The Nine Worlds
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
The Tower of Tharikthiril
Rad-Hack
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
Tales from the Loop
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Courts of Stone
No Rest for the Wicked
Mutant: Elysium Map of Elysium I
Dungeon Master's Screen: Of Ships and the Sea
Imperious Rex! Realms of the Deep
Th' Dinky Dungeons Tome of Knowledge
2CGazette (Issue 33 - Jul 2018)
2CGazette (Issue 36 - Sep 2018)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
134 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Ghostories» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [OOC] Coming Home - Character Generation, General rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so first of all, thanks for joining up. I know I've been very light on details - that's because I'm hoping for a bit of collaboration with you all to get things off the ground. But, here's the basic profile to start:

The game will revolve around a player (or two) coming home to a small town to settle the affairs of someone they were close to (parent, most likely) because there was no one left to do so. The other players will be folks from around town.

So, that's where we stand right now.

First up - we will need to define who's the person(s) coming home - then start building characters.

Any questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmb
Sounds fun! I volunteer for town-folk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'll be an out of towner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Panda Empress, First of Her Name
mbmb
I am ambivalent! I'll play either -- just put me where I'm needed most!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind coming home to bury the old f@&#e;r.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to be a local.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My character concept: my parents died when I was young and I was brought up by my Grandfather. He had an old crumbling house on the edge of town and I used it as my playground, inventing imaginary friends to amuse myself. My Grandfather was a solitary man, and spent most of his time in his library, so, although I was fed and clothed, I was largely left to bring myself up.

I had problems with authority at school and was often in trouble, graduating to vandalism and stealing cars. My Grandfather never criticised me, just paying fines or damages as required, but by sixteen I'd outgrown the small town and left for the city.

My Grandfather saw me off with a small wad of cash and a wave. "Be careful out there" was all he had to say.

In the city, I hustled anyway I could for money, eventually becoming a minor member of one of the Mafia crime families that ran the place. That was fifteen years ago.

Now I've heard the old man has died and, although I haven't thought about him for years, I somehow feel I should go back to put things to rest. And after all, as his only living relative, perhaps there's something in it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like this town. That's why I haven't left. Sure there are better jobs in the big city, and actually I got one. But because I'm pretty skilled with computers they let me work remotely. I make the hike into HQ about once a year, and that's about all I can take before the trip becomes less exciting and more mundane.

It's about that time of year and I'll be packing for the week long trip, except my elderly neighbor just bought the farm. Maybe I can use the funeral to stick around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I assume I'm a local, as you only wanted 1-2 players for out-of-towners!

Sure, as a teenager I wanted to get out of this one-horse town. I ran a bit wild and stirred up a little trouble, but it was your usual teenager-acting-out stuff -- stupid, but harmless. Dad had his heart attack my senior year, and I put off going to college to help my Mom run the bar and look after my kid brother. And then I put it off another year. And another. At some point, I guess I just stopped looking for a life elsewhere and started building my life here. It's not the glamorous life I had always hoped for, but I know more about the town than anyone. Take that poor old man who just died, for instance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok folks - I appreciate the enthusiasm about getting character concepts together, but hold up a little bit. Since Chad has also indicated he'd like to be an out of towner, I'd like for the 'returnees' to be related.

Also, I don't want to see troubled loners, please.

I should also point out now that combat will not be a focus in the game, so please don't expect that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
Ok folks - I appreciate the enthusiasm about getting character concepts together, but hold up a little bit. Since Chad has also indicated he'd like to be an out of towner, I'd like for the 'returnees' to be related.

I should also point out now that combat will not be a focus in the game, so please don't expect that.

Ah, now he tells us! So what exactly do you want then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wimplesaur wrote:
Bazin wrote:

Sorry, I just wanted to find out who was interested in being the 'one(s) that got away' first, then throw some ideas out there.

BUT, I will say that your backstory about your grandfather is good. I can use that! And I can perhaps put a slightly different role out there for Chad. The problem with being a bit of a troubled loner is that the towns folk aren't likely to be very receptive to your return to begin with, but even more so if you caused problems in your youth. Let's see if Chad has any ideas before I go any further.

Also, the townies will be connected to you somehow. Friends, enemies, former lovers, etc.

The town is an old mining town. It hasn't been active in almost 50 years, most folks work in surrounding areas in forestry. Technology isn't well adopted here, its one of the weak coverage areas for the cell phone providers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IvoryThorns wrote:

Sure, as a teenager I wanted to get out of this one-horse town. I ran a bit wild and stirred up a little trouble, but it was your usual teenager-acting-out stuff -- stupid, but harmless. Dad had his heart attack my senior year, and I put off going to college to help my Mom run the bar and look after my kid brother. And then I put it off another year. And another. At some point, I guess I just stopped looking for a life elsewhere and started building my life here. It's not the glamorous life I had always hoped for, but I know more about the town than anyone. Take that poor old man who just died, for instance...

