Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
476 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 5-14: Day of the Demon» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [IC]n2f's Day of Demon Table1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a Pathfinder Society game, using the scenario, "Day of the Demon".

The Players:
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebis
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Browsers, curious onlookers and lurkers please check out our guild here if you're interested in some honest to goodness Pathfinder Society action. Thumb this thread if you love RPG!


OOC thread here!

PC List here!

Initiative
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Venture Captain Ambrus Valsin

In the halls of Skyreach, Venture-Captain Ambrus Valsin’s familiar voice gathers the attention of the assembled Pathfinders. “Pathfinders, please may I introduce to you Hamaria Blakros, who some of you may have met previously. Madame Blakros is the head of the powerful Blakros family, valuable allies of the Pathfinder Society. She will brief you on your next mission.”

The regally dressed noblewoman looks over the assembled party, her piercing eyes seeming to notice every detail, then speaks. “Greetings, Pathfinders. Recently, my daughter Michellia married the Hellknight Damian Kastner, and as is customary when one marries into the Blakros family, he provided a dowry in exchange for being honoured with our illustrious name. Damian’s gift took the form of his ancestral home, an estate called Ostergarde in north-central Cheliax.

“Ostergarde has sat empty for some time, deserted by the Kastners after the Thrune regime came to control Cheliax and the family moved to the new capital of Egorian. I am a cautious woman, and I’d prefer to have a third party explore the manor before I or any of my family take up residence there.”
Hamaria snaps her fingers and servants bring several tomes to her side.

“These books all make some mention of Ostergarde or the Kastners, and may contain useful information. While the Chelish government take great care in rewriting history to suit its current politics, these tomes have been in our family since before the rise of House Thrune, so I am confident their contents have not been altered. Consider them a donation to the Pathfinders’ great library-a down payment for the deal I brokered with your venture captain. I suppose he can fill you in on the details from here. It was a pleasure to meet you.” Without further ado, Hamaria takes her leave.

Valsin then claims the room’s attention again. “Pathfinders, you are to journey to Ostergarde and rid its halls of any squatting denizens, traps, or forgotten devils. In return, you are free to plunder its contents,. Hopefully, everything you need to know about Ostergarde can be found within these books. I do not need to remind you how important it is to maintain our good relationship with the Blakros family, so don’t screw things up. Stick to the mission, and don’t wreck the place.” Softening his stance, Valsin finally adds, “Be careful, Ostergarde is not a kind place,” before hurrying away to attend to the next crisis.

Knowledge (History, Local or Nobility)
Please indicate if you are referring to Hamaria's books
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The armor-clad, red-haired woman standing near the door steps aside to allow Hamaria passage. "Do not worry, your troubles will be soon over," she assures the noblewoman.

At Valsin's remarks, Linarra raises her eyebrows. "Exactly what can we expect then, you mentioned devils? Are there any reasons why we suspect this place is so dangerous?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vespran heads immediately to the stack of books and begins flipping through them. After a few minutes of this, he looks up at the corner of the ceiling and frowns. "Kastner...Kastner..." he murmurs. Then he sends up a brief prayer for Guidance as he tries to bring relevant knowledge to mind.

Take 10 with Knowledge (History) +9, +1 for Guidance (total 20)

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearpaw wrote:
The armor-clad, red-haired woman standing near the door steps aside to allow Hamaria passage. "Do not worry, your troubles will be soon over," she assures the noblewoman.

At Valsin's remarks, Linarra raises her eyebrows. "Exactly what can we expect then, you mentioned devils? Are there any reasons why we suspect this place is so dangerous?"

Linarra finds herself addressing her companions- Valsin has already left the room in a hurry...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brent Johnson wrote:
Vespran heads immediately to the stack of books and begins flipping through them. After a few minutes of this, he looks up at the corner of the ceiling and frowns. "Kastner...Kastner..." he murmurs. Then he sends up a brief prayer for Guidance as he tries to bring relevant knowledge to mind.

Take 10 with Knowledge (History) +9, +1 for Guidance (total 20)

Vespran discovers passages in the books that may be useful:

It was an open secret that when occupied, Ostergarde was a nexus for devil worship, and because of its reputation, most travellers leave the abandoned manor alone even though it sits near a highly travelled mountain pass between Kintargo and the rest of Cheliax.

