Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Communications Technician 2nd class Robert Munro
Personal log, 03/09/2143

11:32

Earth is no longer visible anymore. I sat there in the rear of the ship for maybe 4 hours just watching the little blue marble fade into the void. Gregory mentioned they think they'll boot up the sub light engine tomorrow. Worked in the lab, I'm sure it'll be fine. With the proton packets the time delay is just 4 hours currently, I really need to get my head down.

02:54

Still can't sleep, went wandering the ship. It's childish but seeing all those sleeping bodies creeps me out. I know they're just in cryo but it looks like some insane morgue down there. I don't know if I'm scared or looking forward to taking my shift in deep sleep. I wonder if they dream, I should ask about that tomorrow.

Fuck, when I get out everyone I know back home will be dead. Who knows if earth will survive that long. heh, might as well call this Noah's Ark! Not sure if we bothered we got a dove on board.

close log

Robert Munro - current story points 0 - threshold 12

+2 leaving home
+4 sleep of the dead
+5 Stepping further into the void

edited the threads per Micha's post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Just a small correction - threads' values are equal to their word count:
+2 leaving home
+4 sleep of the dead
+4 further into the dark

Also, each must have a different word count. But lets keep it going, just something to remember on the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
+4 Sleep of the Dead

Quote:
Joe Taal, Security Officer
Excerpts from Shift Acceptance Form SH01/345

Time/date: ...
Previous Shift Officer: Jorge Barraq
(see attached: Jorge Barraq - Health Assesment Log)

Joint patrolling results:
- Passenger Deck Aleph - check
- Passenger Deck Baal - check
- Secure Passenger Deck - check
- Crew Quarters - restricted (see Protocol D017)
- Military Deck - restricted at all times

Highlights from the previous shift:
23:17 Health monitor alert on Deck Baal.
Medic and Cryogenic Chamber Technician (see personal info) arrived independently.
Death time established as 23:08. Medical protocol, cryogenic data dump - attached.
(Passenger information - pending approvement for disclosure, currenlty protected by privacy laws. Designation: Passanger B).
23:19 Medical error confirmed. Passenger B under medical supervision, but stable. Medical protocol - attached.
00:05 Passenger B found acceptable for continuing in cryogenic state. Enhanced medical monitor enabled.
Cryogenic Chamber Technician - debrief scheduled.

- Joe Taal, 1 bads, 0 goods (story points: 0 + 4 = 4) (threshold 12)

+1 Bruises
+2 Proton Packets
+4 The Bogus Protocol Case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Bruises

Quote:
Ellis Nichols, Cryogenic Chamber Technician – Personal log.

Day 2

You’d think there’d be a better way to transport all these people. Stacked up and subjected to the rigours of thrust as Earth recedes into the distance, their bodies, slack and unconscious, becoming distorted, misshapen, a disfigured abomination of the perfection and purity we’re supposed to be carrying to a new Eden.

As I wander these cold corridors, staring through the frosting glass at the blank, drooling faces, I find it hard to believe that any God would want to make us in this image. Who knows the effects of long-term space-flight? Already this human cargo is bruising; microscopic tears in the blood vessels under the skin caused by the initial blast-off from Earth has caused hypostasis under the g-force of the gradual acceleration. They’re a bloody mess, our human cargo.

As I watched our planet recede on the viewscreen it became obvious how utterly alone we were in the cosmos, and now a fraction of our number have been sent blasting through space in a metal tube, to sleep until we find somewhere to replace the verdant land we destroyed. Staring down at the silent faces, I receive no encouragement for the future, no hope that we can make it to somewhere we can start again and maybe learn from our mistakes. There is no relief in those blank features from the morbidity in my soul that’s spreading like the pooling blood beneath the unliving under my watch.

I must turn the viewscreen forward, try to make out what is out there, to discover a bright future in the emptiness of the universe.

- Ellis Nichols, 1 Bad, 0 Good. (Story points: 4+1=5)(Threshold 12)

=========================

+1 Swiftly
+2 Pervading Bleakness
+3 Distorted by Distance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+3 Distorted by Distance

Quote:
proton data packet 782736-56
Communications technician Robert Munro to earth command.o

8 days out from earth.

