicler
Finna the Dog Handler

Rules
Basic rules
using the dice roller
Trauma and resources
Roleplaying
Experience
Stuff to buy
The Rot
Conflicts
Using mutations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Hi, and welcome everyone to this Mutant: Year Zero PbF. As you might know, this is a Swedish game, but I am going to do my best to translate the game terms into English. Note the first post above, it will contain links to everything you need, so it is a good thing to bookmark. I like to make wikis for all my game, and will do that for this one too.

Let’s go through a couple of basics, before we begin character creation.

The original Mutant game from the 80s was about a dawning civilization in the ruins of our post-apocalyptic world. The radiation zones have recessed and pockets of civilizations has grown into small cultures. In many ways it didn’t really know what it was doing, genres was mixed together, but the end result was a pretty cool world that was both about the end of the world, and the dawn of a new.

Mutant: Year Zero is in the same world, but several hundred years earlier. The fledgling pockets of survivors that will later grow into the new cultures are now desperately trying to survive.

Mutant: Year Zero share some similarities with Apocalypse World. You create your character, and part of the environment we play in. It is still very different, this is much more a GM driven game, and there is a set backstory and setting. Let’s look at that now.

You are all mutants, of course that means nothing to you, since there is little to compare to. You live in some kind of safe place called the Ark. The Ark has clean water and food. You call yourself The People, and you have lived here all your life, barely leaving the safety of the Ark. The others you live with, you are around 200, are those you grew up with. No new mutants have been born. The only person older than mid-twenties is the Old One. He is the one that has raised all of you, everyones’ father.

As you have all become young adults, things have changed. The Old One is now really old, too old to offer much guidance. There are factions amongst the people, and some are bosses, while others have become slaves. Even worse, the food supplies, at one point so much, is becoming smaller. To survive, the People must look outside the Ark.

Outside is the Zone. In our game that will be a ruined city (though there will be areas of vegitation as well). The zone is dangerous, it has the Rot that can make you ill, and many dangerous creatures. Most dangerous of all are the zoneshades, dangerous, evil and clever creatures that hunt mutants for food.

Next post, character creation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Character generation
Those of you that have made characters for Apocalypse World will see some similiarties. You will first pick your characters job, and that will offer several suggestions as to your characters appearance, personality and relationships.

But let’s begin at the beginning. Here are the basic elements of your character:

Job: What you do in the Ark
Abilities: There are four of these
Strength: Raw body strength
Calmness: How controlled you are
Smarts: Your intelligence
Sensitivity: Charisma and Empathy

Each job has one of these abilities they are generally best at.

Skills:
There are 12 basic Skill, three for each ability.
Strength
Endure
Feat of Strength
Fight
Calmness
Sneak
Flee
Shoot
Smarts
Scout
Figure out
Zone knowledge
Sensitivity
Expose intent
Manipulate
Heal

Each job has also a bonus skill, unique to that Job.

So. I want you to do the following:

1. Tell me a bit about yourself and your PbF and RPG experience, and what you hope to get out of this game (your expectations of me.)

2. Pick a job from the list below

3. Place 14 ability points between the 4 abilities. They must be between 1-4, but your jobs best ability may be 5.

4. Place 10 points amongst your skills. None can be higher than 3, and one must be in your jobs unique skill.

Here is the list of jobs, I would recommend that no one picks the same job. So first come first served:
Bruiser
Best ability: Strength
Unique Skill: Intimidate

Junk Head:
Best ability: Smarts
Unique Skill: Tinker

Zone Wanderer
Best ability: Calmness
Unique Skill: Guide

Fixer
Best ability: Sensitivity
Unique Skill: Barter

Dog Handler
Unique Skill: Pounce (dog attacks a target)

Chronicler
Unique Skill: Inspire

Boss
Unique Skill: Command

Slave
Unique Skill: Withstand

Feel free to ask questions if you have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Tell me a bit about yourself and your PbF and RPG experience, and what you hope to get out of this game (your expectations of me.)

