The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
D&D Essentials Kit
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Game (revised)
Ironsworn
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Dinky Dungeons
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Pacific Rim Sourcebook
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Catapult Run
Avalon's Solo Adventure System
Mutant: Elysium
Dungeon Master's Screen: Of Ships and the Sea
Tatters of the King
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Double Adventure 7: A Plague of Perruques / Stranded on Arden
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Call of Cthulhu Roleplaying Game
Barony of the Damned
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
World of Bloodshadows Box Set
Chimaera Universe Core Rulebook
Microscope
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Eternal Lies
Keeper Rulebook
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Spellbook Cards: Ranger
Spellbook Cards: Bard
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
Barbarians of Lemuria: Mythic Edition
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Endless Vigil
Tomb of Annihilation
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
The Executioner's Daughter
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Thousand Year Old Vampire
Things from the Flood
ALIEN Cinematic Starter Kit
Imperious Rex! Realms of the Deep
Fiend Folio
Something Rotten in Kislev
Realms of Sorcery
Boot Hill (3rd Edition)
Greyhawk Adventures
Wretched Hives of Scum and Villainy
Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
745 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [30] | 

Dungeons & Dragons (4th Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Westmarch - IC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC is here

The prehistory of the party, as told by the witnesses

Gberdex wrote:

It starts with Artemis. Since he's cocky he got himself into a difficult situation. He tried to take on too many monsters at a time. Enter the Deacon, Cleric and follower of Kord, joined the battle and lent aid and healing to Artemis. After the fight Artemis stuck a pact/bargain with the Deacon that they would travel together temporally and share in the spoils. During this time a simple monk named Hiram watched from the sidelines and silently followed the pair, knowing the power and opportunity he could use. It wasn't long before Artemis' great perception noticed Hiram, and when confronted his strong presence and simple request to follow was met with apprehension but acceptance from the pair.

If was not long after this, that while on the road the trio witnessed two monsters come tumbling out of the trees fighting one another. A bullywug and some unholy/undead creature. Swuag struggled but killed the evil spawn and was about to return to the woods when he spotted the trio at the ready to strike. He threw down his weapons and bowed deeply at the elf and asked for his life, claiming that he wasn't bad, but served good and that we would like to travel with the trio, and help in whatever noble quest they must already be on. The Deacon, sensing his honesty agreed, but Artemis was uninterested. Swuag pleaded with Artemis, and offered to be his personal guard, citing his respect and loyalty towards the elves and nature and was willing to give him all the gold he had found as tribute.

At the flash of Swuag's coins, a silent thief Thom who was watching from the shadows darted his hand out and snatched the coin purse and was about to get away when Hiram leaped into the bushed and apprehended him. Returning the Gold, Thom fell to his knees and asked mercy as he knew he was in trouble. Artemis going weary of all these complications decided he'd had enough, and started to move on without anyone. Decan reminded him of their bargain and joined in the departure, with Hiram silently following. Swuag, gathered his things and cried out to the elf to wait for him, still trying to force the gold upon the elf, scrambling to tag along. Thom, confused by the series of events knew an opportunity for wealth and not wanting to be left out, trailed behind.

Since then they have had a skirmishes with monsters, and some very confusing situations...



6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Westmarch is the westernmost part of the great continent of Llilongwё, and probably, the oldest. It is the land full of legends and is said to have a song or a story for every stone, bush and water puddle around. There is no straight borderline between Westmarch and the rest of the continent, but you just know when you are there, there may be no mistake.

Please, don't laugh at the names, they were intentional tomfoolery.



---

During your last adventure together Artemis got a letter from (as he put it) "an old acquaintance of his" asking him to get to the town of Briit at the foot of the Lakey Hills. You were miles and miles away from the destination, but the last dude you helped owed you a favour, and offered to teleport you. However, he was quite a lousy wizard and so the closest place he got you to was the top of the mountain in the north of the ridge.

So, it is a bright sunny afternoon and you're standing on the flat top of a mountain. Swuag's eyes glitter as he looks to the west and sees the vast expanse of lakes - where there's a lake a swamp will follow sooner or later. To the the north you may vaguely discern the hazy silhouettes of other hills. There are no paths or man-made roads here, but down below you may notice the rapid stream.

Thom, you have an additional interest to follow Artemis to the town. You learn from him that Briit is basically a bazaar, and whatever could be sold is sold here. The never ceasing trade goes on all year round, it goes by the slogan "What is not found here, is not to be found anywhere at all", so no wonder folk all over the continent, and even beyond, come here, for business or just out of curiosity. With this variety of people the good thing about Briit is that no one really gives a damn who or what you are, so no race or job is ever frowned upon, unless you break the local law, and if you do, well, you'd better not. Artemis specifically told you all that the guardian of the town is not a man to piss off.