-sub light drive success, estimated speed exceeded by 1.04%

-crew within accepted parameters, there are some signs of stress and anxiety but nothing the simulations didn't expect.

-1 instants of malfu011tion in the cryogenic deck, but swiftly fixed (you should have seen them frank, got a error on the life support and they were running round like headless chickens)

-photon catch is replenishing fuel as we use it, engine eff011ency is losing only 0.00003% of optimal thrust now that we're switched to sub light. At current sp0ed we expect to leave the solar system at the end of the month (30 days till the signals will be garbled mess by the time they reach you, I'll miss these chats. I wonder what you even look like)

-minor solar radia1101 interference as we pass through zone G, some ship systems report minor fluctuations but so far noth010 serious. At this speed we should be safely past in the next 48 hours (how bad is it back home? We were on lock down for 4 mont0 11fore launch but even before then... You doing ok?)

-fucking stocks at 99.9993%

-2 months till first shift change....

Transmission end.

- Robert Munro, 2 Bad, 0 Good. (Story points: 5+3=8)(Threshold 12)

+2 shift change
+3 a blind friendship
+4 Hiccups in the system

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
+4 Hiccups in the system

Quote:
From the videolog he is recording for his granddaughter Eva, who is currently on board, in cryogenic sleep.

(An old man, in his neat freshly ironed uniform, speaks not looking at the camera)
Of course, the amount of possibles instances of malfunctioning in any closed system can be predicted. However, human society on a natural planet is not a closed system. Modern algorithmic models - which, I hope, will be obsolete by the time you, honey, wake from your deep sleep - are either not detailed enough, or computationally non-solvable in any reasonable time. Otherwise, we wouldn't be running from our Earth in this {rewind/delete} Sorry. Now, about this ship and why it's so important for our today's lesson. A spaceship traveling at a speed close to the speed of light, can be, with some reservations, considered a closed system. In these circumstances, our computational power is more than sufficient to predict any malfunctionings of both physical and sociological nature. Mhm? Let's try a rough approximation...

(The man starts typing, and half-transparent symbols start to appear on the screen)

- Joe Taal, 1 Bad, 1 Good. (Story points: 8+4=12) (Threshold 12)

And I hit the threshold. Please, remember to reset your Goods/Bas to zeros.
An ephemera chapter coming soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
+9 The mind of a mad God

Quote:
Footage from a security camera on the Passenger Deck Baal.

The point of view is a wide angle on a row of cryogenic cameras.
On the right side - a part of a blast door with clearly visible markings: "Deck B. Stack 13. Row 175..." The rest of the row number is not visible because of the camera's angle.
Each cryogenic camera has a transparent door. The glass is covered with spots of frost, but they are subtle enough to reveal passengers' bodies. The postures of the bodies are random, relaxed and mildly disgusting.
The picture remains the same for 4 minutes, after which the bodies start to gently but noticeably move. The amplitude of the movement increases and reaches its peak after 3.5 minutes. Now all the bodies are moving absolutely uniformly and synchronously. It looks like they are are listening to the same piece of music, and nod, wave their arms and twist their legs in one phantasmagorical 'dance', fortunately limited by cameras' walls. The movements are so well synchronized, that it looks like there should be a single source controlling the entire performance. This source seems to be able make his minions bend in almost impossible ways, hardly achievable by anybody who would be wanting to mimic the movements out of his personal will.
After 1.5 minutes, the 'dance' ends abruptly and the bodies return to their previous postures.
After another 22 minutes, a man (woman?) in a white HAZMAT costume enters the compartment. She presses a few buttons on one of the cryogenic cameras. In response, a large green word NORM appears on the touchscreen.

- (Story points: 12) (Threshold 12+9=21)

Not using my option to write another personal chapter. So, Alan is next.

+1 magpie
+2 tea party
+3 random failure generator
+4 funny letters from home
+5 other people who disgust me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That is creepy....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Magpie

Quote:

Day 9

Most of the active-duty crew don’t come down here, and that suits me just fine. I’m becoming accustomed to the faces I see every day, distorted by the frost through the thick glass. Glass! I can’t believe such a primitive and expensive material was used for the cryopods. Still, it allows me to sit and watch our cargo as I while away the lonely hours, imagining the backgrounds of each person here.

