Legacy of Dragonholt
OSR Solo
Ars Magica (5th edition)
The Tragedy of GJ 237b
A Field Guide to Hot Springs Island
Numenera Player's Guide (Revised)
Ironsworn
LOAD ""
Lairs, Dens and Burrows
Heart of the Lizard
Atomic Heroes
The Stellar Beacon (Summer 2019)
Annihilation Rising (1E)
Bob, Lord of Evil Gamemaster Screen
Angmar: Land of the Witch King
Blue Rose (1st Edition)
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Bob, Lord of Evil
Microscope
Savage Worlds Deluxe
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Recommend
569 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [23] |

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Iron_Reviewer_2014 [+] Iron_Reviewer [+] [View All]
designer
Click here for the geeklist to sign up!

Click here for the OFFICIAL contest geeklist!

What is Iron Reviewer? It is a competition starting January 1st to find the most tenacious of all of the Geek's reviewers.

There is an existing Iron Reviewer contest (the second such event) still going on that started in 2013. You can see the details of that contest here:
Iron Reviewer 2013 - Contestants
Iron Reviewer 2013 - Discussion Thread

That contest is winding down, with only a few reviewers left standing. So this is a new version of the same contest, open to all site members!

The rules are as follows:

d10-1 There is no entry fee; this is open to all site users.
d10-2 Keep writing reviews to the schedule, or you're out:
d10-21 One review every two weeks up to 1 July (13 reviews).
d10-22 Then one review every week up to 30 September (13 more reviews).
d10-23 Then two reviews every week up to 30 December (26 more reviews).
d10-24 A brief respite through the end of 2014.
d10-25 Then, beginning January 2, 2015, one review every day for two weeks ending 16.01.2015. If, at any time during this period, there is only one remaining Iron Reviewer submitting their entry on time, the contest will be declared closed with them as the sole winner.
However, if at the end of the daily review phase two or more contestants have completed their submissions, all of them will be declared joint winners. This also applies if all remaining contestants miss the same deadline together. If either is the case, then GG prizing will be adjusted based on the number of Iron Reviewers completing the full year and the sudden-death daily reviews.
d10-3 There are three lifelines, each of which can only be used once per contestant:
d10-31 Freebie: If you miss a review, you have to write two EXTRA in the following time period to get back in (four extra if you skip two reviews in one week in the October to December period).
d10-32 Vacation: You can miss a review period with no penalty as long as you inform the group while turning in the previous review. So if you plan to miss review number 15, you must inform of this when you post review number 14.
d10-33 Personal: If you feel for some reason that because of personal events beyond your control you were not be able to review, you can use this option. The honor system is in effect here. This lifeline should not be used lightly. It should not be used because of technical problems, laziness or bad fortune that could have been avoided, but for graver situations. A surprise site blackout at the submission deadline does qualify for this lifeline. To clarify: when the site downtime is announced less than one hour before it goes down, and when the site remains down through the submission deadline.
d10-4 All reviews have to be posted during the two-week period. All reviews have to be in by midnight RPG Geek time (before the end of Tuesday). It is the submission time that matters here, rather than the time it gets through GeekMod.
d10-5 All reviews can be for any kind of entry in the RPGG database. The review can't have been published anywhere else before it is posted on the 'Geek and it can't be a video review. Periodicals and issues may be reviewed, but not individual articles.
d10-6 Any one review will only count towards one Iron Reviewer contest (the folks still churning out daily reviews for the 2013 contest will have to submit additional reviews if they join in here as well).
d10-7 Everyone who enters at least one review for this contest will be given an exclusive micro badge (yet to be designed).
d10-8 The prize pot consists of all GeekGold tipped to this post PLUS all Geekgold tipped to the geeklist PLUS 200 GG of my own stash as seed money. The winner gets 2/3 of the pot. The one who has earned the most thumbs for their reviews gets 1/3. The thumb count will be based on the thread thumbs - that is, the number at the top of your review, not at the bottom.
d10-9 At any time when only one participant meets the deadline, and no one has called a vacation, the posting player is declared the winner. That means only the vacation lifeline can get you out of losing.
d10-1d10-0 If a deadline passes and no one posts, all remaining players gets a freebie.
d10-1d10-1 Barad_the_dwarf will be the arbiter for the 2014 contest. He will have sole responsibility for interpreting the rules and resolving any disputes.

A separate geeklist will track all the participants, how many lifelines they have, and all reviews they have posted.

If anyone wants to join, post an item to this list. The item that you choose doesn't matter in the least, so choose anything you like. (If you need help posting an item to a geeklist, just ask on the discussion thread!) Plese see the third comment below for some suggested text.

Since the first deadline is January 14th, anyone can join before this date. So, while the competition starts on January 1st, you can join through the 14th.

Special thanks go to Steve Donohue for creating this contest, and to Karl Larsson and Stelio for running the first two contests.

