Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
369 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [15] | 

Stunning Eldritch Tales» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: 2014 Newbie PbF Initiative - Devourers in the Mist IC Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like consensus is to go together with Felix keeping a lookout.

Moving deeper into the jungle in search of water, the group climbs over through and around much of the foliage to find a water supply. Pressing forward, they come to a clearing with a large deep chasm in front extending as far as the eyes can see, at nearly 20 meters across and 50 meters deep it is quite unexpected to see in this area of the jungle. About 20 meters up from where you are standing is a large down tree that has created a bit of a bridge over the canyon.

Looking closer as the cliff edge, the wet moss falls immediately over the cliff edge, grabbing onto the rocks is the only thing that prevents it from plummeting the 50 meters to the base of the canyon. A small flow of water coming is seen coming of the rock face below, probably close to 5 meters below the edge of the cliff. It appears to be a underground stream of some sort.

Felix Roll a Sense Trouble - TN 2

Looking across the canyon, a surprise site is scene. It appears to be the tail section of a plane, with the nose buried into the ground. It was hard to see at first with all the overgrown moss. With more focus, wings can be seen along with several windows. It has to be a plane...

Water stream and a downed plane....now what?

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettienne Fourie
South Africa
Brackenfell
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
"Finally, something other than damned jungle," Leory mutters as he stops to catch his breath. "I sure wouldn't mind a nice glass of quality bour..." he trails off. Pulling his backpack off his back, he frantically claws through it, mumbling "... it has to be here, it has to be here..." the whole time.

"Yes!" he crows as he removes a brandy flask from the backpack. Gleefully he unscrews the cap and takes a swig from the flask. "Gah!" he exclaims as he sinks into a heap on the ground. "It's empty."

I'll spend 1 Preparedness point to find the flask, empty as it may be. As to our plan of action, I propose we check out the plane to see if there's any supplies or equipment we could use to maybe get to the water. Provided nothing jumps out and kills us first, of course. Unless that's going to be too much of a slog given our mostly weakened and dehydrated state?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Now that would've been too great to be real wouldn't it?" Charlie says to Leory with dark sarcasm in his voice.

Then he walks towards the cliff and takes some time to check for the best route to the water stream over the rocks.

Charlie Allred Athletics 6, Health 7
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felix grunts as he kneels near the cliff edge, being careful to keep his weight as back as possible. "We need to find a way down. Hopefully the plane has some supplies, like more containers so we can fill up on the water down there."

Is this where I use a skill to find the safest route down? I'm still a little confused on how to use my skills, especially on which skill would apply.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
saffa wrote:
"Finally, something other than damned jungle," Leory mutters as he stops to catch his breath. "I sure wouldn't mind a nice glass of quality bour..." he trails off. Pulling his backpack off his back, he frantically claws through it, mumbling "... it has to be here, it has to be here..." the whole time.

"Yes!" he crows as he removes a brandy flask from the backpack. Gleefully he unscrews the cap and takes a swig from the flask. "Gah!" he exclaims as he sinks into a heap on the ground. "It's empty."

I'll spend 1 Preparedness point to find the flask, empty as it may be. As to our plan of action, I propose we check out the plane to see if there's any supplies or equipment we could use to maybe get to the water. Provided nothing jumps out and kills us first, of course. Unless that's going to be too much of a slog given our mostly weakened and dehydrated state?


At this point you are not too dehydrated to make it over to the plane, by my judgement is about Mid Day, much longer without water and it will be an impairment.

To get to the plane, it would require crossing the fallen moss covered tree. Which would be an Atheltic Test - TN 3.

Perhaps the group split up? Half to the tree and half to get the water? You can remain in sighte of each other.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fastfox wrote:
"Now that would've been too great to be real wouldn't it?" Charlie says to Leory with dark sarcasm in his voice.

Then he walks towards the cliff and takes some time to check for the best route to the water stream over the rocks.

Charlie Allred Athletics 6, Health 7

Climbing over the edge to get the water is possible, dangerous, but possible. The slick moss makes it challenging for just a single person, and would require two people more than likely.

An athletic test would be required - TN 3 along with a 1 Point Outdoorsmen Spend to determine the best route down to the spring.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
Felix grunts as he kneels near the cliff edge, being careful to keep his weight as back as possible. "We need to find a way down. Hopefully the plane has some supplies, like more containers so we can fill up on the water down there."

Is this where I use a skill to find the safest route down? I'm still a little confused on how to use my skills, especially on which skill would apply.