I like this - very real - you'd probably hold a grudge against those that got out, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:
I like this town. That's why I haven't left. Sure there are better jobs in the big city, and actually I got one. But because I'm pretty skilled with computers they let me work remotely. I make the hike into HQ about once a year, and that's about all I can take before the trip becomes less exciting and more mundane.

It's about that time of year and I'll be packing for the week long trip, except my elderly neighbor just bought the farm. Maybe I can use the funeral to stick around.

From what I was thinking, the best internet in the area would be a satellite-type connection, which, while better than dial-up, I'm not sure how great it would be for telecommuting. Can we flesh this out more? Why don't you like the city? Is it some sort of disorder, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
Wimplesaur wrote:
Bazin wrote:

Sorry, I just wanted to find out who was interested in being the 'one(s) that got away' first, then throw some ideas out there.

BUT, I will say that your backstory about your grandfather is good. I can use that! And I can perhaps put a slightly different role out there for Chad. The problem with being a bit of a troubled loner is that the towns folk aren't likely to be very receptive to your return to begin with, but even more so if you caused problems in your youth. Let's see if Chad has any ideas before I go any further.

Also, the townies will be connected to you somehow. Friends, enemies, former lovers, etc.

The town is an old mining town. It hasn't been active in almost 50 years, most folks work in surrounding areas in forestry. Technology isn't well adopted here, its one of the weak coverage areas for the cell phone providers.

OK, good. Now you're giving us something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wimplesaur wrote:
My character concept: my parents died when I was young and I was brought up by my Grandfather. He had an old crumbling house on the edge of town and I used it as my playground, inventing imaginary friends to amuse myself. My Grandfather was a solitary man, and spent most of his time in his library, so, although I was fed and clothed, I was largely left to bring myself up.

I had problems with authority at school and was often in trouble, graduating to vandalism and stealing cars. My Grandfather never criticised me, just paying fines or damages as required, but by sixteen I'd outgrown the small town and left for the city.

My Grandfather saw me off with a small wad of cash and a wave. "Be careful out there" was all he had to say.

In the city, I hustled anyway I could for money, eventually becoming a minor member of one of the Mafia crime families that ran the place. That was fifteen years ago.

Now I've heard the old man has died and, although I haven't thought about him for years, I somehow feel I should go back to put things to rest. And after all, as his only living relative, perhaps there's something in it for me.

Alright - so I don't like how you leave the town - but, how about something like this: Maybe you were the town jock - lead the football team to state championships - you were so good you could get away with lots of stuff - including stealing a car or two for joy rides. Went to college on a scholarship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
Wimplesaur wrote:

Alright - so I don't like how you leave the town - but, how about something like this: Maybe you were the town jock - lead the football team to state championships - you were so good you could get away with lots of stuff - including stealing a car or two for joy rides. Went to college on a scholarship?

Ok, it's a bit vanilla, but it works with me if it suits your purpose. I still think my original idea was more interesting and I could have used it to work into a number of situations, but since I don't know exactly what you have in mind I'll let you be the judge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wimplesaur wrote:
Bazin wrote:
Wimplesaur wrote:

Ok, it's a bit vanilla, but it works with me if it suits your purpose. I still think my original idea was more interesting and I could have used it to work into a number of situations, but since I don't know exactly what you have in mind I'll let you be the judge.

Maybe that behaviour carried over to college and you got kicked out, but didn't come home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with whatever you need for your story, just let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Bazin wrote:
IvoryThorns wrote:

I like this - very real - you'd probably hold a grudge against those that got out, maybe?

Seems likely! Definitely pretending hard to be happy but there's some bitterness there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ok, forestry it is...
As a Soil Conservation Technician life's pretty quiet. I like this town. That's why I haven't left, lots of ties and all that jazz.

I'm pretty thin, some would say too thin. And maybe because Auntie Gertrude says I can blow away in the wind I feel like this town could blow away at any moment. It scares me. Like I said I like this town but its glory days are obviously over.

Sometimes I dream of a better life but am afraid that if I make a change, it will change everything. I like to help people and at the same time I've grown fond of this area; maybe that's why I took the job with the soil thing - helping people on their land while helping these mountains and forests here at the same time. Erosion is the enemy and sometimes I feel this town and the surrounding areas are eroding quickly - I'm talking about the people also.

Remember back when I said I like to help people? I do but I'm not very trusting of outsiders. Don't get me wrong I'm real friendly - just cautious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ack, that went quickly. So, I'll be townfolk as well, and I'll try to be quicker on the ball from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Againsto wrote:
Ack, that went quickly. So, I'll be townfolk as well, and I'll try to be quicker on the ball from now on.

I think the rest of us got carried away. You're probably fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IvoryThorns wrote:
Againsto wrote:

I think the rest of us got carried away. You're probably fine.

Yea, you're totally fine!

If you want to be an out of towner, well, then we might have to have a deathmatch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm headed out of town starting now through the weekend. I'll probably still be visiting here though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.