Just another Steve
Allen Park
Michigan
Karl Larsson
Norway
mb
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
Redhill
Surrey
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
Currently: planning.
Current prizes:

Last reviewer standing: 1200

Most thumbs: 600

Many thanks to all our Contributors:
Thalendar (500 )
wusselpompf (50 )
Shadow Hexagram (50 )
skalchemist (50 )
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
Here is the text from my entry Geeklist item; feel free to quote it and copy into your Geeklist item to speed up the process:

Status: Waiting for review

Reviews:

Remaining Lifelines:
Freebie (but now you have to turn in three reviews before the next deadline).
Vacation (you have to do tell us about this before the deadline of the one you plan to miss).
Personal (only to be used if you feel the reason is sufficient).
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
For those of continuing on from past years, note that there are a few changes to the rules, so please read carefully. In particular:

The schedule mostly follows the 2013 version, except that dailies won't begin until January 2, 2015 (similar to the original competition).
We don't have an arbiter yet - unless one steps up, we'll go by majority rule, when there isn't already a precedent from the two previous competitions. We have an arbiter - thanks Barad! Disputes will be resolved by him.
The signup geeklist will be replaced by Barad's official geeklist some time soon, and he will update review links, lifelines, etc.
I have noted that A surprise site blackout at the submission deadline does qualify for the personal lifeline. That's because I think site blackouts suck!
DMSamuel
Wurtsboro
New York
RPGMusings.com
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
vestige wrote:

I appreciate this change as it's what knocked me out of the competition this year.
Mike Holcomb
Cadott
Wisconsin
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
Running Traveller (M2e)
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
Argh! I'm very conflicted here. I know from last year that I'm good for 8-10 reviews tops. I just don't like reviewing that much, and I don't have a ton of stuff I want to review. On the other hand, there's no harm in entering, writing a handful of reviews, and dropping out early.

I really love the Iron Reviewer as a contest and want to support it, so regardless of whether I decide to enter or not, I will again take the (voluntary) role of oddsmaker and bookie on the contest. But this year, I'm going to make it a little more interesting and engaging. Rather than just betting on the ultimate winner, which takes a looong time to determine, I'll try to offer a book with some intermediate fun wagers to keep people engaged. (To be clear, these are wagers for small amounts of GG, not real money.)
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
You really can't believe that I want to be the arbitor this year don't you?
MonsterMike wrote:

Exactly! If this contest motivates you to write even one review, then it's worthwhile. Plus, you'll get a microbadge!

I look forward to the betting pool as well!
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
You really can't believe that I want to be the arbitor this year don't you?

Sorry! I thought you had meant that you could do it if there's nobody else. If you are ready to take over now, that's totally fine with me - just GM me and let me know what exactly you want to do (just make the decisions, or also track the reviews etc.), and how you'd like the rules written up.
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
I would just continue like it has been done before. That's the job of the arbitor.
Erich Vereen
Leland
North Carolina
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
I think I'll jump in on this one this year. Been reading a lot of games lately, so I should hopefully be able to keep up for a while.

Maybe...
Rhiannon D
Australia
Crafts keep me sane.
New recruit to the spoonie army.
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
I was disappointed with how early I had to drop out of the 2013 Iron Reviewer contest, but I was in my first trimester and being really sick and exhausted. So I'd like to redeem my pride this year...
Realistically however I'm even more exhausted dealing with a baby so I probably won't survive more than a few rounds. But it is the motivation I need to get some reviews done.
0.05
Chris Tannhauser
San Diego
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
I plan on writing exactly one, uh, "review". After that, who knows?
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
Just wanted to mention that the heroic

...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!

has signed up to be official arbiter for this competition!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

I've updated the rules above to reflect this. The main thing to note is that Barad will be tracking reviews and lifelines, and to do that he'll need to create his own version of the geeklist (where he can edit all the items). The current geeklist will just be the signup list, and Barad will transition over to the official one at some point in the next few weeks.

Thanks Barad!
Paul Baldowski
Stockport
Cheshire
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
Yay, for Jan. Have fun with that.
Thanks Barad!
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
so many plans...
irregular guest for a couple of days - mostly offline
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
How long can people sign up - until the first submission period starts, or until the first deadline (that would be mid-January)? I guess a single review might be doable for me, although January is pretty swamped for me already.
jasri wrote:

Until January 14 - anyone who gets a review in during that period is welcome to sign up!
Paul Baldowski
Stockport
Cheshire
vestige wrote:

May undefined preternatural entities have mercy on their metaphysical essence.
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
Okay we are 2014 the competition is of. You have until January 14th to enter your first review. The official geeklist is found here:

Iron Reviewer 2014

May I ask each contestant to reserve the first comment under their item to keep track of the reviews they write. I'm a bit afraid that I would loose track if not, so after a review is approved just add a link to it in the first comment. From there I will update the geeklist item itself.

Good luck everyone!
Charles Picard
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
Dangit, it would love to do this some day, but I fear this is not the year.

I have a 9 month old bouncing baby boy (I've discovered that that isn't just a figure of speech); the wife and I are moving to the Bay Area (gamer heaven!); and I have a big project to finally read all those books that have just been "hitchhiking" with me from move to move.

Also, I should probably use the time to finish adding some things to the site! And getting a piece or two published this year.

Anyway, best of luck to the contestants and may the individual with the highest proportion of RPG Iron win.
Yohann
France
Pandacon is Panda-On!
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
Argh! I'm kind of conflicted too! There are some reviews I really ought to write soon, and on the other hand I'm afraid I won't last long, a handful of reviews caps.

Oh well! Count me in and let the dice of fate decide the rest.
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
Just to let everyone involved know: I just transferred the Iron Reviewer prize pool (currently 1400 ) to Barad - he's the money man now! I'll send him any more tips this thread receives, but feel free to send more contributions directly to him.

Also: of course the first submission period is open and runs through January 14. I'm looking forward to some great reviews!
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
FYI everyone, the micro badge has now been made, using the amazing Stelio's original image updated by the incomparable Kattvippa:

mb

It will be distributed once the first deadline is complete, so expect yours on Jan. 15 or so!
Re: Iron Reviewer 2014 - Signups now open!
By the way, is it just me, or are there much fewer people this year than last year?
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [23] |