Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dinky Dungeons
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Avalon's Solo Adventure System
Shadowrun: Sixth World Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Rough Nights & Hard Days
Courts of Stone
LOAD ""
OVA: The Anime Role-Playing Game
Grimtina's Guard
Kids on Bikes
Ironsworn
Black Void
D&D Essentials Kit
Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
Trail of Cthulhu
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Pacific Rim Sourcebook
Melee
Powers & Perils (Basic Set)
Catapult Run
Big Rubble
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Symbaroum Core Rulebook
Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (Second Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Starter Set (4th Edition)
Realms of Terrinoth
Amazing Tales
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Forbidden Lands Card Deck
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Magical Kitties Save the Day
No Future
Maximum Apocalypse the Roleplaying Game Quickstart Guide
The Scroll or the Blade
GM's Maps 87: Warehouse
Highfell
Sanderson Distillery
Lokis: Sacred Isles of the Northmen
Death Star Technical Companion
Cyberspace
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
140 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Mutants & Masterminds Third Edition» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Training Program for Much Mayhem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Three men wake from an unnatural sleep to find themselves lying on the grease splattered floor of a large abandoned warehouse. Fluorescent lights that hang from chains connected to the high ceiling some 80 feet above flicker and buzz, casting the area in an uncertain light.

Each man wakes in turn, and shaking the cobwebs from their minds begin to realize they recognize each other as allies. Solid State, Singularity, and The Phantom are old friends, yet none of them has any idea what they're doing here.

Other than themselves, there's not much to see in this place except for four strange metal cylinders, one standing in each quadrant of the warehouse. Before the men have a chance to ask each other any questions about their collective predicament one of the cylinders begins to rotate in a circle, slowly sinking into the floor below as it turns.

Inch by inch the cylinder recedes into the floor as it reveals the man whom stands within. Two eyes, black as coal, look out from a face formed of sputtering and crackling molten lava! As the cylinder continues it's descent you see the figure is made entirely of the fiery substance and as it steps towards you the floor beneath it's feet smokes under each step!

Roll initiative!

(I'll always try to remember and enable public dice rolls on posts like this, allowing for you all to roll Initiative right on the post where I ask for it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 476256. Mulligans
  • 1d20+12 =
  • (5) + 12 =
  • Lava Lamp Initiative
  • Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:34 am
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Phantom shakes his head and takes a few deep breaths, trying to clear the fug from his mind. Glancing around, he sees his allies and the decrepit warehouse, but can conjure no memory of how he got here.

Many questions race through his mind, but before he can speak, he sees the lava-skinned horror emerge from the cylinder in the corner. "Time for questions later..." he thinks to himself.

Phantom Initiative d20+8 = (13) + 8 = 21
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 476374. MonsterMike
  • d20+8 =
  • (13) + 8 =
  • Phantom Initiative
  • Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:41 pm
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
For a moment, Gray thinks he is back in the collider lab after the accident. But why are the walls a different color? And then he snaps to consciousness. Just as after the accident, it seems that reaction is more important than investigation.

Initiative 1d20+4 = (6) + 4 = 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 476457. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (6) + 4 =
  • Initiative
  • Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:53 pm
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucas wakes up in human form, and looks around himself in a dazed manner. He sees, recognizes and nods a greeting to his comrades.

When the tubes rotate and the fire-walkers emerge Lucas changes into Solid State and brings up his electrical barrier. He also scans the room visually for an electrical conduits or plugs.

Initiative: 1d20+1 = (8) + 1 = 9

ooc: not up with the rules yet. Is it group or single initiative because we all have different modifiers to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 476619. Bifford
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (8) + 1 =
  • Initiative:
  • Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:42 am
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

The Phantom is first to act!

Init. is rolled for each character individually.

Order
The Phantom
Singularity
Solid State
Lava Lamp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Phantom takes one more cleansing breath to focus his mind, then springs into action, his movements honed by over a decade of training on an isolated mountaintop in Tibet. Lying on his back, he kicks his legs upward and toward his own head with enough force to pull his shoulders off the floor. The motion finishes as a layout backflip that leaves him on his feet facing his foe, both guns drawn.

