The Nine Worlds
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
The Tower of Tharikthiril
Rad-Hack
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
Tales from the Loop
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Courts of Stone
No Rest for the Wicked
Mutant: Elysium Map of Elysium I
Dungeon Master's Screen: Of Ships and the Sea
Imperious Rex! Realms of the Deep
Th' Dinky Dungeons Tome of Knowledge
2CGazette (Issue 33 - Jul 2018)
2CGazette (Issue 36 - Sep 2018)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
804 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [33] | 

Mutants & Masterminds Third Edition» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: IC: Much Mayhem - A Mutants and Masterminds Montage by Mulligans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 2014 [+] PbF_Started_2014 [+] [View All]
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Two hours to go. Two more hours and another year will have passed in New Gate. It's unseasonably warm for this time of year, even this late at night the temp hovers around fifty.

Four men stand on the roof of the Paradise, New Gate's tallest and most extravagant mega-resort. They look down to the streets below. There's sure to be trouble tonight, maybe even more than normal and that's saying a lot. It's been a bad year for the city. Criminal gangs have all but taken over. Empty for the most part, these streets should be full of New Year's Eve revelers.

A few years ago these gangs were nothing more than street toughs protecting their turf. Somehow they got organized. Started using their muscle to squeeze the city of every drop they could get. Inevitably there was gang wars, four or five of the biggest gangs going at it in a bloody game of King of the Hill. In the end only two gangs survived.

Now if you're looking to get into a life of crime you have two choices in New Gates. The Bishops run everything east of the river, the rest belongs to the Poole Street Princes.

So yes. The streets are pretty empty, but that's no surprise to the four men who look down at them now. LaMont Cranston. Graham “Gray” Black. Lucas Faris. Dr. Francis Smythe. Outside of their own circles of friends, no one in the city knows, or could care less about these four men. Together though, they are well known, but not by those names. The people of New Gate city have taken to calling them The Keepers.

The Keepers have hauled in plenty of these gang members, dozens in the last month alone. Still, both gangs remain at large, their whereabouts unknown. Just today Mayor Wakefield gave another press conference on the problem. He tries to assure the citizens that the police are "making headway", but nobody believes that anymore. When questioned about federal intervention he claimed, "That would be only as a last resort".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
"Another year passes. Anyone else got a sense of anti-climax?" Lucas says to the other three.

Lucas is standing on the rooftop in a simple t-shirt (with the words 'We could be heroes!' on the front) and jeans affair with trainers completing the ensemble. Stuff that could be taken off quickly and easily or cheaply replaced otherwise. The mild weather didn't seem to bother him at all.

"I shouldn't be surprised, really. My boss always was a tight-wad when it came to holidays, so I really should have expected his little 'See you on the first day of the New Year, Lucas!' speech! Eight hours till I gotta work boys! Make the most of it!"

Lucas smiles and chuckles lightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yeah, I know what you mean. Same shit, different year," LaMont replies. His green eyes twinkle with sardonic amusement above his red scarf. Where Lucas seems a bit under-dressed for the weather, LaMont is positively overdressed for the unseasonably warm late December temperature with a long black trench coat, an old-fashioned wide-brimmed black hat, and a bright red scarf concealing the lower half of his face.

He stares down into the darkness for a while, his thoughts wandering. He thinks about the previous Phantom - his mentor and father figure. He thinks about the women he loved and lost. He thinks about all the common, decent people, just trying to get by in a city built to squeeze every last bit of joy and love from their lives. People like Moe Schrevnitz, busting his butt every day down there. And he thinks about the politicos and pundits that talk and talk and never do anything to make the lives of these people any better. "So it always has been. So it always will be," he mutters.

The final words from Lucas percolate through his reverie at last. "What? I can't believe that jerk asked you to work on New Year's Day. I'm sure he'll be home sleeping it off."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's like armour. But awesomer.
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
mb
"There's no way I'm going in to work tomorrow."

