Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
explanation does not equal excuse
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seeing if there's enough interest for me to manage a four person session of Kingdom (myself plus three more participants). We would decide on the Kingdom frame ahead of time (from those presented in the book). If enough people want to try it out, we might do more than one session.

You can check out the Doodle link for possible scheduling here.

G+ Thread here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When are you thinking of doing this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to check my schedule, then my camera, then see if I can get my kid to cooperate....

I'll let you know soon. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Panda Empress, First of Her Name
mbmb
I would love to game with you again, but I want to check with you before I write myself in... Are you looking for experienced players, or are complete n00bs okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IvoryThorns wrote:
I would love to game with you again, but I want to check with you before I write myself in... Are you looking for experienced players, or are complete n00bs okay?

n00bs! Especially since I've only played it once f2f. Experienced folks welcome as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've listed Thurs. Feb 6th, Friday Feb 7th, and Sat. Feb 8th as possible dates. If you check out the Doodle link above, you can see my possible times for those dates. If you're interested you can mark your availability on the poll at the link. I expect a session will run somewhere between 3 and 4 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
edige23 wrote:

n00bs! Especially since I've only played it once f2f. Experienced folks welcome as well...

Oh, good! Then I won't feel so awkward!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those dates are bad for me. Military duty that weekend. Hope you folks enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven desJardins

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
I can probably make it Thursday or Friday afternoon, but there's a chance I'll have jury duty. Unfortunately I won't know for sure if I'm free until the day before (although I may know earlier that I'm not). Feel free to bump me for someone who can guarantee they'll be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally interested, but can't make it on that weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're pretty close in a couple of the slots. My plan is to leave the poll and recruitment open until early next week. If we get time locked in with a confirmed fourth I'll give a heads up. And if we get two times, then we can do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai S.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Drama Llama Roleplaying Society
mbmbmbmbmb
fastfox wrote:
Generally interested, but can't make it on that weekend.

Same here, interested but that weekend doesn't work for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, it looks like we have at least one slot confirmed. Saturday the 8th at 1PM (EST) (7PM UTC) with myself,
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb

DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
mbmbmbmbmb

(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb

I'll leave the poll up for a bit longer. Steven indicated he wouldn't be certain about the Thursday 1PM (7PM UTC) until that week. Right now Jules and Jan have indicated availability for that slot; we'll play that by ear unless we get another confirmed player. I'll also leave the poll up in case anyone's schedule shifts and they can't make it.

For Sam, Andrea, and Schizoid, we'll want to pick one of the Kingdom Seeds from the book. Each of these is fairly open, with a shopping list of choices and room to add your own take on it. Here are the ones they list:

Real World
Daily Sentinel: A newspaper that’s a bastion of old school journalism. Can it survive in an age of digital media and sound-bite reporting?
Grottos & Griffons: The grandfather of all role-playing games. What’s next for G&G? Edition Wars and retro-clones! Corporate takeovers and open gaming licenses!
Kid’s Television Workshop: A small studio devoted to making positive children’s programming. With muppets!
Kuligar Wildlife Refuge: A sanctuary in the African veldt protecting endangered species from poachers and encroaching development.
Sawyer Memorial Hospital: Dedicated doctors trying to make a difference and still make enough money to keep the doors open.

Historical Period
Banana Republic: A Central American nation in the 1950s, exploited by foreign investors and its own corrupt government. Viva la Revolution!
Bandits in the Sheriff’s Wood: Robbing from the rich and (maybe) giving to the poor. Longbows and Lincoln green.
Cactus Flats: A frontier town in the Old West. Rustlers and ranchers. Settlers and outlaws.
HMS Rubicon: A British frigate flying His Majesty’s colours halfway around the world in the age of cannon and sail.
Lost Legion: Countless leagues from Rome, a single Legion faces a long march home through a sea of foes.

Sci Fi
Battleship Orion: A rag-tag fugitive fleet seeking a new home for the last remnant of humanity.
Lost in Luxury Space: Disaster has left a cruise ship adrift among the stars. Will the passengers lift a hand to help or just keep slurping down tropical drinks and playing shuffleboard?
Mech-Police: Cops fighting crime with giant robots.
Partisans of Rigel IV: Alien invaders have taken over the colony, but the resistance refuses to yield the world they made their home.
Starfall: Weapon-smith to the galaxy, their creations have no equal in known space. The new calculus of war is simple: the side that Starfall arms, wins.

Fantasy
Banner of the Black Serpent: Mercenary knights fighting for gold or glory.
Dwarf Mountain: The dragon drove them out, but now the dwarves have returned to rebuild the realm of their forefathers.
Eshbal, the Door of Hardship: Wealthy and cultured border city that guards the Empire from foreign “barbarians”.
Eye of Osiris: Idle rich dabbling in séances and mysticism in the cosmopolitan 1920s.
Hammer of the Gods: Deities and demi-gods toy with the fate of mortal heroes.
Santa’s Workshop: Santa’s on vacation and the elves are in charge. Can they carry on Xmas without him?
Winterhook’s School for Wayward Wizards: Is it a hidden sanctum to protect the gifted from the dangers of the world or a prison to protect the world from them?

If any of you there have a preference for genre or see a few you like, feel free to say so. We can go for discussion consensus or a poll; what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 493839. edige23
  • 1d4 + 1d4 =
  • (2) + (2) =
  • Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:58 pm
  • [+]
  • 493840. edige23
  • 1d4 =
  • (2) =
  • Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:00 pm
  • [+]
  • 493841. edige23
  • 1d4 =
  • (2) =
  • [+]
  • 493842. edige23
  • 1d4 =
  • (4) =
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangit! It turns out that I will be traveling on Saturday, 2/8 cry

[Edit to say... sorry, I just found out last night]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
lorddillon wrote:

Sad... We'll miss you! D:

This may just be a bad weekend for it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bay Chang
United States
Hillsborough
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interested & doodled. I have the book but haven't had time to read it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:

There are advantages and disadvantages to recruiting ahead of time. No problem. I will leave the poll open for the Saturday 1PM slot and we'll still run it. I have a fourth, auzumel aka my wife, who will take the fourth seat if we don't get someone else.

So that's go barring other schedule changes. We'll figure out the Kingdom seed- if anyone has preferences go ahead and say so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baychang wrote:

OK, then it also looks like we'll have enough for the Thursday Feb 6 1PM EST (7PM UTC) session with Juleske, Jan Van Zon, and Bay Chang. Of course that's barring any schedule changes. Steven, if things work out that you can play, I'm sure we can manage a fifth.

If any of you have preferences about Kingdom seeds, please say so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
edige23 wrote:

There are advantages and disadvantages to recruiting ahead of time. No problem. I will leave the poll open for the Saturday 1PM slot and we'll still run it. I have a fourth, auzumel aka my wife, who will take the fourth seat if we don't get someone else.

So that's go barring other schedule changes. We'll figure out the Kingdom seed- if anyone has preferences go ahead and say so.

Okies!

I really have no preferences... Most of those sound pretty great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
IvoryThorns wrote:
edige23 wrote:

Okies!

I really have no preferences... Most of those sound pretty great!

What are the possibilities of humorous vs serious feel? E.g., should the "Banana Republic" seed be a comedy of incompetent but ambitious people trying to kill each other, or a horror story of struggle to survive in a corrupt society?
Obviously, I have no idea how Kingdom plays and when thinking about a seed the first thing that comes to mind is a Fiasco playset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good question. Tone can be decided by the group; some of the seeds have that as an element to pick from the seed list. For example the "Lost in Luxury Space" offers this customization question: "The tone we want for our game is [dry satire | whacky comedy | kind of ††serious. No really, kind of serious!].

It is a little like Fiasco in that you have characters and play them out through the events happening to the community. But the players are more about preservation, construction, and survival of the community. Characters can't die in play, though they can have their roles, positions, and situations shifted. For example a character who acts as an authority figure (i.e. Power in the game's terms) might be overthrown in play. They might then serve as a contrary voice predicting problems (i.e. Perspective).

After playing Sherri described it as much more building and constructive than Fiasco. Fiasco pushes towards an inevitable explosion and crash- and that's some of the built in fun. Kingdom can have that- but it isn't programmed into the DNA of it. All which which is again to say tone can be more farcical or more serious as the players pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Van Zon
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edige23 wrote:
baychang wrote:

OK, then it also looks like we'll have enough for the Thursday Feb 6 1PM EST (7PM UTC) session with Juleske, Jan Van Zon, and Bay Chang. Of course that's barring any schedule changes. Steven, if things work out that you can play, I'm sure we can manage a fifth.

Whoop!
As for the seeds I have no real preference. Hammer of the Gods sounds cool, but then, they all do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
Conlaen wrote:
edige23 wrote:
baychang wrote:

Whoop!
As for the seeds I have no real preference. Hammer of the Gods sounds cool, but then, they all do

I have no real seed preference, but I prefer slightly serious over farcical. We've played some Microscope games that started strong, and ended up very silly. I always thought that was a shame of so much story potential!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bay Chang
United States
Hillsborough
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edige23 wrote:
OK, then it also looks like we'll have enough for the Thursday Feb 6 1PM EST (7PM UTC) session with Juleske, Jan Van Zon, and Bay Chang.

Awesome... excited to try this out with you guys.

Juleske wrote:
I have no real seed preference, but I prefer slightly serious over farcical.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, tomorrow I'll roll randomly for each session to see which of the four genres we will play, and then I'll set up a poll for everyone to express preferences. That will narrow things down a little but still give everyone a voice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 493843. edige23
  • 1d4 =
  • (1) =
  • Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:01 pm
  • [+]
  • 493844. edige23
  • 1d4 =