Of course, I could easily look at the crew manifests to cross-reference personal ID’s and discover what valuable skills each individual is bringing to our new Eden, but where would be the fun in that?

I sit in front of crew member 0626, one of my favourites. Through the glass I can see she is blonde, in her early thirties and has a big nose. Not bulbous, but angular, aquiline, maybe ‘big’ is the wrong word; ‘prominent’ may be more accurate. It doesn’t look out of place on her face, it looks regal. The nameplate on the side of the cryopod identifies her as Sarah Navic.

I imagine her as a lover of art and a singer with a deep timbrous voice. Classically trained, she rebelled and joined a political punk band before her skills as an anthrozoologist brought her to the attention of NASA and the insane folly that is their plan to find a new world. The same plan I was drawn into and could not escape.

This is all conjecture. She may be a cook or a plumber with no exotic background at all. Still, I’ve made friends with crew member 0626 and I imagine writing songs with her when the time comes for her awakening.

As I walk these corridors every day, I store the images of the frozen visages in my mind, keeping the bright ones and imagining a world filled with these interesting people whom I now know so well. I don’t need the crew up above in the mess halls with their unchanging drills and dreary daily routines. I have friends down here, with whom I can look forward to a brighter future.

+ Ellis Nichols, 1 Good, 1 Bad. (Story Points 12+1=13) (Threshold 21)

===================================================

+1 Proportionless
+2 Organic Overload
+3 Mind Over Matter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+2 Organic Overload

Quote:
Note affixed to fridge in communal kitchen for the current shift from Communications Technician 2nd class Robert Munro.

I know we all need to let off steam but dammit guys enough with the practical jokes. If I find someone moves my shit around once more I'll be filing a official report. Private quarters are private for a reason!

Munro.

- Robert Munro, 0 Good, 1 Bad. (Story Points 13+2=15) (Threshold 21)

+2 Private space

+3 The break in

+4 A joke too far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
+2 Private space

Quote:
From a letter to his wife Inna, deceased in the First Wipe.

But I don't feel lonely anymore. On the contrary, when I walk down these empty corridors, I have a feeling like I am struggling to pass through a crowd.
Don't get me wrong, I don't have visions and there are no voices whispering inside my head. I'm not crazy. But this illusion of constant presense of multiple alien beings is maddening.
Eventually, I have developed a remedial ritual: I would lock myself in my room and cover the edges of the door with adhesive tape - not to leave even a small slit. Then I would curl up in my bunk, and be alone at last.
This helped me for a little while. Then, one evening, I found myself wrapping the sticky tape around my naked wrinkled body, layer after layer, until there was this ugly rustling cocoon around me. The relief was immense, but so was the fear of being caught. I cannot let anyone know about this little game I play.

- Joe Taal, 1 Good, 0 Bad. (Story Points 15+2=17) (Threshold 21)

+1 Nosebleed
+2 Footprints, again
+4 Inside the cryogenic camera
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Nosebleed

Quote:

Day 13

She talks to me. Her soft voice inside my head a mellifluous bell that summons me to her side. As we watch the stars, at least to our eyes, neither approach nor recede, simply hanging there, a curtain of lights that hide a greater mystery, she speaks of worlds unseen.

Vast spheres of green and blue await us. Not yet, but soon. Blue and green dappled with the purple and yellow of the suns surround the people of the future, singing a hymn to the universe that stretches through the bleak nothingness of space, reaching into every corner, enticingly and filled with promise.

Her words are warm, they keep me safe. I know she will protect us

I am happy here. As I gaze through the icy shielding, she seems to turn to me, her mouth opened slightly to whisper her prescient thoughts. My nose drips crimson onto the glass. With the handkerchief I’ve brought to save the sleeves of my tunic, I diligently wipe the chamber canopy clean to look upon her face again,

+ Ellis Nichols, 1 Good, 0 Bad. (Story Points 17+1=18) (Threshold 21)

+1 Divel
+2 Graveyard Shift
+3 Deep Space Protocol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+3 Deep Space Protocol

Quote:

proton 01ta packet 782736-88
Co101011ions technician Rob100 01nro to earth command

-sub light drive within estimated parame1010 and proton catch is working like a treat (see attached data log)

-00011110110 101010 01101010 010110101 01001 57% and falling, we really can't 010101100 10101010110

-We're getting reports of strange behavior, Dr. Yuriko has began administering sedatives and anti psychotics to 010 01011110 01010101. And 01010101 that the tension should 0110100101 0101100101 the next weeks.

