United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Let's get started!

I'm planning on using material from Vast & Starlit, Bodies in the Dark, and Renegade's Technical Manual primarily.

It seems to me first things first, we should make crew. One character each. According to the rules, we each make "a prisoner turned crew member". Then, each player must answer 5 questions about their character. The 5 questions must include at least one of the following;

1) What are you willing to do to be captain?
2) How would we be better off if you led?
3) What do we lose by not listening to you?

(Personally, I'm surprised this game doesn't start with more consensus building, like naming a style or "must haves" and "must not haves" lists... for the record, I'm mostly thinking a general, straightforward scifi experience - nothing too out there or unique, at least not at first. Think "stuff you've seen in TV shows" maybe. If you want to set off in a certain direction, say so though!)

So. Not in the rules. But for the sake of getting the ball rolling, let's try this. Post a one or two sentence description of your character concept in this thread. Include a name at least. When that's done, anyone can ask you a question. Try not to ask the same person two questions in a row, just so we mix it up a bit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

Szadek is a member of an uplifted reptilian species known as the Sphenodon. He was a petty smuggler, mostly in biosynthetic or genetic contraband, before his arrest for unlicensed trade... and "acquisition".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Szadek - which biosynthetic graft do you carry on your own body?

Morakhan is a former warlord of the baseline human K'Ro people from some marginal borderlands planet. How the mighty have fallen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Againsto wrote:
Szadek - which biosynthetic graft do you carry on your own body?

Szadek has two main augmentations, one useful, the other cosmetic. The former is a significantly upgraded sense of hearing; most Sphenodons have generally poor hearing, but Szadek's is far above baseline humans, consisting of a modest form of echolocation.

Szadek's other customization is a glossy black and yellow pattern to his scales. This striped appearance is modeled after a poisonous snake - an affectation to make him seem dangerous and exotic.

Morakhan - What is your personal favorite weapon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! A pattern not for camouflage but for intimidation! I heartily approve.

My friends have often said that my most dangerous weapon is my tongue, inciting ambition as well as hatred and stirring the loins of even the most lily-livered nerf rassul herder; my enemies have learned that with a well-balanced chained trident in my hands, there is safety neither in distance nor in number.

Over my ill-fated and hardly consensual travels through the space ways, I have learned how to construct improvised and yet effective tridents from a variety of materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
(Personally, I'm surprised this game doesn't start with more consensus building, like naming a style or "must haves" and "must not haves"

I think when attempting to fit a game onto a card this is an ok thing to put on the chopping block. I'd think under normal circumstances this facet would be similar to a Fiasco (which I haven't played) in that the first session is probably pretty zany until the various players figure each other out.

In our case though since we're all strangers it's a good idea to set expectations. I'm also interested in "normal" sci-fi at least for now.

Casandora's background as a sex slave didn't stop her from rising in the ranks later in life to become a PsiCorps handler. The Meloplin people look remarkably similar to baseline humans except for the tail.

Szadek - why were you imprisoned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
USP45 wrote:
Szadek - why were you imprisoned?

Trade in genetic material is strictly regulated in the galaxy. The histories tell us that in the past, when intelligent life carried organisms from one region to another, the invasive species would cause catastrophic harm to environments. On an interplanetary scale, this problem expands by an order of magnitude. A harmless eater of vermin on one world becomes the apex predator of another, ravaging the ecology... a useful weapon? A bitter revenge? There's people who pay for such things. To say nothing of securing the best gene stock for medical or recreational use - regardless of whether or not such "gene stock" wants to be harvested.

Szadek is just providing a useful service. Something people want and will get. Why shouldn't he profit instead of others? The PsiCorps thinks they own the galaxy, but they don't own and control Szadek.

Q: What did Casandora do to alienate the PsiCorps that lead to her imprisonment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thithraxi Vox is a corpulent hulk, a self-styled explorer and, before his arrest, was captain of the racing clipper Little Rascal, which still holds at least one solar sail speed record. The Thithraxi are functionally humanoid, though their tough, saggy blue skin resembles nothing so much as melted candle wax.

Morakhan what do you miss most about your former life?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thithraxi, who took the Little Rascal away from you? How did they re-christen it?

Morakhan:
"I miss the deep familiarity of the tribal life, I miss listening to the advice of the sages and elders, I miss the late-night councils, the war feasts, consorting with my age-mates and hunting friends. This is what I miss most, and the companionship found on the spaceways might be enjoyable and distracting, but it is immeasurably superficial."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Q: What did Casandora do to alienate the PsiCorps that lead to her imprisonment?

Years ago, Casandora's obsession with the burgeoning field of bioroid research brought unwanted attention from her PsiCorps superiors. When the Bioroid Apostasy of '44 redlined, the flag on her file flew high and Casandora found herself marking days/weeks/months at V-917x after a brief respite with the K'Ro instigators.