Before Queen Abrogail I of House Thrune ventured into the Barrowood, she visited Ostergarde to bolster her knowledge on infernal contracts. It is believed that she used this knowledge in her infamous infernal bargain within Barrowood, which led to her house’s victory in the Chelish Civil War.

A sprawling dungeon complex exists under the manor, accessible only through secret entrances. A gateway to Hell is believed to rest somewhere beneath Ostergarde’s abandoned halls.

Hamaria's books offer a +5 circumstantial bonus, factored into the above disclosures. This roll itself will have a significant influence on the mission, so I encourage everyone to Aid Another if they have the relevant knowledges!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A handsome man dressed as a Chelish nobleman stands up from where he was seated at the back of the room and strides over to the table where Vesperan is searching through the tomes. He glances at Linarra curiously for a moment, sure that he has seen her somewhere before. Turning back to the books, his bright shock of long red hair falls down around his face as he leans down to peruse a volume that the bookish young man has not flipped through yet.

aid another (untrained, max. 10) Knowledge (history): 1d20+2 = (4) + 2 = 6
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 488722. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (4) + 2 =
  • 6
  • Knowledge (history):
  • Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:08 am
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
A handsome man dressed as a Chelish nobleman stands up from where he was seated at the back of the room and strides over to the table where Vesperan is searching through the tomes. He glances at Linarra curiously for a moment, sure that he has seen her somewhere before. Turning back to the books, his bright shock of long red hair falls down around his face as he leans down to peruse a volume that the bookish young man has not flipped through yet.

aid another (untrained, max. 10) anoirtrou previously rolled 1d20+2 = (4) + 2 = 6 (Knowledge (history): )
The musty smell and the dust overcomes the handsome man and he unleashes a mighty sneeze! Vespran looks up in irritation, concentration shattered. Morvias decides to beat a hasty retreat, surmising that dangerous things like books should be left to the professionals to handle...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nebis
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Philabraxis grasps the pommel of his longsword with one hand as he carefully flips the pages of the books with the other.

Knowledge (history) with guidance 1d20+10 = (1) + 10 = 11

He points out some passages that Vespran may have missed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 488921. NebisTS
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (1) + 10 =
  • 11
  • Knowledge (history) with guidance
  • Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:44 pm
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Linarra sighs as she massage her temples with her thumb and middlefinger. Truly, the incompetence of some of our 'superiors' baffles me.

She inspects the others critically as they pore over the books. When she notices Morvias glancing at here, she peers at him, and says, "Ah yes, the spellslinger, from in Varisia. I'm glad to see you managed to get some different assignments than in that backwater country. At least they're sending us into civilization this time."

The only Knowledge skills Linarra has so far is engineering, dungeoneering, and planes.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aid another Knowledge (history): 1d20+1 = (2) + 1 = 3
Herp derp
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 489165. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (2) + 1 =
  • 3
  • Aid another Knowledge (history):
  • Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:08 pm
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Philabraxis brings an important passage to Vespran's attention while Linarra succeeds in knocking over a pile of books...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The mighty samurai rises from his chair. Hayato is not the best with books, but he figures that his assistance might be of use.

Aid another 1d20 = (8) = 8
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 489275. bulldog93
  • 1d20 =
  • (8) =
  • 8
  • Aid another
  • Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:26 pm
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if Daniel's PC is able to succeed in Aid Another, the increase in score is not high enough to result in additional disclosures. If his PC is able to hit DC 30, I'll retcon the disclosure.

I'll push on with the plot as almost everyone is done here.


Ostergarde Manor

As the PC approaches Ostergarde in the north-central Cheliax, they are barraged by a raging storm that follows them through the countryside for days. Luckily, the manor itself provides a good source of shelter. Other than Ostergarde, however, the area is desolate and consists of sharp hills , craggy terrain, and barren trees...

Lightning slashes through the overcast sky, highlighting a darkened manor that stands defiantly upon a jagged bluff. A torrent of rain floods the trail, and thunderous cracks accompany each electrified stroke. In the distance, the trail ends abruptly at the front door of the lonely manor house- the only shelter in sight.