Well I'm Barad. I didn't know there where a bunch of other rpg's except D&D when I first joined the site. Now I'm quit a profilic poster I'm told and just love to play games with Karl because he runs such awesome pbf games. He also learned me a lot about pbf games. So basicly when I see him posting a new game most of the time I'm in. What am I looking for, another fun time. Altough referencing to Apocalypse world doesn't help me a lot.

Dog Handler

3. Place ability points between the 4 abilities. They must be between 1-4, but your jobs best ability may be 5.

Strength: 3
Coolness: 5
Smarts: 4
Sensitivity: 2

4. Place 10 points amongst your skills. None can be higher than 3, and one must be in your jobs unique skill.

Endure
Feat of Strength
Fight
Sneak 2
Flee
Shoot
Scout 2
Figure out 1
Zone knowledge 1
Expose intent
Manipulate
Heal 2

Pounce 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sorry, 14 points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, adjusted it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I am going to change Coolness to Calmness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Jens, I played a lot of RPGs as a kid some 20-25 years ago (among them Mutant and Mutant 2). I then had a hiatus in gaming for 10 years when I went to university. I started up again some time ago and discovered all these new and shiny games that had come out while I was away. I like systems where the focus lies on storytelling and character development. That sais, I still enjoy D&D type games at times. I started playing PbFs about a year ago (in the 2013 PbF initiative), and have since then been a player in 6 different games (1 run to completion, 2 fizzled, 3 still running). The PbF format is really growing on me, I like it a lot.

I'm usually able to post 1-2 times per day, but sometimes less.

Chronicler

Strength: 2
Coolness: 3
Sensitivity: 5

Endure
Feat of Strength
Fight
Sneak 1
Flee
Shoot 1
Scout
Figure out
Zone knowledge 1
Expose intent 1
Manipulate 2
Heal 2

Inspire 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb

My name is Brent, which conveniently enough matches my user name, avoiding confusion over what to call me.

I discovered Dungeons & Dragons in the late 1970s and played it as GM in high school. I played D&D and Champions as a freshman in college (1982-83). I collected various RPGs over the years, but never played again until a couple of years ago, when I stumbled on PbF here on RPGG and joined a Pathfinder game. I’ve played a bunch of PbF games here since then, mostly Pathfinder but with occasional forays into other games that have struck my fancy - most notably a fun game of Faery’s Tale. (That one was a lot of fun and actually completed.) I’ve GM’ed a few Pathfinder games here too.

I typically check my PbF subscriptions several times a day, and can make quick responses throughout the day. However, if a longer or more thoughtful response is called for, I’m likely to have only one or two opportunities (or very occasionally zero).

For this game, I am mainly looking for an opportunity to have fun in a post-apocalyptic setting (which I’ve never played before), and to expand my RPG playing capabilities more into the narrative style (which I have thus far found intimidating, as it requires something of a paradigm shift). This game sounds like it could be an incremental step in that direction.

Junk Head

3. Place 14 ability points between the 4 abilities. They must be between 1-4, but your jobs best ability may be 5.

Strength 4
Calmness 4
Smarts 5
Sensitivity 1

Tinker 2

Endure 1
Feat of Strength
Fight 2
Sneak 1
Flee
Shoot
Scout
Figure out 3
Zone knowledge 1
Expose intent
Manipulate
Heal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Just to get the slang right. A junk head is not a heroin addict, but rather one that enjoys to repair and invent stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb

I'm schizoid. I have played in a dozen PbF games here on the 'Geek since 2012. I also often play on G+ Hangouts, but my face-to-face playing is very limited - it mostly consists of solo games and playing with my kids.
What I like most in a PbF game is those moments when you read somebody else's post, be it from GM or other players, and you think: "Wow, this guy is a genius, I'd never thought to do it like that."
Also, I hope that we will be able to keep a steady posting rhythm, because for most of the PbF games, sadly, it tends to slow down after the initial euphoria of a new game.

Slave

Strength: 4
Calmness: 5
Smarts: 1
Sensitivity: 4

Endure 3
Feat of Strength
Fight

Sneak 1
Flee 1
Shoot

Scout
Figure out 3
Zone knowledge

Expose intent
Manipulate
Heal

Withstand 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A questions: we all are mutants, right? What exactly is our mutation? Do we all have different ones? What does it give us - both in the story and in the game system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Mutations are drawn later in the chargen process. They are random. You can also acquire more during play.