@Morakhan - What do we lose by not listening to you? [Is it ok to ask one of the canned questions now?]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
USP45 wrote:
[Is it ok to ask one of the canned questions now?]

Definitely. There's nothing in the rules about when or who asks.

I've suggested only one guideline; don't ask the same person two questions in a row. That's just a guideline, though. To try to mix it up a bit. If you want to ask a bunch, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Againsto wrote:
Thithraxi, who took the Little Rascal away from you? How did they re-christen it?

PsiCorps took her, bought her in a repo-auction when I was sentenced, gutted her and turned her into a floating platform for sucking up to VIP clients. Come see the quaint, the old, the gorgeous, now with considerably more champagne. The ship that once broke the Dominar-Cascade speed record stuck in one place, and I am made small without her.

Szadek - What are you willing to do to be Captain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
thecameronin wrote:
Szadek - What are you willing to do to be Captain?

Szadek doesn't require the position of leader. He's a trader, a negotiator. He likes to be listened to, likes to see plans that work and backs successful people and their ventures... but lack of success means he'll want to take control. Just profit. No profit? New leadership. No leaders? Szadek will lead.

So. You have a good plan for profits? Szadek is listening. And watching. With cold lizard eyes. Expecting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Summary

As of this posting;

Szadek (been asked 4, answered 4, answered required? Yes)
Morakhan (been asked 3, answered 1, answered required? No)
Casandora (been asked 1, answered 1, answered required? No)
Thithraxi Vox (been asked 1, answered 1, answered required? No)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Thithraxi: How would we be better off if you led?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered 2! And here comes the third!

Quote:
@Morakhan - What do we lose by not listening to you?

You lose the poetry of my words, mostly, and my powers of motivation.
I cannot claim to fully understand this world between the worlds, my knowledge is too uneven to claim that my advice is always sound. But I usually know what people need to hear, and if you don't listen to me, you might hear too many unhelpful truths and not enough helpful admonitions.

Casandora: What secret about your tail have you not told us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cosine wrote:
Thithraxi: How would we be better off if you led?

I got to tell you why you're not paying attention. I've done this before, and done it well. If that's enough for you, all well and good. If not, well, I'm a patient man. My time will come.

Cassandra What are you willing to do to be captain?

Will ask Cassandra another to catch her up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey folks - I'm back in town, need a day to catch up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
Casandora: What secret about your tail have you not told us?

Although the Meloplin people aren't necessarily secretive by nature, their relatively late entry into the Galactic Conglomerate/Consortium/Gang (in Casandora's neck of the universe it is disparagingly dubbed Galactic Plunderbund) caused many myths about the race's tail to sprout. The latest holo-vids racing across the Mesh featured Meloplin females primarily using their tales to choke their victims to death (or to ecstasy depending on the vid).

The reality is strangely a little less mundane. A small proportion of the Meloplin population (both male and female) when excited to high levels of fear response exhibit an eruption of a poisonous stinger from the tail.

(This is why it's not a good idea to chase tail when a Meloplin is concerned.) groan

Some have theorized that the mutation is actually from an injection of a nanocolony to stir a dormant evolutionary trait.

@Thithraxi - what happened to your previous crew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
thecameronin wrote:
Cassandra What are you willing to do to be captain?

Casandora would only ever move away from her mantra of staying under the radar if the need arose. As a slave on a Meloplin colony she quickly learned how alluring the power behind the scenes can be.

That said, if incompetency reared its head, Casandora would not hesitate to put the sting to the neck of the current leader, probably in the guise of helping another to the command.

@Thithraxi - Do you love or hate PsiCorps? Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
USP45 wrote:
@Thithraxi - what happened to your previous crew?

They united a flotilla of smuggler's ships and came to rescue me, guns blazing, frothing in their rage all the while! No? Maybe a little too much of a tall tale. Truth is I don't know and that rankles. You live with a crew for years it becomes like a relationship. You don't so much accept the flaws you see in front of you as learn to forgive. So. Yeah. No idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
USP45 wrote:
@Thithraxi - Do you love or hate PsiCorps? Why?

Hard to love someone that takes away the only thing that matters to a man. Harder to hate when that someone is a company of millions of someones. But I still try. I owe her that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morakhan - How would we be better off if you led?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I led? If I led again? Understand this: among my people, one can only become a warlord by acclamation. Normally, every man has his own domain, and nobody can force him to do anything he does not want to. If you want me to lead, I will, for as long as you will follow me. I will lead you to glory, I will lead you to plunder, I will lead you to renown, I will very likely lead you to an early grave - and we will no longer sulk and slink through space like a phasered kredgrom.

With me leading, you all would be more proud, more confident, and less beset by doubt and worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone know the count? I *think* it's:

Szadek x3, Morakhan x4, Casandora x3, Thithraxi x4
(Unless we're counting the character concept as 1.)

@Szadek: What do you have in your pockets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.