Dr. Smythe looks across the river over his glasses, scowling as he thought of the impact the Bishops were having in that area. The Eastern spire of his museum was just visible through the mist coming off the water. He pulled his tweed sport coat against him to guard against a slight breeze, then crossed his arms.

"So what's the plan of attack? Did anyone get any worthwhile information from their sources?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

ding

The sound of the elevator opening draws your looks. You've been given access to the rooftop and didn't expect there would be anyone else up here.

You all relax when you see two of the Paradise Girls exit the elevator. Located in the center of the wide roof, the elevator is on the other side of the olympic sized swimming pool behind you. The girls push a small metal cart along the poolside and arrive with matching smiles.

"Happy New Year, Doctor Smythe. Mr. Palmer thought you gentlemen might like to ring in the new year with some bubbly."

On the cart are four bottles of champagne on ice. The good stuff.

Bennett Palmer is the owner of Paradise, as well as a few other choice properties in New Gate. A self made man, Palmer is very involved in the community, especially the more cultural aspects. He knows Esmer only as Dr. Francis Smythe, and has made numerous donations to the museum where the good doctor "works". You're here upon his invite, which he extends every year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
mb
"Please send Mr. Palmer my thanks, and let him know I'm excited to show him the new exhibit - whenever he gets the time, of course."

Francis smiles pleasantly at the girls and grabs a glass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
"Normally I wouldn't, but what the heck. Just a little, though. Too much and I get a headache." LaMont takes one of the empty champagne flutes, pulls down his scarf and smiles. He enjoys watching the lovely women go through the ceremony of popping the corks and their laughter at the initial gush of champagne from the bottles.

In spite of the levity of the moment, he shares Dr. Smythe's concerns. Everyone east of the river was walking on eggshells these days. And up until now, his normally reliable contacts didn't have any fresh information for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

The girls are happy to spend some time helping to drink the champagne and making small talk. As midnight approaches they scurry back inside after planting some kisses on each of your cheeks.

"Happy New Years!" they shout in unision as they board the elevator, and then they're gone.

Moments later, at 11:59 to be exact, an alarm sounds from the street below. About a block away you can see the red flash of security lights from inside Mishiri Jewelers, a high end dealer of all things that sparkle and shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
Graham Black leans over the rail, observing the flashing lights with interest. In his black suit, white shirt, and narrow gray tie, he could almost be mistaken for a waiter at a high end restaurant. "Interesting timing. A coincidence? Or something else?"

Abruptly, he expands into a twelve-foot high figure, hovering over the roof. The cityscape can be seen dimly through his body. "You coming?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

For anyone who may be curious, the Paradise is thirty-three floors high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucas will take the glass but doesn't actually drink anything. Thete's no point really as he was never a big drinker but since the accident he just didn't get affected by alchohol. He'd win any contest and be incredibly bored in the progress.

When the sirens and lights start Lucas pulls his t-shirt off over his head, drops the shoes off his feet and the trousers too, leaving him standing in just the spandex lycra cycle shorts.

"Let's go boys!" He says to the others. He gathers the clothes up, pulls a small fabric bag from the pocket of the trousers and places the items in it. He ties this to a loop on his shorts then morphs into Solid State.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
mb
Brent Johnson wrote:

Abruptly, he expands into a twelve-foot high figure, hovering over the roof. The cityscape can be seen dimly through his body. "You coming?"

"It's not like I have anything else..." - he shifts to Emerald form - "...planned." he finishes, in the strange voice of Esmer.

Esmer steps off the edge of the building in Emerald form, and begins to fly as quickly as possible to the property in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roplesaurus wrote:
Brent Johnson wrote:

"It's not like I have anything else..." - he shifts to Emerald form - "...planned." he finishes, in the strange voice of Esmer.

Esmer steps off the edge of the building in Emerald form, and begins to fly as quickly as possible to the property in question.

Depending on how the others get there, it's likely you'll be first on the scene. As you approach the jewelers you see the lights of several flashlights moving this way and that inside the glass windowed front room of the store. The red security lights, as well as the alarm have stopped functioning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
"Gentlemen, I wish you all a happy new year. I guess we'll have to wait until later to sing Auld Lang Syne." LaMont casually tosses the champagne flute over his shoulder and pulls his scarf back up over his face. Before the glass can shatter on the rooftop, he has vanished and reappeared near the emergency stairwell by the elevators.

"Must be nice to fly and stuff. I'll meet you there in a few!" The Phantom yanks open the door to the emergency stairs and begins a series of Shadow Walks leading him to the bottom floor of The Paradise and down the block to Mishiri Jewelers.

Doing some math: City blocks are usually 0.1 mile or 528 feet. About 330 feet to the bottom of the Paradise. I can move 60' twice each round with Shadow Walk if I use my standard action to move in addition to my move action. I'll also have to stop to open a few doors to get out of the stairwell and out of the building. All told, roughly 8 turns or 48 seconds to get to Mishiri Jewelers, if it matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
Roplesaurus wrote:

Depending on how the others get there, it's likely you'll be first on the scene.

With 6 ranks in flight, it looks like Singularity can actually fly faster than Esmer. (I'm not sure what Esmer's "Sustained" Flight is.)

The giant human-shaped cloud that is Singularity keeps pace with Esmer. As they near the shop, Singularity "looks" inside, trying to determine how many of the masses inside are moving around.

The hope is that the number of moving masses is essentially equal to the number of potential opponents inside. I'm assuming here that mass does not block perception of the mass behind it, but that assumption may be entirely unwarranted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Solid State watches the others leave.

"Ah. Bugger."

Solid State changes back into Lucas but doesn't bother with putting clothes back on. Lucas walks over to the service elevator, enters and takes the slow route down which takes several minutes. He whistles a tuneless ditty as the numbers count down.

At the basement carpark Lucas walks over to his trike, jumps on and starts her up. As he hits the dark area at the bottom of the ramp he morphs and when he emerges into the baleful orange glow of the streetlamps it is Solid State driving.

It'll take a few minutes to get to the scene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Okay, so a lot of this falls under my GM discretion label. When it matters, we'll do the math, when it doesn't we won't.

Esmer and Singularity both arrive in front of the jewelers together. Singularity can sense about eight moving things inside the storefront. Esmer notices one of the flashlights go out. The man holding it is standing right by the front window of the place, probably on "lookout". He's basically gawking at the man crystal man floating in front of the store. You see him shout over his shoulder towards the others.

The Phantom knows his way through the Paradise pretty well and takes a few shortcuts. (He'll arrive in four rounds.)

Solid State also has an obstacle-free descent from the rooftop and is close behind. (He'll arrive in eight rounds.)

I'll have you all roll for Initiative now, on this post if possible please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 490678. Mulligans
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (17) + 1 =
  • robbers init.
  • Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:35 pm
  • [+]
  • 490685. Bifford
  • 1d20 + 2 =
  • (14) + 2 =
  • Solid initiative
  • Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:02 am
  • [+]
  • 490690. Roplesaurus
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (17) + 8 =
  • Esmer Initiative
  • Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:14 am
  • [+]
  • 490696. MonsterMike
  • d20+8 =
  • (1) + 8 =
  • Phantom Initiative
  • Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:15 am
  • [+]
  • 490708. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (11) + 4 =
  • Singularity Initiative
  • Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:56 am
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Esmer gets the jump on the robbers, what does he do?

Order
Esmer
robbers
Solid State (8 rds.)
Singularity
Phantom (4 rds.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
mb
Esmer will use a cosmic blast to shatter the window.

Cosmic Blast! 1d20+10 = (4) + 10 = 14

"Let's see what's going on in there."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 490716. Roplesaurus
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (4) + 10 =
  • Cosmic Blast!
  • Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:12 am
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

The window blows in, showering the man on the other side with fragments of glass. He drops to his knees, screaming in agony.