The mutant genome is unstable, you will get mutations, but your bodies in general will become weaker. So when you push yourself (this is in the die mechanic) you might develop mutations, and that will lower your abilities.

The mechancis for mutations are very easy. You have a number of mutation points, and you can spend them for effects depending on the mutation. The use of mutations are always successful. So when you attack with a gun, you must roll, but if you have the mutation acid spit, you can spend a mutation point to cause a point of damage (amongst other things).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I will go into more detail about the rules later (but feel free to ask).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgreen
msg tools

Hello, I am Phil; I discovered role-playing just under two years ago when I started University and joined the RPG and LARP society! I am one of those who started with the 'mainstream' Pathfinder and D&D, and over the last year I have started to expanding out to play more and more systems, I like to experience as many systems and genre / game types as possible. Relatively new to PBF, I am currently in a Call of Cthulhu game on Tavern Keeper and certainly look forward to joining Mutant, as my second PBF campaign.

I will be checking the forum campaign several times each day and can make regular responses. If a longer response is needed; it will take a little more time, but I can see myself posting 3 - 5 posts each day.

I am looking for a post-apocalyptic game; whether the tone is dark and serious; or light hearted, a mixture between the two would be great!

Bruiser

Strength: 5
Coolness: 1
Sensitivity: 4

Str:
Intimiate 3
Endure 2
Feat of Strength 3
Fight 2

Calm:
Sneak
Flee
Shoot

Smarts:
Scout
Figure out
Zone knowledge

Sens:
Expose intent
Manipulate
Heal

"HULK, SMASH!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Great work so far. I am working on the wiki character sheets.

I am going to make several posts throughout the day. First to wrap up chargen, and then about roleplaying in the game and the basic rules. I will put links to the most important posts in the header, and put it in a game wiki.

So, on with chargen. Each job is also a template with suggestions on chioices you can make during character generation. Note that these are only suggestions, so you can pick something different if you like.

The group is currently
Bruiser
Junk Head
Dog Handler
Chronicler
Slave

I will post each template, and you can pick the choices you like, or make a new one.If soem choices are hard to make, like deciding on your relationship with other player characters, just leave it open, and we'll come back to it. Note that some of your choices will decide aspects of the game a head. When you decide on a relationship with an NPC you are also introducing that NPC to the game.

I hope that wasn't throughly confusing. Ask away if something was unclear.

Here is the basic outline of the template. The actual templates soon to follow.

Name

Appearance
Face
Body
Clothes

Talent

Mutation

Relationships with PC

I hate

I want to protect

My big dream

Gear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Bruiser
This is the bruiser template. If everyone could take a look at this template, to see if they understand what to do when I put up theirs.

In each (except talent), pick one or make one yourself.

Name: Male: Hugust, Lenny, Marl, Pontis, Otiak. Female: Ingrit, Mubba, Nelma, Nogga, Rebeth.

Face: Broken nose, dead eyes, scarred scalp, welding helmet, hockey mask, metal jaw
Body: Scarred, muscular, compact, wiry, abnormaly large, arm prosthesis of metal
Clothes: Worn leather jacket, dirty overall, too small t-shirt, tailored tier, hubcaps and corrugated iron.

Talents (here you have to pick one. You can not make one up)
Hard SOB: When your intidimation gives stress, cause an extra stress.
Kidney pounch: Your unarmed attacks cause 2 damage instead of one.
Assault: You may flee with strength instead of calmness

Relationships with other PCs (pick one per player character)
... got one on the mouth, but remained standing
... fought by my side
... left me to die
... is wonderful. One day s/he'll be mine

Note: Here it might be wise to make one or two of your own. Remember that the relationship you pick with someone elses character, also says something about their character.

Relatonships with other NPCs.
You hate:

The boss Johammed, he killed your former boss and tortured you
The Bruiser Elon, the only one to ever defeat you in an honest fight
The Fixer Milix, whom you think stole your secret stash of grubb

You want to protect:
The Boss Marlotte, who supplies you with grubb
The Chronicler Astrina, whom you secretly love
No one. Nobody in this rotten world deserves to live

Your big dream
To destroy everything that is beautiful in this world
That your love would love you back
That you one day may build something, rather than destroy.

Gear:
roll D6 for bullets, 2d6 for grubb and D6 for water.

Pick one weapon: Bat with a nail in it, brass knuckles, junk axe.

Roll for your mutation. That is a D66. That is two D6s, where the first roll is the tens, and the second roll is the ones. In the die roller it looks like this: D6&D6.

Re-roll any roll between 52 and 66.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Junk Head

Name: Male: Kvark, Oktan, Plonk, Zingo, Zippo. Female: Delta, Iridia, Loranga, Nafta, Zanova

Face: Goggles, constant grin, disheveled hair, bloodshot eyes, dirty face, always chewing on something
Body: skinny, wiry, spindly, very short, very fat
Clothes: dirty gold everywhere, bicycle chain over a shoulder, see-through plastic coat, T-shirt with heavy metal motif, wires and light bulbs.

Motorhead: +1 when driving or repairing a vehicle
Repair Man: +2 to repair
Inventor: +2 to invent or build new stuff

... is so cool. Keep close
... is slow. Better explain. Everything.
... makes you nervous. You don't like is look.
... is after your stuff. Keep it close.

Note: Here it might be wise to make one or two of your own. Remember that the relationship you pick with someone elses character, also says something about their character.

You hate:

The Junk Head Pontiak, he thinks he is so smart.
The Fixer Sixter, who hustled you for an artifact
The Zone Wanderer Kara, wwho left you in the Zone

You want to protect:
The boss Johammed, who pays well for the stuff you make
The Bruiser Elon, who stays close when things are hot
The Zone Wanderer Yassan, who has promised to take you deep into the zone

Your big dream
To build something that changes the life of the People in the Ark forever
To find the legendary Eden and explore the technology that must be there
To build a weapon that wrecks total destruction

Gear:
roll 2D6 for bullets, d6 for grubb and D6 for water.

Pick one weapon: Brass knuckles, bicycle chain, junk gun.

You may also draw an artifact: Roll a D666 (d6&d6&d6 in the die roller) Re-roll rolls between 643 and 666.

Roll for your mutation. That is a D66. That is two D6s, where the first roll is the tens, and the second roll is the ones. In the die roller it looks like this: D6&D6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Dog Handler
In the Swedish game, this job is simply called Mutant with Dog. It is not your job to take care of the dogs in the Ark, but rather, you have a close relationship with a dog, and that is helpful to you (and others perhaps).

Name: Male: Finn, Jony, Mohan, Montiak, Rasper. Female: Anny, Brie, Krinnel, Linna, Sofin

Dog's name: Grim, Grock, Fingo

Face: Hairless, scarred, pale, expressionless, deformed
Body: Wiry, gangly, short, slumped posture
Clothes: Work clothes, quilted jacket, leather jacket, hooded sweater, military boots.

Blood hound: +2 to finding tracks with your dog
Attack Dog: +2 when you attack with your dog
A mutants best friend: May use your dog to endure or flee

... is not liked by you dog. Therefore not by you.
... thinks he is something. Idiot.
... clearly doesn't like you, or your dog
... object of your secret desire.

You hate:

The Bruiser Jonats, who kicked your last dog to death
The Fixer Sixter, who has seen you cry, and therefore must die.
The Boss Marlotte, who tries to boss you around

You want to protect:
The boss Johammed, who gives grubb to you and your dog
The Chronicler Astrina, who loves you, but does not show it.
Your dog, who is worth the lives of then lousy mutants.

Your big dream
To kill the next mutant that looks at you funny.
That the one you love would feel the same way about you
To leave the Ark with your dog, and find a better life.

Gear:
roll D6 for bullets, d6 for grubb and D6 for water.

Pick one weapon: Bicycle chain, junk knife, sling, junk rifle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Swedish game, this job is simply called Mutant with Dog. It is not your job to take care of the dogs in the Ark, but rather, you have a close relationship with a dog, and that is helpful to you (and others perhaps).

Name: Female Finna

Dog's name: Fingo

Face: Hairless, pale
Body: Wiry, short
Clothes: Work clothes, leather jacket, military boots.

Blood hound: +2 to finding tracks with your dog

Bruiser is not liked by you dog. Therefore not by you.
Chronicler thinks he is something. Idiot.
Junk Head can be handy to get stuff fixed, worth having around.
Slave a decent chap, should have got a better life.

You hate:

The Boss Marlotte, who tries to boss you around

You want to protect:
The boss Johammed, who gives grubb to you and your dog

Your big dream
To leave the Ark with your dog, and find a better life.

Gear:
roll 1d6 = (5) = 5 for bullets, 1d6 = (5) = 5 for grubb and 1d6 = (4) = 4 for water.

Pick one weapon: junk knife

Roll for your mutation. [b]14 1d6 + 1d6 = (1) + (4) = 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 511835. Barad_the_dwarf
  • 1d6 + 1d6 =
  • (1) + (4) =
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 11:45 am
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Chronicler

Name: Male: Erister, Olias, Maxim, Silas, Vikton. Female: Amara, Danova, Johalin, Hanneth, Miri

Face: pale, hairless, friendly eyes, inquisitive eyes, somber eyes
Body: malnourished, , hunchback, abnormally small, bony
Clothes: Patched-up white overall with a number on it, worn suit, adorned with stuff from the old world

Artist: You may perform in the Ark. Gaining a D6 grubb or bullets
Healer: +2 to heal wounds
Agitator: +2 when you inspire someone shooting or fighting

... is the hero in your story, but doesn't know it
... doesn't know his own good, and needs to be saved
... is a threat to the entire People
... is destined for death. It is only a matter of time

You hate:

The Chronicler Davin, who's lies the People loves to listen to.
The Zone Wanderer Kara, who rejected being the hero in your story.
The Boss Marlotte, who is an uncultured barbarian.

You want to protect:
Your dog eared note book.
The Boss Johammed, who seems to want the People well
The Junk Head Pontiak, who's talents is needed in this dawn age.

Your big dream
For the Ark to become a place of education and knowledge
To write the great story of how the People finds Eden
To save the People from infertility, and teach a little son or daughter from infancy.

Gear:
roll D6 for bullets, d6 for grubb and D6 for water.

No weapons from start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Slave

Name: Male: Dink, Fils, Hent, Mart, Wilo. Female: Alia, Eria, Henny, Kim, Lin

Face: Expressionless, deformed, haggard, dead eyes, hairless
Body: Muscular, stout, hunchback, skinny, ape-like
Clothes: none, handcuffs, chains, torn t-shirt, dirty overalls.

Unfazed: +2 to withstand doubt
Robust: +2 to withstand wounds
Rebel: When you roll withstand, each success gives you +1 on your next roll

... is your owner. His will is your law. For now.
... wants to harm your owner. Watch him.
... treats you like dirt
... is your path to freedom. Keep close

You hate:

The Boss Johammed, your previous owner, who has always tormented you
The Bruiser Elon, who kicks you when he gets the chance
The fixer Milix, who promised you freedom, but betrayed you.

You want to protect:
The Fixer Sixter, to him you divulge secrets about your owner.
The Bruiser Jonats, who gets you grubb when he can
The Slave Eriel, you on the bottom need to stick together.

Your big dream
To revolt, kill all the bosses and make all the slaves free
Nothing more than to please your owner and make him proud
To flee the drudgery of the Ark, and find a better life.

Gear:
Roll d6 for grubb and D6 for water.

Pick one weapon: Bat, bicycle chain, sling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
There. All done. Pardon the English, but I was translating as I went.

Some of talents are hard to understand, since you don't know the rules. But I think you'll figure it out.

jan rolled Frog Legs for his mutant.

After you roll a mutation, you have the option of rolling for a second mutation straight away. The drawback is that you have to reduce one of your abilities by one. I'll let you make that choice after you get the result of your first roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frog legs sounds cool and I'm glad we don't have a chef in our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Jan, your dog may help you scout. That is, in most cases when your dog is with you, you can use pounce instead of scout. Perhaps you would like to move one or both of your points in scout?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |