Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
369 Posts
[1]  Prev «  11 , 12 , 13 , 14 , 15  | 

Stunning Eldritch Tales» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: 2014 Newbie PbF Initiative - Devourers in the Mist IC Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irina tries to put as much distance between her and the tentacled thing that attacked her, crawling as fast as she can.

she still doesn't have a weapon, so for now, she's just trying to get to a somewhat safer space
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The combination of the gunshots and Felix standing in the grasp of the beast gives Irina a chance to crawl away and out of reach of the giant Beast.

Reaching safety, Irina looks back from where she came and sees the beast striking a blow against Felix.

1d6+3 = (5) + 3 = 8 - Tentacle Attack against Felix with 3 point spend.
1d6+5 = (6) + 5 = 11 - Damage


Felix does not see the speared tentacle come from behind where it crashes into his back, piercing his skin. The blow knocks him over, the pain is searing through his body....

Charlie is up.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 612677. TheBigE
  • 1d6+3 =
  • (5) + 3 =
  • 8
  • Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:46 pm
  • [+]
  • 612681. TheBigE
  • 1d6+5 =
  • (6) + 5 =
  • 11
  • Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:48 pm
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yelling "Take him an' let us go! We can't save him anyway!" Charlie tries to get away from that THING as fast as he could manage crawling backwards.

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 2, Outdoorsman 3, Sanity 6, Stability -1, Stealth 6, Weapons 2
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sacrificing Felix to the beast, Charlie crawls and squirms his way away from the beast. The back crawling gets Charlie out of reach of the physical presence of the beast, but the mental torture continues as the screams stay in his head and the smell of putrid air starts to dominate his sense of smell....

Felix or Leory are up...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
His survival instict kicking in against his hopelessness and the overwhelming mental agony, Felix tries to grab one of the tentacles around him and tries to squeeze it and twist it.

He shouts to everyone "Run! Get away while you can! I'm almost done for..."

I guess I want to do a scuffling check, but not sure how many points I can put into it. But this is pretty much Felix's last stand so he'll put everything he can into keeping the monster occupied. He's not trying to get away.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettienne Fourie
South Africa
Brackenfell
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
With a grimace Leory recognises the sacrifice Felix is about to make. Running away is all well and good, but it would simply be postponing the inevitable. Against his better judgement, Leory sprints towards the book, ready to dive, roll or do whatever it takes to get close enough to that dreaded tome to put his gun against it and blast it to smithereens.

Would Leory be able to do an Athletics check to get close to the book? Also, if the gun is a mere inch or two from the book, is it necessary to do a Weapons test or would the target number be significantly reduced? It would really suck to miss at point blank range... but then again, it would fit in to the atmosphere of utter helplessness.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
His survival instict kicking in against his hopelessness and the overwhelming mental agony, Felix tries to grab one of the tentacles around him and tries to squeeze it and twist it.

He shouts to everyone "Run! Get away while you can! I'm almost done for..."

I guess I want to do a scuffling check, but not sure how many points I can put into it. But this is pretty much Felix's last stand so he'll put everything he can into keeping the monster occupied. He's not trying to get away.

I would say you could put at least 6 into it to guarantee the roll...given that you have started with 10 and I do not have in my records that you used more than 4 points. So I would say automatic success.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
saffa wrote:
With a grimace Leory recognises the sacrifice Felix is about to make. Running away is all well and good, but it would simply be postponing the inevitable. Against his better judgement, Leory sprints towards the book, ready to dive, roll or do whatever it takes to get close enough to that dreaded tome to put his gun against it and blast it to smithereens.

Would Leory be able to do an Athletics check to get close to the book? Also, if the gun is a mere inch or two from the book, is it necessary to do a Weapons test or would the target number be significantly reduced? It would really suck to miss at point blank range... but then again, it would fit in to the atmosphere of utter helplessness.

I think it is reasonable to believe that with Felix in the grasps of the beast and occupying him with a successful roll as above, then no need for any roll by Leory. Point blank range against a book, no roll either.

Leory places the gun squarely against the tome and pulls the trigger, releasing the remaining bullets into the book. The lead bullets tear through the cover and pages of the book and ultimately destroying the tome.

As the last bullet is fired, a blue vortex is opened up behind Abholos and the creatures begins to make an awful screaming noise, reminiscent to fingernails running down a chalkboard. As the blue vortex opens larger and larger, the beast the vortex begins to pull the beast from this plane of reality. Using his tentacles, he attempts to grab the side of the cave walls and prevent being pulled through the vortex, but to no avail. As if falling off a cliff, it can no longer hold on to it grips in this dimension and is pulled into the vortex....vanishing from the island.

