Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
368 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 5-02: The Wardstone Patrol» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Greenclaw's 5-02 - The Wardstone Patrol (IC) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the In Character [IC] thread for one of our offical RPG Geek Pathfinder Society Games. Click here to learn how you can join the guild and take part in our regular offering of sanctioned Pathfinder Society games!

Our cast of characters:


Character Player Class/Level PFS # Faction

Milo Montajay residue Bard 3/Fighter 1 78307-2 Taldor
Ozgg znirp81 Barbarian 2/Druid 2 78727-1 Sczarni
Hiram Thistlefoot Rodafowa Rogue 3/Barbarian 1 78729-1 Andoran
Endo Fineleaf Vladimir17 Cavalier 3/Bard 1 73392-2 Andoran
Indo Cobbz20 Monk 3 76206-3 Silver Crusade

Quick link to Character Depository.
Quick link to the OOC thread.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For decades, the crusader nation of Mendev has stood as a bulwark against the ever-expanding demonic blight known as the Worldwound. Since the Abyssal portal first opened in the barbarian realm of Sarkoris over a hundred years ago, four separate crusades have been called. Warriors both devout and opportunistic have responded ever since by making the long trek to Avistan’s far north.

The wardstones, built as the ultimate defensive line during the Second Crusade, are magical menhirs of tremendous power linked together to form an invisible wall that destroys any lesser demons that dare approach it. The recent failure of the wardstones was part of a series of attacks on Mendev’s magical defenses that have characterized the battles of the current war known as the Fifth Crusade. The loss of this crucial defensive line has brought an understandable urgency to the war, and it’s in this chaotic and quickly evolving environment that the group of Pathfinders find themselves called to Nerosyan to stand against the demonic hordes.

Mendev’s Pathfinder lodge in the capital city of Nerosyan is housed within Starrise Spire, a defensive tower in the outer wall whose pinnacle glows with celestial light that shines out like a beacon, simultaneously giving comfort to Nerosyan’s defenders and acting as a warning to any who might wish the city harm.

Venture-Captain Jorsal of Lauterbury calls a short meeting on a covered balcony overlooking the city. A middle-aged Mwangi man with greying hair, he closes the door to the spire’s interior and takes a seat in one of the set-up camp chairs, gesturing for his guests to do the same.



“We Pathfinders of Mendev,” he states, making a sweeping hand gesture that encompasses everyone present, “have our own agendas, but these must sometimes give way to the greater need: the protection of this land and its people from the horrors that dwell in the Worldwound.

“We are here by the grace of her majesty, Queen Galfrey of Mendev. Without her support, we would surely be run out of town by Hulrun’s more fervent followers. Our agreement with her states that all Pathfinders are required to volunteer some of their time in the defense of the realm. As relative newcomers, I’ve recommended you to take part in a minor military mission under the command of a veteran crusader named Sir Ilivan of Erages. Although he is not a Pathfinder, you would be wise to follow his advice, as he has been fighting the Abyssal spawn longer than some of you have been alive. I expect you will give him the respect he deserves.”

Venture-Captain Jorsal stands and opens the heavy wooden door leading back into the lodge, revealing a tall half-elven man clad in heavy plate armor, wearing a red tabard typical of the Mendevian Crusaders, and carrying a cavalry helmet in his left hand. He gives a professional nod to Jorsal before striding to the front of the group, surveying everyone with poorly disguised disappointment.



“Pathfinders,” he barks in quick staccato without further preamble, “our mission is simple. The recent attacks on the wardstones have compromised our defenses, and the enemy presses its advantage. We have received word of attacks on Fort Portolmaeus to the north, but the crusader leadership suspects that other parts of the line may have been breached as well. We will proceed to Fort Portolmaeus tomorrow morning on horseback to assess the damage, using the passphrase ‘That the Black Prince might be redeemed’ to permit us entry. On the way there, we will scout for enemy movements and other signs of demon activity. Once we have completed our assessment, we are to return to Nerosyan and you will be relieved of your obligations to the Crown. Do you have any questions?”
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo, of course excited to go up against demons and other nastiness, regards the half-elf through the smoke slowly floating up from the end of his pipe. "At your service and command Sir Ilivan. This fort, how far a journey is it? And excuse the ignorance of a newcomer, but what does the followers of Hulrun have against the Pathfinders?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozgg raises a hand Can I's eat horse after?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
residue wrote:
Milo, of course excited to go up against demons and other nastiness, regards the half-elf through the smoke slowly floating up from the end of his pipe. "At your service and command Sir Ilivan. This fort, how far a journey is it? And excuse the ignorance of a newcomer, but what does the followers of Hulrun have against the Pathfinders?"

Sir Ilivan turns to Milo, giving the bard a quick nod in response to his respectful address. "Not that far lad. We'll be travelling along the River Road along the eastern bank of the West Sellen River. We'll be at the Fort well before nightfall."

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
znirp81 wrote:
Ozgg raises a hand Can I's eat horse after?

Ilivan holds back a slight smirk at the half-orc's comments before replying. "Better you eat the thing at the end of the trip than the start, that much I'll say!"

