Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
307 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 5-04: The Stolen Heir» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PBF The Stolen Heir [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RPG [+] Pathfinder [+] Pbf [+] [View All]
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OOC Thread is Here

Morning light streams in through the stained glass windows of the Cathedral of Aroden in Almas, where Venture-Captain Brackett sits behind a large, antique desk replete with hair- thin lines that mar its surface like nearly healed scars. He scans a handful of papers before speaking to you and the other assembled guests, among them the no-nonsense wizard Wystorn Telfyr and Major Colson Maldris.

"I recently received news of a kidnapping in Sauerton, up in the northern wine country. Thalia Andares, heir to the Sauerton Red wine fortune and daughter of Consul Tercio Andares, vanished during the Silverglazer Sunday celebration and has not been seen since.”

With a meaningful look, Maldris catches Brackett’s attention, and the two nod in understanding as the major contributes. “Tercio Andares is powerful and widely respected; not only has he been the mayor of the large town for many years, but he is also a strong voice in the Andoren military—even for a consul. The Sauerton Red winery has made him extremely wealthy, and his financial support could be a considerable asset to the Pathfinders’ important work in and around the Worldwound. He seems uninterested in foreign affairs, though, perhaps because it’s politically safer to focus on domestic matters. Even so, he is known to help those who help him.”

“I appreciate the summary, major,” says Brackett. “I am convinced that the Andares’s gratitude would do much to refill our war chest for a struggle that is unlikely to end quickly. When you track down Thalia, as I trust you will do quickly, it is important not only to the Pathfinder Society but perhaps to the whole world that you request funding for the military campaign against the Worldwound. Of course, convincing Tercio to contribute troops and military aid would be even better, but aim for finances first.”

With a sigh, Major Maldris picks up his tricorne hat and prepares to depart. ”I would stay longer, but I must make final preparations to travel,” he states in a quiet voice. ”While I hope that the Andares family agrees to help the society, I am also wary of this political practice of mutual backscratching. As all of you are in Sauerton – especially those who care for this fine country – remain vigilant for signs of short-sighted corruption and abandonment of Andoran’s founding principles: freedom and democracy. Follow what you believe to be the best course of action, as I will not be available to advise you. Nonetheless, I would appreciate any reports of corruption after the situation is resolved.” After sharing a quick handshake with Brackett and a nod of farewell to the rest of you, he departs, closing the door behind him.

Telfyr breaks the moment of silence that follows by reporting, ”My scyring indicates that the young Andares is being held in a building with high ceilings and once-elegant adornments in a style popular in this nation before the People’s Revolt. The structure seems to have sustained extensive fire damage which has not been repaired. Thalia is alive and unhurt, at least for now. She was reading a fresh copy of the essays of Alysande Benedict when I saw her.”

Brackett begins to bring the briefing to a close by concluding. ”We have transportation ready to take you to Sauerton as quickly as possible. When you arrive, present this letter to Consul Andares before you begin your investigation. It introduces you and offers the condolences and assistance of the Pathfinder Society. Not only is this proper etiquette to announce your intentions to the mayor, but Thalia vanished from the Andares manor. Someone there should be able to make sense of Telfyr’s visions.”

