Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
369 Posts
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [15] | 

Stunning Eldritch Tales» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: 2014 Newbie PbF Initiative - Devourers in the Mist IC Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
Thanks Erik for the help. I'm not going to use a point since failing would cost a point anyway. SilvaShado previously rolled 1d6 = (6) = 6 (Stability)

While the past haunts him for a few moments, Felix manages to shake the feelings off, but he remains aware that something is probably watching them. "Leory, I've got a feeling that something is watching us. Reminds me of how I spent many nights on the force. I did a lot of watching, tracking suspects, and this is what it feels like. This place ain't right."

As for the Athletics, I will use a point. SilvaShado previously rolled 1d6+1 = (4) + 1 = 5 (Athletics

Felix starts across the tree, focused on keeping his footing and balance. Now would not be the time for his knee to act up.

saffa wrote:
Peering over the ledge, Leory is struck by a dizzy spell. "Hmm... I'm really gonna need some water soon," he thinks to himself. Concerned that another dizzy spell could hit him while he's on the tree, he rummages in his backpack for the piece of rope he saw earlier.

I'll spend my last 2 Preparedness points to summon the rope into existence. I reckon it's about 5 meters (15 feet?) long. The idea is to tie it around something as an anchor, as well as around myself to make crossing the tree a bit safer. If this is a bit cheezy or gamey, I'll just do a straight roll and live with it. I'm happy to go with what you experienced folks feel is acceptable. Be that as it may, I'll continue with this plan for the time being in the interest of not holding up the story.

Spotting an outcropping of rock, Leory fastens the rope around it, tugging to make sure it holds fast. Tying the other end around his waist, he walks towards the tree and cautiously starts to cross it. "One step at a time, don't look down, one step at a time, don't look down" he repeats to himself as he concentrates hard on maintaining his balance.

Edit:

saffa previously rolled 1d6 +1 = (6) + 1 = 7 (Athletics check, spending a point for +1)

Also, apologies for the delayed posting. Have two sick babies who're struggling to sleep for the last couple of nights. Hopefully they'll be better by the weekend.

No Apologises needed, RL comes first and hope the babies are feeling better. I am a bit of delay in posting myself, as I was travelling on Friday.

As far s the rope goes, I am fine with that, not gamey in my opinion.


Both Leory and Felix begin to cross the fallen tree. Walking step by step taking special precautions to maintain their balance, become even more difficult as the moss becomes more dense and tightly packed on the fallen tree. The air itself also become noticeably thicker and the dank smell of moss and foliage permeate from the log. Just over halfway, as Felix takes his next step forward, a strong updraft comes from the canyon below and placing his foot down as he has done countless times before, but this time it is different. First, thinking it was knee acting up, but realising it is not his knee but rather almost as if the moss is coming out underneath his foot.

Immediatley loosing his balance, he begins flailing about to regain his footing and balance on the tree. This does not prevent him from watching the piece of moss that should have been under his foot, falling into the canyon below. The patch of moss, falls nearly 50 meters and disappear from site in the jungle. Leory, watching the cop begin to loose his balance, quickly grabs him by the shoulder and stabilises him on the log, it is a bit chaotic on the moss covered tree, having the rope tied around his waste acts to help stabilise both him and Felix. With balance regained by Felix, the two stand looking at the missing piece of moss...

It is perfectly square patch just slightly larger than Felix's shoe size. The moss all around this area is still attached, and Leory can see the moss has grown into the tree, adhering tightly to the trunk of the tree.

The two continue on the journey crossing the other half of the fallen tree and reach stable ground on the other side. Both relieved and perplexed by the situation that just transpired.



At the Plane

It is a short walk to the downed plane from the ¨bridge¨, and both Felix and Leory immediately recognises the plane as that of Ruth Copeland, the famed aviator that had mysterioulsy disappeared several months ago in an attempted worldwide flight.

All major news outlets covered the story of her departure, along with her navigator, Kenner Housman, from New Guinea. Shortly after departure, all communication was lost and the plane disappeared somewhere over the Pacific, the current theory on the disappearance is that the plane suffered an engine failure and plummeted to a water death deep in the Pacfic Ocean.

So Leory and Felix are at the downed planed, let me know what you want to do from here or have any questions.

Irina and Charlie on on the other side of the canyon with water. Or did you get the water to the others before they crossed? I was not sure, but fine either way. If you want to cross the tree, it will be an athletic test as well TN 3. There is a rope tied to an outcropping on this side that you could use for stability/confidence.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felix immediately sees the plane as a crime scene. "Leory, give me a minute to check things out. Gotta make sure the plane is stable before we go inside." He examines the damage to the plane, looking for clues on how the plane landed, what caused the crash and whether it is stable to go inside.