-Cryogenics is st011 getting unusual reading, I'm still getting fobbed off by Nich01s about repairs. Not like I can fire him though. (guy creeps me the fuck out)

-I'm amazed the signals are 01110 getting thr0ugh, perhaps t01 0111 was off. I'm hopping I don't need to say bye for a good long whi10.

-000110 01101011110 101 01101 010101 dead 0111001 01110 101011011101 1001 01001101100010110101 10000011 0011111111111010 01101 0101101 0110 1 011011 to 11 0100101101 00001011 111010101 101010 1001010 10101 we've been 1010001001010 100101010 011010 01011 1 0100101 1 010010 010100 10 010101010101 01010101010 01010010 0 01100 1010101 RED shift 00010 10 010 010101001 001010100 0101010101 001010101 010010 010010101 01001011

-101110 at 99.9992%

-34 days till first shi01 111nge....

-Report amendment

-0010101010 if we 10101010110 10101010101 101010101 101010101 101010 0101010101 0101101001 1010101 0101 0101 0101 initiate 010101010 0110 1 0101101010 010110 010 01010 101010101 01011000101 0000101 the dance has 01010101 00101101011011 1011011001 released among 111110101101 1010101010 01101010 01010 been ten cycles with 01 10010 1010 01010010 0101010.

Tra01011110ion e01.

- Richard Munro, 1 Good, 1 Bad. (Story Points 18+3=21) (Threshold 21)

Boom, right on the ephemera threshold, post incoming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are you allowed to have 2 bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
VALIS13 wrote:
Are you allowed to have 2 bad?

Quote:
a player cannot accumulate more than a difference of 1 between types
So, with 0 goods you cannot have 2 bads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok, will edit that. I'm still trying to figure out the basic concept for my emphemera chapter, my creative juices just seemed to be corked at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can't rush creative genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+8 blood on the screen

Quote:

Footage from a security cameras 32A, 07D, 87A.

-Camera 32A 23:42:01 to 23:42:54
looking down a long corridor the light of a room highlights the opposite wall with the silhouette of 2 people standing in the doorway, they seem to be frozen in place for a handful of seconds. They then head off in opposite directions, one quickly disappearing around the corner as the other heads down the corridor towards the camera. Just as he disappears under the camera his closed eyes are caught in the light for one moment.

-Camera 07D 03:23:57 to 03:53:57
A bank of computer servers hum quietly as a figure stands in the shadows. Blinking red lights occasionally track across the blank face of the man as he just stands there like a statue, unmoving, for exactly 30 minutes.

-Camera 87A 04:02:29 to 04:52:12
A man is sitting over a large computer screen typing into a holographic keyboard projected 2 centimeters above the display. His back is to the door as it opens with a soft swish. A nude man steps in without any sense of emotion and grabs the back of the techs head and repeatedly smashes it into the screen well past the point of death. The figure then lets go and turns on the spot, promptly leaving.

-Camera 32A 05:13:34 to 05:15:02
The two figures reconvene with perfect synchronization in the long corridor and reenter the opened doorway.

- (Story points: 21) (Threshold 21+8=29)

+1 investigations
+2 missing time
+3 water on metal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WTF! Good luck following this, Schizoid!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It was all photoshopped. No worries. Cryogenics is working as intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
+1 investigations

Quote:

From a letter to his wife.