Telfyr frowns at Brackett’s diction. ”Scrying, Brackett, is diff-“ ”Alright, yes, scrying,” the venture-captain concedes as he pushes a sealed letter across the table. ”Introductions, rescue operation, then negotiation for funding and possible military support. Make any questions quick; you’ve got a boat to catch.”
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cally Wood
msg tools
Seelah the Just
Seelah the just sat quietly and listened to the short briefing. She had been lounging around the Society Hall for some days now fasting and praying to Iomedae. While she had been praying for 'insight' and 'knowledge' it appeared her goddess wasn't one to just hand such things out lightly. Apparently Iomedae wanted the faithful to go out and find it for themselves. "Captain Brackett, this girl, Thalia Andares, is it possible that she went willingly? That this could just be an extortion plot with her hand involved? It seems strange that kidnappers could make their way onto the Mayor's estate undetected, lest there be 'inside help'? While I am in support of garnering favor and powerful allies for our causes, has someone who knew the girl been spoken too about the matter? If she is a 'bad apple', maybe it's best it rolls far from the tree.", the Paladin said quietly. She looked about the room to see if anyone else shared her thoughts.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaima is ready to go. "Is there any group suspect of the kidnapping?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kadrun frowns "If there's even a small chance she did not go willingly we need to act as if she is in danger. I won't risk a young girl's safety on a possibility. I am ready to leave as soon as we can."
The leopard at her side stirs restlessly, sensing her companion's worry.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Solar Burner wrote:
Seelah the just sat quietly and listened to the short briefing. She had been lounging around the Society Hall for some days now fasting and praying to Iomedae. While she had been praying for 'insight' and 'knowledge' it appeared her goddess wasn't one to just hand such things out lightly. Apparently Iomedae wanted the faithful to go out and find it for themselves. "Captain Brackett, this girl, Thalia Andares, is it possible that she went willingly? That this could just be an extortion plot with her hand involved? It seems strange that kidnappers could make their way onto the Mayor's estate undetected, lest there be 'inside help'? While I am in support of garnering favor and powerful allies for our causes, has someone who knew the girl been spoken too about the matter? If she is a 'bad apple', maybe it's best it rolls far from the tree.", the Paladin said quietly. She looked about the room to see if anyone else shared her thoughts.

Beckett nods thoughtfully. That possibility certainly exists, though I've heard nothing to make me suspicious. I recommend asking around the Andares manor for more information. I have heard the manor was empty aside from Thalia because her father, the servants, and town guards were out attending the Silverglazer Sunday celebration.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Kaima is ready to go. "Is there any group suspect of the kidnapping?"

Beckett shakes his head. When I heard reports from the north, it seemed as though the authorities were stumped.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeHadfield wrote:
Beckett nods thoughtfully. That possibility certainly exists, though I've heard nothing to make me suspicious. I recommend asking around the Andares manor for more information. I have heard the manor was empty aside from Thalia because her father, the servants, and town guards were out attending the Silverglazer Sunday celebration.

Kadrun looks up "That seems odd. I would have thought an heiress would have to go to the festival, and why would her father leave her with no servants or guards?!"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N N
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
Kujo sat quietly, or at least as quietly as one can while sharpening his two-hander and his chakram. The blade called out with a grateful sckreeeeee each time its edge became sharper.

Kujo's muscles rippled under dark skin with each pass of the stone. Kujo was strong, really strong. Adorned in silver breastplate and peasants clothes. Apart from the weapons armor and an ornate belt about his waist, Kujo traveled rather light for a pathfinder. For a man with no hair, he left no doubts about his virility. However, the barbarian seemed a little under the weather as a blood filled vial hung about the man's neck.

@GM on this adventure, Kujo purchases a Blood Reservoir of Physical Prowess This requires that I put four Con points into the item which heal normally. Since these missions don't generally happen the next day, is it acceptable to have purchased the item at least two days prior to restore all Con damage?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cally Wood
msg tools
The Preparing....
Seelah listened to her compatriots as the speculated aloud. "Then I guess it cannot be helped, we will learn more when we get there. How soon until we leave? I have a couple of things to grab from my room, but I could be ready to go within the hour", she said flatly. Whatever they speculated here, it was likely to change as soon as they got there. The dark skinned woman shifted to sit up in her seat. She was prepared to leave as soon as all were ready.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowolf wrote:
MikeHadfield wrote:
Beckett nods thoughtfully. That possibility certainly exists, though I've heard nothing to make me suspicious. I recommend asking around the Andares manor for more information. I have heard the manor was empty aside from Thalia because her father, the servants, and town guards were out attending the Silverglazer Sunday celebration.

Kadrun looks up "That seems odd. I would have thought an heiress would have to go to the festival, and why would her father leave her with no servants or guards?!"

Yes, that piqued my interest as well. I recommend you question the captain of the guard, Merton Demrick. He's a friend of the Pathfinder Society and has indicated he would appreciate the help. It might be a good place to look.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackjoy wrote:
Kujo sat quietly, or at least as quietly as one can while sharpening his two-hander and his chakram. The blade called out with a grateful sckreeeeee each time its edge became sharper.