I'd like to use a combination of Evidence Gathering and Forensics investigative abilities to find clues on how the plane landed, see if there were any external issues that cause the plane to crash and also whether it is stable to go inside.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettienne Fourie
South Africa
Brackenfell
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Leory nods. "Ok. While you do that, I'm going to wait and see if the others come looking for us. Shout if you find anything."

With that Leory returns to the fallen tree and ties his end of the rope to a protruding branch. Now there's a guideline for people crossing the tree. Hopefully this prevents any unfortunate accidents. Happy that the knot won't slip, he looks around to find a spot of shade where he can keep an eye on both Felix and the path where the others should come from.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Lets get the water to the others." Irina suggests to Charlie.



4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"A pity they didn't wait, but I guess we should follow." Charlie answers and then starts climbing over the tree bridge. "Should I give you a hand?"

Athletics 1d6 = (4) = 4

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 7, Outdoorsman 3
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 550555. fastfox
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Athletics
  • Mon May 26, 2014 7:10 pm
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"That'd be lovely darling.", Irina follows Charlie over the bridge.

athletics 1d6 = (3) = 3
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 550568. Polgara
  • 1d6 =
  • (3) =
  • 3
  • athletics
  • Mon May 26, 2014 7:34 pm
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
Felix immediately sees the plane as a crime scene. "Leory, give me a minute to check things out. Gotta make sure the plane is stable before we go inside." He examines the damage to the plane, looking for clues on how the plane landed, what caused the crash and whether it is stable to go inside.

I'd like to use a combination of Evidence Gathering and Forensics investigative abilities to find clues on how the plane landed, see if there were any external issues that cause the plane to crash and also whether it is stable to go inside.

Felix looks over the crashed plane, it is quite clear that it is damaged beyond repair and would take months to render airworthy again—with proper parts and tools, which the island obviously lacks. The plane it self appears to have crashed in nose first to the ground, with debris scattered about the area. The plane and parts are firmly planted into the ground and surround foliage is overgrown indicating that the plane is at it final stable resting place.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
saffa wrote:
Leory nods. "Ok. While you do that, I'm going to wait and see if the others come looking for us. Shout if you find anything."

With that Leory returns to the fallen tree and ties his end of the rope to a protruding branch. Now there's a guideline for people crossing the tree. Hopefully this prevents any unfortunate accidents. Happy that the knot won't slip, he looks around to find a spot of shade where he can keep an eye on both Felix and the path where the others should come from.

fastfox wrote:
"A pity they didn't wait, but I guess we should follow." Charlie answers and then starts climbing over the tree bridge. "Should I give you a hand?"

fastfox previously rolled 1d6 = (4) = 4 (Athletics)

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 7, Outdoorsman 3

Polgara wrote:
"I think you're right, Charlie, and I don't see any survivors around here either." Irina says, "We could go up closer to those plants, maybe there's something useful in there."

Irina takes a few steps towards the vegetation, stops and looks back at Charlie, "Coming?"

Working together with Leory and the rope, both Charlie and Irina slowly cross the fallen tree, paying special attention to the log and the area in which Felix almost plummeted to his death. Slowly and with persistence they cross the log to solid ground on the other side.

They approach the fallen plane seeing Felix looking over the exterior of the plane closely. With the focus on the plane itself, Irina suddenly notices a small piece of tattered clothing hanging on a branch about 15 meters ahead of the plane. It is dark in nature, and difficult to see but it is most certainly a piece of cloth.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Piece of tattered clothing and a downed plane, at this point neither has been investigated. I am under the assumption that the goal was to check the integrity of the plane before going inside.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Do you see that? Irina points at the piece of cloth, "It looks like someone lost a piece of clothing. Maybe I can reach it and take a closer look." She moves closer and looks for a safe way to reach the piece of cloth.

Another athletics check needed?

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Feeling confident that the plane is stable, Felix stands up to see the others join. "The plane is stable, but if you all don't mind, I'd like to go in first so I can examine what's inside without it being disturbed. Being a cop for 15 years, I've seen a lot of crime scenes and know what to look for. But before that, I'd love some water if you got any." He walks to Irina and Charlie.

He looks over at the clothing when Irina points to it. "Yeah, take a look at that while I go inside."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettienne Fourie
South Africa
Brackenfell
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
"Just remember to leave some water for me as well," Leory reminds Felix. Turning to the newcomers, Leory asks"Did you find anything other than water that could be of use to us?"

"Oh and Felix? Let me know when you've had a look in the back of the plane. While you're looking for clues, I'd like to see if there's any supplies or equipment we can salvage. Hopefully we can find another container of some sort to carry more water."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Polgara wrote:
"Do you see that? Irina points at the piece of cloth, "It looks like someone lost a piece of clothing. Maybe I can reach it and take a closer look. She moves closer and looks for a safe way to reach the piece of cloth.

Another athletics check needed?

No athletic check required.

Irina walks toward the scrap of clothing hanging on the tree. In getting closer, she notices several pieces of torn and bloodied clothing scattered about the area. Looking even closer, small pieces of decaying and shattered flesh can be seen attached to clothes. There are no signs of any bones or body parts despite the strong stench coming from this particular area. Looking closer at one piece, clearly it was part of a shirt with a name patch still attached that says Housmann

Please roll a stability check for Irina - TN 3
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
Feeling confident that the plane is stable, Felix stands up to see the others join. "The plane is stable, but if you all don't mind, I'd like to go in first so I can examine what's inside without it being disturbed. Being a cop for 15 years, I've seen a lot of crime scenes and know what to look for. But before that, I'd love some water if you got any." He walks to Irina and Charlie.

He looks over at the clothing when Irina points to it. "Yeah, take a look at that while I go inside."

Felix enters the plane, it is clearly stable in its final resting position on the island. There are no signs of any life or bodies that can be seen in the plane, broken windows, glass and damaged seats dominate the area. Most of the planes instruments and items are damaged beyond repair, but a few ties survived the crash to include - 4 Unused Parachutes, a empty bucket, a Canteen, a Machette, World Map and a .32 Revolver with 6 shots remaining. Finally, under the pilots seat Felix finds aa small black book half filled with pages of entires, most of which appear to be aeronautical in nature.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yeah, we got some water for ya." Charlie replies and hands the bottle over. "Nothin' interestin' beside the waterfall though."

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 7, Outdoorsman 3
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"You may want to stay away from this." Irina shouts over to the others, suddenly glad she didn't have anything to eat for a while.

stability 1d6 = (6) = 6
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 551415. Polgara
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • stability
  • Thu May 29, 2014 9:04 am
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Before going into the plane, he takes a good chug from the bottle and then hands it to Leory.

After looking through the inside of the plane, Felix gathers the usable items into the center of the plane. He grabs the gun, tucking it into the back of his pants at the small of his back, as he calls out. "Safe to come in. I found some useful items. We should discuss how best to use them." He feels a bit more confident with the reassurance of a gun at his side again.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After entering the plane, Charlie asks "So what've you found? Ah, I see..."

After assessing the goods quickly, he takes the machete. "T'is will be helpful! Did you already take a look at this?" Charlie asks while picking up the book and skimming through it.

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 7, Outdoorsman 3
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irina returns to the others, entering the plane as well. "Looks like the clothing belonged to someone called Housmann. I don't think he's still alive though, it was quite the carnage." She moves over to Charlie, "See anything interesting in there, love?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Polgara wrote:
Irina returns to the others, entering the plane as well. "Looks like the clothing belonged to someone called Housmann. I don't think he's still alive though, it was quite the carnage." She moves over to Charlie, "See anything interesting in there, love?"

Just to help tie it together from above -

All major news outlets covered the story of her departure, along with her navigator, Kenner Housman, from New Guinea. Shortly after departure, all communication was lost and the plane disappeared somewhere over the Pacific, the current theory on the disappearance is that the plane suffered an engine failure and plummeted to a water death deep in the Pacific Ocean.

fastfox wrote:
After entering the plane, Charlie asks "So what've you found? Ah, I see..."

After assessing the goods quickly, he takes the machete. "T'is will be helpful! Did you already take a look at this?" Charlie asks while picking up the book and skimming through it.

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 7, Outdoorsman 3

The group gathers around what Felix has found, Charlie begins flipping through the black book with everyone looking over his shoulder. Most of the entries are nautical in nature, and start with the preparatory phase of the journey, in early 1937. Irina and Felix both have Charlie stop at a few passage that do not seem to fit into the Aeronautical Theme of the book. Evidence Collection and Library Use Investigative Abilities in use here, no point spend required.


In case it is hard to read here it is..

March 12 Approached with curious request from Clive Lewiston. Wishes me to drop a package into uncharted ocean. Says very urgent, that I’d not believe him if he explained, but begs my indulgence.

March 14. Lewiston swings by with package; forgotten about his request in all the bustle of preparation. It is a leather case containing an ancient book, bound in some weird metal. Am curious about alloy; he warns me not to touch. I laugh this off but the old boy is serious. Wild look in his eye. Calls the thing The Firenze Tome. Says it is unwholesome and that mankind must be protected from it. Unusual for you to be destroying an antiquarian object, I say. It must be buried in the sea, he demands. Very queer, but he is so insistent, so wild-eyed that I shrug and agree, and accept the package.

March 15 Bad dreams. Must be pre- flight butterflies, tho I’ve never been rattled like this before.