Suddenly all the flashlight beams inside are aimed towards Esmer!

Bullets fly from several automatic weapons, the sound is deafening!

I'll make a Team Check for this. See the OOC.

Six "Helpers"

DC20 1d20 + 1 = (11) + 1 = 12
DC20 1d20+1 = (19) + 1 = 20
DC20 1d20+1 = (19) + 1 = 20
DC20 1d20+1 = (4) + 1 = 5
DC20 1d20+1 = (11) + 1 = 12
DC20 1d20+1 = (11) + 1 = 12

Main Check

d20+/-??? vs. DC20 1d20 = (2) = 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 490746. Mulligans
  • 1d20 + 1 =
  • (11) + 1 =
  • DC20
  • Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:59 am
  • [+]
  • 490748. Mulligans
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (19) + 1 =
  • DC20
  • [+]
  • 490749. Mulligans
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (19) + 1 =
  • DC20
  • [+]
  • 490750. Mulligans
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (4) + 1 =
  • DC20
  • [+]
  • 490751. Mulligans
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (11) + 1 =
  • DC20
  • Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:00 am
  • [+]
  • 490752. Mulligans
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (11) + 1 =
  • DC20
  • Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:00 am
  • [+]
  • 490753. Mulligans
  • 1d20 =
  • (2) =
  • d20+/-??? vs. DC20
  • Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:01 am
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

A few bullets get close, but Esmer is unscathed!

Singularity, what ya got?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Singularity wavers. "Not much, I fear. I am unaccustomed to dealing with this many foes at once. Perhaps a delaying distraction?"

Still in his giant form, Singularity advances into the shop, trying to look as menacing as possible.

Intimidate 1d20+2 = (14) + 2 = 16

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 491056. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (14) + 2 =
  • Intimidate
  • Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:14 pm
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Singularity enters the shop to find a total of eight robbers inside. Now you notice that the flashlights are actually head lamps worn by the crooks.

Upon your entrance you hear one of them shout, "Shit, it's the big one." Will vs. Intimidate 16 1d20+1 = (8) + 1 = 9

A few of the men step back a bit, and a few others make like to head for for the back of the store...

(So, these guys are pretty much minions. you can make a single check against all of them. Two degrees of failure means they are all impaired until the end of your next turn; -2 to all their checks until then!)

Solid State and Phantom are on their way!

Esmer is next to act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 491246. Mulligans
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (8) + 1 =
  • Will vs. Intimidate 16
  • Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:01 am
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
mb
"As expected - rodent infestation."

Esmer raises a jewelled fist and blasts the nearest would-be robber. The flash of bright green light briefly and vividly illuminates the space.

1d20+12 = (2) + 12 = 14

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 491267. Roplesaurus
  • 1d20+12 =
  • (2) + 12 =
  • Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:44 am
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Esmer blasts one of the robbers...

vs. DC20 1d20+2 = (8) + 2 = 10

and sends him sprawling across the floor! (staggered)

The robbers are pretty much freaking out. They all head for the doorway that leads into the back of the shop, presumably to another exit that isn't blocked by any Keepers! The ones that got hit by the shattering glass and Esmer's blast won't make it out of this room, but the others flee through the doorway.

Suddenly, from the same doorway steps another robber, and this ones got a blaster rifle!

"C'mon ladies", he chides the others, "the Princes don't run from nobody!"

He levels the rifle at 1custom2{Esmer;Singularity} -> ( Esmer) -> ( Esmer) and fires!

pa-kew! 1d20+1 = (9) + 1 = 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 491268. Mulligans
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (8) + 2 =
  • vs. DC20
  • Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:50 am
  • [+]
  • 491269. Mulligans
  • 1custom2{Esmer;Singularity} =
  • ( Esmer) =
  • ( Esmer)
  • at
  • Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:57 am
  • [+]
  • 491270. Mulligans
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (9) + 1 =
  • pa-kew!
  • Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:58 am
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [33] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.