(using Quick Draw advantage here.)

"I doubt if bullets are going to be of any use against this thing, but there's only one way to know for sure," he thinks to himself. Both pistols bark repeatedly as he unleashes a fusillade of shots into the fire-walker.

Phantom: Hail of Lead! (DC 23) d20+12 = (11) + 12 = 23

Once the shots are fired, The Phantom fades back into a shadow and simply vanishes.

Using Hide in Plain Sight and Invisibility. My Hail of Lead is unreliable: 5 uses means I've used up all the ammo I'm carrying. One down, four left.

The Phantom backs up a few steps, assessing whether his shots had any effect on the lava menace. Then he turns to look at the cylinders in the other corners of the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 476747. MonsterMike
  • d20+12 =
  • (11) + 12 =
  • Phantom: Hail of Lead! (DC 23)
  • Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:26 pm
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

The bullets impact all over the lava man's chest, splattering droplets of lava everywhere.

Okay guys, here's where I ask you to be patient.

In this "training program" I hope to work out my doubts on how to run this game, regarding both mechanics and play style. I'll be discussing things I wouldn't during normal play, and asking for some help on a couple levels from you guys.

Mechanics:

Okay, so it's no wonder I'm slow on the uptake here, I have to refer to three different sections in the rules just to process this attack! laugh

Lava Lamp has a Dodge rank of 6, making his defense class vs. ranged attacks a 16. The Phantom hits!

The DC to avoid the damage is 23, as noted by Mike.

Lava Lamp has a Toughness of 6.

resist damage 1d20+6 = (11) + 6 = 17

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 476878. Mulligans
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (11) + 6 =
  • resist damage
  • Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:33 pm
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

His roll is 6 under the DC, resulting in 2 degrees of failure as it was five or more under, but less than ten under, the DC.

Lava Lamp staggers backwards and is dazed until the end of his next turn. He also takes a -1 penalty to further checks to resist damage.

That all sound right? I hope so, because now it's starting to make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd also like to discuss how to play out the action, verbally. In most examples I've seen the player states his attempted actions, then rolls. Then the GM gives the player the results and asks the player to describe what happened.

So at this point Mike would further describe the attack. I'm unsure of this part, only because he's already described his action, and I've described the affect. It's just a bit different than what I'm used to, but that doesn't mean I'm unwilling to change the way I do things. I want to give you guys every opportunity to tell the story you want to tell.

Mike, at this point would you be furthering your description? I can see how needing to know the result of your attack would hinder what you describe prior to the roll...

Maybe in other types of scenes, or during actions with more skill use such as acrobatics I would say, "You succeeded, tell me how you did it!" or something to that affect...

Thoughts?

Again, very un-IC approach here, which is why I wanted to do this pregame test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the need to ask the player to describe what happened after providing the results. We can just do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries, Mulligans. I'm at about the same place with M&M - I had to brush up on all this stuff to run a F2F game of it last night. But I'm reading it the same way you are. All of these formulas are very simple, but you have to do some figuring on both sides of the equation. My attack was d20 + 12 vs Lava Lamp's static dodge DC of 10 + 6. His toughness check was d20 + 6 vs 15 + my damage ranks of 8. He failed by 6, so that's 2 degrees of failure.

As far as narrating the result of the roll, there's a lot of ways for the players to deal with that - either a follow up post to the GM's description or describing it as part of the next turn.

For example, I could be posting after your description of the bullets impact:

The Phantom smiles grimly behind his scarf when he sees that the bullets have some effect against the fiery horror. "You guys can take him, I'm going to try to get ahead of the next one!" he shouts at his companions.

Or on my next turn:

The Phantom smiles a grim smile behind his scarf as the bullets impact Lava Lamp, and turns his back on the grisly carnage that follows as Solid State pounds the creature into a pet rock. He teleports, or Shadow Walks as his former master used to call it, to the backside of the next revolving cylinder and draws all his Qi to his center in preparation for a devastating strike against the next horror to emerge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Then I'll just go ahead with the next character in line rather than prompting or waiting for a response. It seemed that might bog things down in pbf play.

Singularity and Solid State are next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Singularity abruptly shrinks to knee height and air rushes into the vacated space, swirling violently around him. Portions of it swiftly coalesce into an angry black globe which orbits Singularity a couple of times before shooting toward Lava Lamp.

Ranged Attack (DC 25) 1d20+10 = (1) + 10 = 11 (Gravitic Slingshot)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 476936. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (1) + 10 =
  • Ranged Attack (DC 25)
  • Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:15 am
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brent Johnson wrote:
Singularity abruptly shrinks to knee height and air rushes into the vacated space, swirling violently around him. Portions of it swiftly coalesce into an angry black globe which orbits Singularity a couple of times before shooting toward Lava Lamp.

Brent Johnson previously rolled 1d20+10 = (1) + 10 = 11 (Ranged Attack (DC 25)) (Gravitic Slingshot)

Singularity's timing is a bit off! The globe ricochets off the ceiling and floor several times before shattering a window on the far side of the warehouse.

As a side note, everyone starts with one Hero Point, which can be used to reroll a die, among other things. If you want to use them during this pregame trial they will of course be replaced when we begin the actual game.

Solid State, get in the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
First up, still totally new to all this so muddling through....

Lucas wakes up in human form, and looks around himself in a dazed manner. He sees, recognizes and nods a greeting to his comrades.

When the tubes rotate and the fire-walkers emerge Lucas changes into Solid State and brings up his electrical barrier. He also scans the room visually for an electrical conduits or plugs.

OOC: Didn't get a GM reply to whether there is electrical conduits/plug sockets in here.

That done Lucas notices that Phantom's bullet do seem to do some damage. Lucas had thought that such things would not work, but if bullets did then so should......

Lucas lets forth a electrical blast right at the chest area of that creature....

Electrical Blast +5 - Ranged, Damage 3.

So er? D20+5 ? making the DC 25? 1d20+5 = (13) + 5 = 18

Note: edit to make the blast against the existing creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 477248. Bifford
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (13) + 5 =
  • Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:41 pm
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Getting a couple things straight:

Oops, sorry I forgot to reply to your question about electrical sources. There's plenty of juice flowing within the warehouse.

Also, only one tube has opened, only one enemy so far.

The numbers:

Solid State's attack bonus with the Blast is +5, so yes; d20+5.

That's enough to get a hit.

It looks like you've got Damage rank of 3 on the blast. So, adding 15 to that gives us a DC of 18 for the Lava man to resist the damage. He rolls d20+ his Toughness rank, -1 for the damage he took from The Phantom which dazed him. damage resistance check 1d20+6-1 = (19) + 6 - 1 = 24

the energy blast hits Lava Lamp and disappates without causing any harm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 477369. Mulligans
  • 1d20+6-1 =
  • (19) + 6 - 1 =
  • damage resistance check
  • Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:25 am
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

The Phantom takes a quick look at the other three tubes. Like the one that opened to reveal Lava Lamp they are made of metal with a glossy black polished finish. The other three tubes have not moved at all.

(Any detailed inspection would require a Standard Action.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Ha! Just realized Lava dude never took his turn. I'll just play it as if he delayed action until after you all acted, changing his place in the order to last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Lava Lamp regains his composure, steadies his balance and returns an attack at the Phantom, who is the only one to have caused him any pain so far.

A wave of the molten liquid builds in his chest, then ripples along his right arm before separating from his extended hand in a softball sized ball of molten liquid!

ranged attack vs. Phantom's Dodge of 20 1d20+8 = (9) + 8 = 17
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 477371. Mulligans
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (9) + 8 =
  • ranged attack vs. Phantom's Dodge of 20
  • Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:39 am
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

The Phantom is too quick and evades the lava ball!