Looking around for any more questions Ilivan takes a moment to give the group some advice. "For those of you who haven't faced demons before you should make sure you have a cold iron weapon. Oh, and if you don't have one already, you should get a cold weather outfit. It can drop below freezing at night in this part of Avistan. For those of you who don't have your own mounts, the Mendevian Crown has granted you the use of a combat trained horse or pony, a saddle, bit and bridle, and saddlebags filled with plenty of feed."

You all have time to make any additional purchased if desired.

You can make some Knowledge (History, Local or Religion) checks for some background on the Mendevian Crusades, or Diplomacy or Know (local) for info on Sir Ilivan.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Endo patiently listens to Venture-Captain and Sir Ilivan while stroking Mr. Snuggles' fur and then makes a mental note to himself to buy himself a backup cold iron weapon.

I have purchased a cold iron longsword for 330 gp. Editing the character depository to reflect the change.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greenclaw wrote:
Ilivan holds back a slight smirk at the half-orc's comments before replying. "Better you eat the thing at the end of the trip than the start, that much I'll say!"

Ozgg no dumb dumb he mutters slightly hurt that Ilivan suggested he doesn't know the correct horse eating etiquette.

Ozgg haggles wildly for a winter suit. He drives the price in random directions some times a offering a crunchy beetle, before finally settling on 20 times the asking price. The shop keeper gets scared the Orc might realise his mistake and come back so offers it to him at the normal price and congratulates him on his acute business sense.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo's right eye twitches slightly at the usual antics from Ozgg, but he lets it pass without comment. "Taldor is pleased to serve, sire." he replies and makes a note of unpacking the cold weather outfit he has stored together with the rest of some goodies carried by his mighty steed Sleipnir.

Will update character sheet. Should be set for CI. Anything else demons don't like?

Heh. At first I thought I had thrown away the cold weather outfit but it was on the horse. Duh.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While the others hurry about doing some last minute shopping and probably making sure one or more merchants will opt for another way of life Milo does some discreet digging around, using his natural charm and smashing looks, not to mention the fame that precedes him to every corner of Golarion.


What's the deal with this crusade?
Knowledge (local) 1d20+7 = (12) + 7 = 19

Sir Ilivan is ok, yeah? Not a lunatic of any kind, yeah?
Diplomacy 1d20+8 = (19) + 8 = 27

Great. Use up all the good rolls at this stage.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 493041. residue
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (12) + 7 =
  • 19
  • Knowledge (local)
  • Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:58 pm
  • [+]
  • 493043. residue
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (19) + 8 =
  • 27
  • Diplomacy
  • Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:58 pm
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo Know (local)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Mendevian Crusades began almost a century ago when a rift to the Abyss opened in the barbarian kingdom of Sarkoris. The church of the goddess Iomedae called the First Crusade, and it was largely a success.

The wardstones are magical menhirs of tremendous power first built during the Second Crusade. They project a powerful field capable of destroying all
but the most powerful demons. Built near the banks of the West Sellen and Moutray Rivers, they stopped the expansion of the Worldwound until very recently.

The wardstones recently failed, coinciding with a large attack on Nerosyan. No doubt the demons are at least indirectly responsible.


Milo Diplomacy:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The half-elven soldier, Sir Ilivan, was a smuggler on Lake Encarthan before joining the Mendevian Crusades, a fact he is not ashamed to admit.

Sir Ilivan rose from the ranks of the enlisted to become an officer and was knighted by Queen Galfrey.

The knight hails from the half-elven settlement of Erages in Kyonin, where he had to endure prejudice and segregation throughout his youth. He later joined Kyonin’s military, but ultimately left his homeland
after being discharged from this military for striking an elven officer.

Sir Ilivan has become increasingly distant in the past few years due to the horrors endured by all soldiers who fight in the Mendevian Crusades. His most devastating experience involved killing a number of fellow soldiers while he was demonically possessed.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cobb
United States
Cortland
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Indo graciously waits his turn to approach Sir Ilivan. As he reaches the front, he bows respectfully.

"I am at your service, Sir Ilivan. I have dedicated my life to the defeat of evil. You can count on me."

After the group is dismissed, Indo heads into town to purchase some cold weather gear and a couple applications of cold iron weapon blanch.

Back at the inn, after a fine dinner of roast pig, peas and apple cider, he applies the blanch to both ends of his quarterstaff. Propping the staff within reach in the corner, he will find a comfortable position to meditate and see if he can recall any knowledge about the crusades.

Know - religion 1d20+5 = (5) + 5 = 10
Know - local 1d20+4 = (4) + 4 = 8


Despite his best intentions, he is distracted by Ozzg's successful search for edible beetles and the following consumption of them, that he is unable to remember if these crusades were even covered in his classes back at the monastery.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 493318. cobbz20
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (5) + 5 =
  • 10
  • Know - religion
  • Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:12 pm
  • [+]
  • 493319. cobbz20
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (4) + 4 =
  • 8
  • Know - local
  • Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:12 pm
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Ilivan nods sternly to Indo as he pledges his service. "Good to hear man, I hope that's true...but don't be too quick to dedicate your whole life away. Evil's not something that can just be defeated. You'll find it's something that's with you in some form every day of your life."