March 16 Another call from Lewiston. Reminds me to take book, says make sure to drop it far from any landfall. I ask him why he can’t just tear up pages or burn it. Question seems to throw him. He says he knows too much about something called the Cthulhu cult; if he touched the book again, he would be tempted to use it. Repeats that I mustn’t let it take hold of me, and should leave it in its case. Then Ken calls me away, so rest of conversation unresolved.

July 1 Dreams ever stranger. Feature that fool book of Lewiston’s, which I had nearly forgotten about. Resolve to throw it overboard on next leg. Taking off tomorrow.

The final entries int the book are mundane and do not mention anything of a crash. The last entry is dated July 3rd.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettienne Fourie
South Africa
Brackenfell
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Leory chugs down the last of the water and puts the bottle back in his pack. Seeing the others crowding around Felix, he heads over to see what's going on. Spying the entry about the mysterious package, his professional curiosity kicks into overdrive.

"Hmm... Felix, you're sure you haven't seen anything that could be the box that those notes are referring to? That could be a find that makes us all famous! Well, make you famous and me more famous."

With a smirk he looks around the wreckage, more out of hope than any real expectation of seeing the metal container. "Oh, that might be useful..." he mumbles as he picks up the canteen and map and puts them in his pack.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felix shakes his head at the entries as a chill goes up his back. He wants to to disbelieve, but this place is not right.

"We should probably also take the parachutes and bucket. We might be able to use the parachutes to create a shelter, and a bucket will be useful in getting water."

After hearing Leory's question, Felix shakes his head, "I didn't see any box. But we can look again." Felix looks more carefully through the interior of the plane, now that he has an idea of what he's looking for.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Charlie looks around in the plane. "But a book couldn't take the plane down, right? The question then may be why they crashed here."

I'm looking for any evidence what made the plane crash.

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 7, Outdoorsman 3
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For Irina

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Hearing the name Lewiston, this rings a bell. Taking another drink of water to help clear the mind, Lewiston...Lewiston. Got it - Professor Clive Lewiston, a researcher of classical and medieval texts on ritual magic on sabbatical from Miskatonic University, and the Firenze Tome is a famous
lost book, referred to in many medieval works but not seen since the Hundred Years War. It reputedly had a metal cover and was said to be cursed.

Occult Investigative Ability.

Maybe another sip of water, you can remember more? Any interest in 1 Point Occult Investigative Ability Spend?


SilvaShado wrote:
Felix shakes his head at the entries as a chill goes up his back. He wants to to disbelieve, but this place is not right.

"We should probably also take the parachutes and bucket. We might be able to use the parachutes to create a shelter, and a bucket will be useful in getting water."

After hearing Leory's question, Felix shakes his head, "I didn't see any box. But we can look again." Felix looks more carefully through the interior of the plane, now that he has an idea of what he's looking for.

Felix goes back into the plane, throwing around debris, looking under every item, he figuratively turns the wreckage up side down looking for the box. His efforts turn up nothing, still determined to find the box he takes one last look in the cockpit. Nothing. Dejected he begins to leave the cockpit, at that moment he hears the distinct sound of electric noise or static. Turning his head quickly, he finds the source of the noise on the instrument panel - it is one of those new fangled Radio Devices. Felix has heard that some of the major police forces in large cities had these devices, it was ¨portable¨ and could talk other who had the same device.

There is a small amber light on the Radio that is illuminated when suddenly the static goes away, and is replaced by the sounds of people talking, in a very fast, hectic and scared tone. The language is unrecognisable to Felix, but the sound of people in distress is the same regardless of the language. The voices turns to screams, and then the eerie sound of sharp objects passing through...no...it can't be...passing through flesh and bone. The screams get louder and the noises become more violent. The amber light goes off on the Radio, and their is silence in the cockpit.

Felix roll a Stability Test - TN3. Failure results in loss of 1 stability point.

fastfox wrote:
Charlie looks around in the plane. "But a book couldn't take the plane down, right? The question then may be why they crashed here."

I'm looking for any evidence what made the plane crash.

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 7, Outdoorsman 3

Walking around the plane, Charlie looks closely at the plane and surroundings. Most of the damage from the plane appears to have occurred as a result of the crash, no signs of any engine failure as puddles of oil lie below each of the engine soaked into the ground, clearly the engines were running at the time of the crash. The only thing out of place was seen by Irina - the torn cloths and bits of flesh from Housmann.



4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unnerved by what he heard, Felix tries to breathe slowly to calm down.

Stability: 1d6 = (5) = 5

Thankfully, he succeeds in slowing his breath. He's not sure what to make of what he heard, but decides not to tell the others so as not to disturb them any more than what's already going on.

Needing some fresh air, he leaves the plane with the bucket and 4 parachutes, which he dumps on the ground outside. He gazes up at the sky, wishing he had just stayed at home.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 552322. SilvaShado
  • 1d6 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Stability:
  • Sun Jun 1, 2014 4:43 pm
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [15] |