{1) Perception check!
(2) Know Planes check! (May use Survival to Aid Another in this special case)

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nebis
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perception 1d20+6 = (17) + 6 = 23
Knowledge (planes) 1d20+9 = (8) + 9 = 17*
* - +1 vs demons
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 489358. NebisTS
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (17) + 6 =
  • 23
  • Perception
  • Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:02 am
  • [+]
  • 489359. NebisTS
  • 1d20+9 =
  • (8) + 9 =
  • 17
  • Knowledge (planes)
  • Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:03 am
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Morvias hurries to the porch of the estate to get out of the rain. Cold, wet and miserable, he has been quite grumpy the entire journey. Once he reaches shelter, he closes his eyes and runs his hands along his body while making wringing motions.

At first a trickle, then a steady stream of water starts flowing down until he is surrounded by a small moat, leaving him completely dry. Smoothing his sensible, yet somehow still stylish travelling clothes and tucking back some wayward strands of hair, he takes a good look around while trying to recall some bit of information that that old fool Timoth might have spouted in his continual ramblings that might pertain to this situation.

Perception: 1d20+3 = (20) + 3 = 23
Know (planes)-aid another: 1d20+2 = (8) + 2 = 10
Disguise: 1d20+8 = (4) + 8 = 12 (to see how human he has made himself look)

Edit - stupid auto correct...

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 489407. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (20) + 3 =
  • 23
  • Perception:
  • Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:54 am
  • [+]
  • 489409. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (8) + 2 =
  • 10
  • Know (planes)-aid another:
  • Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:55 am
  • [+]
  • 489410. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (4) + 8 =
  • 12
  • Disguise:
  • Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:58 am
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Such a lovely place, I wonder how anyone could think there would be something sinister going on inside," Linarra says sarcastically.

Perception: 1d20+2 = (6) + 2 = 8
Knowledge (planes): 1d20+3 = (16) + 3 = 19
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 489412. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (6) + 2 =
  • 8
  • Perception:
  • Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:12 am
  • [+]
  • 489413. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (16) + 3 =
  • 19
  • Knowledge (planes):
  • Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:12 am
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebis spots the tracks of several large felines next to a smashed wagon in pieces outside the modest stable. The feline tracks are intermixed with stranger tracks that resemble elongated thin humanoid footprints. With Morvias' assistance, Nebis identifies the feline tracks as howler tracks but is unable to identify the humanoid tracks.

The humanoid tracks lead to the manor proper but the feline tracks lead to the stable by way of the shattered wagon- its surfce marred by rents from the howler's savage claws.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearpaw wrote:
"Such a lovely place, I wonder how anyone could think there would be something sinister going on inside," Linarra says sarcastically.

Bearpaw previously rolled 1d20+2 = (6) + 2 = 8 (Perception
Bearpaw previously rolled 1d20+3 = (16) + 3 = 19 (Knowledge (planes)

Is the Know Planes roll an Aid Another? Or a fresh attempt?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vespran stoops to examine the tracks.

Perception 1d20+7 = (10) + 7 = 17
Guidance-enhanced Knowledge (Planes) 1d20+10 = (8) + 10 = 18 (fresh attempt; add +3 if Monster Lore applies)

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 489652. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (10) + 7 =
  • 17
  • Perception
  • Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:23 pm
  • [+]
  • 489654. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (8) + 10 =
  • 18
  • [i]Guidance[/i]-enhanced Knowledge (Planes)
  • Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:24 pm
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brent Johnson wrote:
Vespran stoops to examine the tracks.

Brent Johnson previously rolled 1d20+7 = (10) + 7 = 17 (Perception)
Brent Johnson previously rolled 1d20+10 = (8) + 10 = 18 (Guidance-enhanced Knowledge (Planes)) (fresh attempt; add +3 if Monster Lore applies)


Vespran identifies the humanoid tracks as babaus!

In the meantime, the stables and the manor beckons to the party as the chill winds rise and the rain beats down...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
not2fear wrote:
Is the Know Planes roll an Aid Another? Or a fresh attempt?

Both were meant as aid anothers.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearpaw wrote:
not2fear wrote:
Is the Know Planes roll an Aid Another? Or a fresh attempt?

Both were meant as aid anothers.

Linarra recalls that babaus are resistant to weapons save those made of cold iron or which are inherently good. Howlers have a grating baying that can drive listeners insane...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, well, well!" says Vespran. "We came expecting to deal with devils, and here we have demons instead! Tough, sneaky ones!"

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"We best be wary. In my experience, demons are far more dangerous and unpredictable than devils. Shall we head inside, or check the stables first?" Linarra asks, and she hefts a gauntleted hand to bang on the door, although she doesn't expect anyone will answer.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] |