Yes, you would use a skill to find the safest way down. The skill to choose? Well that depends on how creative you narrate, I am open to many options. Outdoorsmen is the most obvious skill that lines up with the situation. But again, with creatively and narration others could work as well.

Also Felix needs to roll a Sense Trouble - TN 2. This is a simple 1d6 dice roll, and the goal is to get greater than 2 on the dice. Typically Target numbers are 3, 2 for easier situations. You can choose to ¨spend¨ points from the given ability (in this case Sense Trouble) to add to the dice roll, if you choose this route, you need to specify it before you roll.

Here is a link in the OOC thread that talks a bit more about Point Spends with General and Investigative Abilities.

The points you spend are subtracted from you Ability Pool, and typically do not replenish during the adventure.

Is the group splitting up? Who is working for water and who is heading to plane?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After a quick overall look, Charlie turns to the others. "Could someon' please help me securin' my way down to the stream?"

Charlie Allred Athletics 6, Health 7
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I can help you." Irina moves over to Charlie, and looks down. "That's quite a way down, we'd better take care."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettienne Fourie
South Africa
Brackenfell
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
"Well, Felix. It seems we're gonna go treasure hunting." Leory offers the empty flask to Irina. "Here you go, missy. Be a dear and fill that up for me?" he asks her with a wink.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yep, let's get going." Felix hopes splitting up will turn out all right, but he has a bad feeling.

I'll use 1 point for Sense Trouble. Sense Trouble: 1d6+1 = (3) + 1 = 4
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 548208. SilvaShado
  • 1d6+1 =
  • (3) + 1 =
  • 4
  • Sense Trouble:
  • Mon May 19, 2014 8:20 pm
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sure thing darling." Irina winks back at Leory, then turns back to Charlie, "You see a good route to that stream? Or something we could use as a rope?"

edited to have consistent colors... and quote thingies.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Charlie scrapes his unshaved chin. "Hm, let's see ... if we go this way ..."

Spending one point of Outdoorsman and rolling Athletics +1 1d6 = (2) = 2 (That was close ...)

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 7, Outdoorsman 3
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 548341. fastfox
  • 1d6 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • Athletics +1
  • Tue May 20, 2014 7:55 am
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irina follows in Charlies path.

athletics 1d6 = (6) = 6
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 548342. Polgara
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • athletics
  • Tue May 20, 2014 8:17 am
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
"Yep, let's get going." Felix hopes splitting up will turn out all right, but he has a bad feeling.

I'll use 1 point for Sense Trouble. SilvaShado previously rolled 1d6+1 = (3) + 1 = 4 (Sense Trouble

As Felix stars across the valley trying to get a better look at the downed airplane, he cannot escape that unnerving feeling of being watched or even hunted. Quickly spinning around to look at the jungle behind and ahead, nothing is seen other than the dense foliage. Yet, the persistent feeling of being watched continues as something or someone is watching. His mind ageing drifts off to the many nights on the force where he spent watching others, and wonders if this same unnerving feeling is similar to those he has tracked as a police officer.

While the feelings seems to last an eternity to the him, it is only a few seconds in reality and just as quick as the feeling came, it leaves.

Felix needs to roll a Stability Check - TN 4. A failure means the loss of 1 Stability to Felix. Stability, just like anything else can be spent from your pool. This post here talks a bit more about Stability and it game impact.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fastfox wrote:
Charlie scrapes his unshaved chin. "Hm, let's see ... if we go this way ..."

Spending one point of Outdoorsman and rolling fastfox previously rolled 1d6 = (2) = 2 (Athletics +1) (That was close ...)

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 7, Outdoorsman 3

Polgara wrote:
Irina follows in Charlies path.

Polgara previously rolled 1d6 = (6) = 6 (athletics)

The unlikely combination of the hobo and charlatan seem to make a good pair as they climb down the rock effortless and with purpose. Reaching the stream, they fill up the bottle and immediately each drinks a full bottle of water. The taste of sour and old bourbon still lingers on the bottle, but that does not matter to either of them as they begin to feel alive and hydrated.

I made a bit of leap that both would drink a full bottle at the stream, what is the plan afterwards? Go down again, bring the bottle up full? At the moment I see that both of you are perched on a ledge drinking the stream water.



5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
saffa wrote:
"Well, Felix. It seems we're gonna go treasure hunting." Leory offers the empty flask to Irina. "Here you go, missy. Be a dear and fill that up for me?" he asks her with a wink.