Kujo's muscles rippled under dark skin with each pass of the stone. Kujo was strong, really strong. Adorned in silver breastplate and peasants clothes. Apart from the weapons armor and an ornate belt about his waist, Kujo traveled rather light for a pathfinder. For a man with no hair, he left no doubts about his virility. However, the barbarian seemed a little under the weather as a blood filled vial hung about the man's neck.

@GM on this adventure, Kujo purchases a Blood Reservoir of Physical Prowess This requires that I put four Con points into the item which heal normally. Since these missions don't generally happen the next day, is it acceptable to have purchased the item at least two days prior to restore all Con damage?

Sounds great!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Solar Burner wrote:
Seelah listened to her compatriots as the speculated aloud. "Then I guess it cannot be helped, we will learn more when we get there. How soon until we leave? I have a couple of things to grab from my room, but I could be ready to go within the hour", she said flatly. Whatever they speculated here, it was likely to change as soon as they got there. The dark skinned woman shifted to sit up in her seat. She was prepared to leave as soon as all were ready.

The ship expects you within the hour. You should of course gather what you need, but tarry no more than you have to. Haste is our ally in this matter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The voyage up the Andoshen River is swift, and the group enjoys good weather until the last hour, when a light rain begins to fall. The Andares’s manor is not difficult to find, being one of several dozen stately homes still standing in the town as functional reminders of a past age’s nobility. Most of Sauerton appears well maintained, and although the seasonal workers who arrived a few months earlier to help pick the grapes have since departed, several presses are still set up in the town square—the residents await the return of fairer weather so they can resume their wine production.

As the group looks around the town, a halfling wearing light armor and a rain-spattered helmet hails, introducing himself as Captain Merton Demrick of the nation of Andoran, and inquires as to their business in the city.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N N
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
Kujo was not much of a talker. Kujo wasn't much of a listener either. Kujo has a reputation for doing more growling. A headband of humanoid teeth seemed to make the barbarian all the more menacing when he was growling. As the halfling approached, Kujo stayed in the back and did not growl.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaima approaches the halfling.

"Goodday Sir, we seek the consul Andares. We are sent on an important mission and have to see him first. You said your name was captain Merton Demrick? We would like to talk with you after we have talked with the mayor as well if you don't mind."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The halfling squints through the rain, An important mission eh? With the Mayor? Well I suppose you're here to look into Miss Thalia's disappearance. Awful thing, we've done our best to investigate, but had little luck.

Anyways I'm happy to escort you there, and I'll be equally happy to get our of this rain!


Waving the Pathfinders to follow, Demrick leads onward to the Andares Manor, cheerfully pointing out different features of the town along the way.

Ah, you see there, that was burnt down during the People's Revolt 44 years ago. And there's the Broken Cask Inn, famous all around Andoran for it's wine! Mind you it's famous because it's cheap and tastes like swill, but still, famous is famous!

The halfling chatters on until the group reaches a large two story mansion standing at the edge of a beautiful green and with a facade dominated by fine marble pillars. Moving to the side Merton waves everyone forward towards the door.

I imagine the mayor is in, as I doubt he'd want to out on a day like this.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As they walk through the town, Kadrun takes a good look around, trying to get a sense for the mood of the people. Are they nervous, friendly, comfortably off? Perception 1d20+8 = (10) + 8 = 18

She is somewhat disturbed by the contrast between the burnt-out ruins and cheap beer available to the citizens compared with the beautiful mansion belonging to the mayor, but nods politely to the halfling "Thanks for your help, Captain. Is there anything you can tell us before we talk to the mayor?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 475797. Jowolf
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (10) + 8 =
  • 18
  • Perception
  • Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:12 am
Cally Wood
msg tools
Seelah had walked on in silence, trying to take it all in. She had difficulties noticing small details and was trying to do her best to get a sense of the town's 'atmosphere'. When Kadrun asked the Captain for any other details of note, Seelah chimed in, "Yes Captain, anything of note would be helpful, especially things we might say or do that would upset the man. We're here to help, not cause any undo problems nor dishonor those who do not deserve it. Anything would be helpful."