As everyone reassembles with their new supplies, Ilivan mounts his horse and with a kick of his heel spurs it up to the front of the group. "Let's get this job done then shall we? Just wait for my orders and don't go straying off on any fool's errands along the way, is that clear?"

Just a reminder that Indo and Ozzg have the opportunity to progress their faction goals in this scenario and pick up a unique boon in addition to any PP the group may earn. Al and Matt let me know if you have any questions about what may be required or if anything is unclear.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Mojo gives Ozgg a elbow poke.

"Ozgg heard!" he mumbles looking to the floor.

I believe I understood my faction goal, if I miss out it's my bad.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Milo pats the side of Sleipnir's neck after he has mounted the horse. "You heard the man, friends. Lets try and stick together as a group, no dillydallying off on your personal crusades. We go in together, we come out together."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Where we go?" Ozgg genuinely curious. It's always best to give him a one sentence summary of his mission using small words or who knows what he'll decide the mission is.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Ilivan leads the group off on the patrol. What looks like it would normally be a well-used thoroughfare following the eastern bank of the West Sellen River is today completely deserted except for the knight and his party. After a few miles of travel within sight of the river, Sir Ilivan turns off of the River Road onto a small, overgrown path that cuts through drooping evergreens.

"Up ahead here is a long-abandoned village. The enemy has used it as a staging area in the past. We'll stop here a moment and let the horses have a short rest and a bit of a feed on the abandoned fruit orchards that still grow on the spot."

Heading into the old vineyard, the knight dismounts and ties his mare to a tree, motioning for the group to do the same with their animals.

He then leads the group as quietly as he can up a nearby hill dotted with gnarled apple trees. Just before reaching the top of the hill, he stops in his tracks, motioning silently but with emphatically for everyone to drop prone and crawl the rest of the way.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hum. Hiram hasn't checked in at all yet? Just realized there's been no whining for the entire thread.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shall I whine instead of him?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just sent him a geekmail, so if he somehow just missed subscribing he will hopefully pop up before too long.

Dan, if that's the case feel free to retcon any questions or purchases etc in. We have only really got started into the adventure proper as of now.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Wonderful. So we might be fighting wibbly demons in the freezing cold. But on the other hand, at least there's no money in it. Spiffing."

cobbz20 wrote:

"I am at your service, Sir Ilivan. I have dedicated my life to the defeat of evil. You can count on me."
"Well. Unless we run into a bunch of orphaned kittens or something that desperately need a big strong chap in a dressing-gown to run off and protect them from the cruel cruel world. Under that circumstance all bets would seem to be rather off, what?"

greenclaw wrote:
"Evil's not something that can just be defeated. You'll find it's something that's with you in some form every day of your life."
"Why is everyone suddenly looking at me?"

I think Hiram's all set for cold iron. I'll have a quick browse of the inventory and see if there's anything else he needed to grab, sorry.
5 
 Thumb up
0.28
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cobb
United States
Cortland
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
znirp81 wrote:
"Where we go?" Ozgg genuinely curious. It's always best to give him a one sentence summary of his mission using small words or who knows what he'll decide the mission is.

With excitement on his face, Indo summarizes the mission for the big half-orc. "Fight demons Ozzg. We go to fight demons." While Indo was content to help spread good in many forms, he was at his best when doing it with his quarterstaff, and this upcoming mission looked to have plenty of opportunity to do that.

The monk falls silent shortly after talking with Ozzg. He was taking some time to contemplate the words of Sir Ilivan and other members of the group. Knowledge came in many forms, and a wise man takes the time to sift through what is being said.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiram slumps off the back of his piebald pony, saddle-sore and grumpy. His mood is not improved any by his becoming more closely acquainted with the frosty grass. He strings his bow and crawls up to peer over the crest of the hill.

He'll have grabbed the cold weather gear and some cold iron arrows. I'll update the sheet once I can look up the prices later.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Once Sir Ilivan leads the group to the crest of the hill they see that an abandoned village lies at the foot of the hill on the banks of the West Sellen River, its decaying structures slowly melting back into the landscape. Between the hill and the village proper lie flooded fields sectioned off by raised, earthen walkways that converge on a larger, dry area. The flooded farmland looks to vary in depth from about 2 feet in the shallower parts to considerably deeper in spots.

A group of six Mendevian commoners can be seen assembled on the larger open dry patch in the middle of the fields. Two lie on the ground in obvious pain, while the rest stand in a circle, holding threshes, spades, pitchforks and other farming implements. A small heap of bodies—dead by all appearances—lies near them. A moment after the party starts to take in the scene, they see another villager seemingly rise from the dead, joining the others.

LINK TO MAP

NB: This is a large map so you may need to scroll around to see where the party lies in relation to the group of villagers. The PCs are towards the bottom left corner. The vilagers are towards the top right. The villager who has just risen from the dead is the one marked with a '1'.

Lighter blue water areas are the shallow spots and are difficult terrain. Darker blue areas are the deep spots and require successful swim checks to move through should you so wish.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"They demons we's kill?" Ozgg asks, failing miserably at being sneaky.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] |