Nicely done. Lets do a quick wrap up Role Playing post to finish this scene and then we will do a very very short wrap up scene to close the story.


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unbelieving Charlie stares at the now empty cave. Whispering he starts to talk "Is it gone? Really gone?? Did ... did we ... win ... in the end???"

Charlie Allred Athletics 5, Health 2, Outdoorsman 3, Sanity 6, Stability -1, Stealth 6, Weapons 2
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for going with my intentions of doing the best that I could do.

Felix collapses to the ground, amazed and bewildered and very much in pain. He focuses on breathing, trying to block out the roaring in his head. I can't believe I'm alive, is all he can think.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irina stares at the now empty cave, "Book... How... You...", she composes herself, "Thank you, darlings."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will wait through today for Leory (saffa) to post and then move to the closing scene.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettienne Fourie
South Africa
Brackenfell
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Sorry guys. Got a bit swamped with annual Performance Appraisal stuff at work. The soul-sucking joys of corporate life shake

As the beast finally vanishes into the rift, the empty gun drops from Leory's hand. Dazed, he follows suit, falling to his knees as he tries to comprehend what had just happened. Was it even real? Was any of this real? Is he going to wake up in some kind of hospital or sanitarium after a grievous injury sustained while the boat sank? Or is all this a case of severe heat stroke? All that he knows for sure is that he's had enough.

Looking around one more time, he spots his comrades. Each of them seem to carry severe wounds, both mental and physical. Irina and Charlie look to be physically alright though, as they are able to move. Felix, however, appears to be in bad shape.

Hoping to examine the fallen policeman, he crawls over to where Felix lies. Ripping off pieces of his shirt, he tries to see where he can apply a compress or bind a tourniquet to halt the flow of blood.

Leory has some medical skills. Is it necessary to roll for medical treatment or are we just assuming these things work, seeing as we're wrapping up?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The first few moments after the vortex closes are quiet. Leroy, Charlie, Felix and Irina remain motionless. What have they just seen, where are they...this seemingly innocous island in which they have been stranded has led them to the brink of death and forever taken part of their souls and mind.

Over the next several days, the group does not speak of the past or what they have seen, and all efforts are focused on making a life and surviving on the island, as both water and food source are secured. Physical wounds are tended too, but the mental wounds will remain forever.

There is no mention by anyone in the group when the large obelisk tower, that used to dominate the centre of the island, suddenly is no longer present, nor does anyone acknowledge the unmistakable sounds of the island eroding and falling into the ocean. Blissful ignorance is clearly the only way to survive in this place.

Days pass into nights, and eventually the smoke and fire from the group's camp are enough to attract the lookout on a passing by freighter, and it is not long before a rescue boat and a small landing party finds the tattered group of castaways huddled quietly about the fire. Little words are spoken as the group boards the rescue boat back to the freighter.

As the rescue boats move into the open ocean toward the freighter, the island where the group was stranded suddenly implodes completely and vanishes beneath the waves, never to be seen of again. The boats Coxswain looks confused for a minute, but then refocus on his job of piloting the rescue boat back to the freighter, the look on his face suggest an opinion of ¨Strange things happen at sea....¨

Okay that pretty much brings us to the end, perhaps everyone give one wrap up post for their character. Close out your Investigator's story however you feel appropriate based on the story. Thanks.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After arriving in the next port, Charlie charters on the next ship going going to his homeland. He swears he will set a foot on an island again in his life and foots it towards the heartland.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felix finds his motivation to return to work and, though jumpy at times, he becomes one of the most respected cops on the force. His focus and dedication are unparalleled, but little do people know that he does this to keep the demons in his mind at bay.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irina goes back to her old tricks, and writes a book about what happened on the island. Though some things may have gotten changed a bit. As she might say 'People like a lovable heroine, darlings'. Sometimes she can almost fool herself into believing what she wrote.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettienne Fourie
South Africa
Brackenfell
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
On the ship Leory keeps to himself. He can't help but feel some resentment towards the others. While they were falling apart, he was the one who held it together long enough to destroy the beast. In all likelihood, he thinks, he's gone and saved the world. And not so much as a single "thank you" from any of the others. Bah! Now they carry on as if nothing ever happened, refusing to talk about anything. Fat chance of them corroborating his story one day...

When they reach port, Leory sets out to uncover as much as he can about the cult surrounding the monstrosity from the island. If he can prove they exist, why, then he can prove his version of events on the island! He'll be famous! Then others will know that they are in the presence of an international hero. Maybe he can get someone to make one of those fancy new movies about it. One day.

"Hmm... Leory, the gun-wielding, whip-snapping archaeologist. That's got some great potential," he mutters to no one in particular.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The End
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  11 , 12 , 13 , 14 , 15  |