Spoiler (click to reveal)
(Sense Motive about the Town's 'Atmosphere: Sense Motive 1d20+8 = (4) + 8 = 12

Diplomacy Check with the Captain to be friendly or helpful with us: Diplomacy 1d20+10 = (18) + 10 = 28 )
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 476249. Solar Burner
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (4) + 8 =
  • 12
  • Sense Motive
  • Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:14 am
  • [+]
  • 476250. Solar Burner
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (18) + 10 =
  • 28
  • Diplomacy
  • Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:15 am
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seelah has trouble getting a sense of the town, given that most inhabitants are inside protected from the rain, and the few you do see hustle to and fro, eager to get inside as well. And while there are a few burnt out buildings, these appear to be more like memorials than anything else, and the vast majority of the town appears to be in good shape.

Demrik nods and continues happily, Well, the mayor was understandably upset with his daughters disappearance. As far as I know he's received no demands for money or favor, and has little in the way of enemies.

Make no mistake though, Tercio Andaras is quite influential, as he's one of the consuls who administer Andoran’s military, and owner of the extremely successful Sauerton Red winery. He also has generally remained popular here in Sauerton despite the town suffering in recent years from a rash of attacks by wild beasts from the Verduran Forest.

But I suppose when you employ a large portion of the town directly or indirectly... well it's hard to draw criticism I suppose.

Anyways, let me introduce you. It'll give me a chance to get out of the rain at any rate.


Leading the group to the door of the manor, Demrick knocks loudly and is rewarded when the door is opened by a thin, hook-nosed woman with graying brown hair held in a tight bun. Looking around at the group she doesn't appear to notice the little Captain Demrick.

Before anyone can speak she shakes her head from side to side, "I'm very sorry, but the master of the house is not to be disturbed. Good day."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cally Wood
msg tools
Seelah, despite being wet and tired (full plate is heavy after all!) put on her best, most respectful voice quickly spoke up, "Um, excuse me Miss. We are sorry for the interruption, but we are Pathfinders from the south here on business to see the mayor about his daughter. If you would let us in out of the rain, all will be explained inside." The Paladin didn't often throw her weight around, but when she did she found it was best to do it in a respectful manner.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Diplomacy Check to get her to let us in out of the rain: Diplomacy Check on Servant 1d20+10 = (10) + 10 = 20
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 476671. Solar Burner
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (10) + 10 =
  • 20
  • Diplomacy Check on Servant
  • Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:32 am
N N
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
As Kujo approaches the group, he folds away a piece of paper that he was reading. Kujo seems to take notice of Seelah's manner with the servant.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kadrun isn't at her best in social situations, but wants to help and steps up beside Seelah "Yes, surely the Mayor is concerned about his daughter, we're here to help."

Diplomacy aid another 1d20 = (18) = 18
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 476693. Jowolf
  • 1d20 =
  • (18) =
  • 18
  • Diplomacy aid another
  • Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:08 am
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The woman appears to waver for a moment and then smiles and opens the door. Oh all right. Can't very well let you all stand out in the rain now can I. Come in, come in. You'll still have to wait in the parlor, Master Andares is meeting with a fellow consul member right now. OH! Captain Demrick, I didn't see you there!

Demrick smiles back at the old housekeeper. Hello Dorabeth. Which Consul member is Tercio meeting with?

Dorabeth hustles everyone into a small parlor and has them take a seat. Sandor Bryton was the man's name. Has something to do with the military. Been around here a few times he has.

After getting up and serving some tea, Dorabeth stands in front of the group and claps her hands excitedly.

But Pathfinders! My my this is just what we need. I just know you'll be able to find Thalia! In fact, I've a couple ideas of what happened myself you know...

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N N
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
When the moment presents itself, Kujo whispers into Seelah's ear. His voice is gruff and horse, threatening to turn Seelah's silks into wool should it continue for too long. One gets the impression Kujo has not spoken in months.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Paladin, I seek your help. My tongue is a pig's ear, but now I must convince the blue-bloods and leaders of this place to join Taldor in the war against the demons. Bryton may be such a man.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackjoy wrote:
When the moment presents itself, Kujo whispers into Seelah's ear. His voice is gruff and horse, threatening to turn Seelah's silks into wool should it continue for too long. One gets the impression Kujo has not spoken in months.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Paladin, I seek your help. My tongue is a pig's ear, but now I must convince the blue-bloods and leaders of this place to join Taldor in the war against the demons. Bryton may be such a man.

Know:Local or a diplomacy check to find out anything about Bryton.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] |