SilvaShado wrote:
"Yep, let's get going." Felix hopes splitting up will turn out all right, but he has a bad feeling.

I'll use 1 point for Sense Trouble. SilvaShado previously rolled 1d6+1 = (3) + 1 = 4 (Sense Trouble

The two wander over to the downed tree and investigate, it is covered with moss but looks reasonably stable and secure. Certainly it has been here for a while given the over growth of moss.

To cross requires an Athletics Check TN-3.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Erik for the help. I'm not going to use a point since failing would cost a point anyway. Stability 1d6 = (6) = 6

While the past haunts him for a few moments, Felix manages to shake the feelings off, but he remains aware that something is probably watching them. "Leory, I've got a feeling that something is watching us. Reminds me of how I spent many nights on the force. I did a lot of watching, tracking suspects, and this is what it feels like. This place ain't right."

As for the Athletics, I will use a point. Athletics: 1d6+1 = (4) + 1 = 5

Felix starts across the tree, focused on keeping his footing and balance. Now would not be the time for his knee to act up.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 548563. SilvaShado
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • Stability
  • Tue May 20, 2014 8:25 pm
  • [+]
  • 548564. SilvaShado
  • 1d6+1 =
  • (4) + 1 =
  • 5
  • Athletics:
  • Tue May 20, 2014 8:26 pm
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After satisfying his thirst, Charlie takes some time to look around in the area and crawl careful to the edge of the ledge to take a look further down. "I'll look if there's a way further down or somethin'."

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 7, Outdoorsman 3
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Good plan. Could you also check if you see something to carry some more water back up? The others will be thirsty too." Irina is starting to feel more like herself as the group is starting to act with purpose. "If you can't find anything, maybe I should just get some water to the others before they fall over from thirst."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fastfox wrote:
After satisfying his thirst, Charlie takes some time to look around in the area and crawl careful to the edge of the ledge to take a look further down. "I'll look if there's a way further down or somethin'."

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 7, Outdoorsman 3

Refreshed and alert after having the water, it is clear that attempting to continue further down into the Valley would almost be impossible without doe serious climbing gear.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
Thanks Erik for the help. I'm not going to use a point since failing would cost a point anyway. SilvaShado previously rolled 1d6 = (6) = 6 (Stability)

While the past haunts him for a few moments, Felix manages to shake the feelings off, but he remains aware that something is probably watching them. "Leory, I've got a feeling that something is watching us. Reminds me of how I spent many nights on the force. I did a lot of watching, tracking suspects, and this is what it feels like. This place ain't right."

As for the Athletics, I will use a point. SilvaShado previously rolled 1d6+1 = (4) + 1 = 5 (Athletics

Felix starts across the tree, focused on keeping his footing and balance. Now would not be the time for his knee to act up.

Is Leory crossing with Felix? If so, need an athletics roll for Leory.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Charlie gets back up and says "Nothin' to see there, only goes steeply downwards. Let's get back to the others with some water."

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 7, Outdoorsman 3
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sure thing love, right behind you."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettienne Fourie
South Africa
Brackenfell
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Peering over the ledge, Leory is struck by a dizzy spell. "Hmm... I'm really gonna need some water soon," he thinks to himself. Concerned that another dizzy spell could hit him while he's on the tree, he rummages in his backpack for the piece of rope he saw earlier.

I'll spend my last 2 Preparedness points to summon the rope into existence. I reckon it's about 5 meters (15 feet?) long. The idea is to tie it around something as an anchor, as well as around myself to make crossing the tree a bit safer. If this is a bit cheezy or gamey, I'll just do a straight roll and live with it. I'm happy to go with what you experienced folks feel is acceptable. Be that as it may, I'll continue with this plan for the time being in the interest of not holding up the story.

Spotting an outcropping of rock, Leory fastens the rope around it, tugging to make sure it holds fast. Tying the other end around his waist, he walks towards the tree and cautiously starts to cross it. "One step at a time, don't look down, one step at a time, don't look down" he repeats to himself as he concentrates hard on maintaining his balance.

Edit:

Athletics check, spending a point for +1 1d6 +1 = (6) + 1 = 7

Also, apologies for the delayed posting. Have two sick babies who're struggling to sleep for the last couple of nights. Hopefully they'll be better by the weekend.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 549292. saffa
  • 1d6 +1 =
  • (6) + 1 =
  • 7
  • Athletics check, spending a point for +1
  • Thu May 22, 2014 6:26 pm
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [15] |