The Phantom is up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

It looks like you've got Damage rank of 3 on the blast. So, adding 15 to that gives us a DC of 18 ...

I get the 3 part, but where's the 15 come from? Is that the standard base rate for reactions? So I'd do 15 + toughness rank when he attacks me? (Havn't had time to read that linked post yet...will try to soon!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
"How did he see me?!" the Phantom wonders as he flips out of the way of the incoming lava ball. "There's more to Lava Lamp than meets the eye," Phantom warns the others. "Probably infravision for one thing."

Realizing that his invisibility is useless against this particular foe, he Shadow Walks behind the next closest cylinder for cover and unleashes another barrage of shots from his pistols.

Hail of Lead! (DC 23) 1d20+12 = (10) + 12 = 22

My Precise Attack (Ranged) means I take no penalty for shooting from cover or concealment, which is normally the case. 2/5 uses on Hail of Lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 477436. MonsterMike
  • 1d20+12 =
  • (10) + 12 =
  • Hail of Lead! (DC 23)
  • Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:21 pm
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:

I get the 3 part, but where's the 15 come from? Is that the standard base rate for reactions? So I'd do 15 + toughness rank when he attacks me? (Havn't had time to read that linked post yet...will try to soon!!)

The DC for a resistance check against physical damage is 15 + Damage Ranks, so yes, the 15 is standard and also unique to toughness checks.

For other types of resistance checks (will or fortitude) the DC is 10 + Attackers ranks in whatever attack was used.

So if you attacked me and hit with the gravity slingshot, I would roll d20 + MY TOUGHNESS and compare it to the DC of 15 + YOUR RANKS in gravity slingshot. If my number is greater than or equal to the DC (15 + YOUR RANKS), I take no damage. If it is less, I take damage. If it is a lot less, I take more damage.

Your attack roll (to hit roll) is based on appropriate skills or attributes and modified by advantages. The ranks you put into the power determine how hard it is to resist, but your attributes, skills, and advantages determine how likely you are to hit with it. For example, Phantom has 8 ranks in Hail of Lead, so the resistance DC is 15 + 8 = 23. But he has a +12 to hit with it. This comes from a +4 Agility, +6 skill ranks in Ranged Attack, and +2 ranks in a Ranged Attack advantage, for a total of +12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
...this really isn't a game you can play if you've forgotten your character sheet, is it? LOL :/

EDIT: Checking over my character sheet - I noticed I have:
"Ranged Attack 4 (+4 bonus to ranged attack checks)"

So does that mean my Electrical Blast is always 1d20 +4(ranged) +5 ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
MonsterMike wrote:
"How did he see me?!" the Phantom wonders as he flips out of the way of the incoming lava ball. "There's more to Lava Lamp than meets the eye," Phantom warns the others. "Probably infravision for one thing."

Realizing that his invisibility is useless against this particular foe, he Shadow Walks behind the next closest cylinder for cover and unleashes another barrage of shots from his pistols.

MonsterMike previously rolled 1d20+12 = (10) + 12 = 22 (Hail of Lead! (DC 23))

My Precise Attack (Ranged) means I take no penalty for shooting from cover or concealment, which is normally the case. 2/5 uses on Hail of Lead.

Another flock of bullets impacts Lava Lamp, can he withstand the hit?

Molten! 1d20+6 = (1) + 6 = 7

It looks like the Phantom has Lava's number! Hot molten la-va splatters all over the place! Lava Lamp's eyes begin to glow, pinholes of fire inside circles of black coal. He glares directly at the Phantom!

Lava Lamp is staggered! He will remain so until he is able to recover somehow. While staggered he gets a -1 to damage resistance checks, moves at half speed, and is limited to free actions and a single standard action each turn. He can, of course, use his standard action as a move action.

Singularity is up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 477612. Mulligans
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (1) + 6 =
  • Molten!
  • Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:20 pm
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.