Today they came again. Banged on the door and shouted. I was not paying attention, but I heard some disconnected words: they were talking about some accident, somebody was hurt, they saw blood. They wanted me to get out of my room and start investigation. It sounded serious, but I don't have time for mundane things right now. I have my own investigations going on, all the time, inside my room.
I have noticed a tear in the adhesive tape on the ceiling. Spent an hour with a magnifier and a radiometer. I know who did it, but I needed evidence: I'm a professional, not some Free Space Ranger, who would just storm in and shoot everyone who looks suspicious.
The tea mug was moved to another side of the desk, and remember that vintage alarm clock we bought together in Rio? - broken. I promise, I will find the bastard, but I need time. And with all these people coming and disturbing me all the time...
But the worst thing - someone is messing with my videos, the log I'm recording for Evochka. When the security suite on my computer reported a broken digital signature, I thought it was a mistake. You know, computer security is ridden with false positives. But then I rewatched the video, and I was shocked: the person recorded looked exactly like me, but, swear to God, it wasn't me! The imposter was talking about basic math, but he was deliberately inserting little variations here and there, the thing I'd never do.
I swear, I'm not leaving this room until I find who did it. I just need to check the adhesive tape, make sure it's perfectly intact. It will take only a couple of hours. Then - back to investigations.

- Joe Taal, 0 Good, 1 Bad. (Story Points 21+1=22) (Threshold 29)

+1 Embrace
+2 Simple explanation
+4 Everything back to normal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+2 Simple Explanation

Quote:

Day 17

Maybe it’s the cold, or the silence, or the never-ending journey into the unknown, but my perception is changing. When I speak to Sarah, crew member 0626, I can tell she’s listening to me. She’s not just hearing, she listens. She comprehends. I can tell her anything, I know she understands and that knowledge is the warm spark inside of me that keeps me going in this chill cylinder accelerating into the darkness.

Maybe it’s the time-dilation. I never paid much attention to the briefings on relativity and how it would affect perception. Were we told there would be effects? I don’t remember, but maybe I’m wrong.

I look through the glass at Sarah. She’s moved since I last saw her, her left arm is folded across her stomach. That shouldn’t happen in cryostasis, the bodies in my care are devoid of life signs. They’re effectively dead. I stare through the glass at Sarah. Maybe her arm was always like that and I hadn’t noticed. Yes, that must be it.

Still, Sarah knows I’m here, and she gives me comfort as I tell her of the noises, the movement on the other side of my door and the distant banging and shouting that come from outside my room at night, that’s if you can call it night in this eternal blackness. There really isn’t any way to differentiate other than the passing of time as recorded by the ship’s clocks. Again, I don’t know how my perception of time is altered as we continue to accelerate. I don’t know what is night and what is day. I simply sleep when the clocks prescribe it. I should have paid more attention during the briefings.

Wandering the banks of cryopods I notice other crew members in contorted positions. I stand and stare at them for moments on end. There is something wrong here, they should not move. They can hear me, I know that, but they should not be able to move. I can’t take my eyes away from the pods.

What is causing this? Could I be wrong? In these past seventeen days as I wander back and forth amongst the pods, have I only just noticed the uncomfortable positions in which some of the crew have been placed? Were they like this from the start? Or has the time-dilation had some effect on my perception. Now I think about it, I’m sure I remember something from the briefings about hallucinatory effects. Yes, in fact I’m positive. There was definitely mention of perception aberration as a consequence of time-dilation.

I remember it clearly now.

- Ellis Nichols, 1 Good, 1 Bad. (Story Points 22+2=24) (Threshold 29)

+1 Memory
+2 Wide Open
+3 Oxygen Field Generation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Memory

Quote:
Richard Munro, Technician Whatever - Personal log.

Day 18

I tried to send a report about... Maybe with a week in a super computer they can piece together some of it but we're alone out here now. I mean even if they got the message and sent one back I just don't have the equipment to do the same...

Fucking hell, that was next door. Dr Yuriko was the only one keeping these lunatics sane and now he's gone. Jacobs has been trying to hunt out Taal but he's locked away somewhere and not responding...

Everyone I pass seems like they've not slept in weeks and things are still getting moved around when I've been out... I think also when I've been asleep. I tried to contact Taal about the video logs but he's still AWOL, in the end I went to the server rooms myself and the harddrives are gone, we can only bring up what's in the buffers. Anything older than 4 hours is just getting deleted, it's got no where to go...

- Richard Munro, 0 Good, 1 Bad. (Story Points 24+1=25) (Threshold 29)

+1 Osmosis
+2 Tonal dissonance
+3 Break on through

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |