Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
815 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [33] | 

Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Newbie PBF Initiative 2014 - The Mote in the Serpent's Eye: IC thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction:

You are one of the fortunate. In all of Gretlund, from the River Rhon to the south, to the impassible Titan's Spine Mountains in the east, to the trackless Great Forest of the north, to the goblin haunted lands of Vozmar to the west, few have the wealth or wherewithal to learn the arts of sword or spell.



Whether your are the youngest scion of a noble house, the heir of a wealthy merchant ambitious for more than trade, or perhaps a lucky scoundrel who managed the long dreamed of 'big score', you were not content with your life as it was. You longed for more than working the land, mastering a craft, or the glacial climb through the ranks of some lord's army or some order's initiates. You would have adventure, gold, and glory or death!

And why not? With the canonization of Saint Rel a three decades ago, "Adventurers" received the sanction of Church, Crown, and Guild. So it is that you have gathered, under the sign of the sword and wand crossed under the Arrow of the Way, fledgling members of a guild scarcely older (or perhaps much younger!) than yourselves.

"Go North, Young Ones!", what started with a whisper several years ago has now become a common saying, as the wild lands of the Great Forest are ripe for taming. The Halanni, the Wildmen of the Woods, are seen less and less often, and as often for trade as for raiding, these days. Of course, no one has yet forgotten the tragedy of the Warlord Hagan, who built his keep too far north, hoping to found his own kingdom, but there is a different between settlement and exploration! Who knows what treasures of the old Empire or more modern riches raided from the borderlands may await liberation in the depths of the Forest?



So it is that you have made your way to the village of Peevesmarsh, which sits along side the Serpent River, in the far northeast, where the forest meets the Titan's Spine, from which the river flows. It is just north of here that Hagan founded his failed kingdom. Perhaps some of his wealth still remains to be found in this area? You are determined to find out!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I just read the introduction to the scenario after setting up my character. My mule is going to die, isn't he?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be seven of you, so not necessarily. You may be able to convince everyone else to help you protect him. Also, when posting out of character comments please frame them with "ooc"(in brackets) and "/ooc" (also in brackets) so that we can all tell what is in and out of character.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tindomiel taps her foot impatiently, then stops.

She thinks: I should not tap my shoes... what if the leather wears out? I can't afford another pair. Not until I find some of Hagan's wealth.

After a second, she taps her fingers against her staff, her fingers tapping out a pattern that speaks more of impatience than of music.

She shivers as another breeze brings the faint words "Go North" to her delicate ears.

Waiting in Peevesmarsh she thinks: I cannot do this on my own. I've never been on my own. I can't imagine walking into the wilds without backup. But the lore! Think of the libraries of Hagan! Just waiting to be rediscovered! But no... I should wait. I do not have the skills to navigate such paths alone... Yes, I should wait.

Resignedly, she settles down to wait. She steps back to stand on the leeward side of a building, just out of the cruel nip of the wind.

And watches the road north.

(Tindomiel has also prepared the spell, Charm Person, for this day. - Just in case someone takes a look at her shabby robes and staff and tries to get her to move along for being a beggar...)
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first impression upon entering Peeve's Marsh is that the town certainly lives up to its name! The small settlement is the last in this part of Gretlund before entering the wilds of the north. Its proximity to the Serpent River gives most of the ground in this area a spongy, muddy consistancy, especially during this time of year, when late spring is already starting its transition into early summer. The air is little better, and while it does not yet have the oppressive humidity that will surely appear with the coming months, it is already hot and damp enough to be unpleasant.

The climate, combined with the danger, make this a place where few are willing to settle. The town's stockade is strong enough, and well built, but most of the town's buildings are nowhere near as well maintained, with a great deal of evidence of neglect and prolific use of jury-rigging.

The main street of the town runs straight from the southern gate, through which you have just entered, to the northern, which is well visible even from your current location. Immediately to your left, a door stands open to a building in an even worse state of repair than most of its neighbors. A sign above the door proclaims it to be The House of Luxurious Elegance. Judging by the noise emanating from within, it is obvious that the establishment is a tavern as well as an inn.

Suddenly, the chatter of patrons stops, and the sound of a lone voice drifts out into the street, "My Lords, and my Lady as well, be reasonable. Of course I grasp, understand, and comprehend that you wish to realize a profit, to gain a big score, and to be rolling in lucre, but is it so unreasonable, miserly, or parsimonious of me to ask to share in the proceeds, to have a piece of the action, or to have my cut, as it were? Of course I do not mean that last literally, so please desist with that bodkin, won't you?".
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tindomiel has prepared Charm Person as her spell for the day.

Oh dear. Tindomiel thinks. What is going on here? Another foolish brangle? Can we not just get on with our journey? Must yet another delay crop up! Those books are mouldering the longer we delay!

Tindomiel stands with her staff firmly planted in the mud, and watches what the others will do. She will certainly not be the first to step into this potential mess.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Todor walks towards the door to get a better look at what is going on in the tavern. He'll look in from the door, and if unable to see well enough will plan to slide just inside (and off the one side) of the door, assuming it appears safe enough to do so.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caysi
United States
Newport
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
"There is an infinite amount of stars in that beautiful mind of yours. Go Explore." -unknown
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aisling takes a peek inside because she is curious at the amount of people around. Once she gets a good look, she is not interested and waits for the others.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sena
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bronson sidles in toward the building trying to stay as unobtrusive as possible and tries to find any gaps between boards or chinks between the logs trying to look through and get a gander at what is going on and listen more closely.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lola, having spent far too much time in taverns and pubs as a competitive darts player, decides the temptation of a strong ale is too much to bear. He leaves Marty, his trusty mule, with Aisling and pushes open the door. "Come and get me if I'm not out in 15 minutes", he says to Aisling.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar


Fingerol follows Lola into the tavern and says to the others, "Come and get me if Lola gets thrown out the door in two minutes."
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lola and Fingerol stride into the bar as Todor sidles in more cautiously, ending with his back to the wall just to the right of the door. With their companions out of the way, Aisling and Bronson peer into the establishment from the street.

The first thing the newcomers notice is that no one seems to realize that they've entered. Every eye in the place is on the group at the bar. A slight, ill favored young woman in leather armor has grabbed the front of the Publican's shirt. The sight of so small a lady menacing such a big fellow would be amusing if she weren't holding a dagger with its point resting on one of the corpulent fellow's chins. His expression is one of open dismay, and sweat gleams on his bald head.

Standing immediately behind the fierce young lady are two big fellows, one in chain and the other in ringmail, who leans on his halberd while smirking at the host's discomfort. Slightly behind and to the left of them, a tall, older man in robes, with distinctive raven hair and a hooked nose seems to be making his way towards the bar's gate, evidently about to make his way behind it. The bald barkeep's eyes leave his assailant and follow the fellow, as he says, "A moment, my Lord! Please, reason, call upon your erudition, and think! Would I be so irresponsible, so guileless, and so foolish, as to keep it here? I speak only with a mind to your convenience. To save you effort, as it were.".

A younger fellow in leather stands with his back to his two larger and better armored companions, and seems to be the only one keeping an eye on the patrons, though he has not yet spotted any of the new arrivals.

The crowd its self seems to be a bit shocked, all of them transfixed by the scene before them.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tindomiel, not wanting to be alone or stand in the middle of the street so conspicuously, moves behind Aisling and Bronson.

She whispers, "Really, this is ridiculous! It's a tavern people, these things happen in taverns... or so I've read. Do we really need to be involved?" She says the last as a rhetorical question, knowing full well that any answer she gets, she's not going to like.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Todor holds his place against the wall, by the door. His attention is primarily focused on Lola and Fingerol, while noting the actions of the man in leather watching the crowd.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caysi
United States
Newport
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
"There is an infinite amount of stars in that beautiful mind of yours. Go Explore." -unknown
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aisling hears Tindomiel's rhetorical question and although she completely agrees curiosity still gets the best of her. She ties the mule given to her by Lola to a nearby tree. She cautiously steps inside near the back near Todor because she was so very curious as to what Lola and Fingerol were going to do.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sena
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
meanwhile, Bronson, while curious about the squabble, decides that a more surrepticious approach is more appropriate for the glass jawed Halfling, looks about for back door or window to find his way in.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Aequitas, you fool," Lola hisses, as he sits down at an empty seat, trying to blend in. "I was hoping we would, you know, maybe just blend in and see what was going on?" Secretly, though, Lola was happy that this adventure was getting off to a raucous start. He looked back at the door. Was it close enough to make a run for it if things got hairy? He carefully felt for his darts and dagger on his belt - just in case.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar


Fingerol slides into an empty chair at Lola's table.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lola risks a quick glance at Aisling and Todor, noting their positions in case something wild happens.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The young man in leather notes the party's entrance and Aqeuitas' soliloquy, as do his companions. His speech also draws the eyes of the patrons. At this point, the more observant among you notice several people sliding partially drawn knives back into sheathes and putting down heavy steins or bits of furniture that they may have been about to heft as weapons.

The older fellow in the robes stops in mid stride and, scowling, retorts, "A very generous offer, Sir, but my associates and I have business elsewhere. Emma, release that fool. This was only one avenue among many, after all.". The young lady appears reluctant to obey the command, and , indeed, starts to press her knife a bit harder, when one of the two men behind her grabs her by the shoulder, saying, "You heard him. It isn't worth the trouble, now. Have your fun later.".. With that, the whole group starts make for the front door, seemingly ready to depart.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bronson:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The alley is narrow, but that is hardly a concern to one of your size. You do find a back door, but it appears to be barred from the inside, since there is no visible lock. It doesn't take any particularly careful listening to hear what sounds like a kitchen busy with the sounds of a lunch rush. There are a few windows with their shutters propped open, and it would be a simple matter to climb in, but from what you can hear, it seems like you'd almost surely be spotted if you did.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lola is intrigued by the slight lady. Emma, while clearly ill-tempered and dangerous, has piqued his curiosity; perhaps it is because his only real conversations for the past few years have been with his mule. However, common sense prevails and Lola decides that perhaps just this once (and probably never again), he will take the cautious route and not say something brash and stupid.

He whispers to Fingerol and Aequitas, "Please do NOT do anything stupid. We just started our adventuring. I don't want to die just yet. And what the hell is Bronson doing peeking through the back window???"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tindomiel walks over near the tree the mule is tied to and waits. She doesn't stand to close to the mule in case it decides to kick her.

She is not going to bother hanging around the inn. Not if there could potentially be any sort of ruckus. But she is going to watch the inn door like a hawk for when the rest of the part come to their senses and decide to move on.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sena
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bronson moves back toward the front door but glances quickly around the alley for anything offering some cover. If there is cover he gets as close to the alley exit as he can while keeping hidden. If there is no cover, he tries to remain unobtrusive in any shadows offered at the edge of the alley.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Todor will continue to hold his post by the door until the party of adventuring thugs passes, making no move to block or interfere with their exit.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [33] |