So, you're at the green spot and need to get to the blue spot. And off you go!

7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thom looks around smiling broadly. "Well, it could had been worse. At least the view up here is great and we didn't get our feet wet. Right Swuag?" Thom says and nudges him playfully in the ribs with his elbow.

"Nevertheless, I'd like to get to the town of Briit as quickly as possible." Thom continues as he glances over the map. "This thing makes my head hurt. I say we take the scenic route through these hills, unless someone actually knows a quicker way to the town."
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinclair
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
One Thread for All
badge
The name's Andrew -- pronounced 'Kah-thoo-loo'
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Deacon looks around with a scowl on his face and then growls, "That idiot Wizard should be boiled in oil. Well, Artemis... You're the ranger -- which way shall we go?"
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Swuag, you look around the scenery hoping for something that will persuade your companions to follow he river. The hills are grass covered, with occasional trees, and stretch as far as the eye can see, so you really don't fancy going up and down, and up and down, and up and... Then you turn your glance to the foot of the hill, and your keen eye can discern that the stream below rushes over a small waterfall and joins up with a bigger river that stretches far into the distance ahead. Near the stream is a rather big raft.

7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Artemis takes a look as far as he can down the river in case he sees anything…amiss: Perception 1d20+10 = (18) + 10 = 28

Assuming he sees nothing amiss…if he does, well, Artemis likes danger anyway!

"You know what I say, where there's a raft, there's likely a raftsman. Still, just looking at those hills makes me tired. Okay Froggy, let's check it out, but you can go first."
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 510940. rcmoore4
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (18) + 10 =
  • 28
  • Tue Mar 4, 2014 1:45 am
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Raft? Where? That sounds way quicker than strolling through the hills." When Thom hears the rest of the party has come to a conclusion about the direction, he dashes off down the hill.

"Catch me if you can, last one in the raft is going to pay our first night at Briit!"

Acrobatics Thom, Acrobatics 1d20+12 = (7) + 12 = 19
Perception Thom, Perception 1d20+9 = (16) + 9 = 25

Adding an rolls just in case the hill is very steep and/or there is something treacherous along the way. And to add some flavour opportunities to Nad and just because I like rolling.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 511077. Pawndawan
  • 1d20+12 =
  • (7) + 12 =
  • 19
  • Thom, Acrobatics
  • Tue Mar 4, 2014 6:23 am
  • [+]
  • 511078. Pawndawan
  • 1d20+9 =
  • (16) + 9 =
  • 25
  • Thom, Perception
  • Tue Mar 4, 2014 6:31 am
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You see Thom skip down happily like a wild goat, but the rest of you require a bit more caution, especially the heavily clad Deacon, and thus are slower. While Thom is waiting for you below, he may notice the raft is tied to a peg in the mud of the bank, and has a few sloppy axe cuts. No living soul is to be seen around.
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinclair
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
One Thread for All
badge
The name's Andrew -- pronounced 'Kah-thoo-loo'
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Deacon, finishing his slow climb down, approaches Thom and gives him a hard look.

"The Mighty Kord offers no healing for fools who break their necks showing off. Remember that."

The Deacon is kind of a tool.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Artemis smiles, "Well, it looks like Kord has been thinking of us after all, eh, Deacon? Let's check out the sturdiness of this raft…assuming it's river worthy, I think we should take it and head off down stream at least until we're out of the Hills. I can take the helm…I've some experience with boats. Then we can head east overland toward Britt."

Check for sturdiness (Nature? 1d20+10 = (8) + 10 = 18)
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 511614. rcmoore4
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (8) + 10 =
  • 18
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 2:12 am
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From what you know of rafting, this is a pretty decent raft, however, those sloppy axe cuts are what bothers you. This mishap may sure do with some repairing.

*Ahem* and for that you need someone with nimble hands *ahem* whistle
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thom screams with joy: "Wohoo! Did you see that Artemis? Hiram? That's how I roll! We should definitely race sometime to see which one of us can claim to be fastest of all."

He turns to the Deacon: "Maybe you should ask your mighty Kord to join us and buy him a drink too... and ask him to cheer up a little. Maybe all he needs is to get drunk and let off some steam, if you know what I mean."

Thom studies the raft. "Hmm, what little I know about staying afloat, this raft needs to be patched up. I can fix it in no time, if you guys find me some suitable material around here. See anything Swuag? Artemis?"

Dexteroty roll to fix the raft (ince we have something to fix it with) 1d20+7 = (15) + 7 = 22

Sorry for the geekroll typos: "Dexterity roll to fix the raft (once we have something to fix it with)"
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 512159. Pawndawan
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (15) + 7 =
  • 22
  • Dexteroty roll to fix the raft (ince we have something to fix it with)
  • Wed Mar 5, 2014 7:36 pm
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pawndawan wrote:
Sorry for the geekroll typos: "Dexterity roll to fix the raft (once we have something to fix it with)"


Actually, it should have been Thievery roll (yeah, I don't understand using that skills for repairs either), but it gives you even a better bonus, so yeah

With some material brought to him Thom fixes the damage in no time, and even makes a carved pole to steer the raft, getting carried away a bit in his skills. Now it is ready to use.

See the OOC thread.
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Artemis looks on as Thom repairs the raft. "Well Thom, you might be good for something after all other than frolicking that is." Artemis steps onto the raft…"It seems sturdy enough. I'm sure the owner won't mind if we borrow it for a short trip downstream."

"Who's ready to ride the waves? They don't call me Waverunner for nothing!" And with that, Artemis grabs the carved steering pole from Thom, waits for the others to board, and sets off down stream…"

[OOC: Artemis has both the highest Nature and perception of the group so he makes a good steersman!]

Artemis begins to guide the raft down the swift stream: Nature "Look out for rocks!" 1d20+10 = (7) + 10 = 17
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 512407. rcmoore4
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (7) + 10 =
  • 17
  • "Look out for rocks!"
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 3:42 am
Andrew Sinclair
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
One Thread for All
badge
The name's Andrew -- pronounced 'Kah-thoo-loo'
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Deacon grips the edge of the raft tightly and begins praying to Kord, vigorously.

I don't think The Deacon is very useful in this situation, but if anyone has any ideas he's all ears -- he'd prefer not to drown!
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiram takes his time getting down. The others seem very excited over the raft they found. The monk doesn't like this - he can't swim. Saying a few silent prayers he climbs onto the raft.

Hiram tries to remember if he knows anything about rafts and currents.
Hiram, Nature (d20+3) 1d20+3 = (13) + 3 = 16
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 512662. Mixula
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (13) + 3 =
  • 16
  • Hiram, Nature (d20+3)
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 1:58 pm
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I'll ask you for Perception rolls instead of passive perception, because well, you have lots of things to do beside just looking around: steering the raft, trying to maintain balance, overcome your fear of water etc etc.


It's easy to navigate here, where you can see the sky. Soon Hiram and the Deacon understand that there's nothing to fear really. The river becomes bigger and wider, but Artemis steers your raft smoothly enough. Thom and Swuag are frolicking behind him, from time to time giving him some useful (from their point of view) advice.


Someone, give me a Perception roll.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Whee! I'm glad we chose river-rafting over the stroll in the hills. Just be on the lookout for rocks and other treacherous things. And don't rock the raft too hard."

Thom, Perception 1d20+9 = (18) + 9 = 27
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 512741. Pawndawan
  • 1d20+9 =
  • (18) + 9 =
  • 27
  • Thom, Perception
  • Thu Mar 6, 2014 3:09 pm
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As the river turns, a big tree with branches hanging over the river suddenly meets your way, but just in time for Thom to jump in and hold the branch out of the way, inches from Artemis' face.

After the turn, the river flows among the imposing stone cliffs rising up on all sides, and then with a twist it descends underground, and you soon reach a lake that splits off into seven paths. Nothing you've heard so far indicates which path is the correct one.


You can't use Nature to navigate here.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Being more used to marshlands than underground passages, Swuag can't really tell anything about the lake and the way out of here apart from what he already told.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinclair
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
One Thread for All
badge
The name's Andrew -- pronounced 'Kah-thoo-loo'
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Deacon casts his mind back to stories of the land, to see if he can remember anything about an underground lake...

History check 1d20+8 = (8) + 8 = 16
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 513312. Cthulhu1
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (8) + 8 =
  • 16
  • History check
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 3:44 am
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiram shadows his eyes with his hand to see better. Seven paths. He tries not to observe. The Raven Queen will draw his eyes onto a sign. Hiram blinks.

Perception 1d20+8 = (10) + 8 = 18.
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 513508. Mixula
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (10) + 8 =
  • 18
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 11:49 am
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thom fells silent too. He utters a silent prayer to Sehanine.

Thom, Perception 1d20+9 = (12) + 9 = 21

Maybe a dungeoneering roll could help us while we're undeground?
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 513509. Pawndawan
  • 1d20+9 =
  • (12) + 9 =
  • 21
  • Thom, Perception
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 12:01 pm
Holidays!
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I respond, Hiram and Thom, give me a Religion check. And yes, Thom is right on Dungeoneering.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiram's religion roll:
1d20+2 = (12) + 2 = 14
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 513754. Mixula
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (12) + 2 =
  • 14
  • Fri Mar 7, 2014 8:16 pm
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [30] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.