Lairs, Dens and Burrows
Heart of the Lizard
Atomic Heroes
The Stellar Beacon (Summer 2019)
Annihilation Rising (1E)
Bob, Lord of Evil Gamemaster Screen
Angmar: Land of the Witch King
Blue Rose (1st Edition)
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Mythic Game Master Emulator
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Lady Blackbird
Drowning and Falling
Catapult Run
Bob, Lord of Evil
Microscope
Savage Worlds Deluxe
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
209 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 

Defending the Earth: The UNIT Sourcebook» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Winters Light: Mission 1 - cancelled rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb

"The Winters Light" is on an ongoing mission in the pacific ocean next to South America. It's main mission is to monitor for alien activity both from space as searching for alien material in the ocean. The ship is under the command of Colonel Ernest Lachance.

The ship at the moment just left het Puerto Bayovar in the north of Peru and is sailing farther south. You just unloaded a bunch of fake containers from one of the cargo's to maintain your cover. Oliver Crimpton is manning the helm.

Feel free to state what is happening on the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Tyson
Australia
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Winters Light: Mission 1
Carla is studying for likely places lizardmen might be found in Paraguay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
When you got right down to it the ocean was pretty dull. A vast expanse of endless, boring, empty blue space, and she was stuck right on top of it. Sure the coast of Peru was somewhere off the port bow - jungles and who knows what else, but that was little more than a green smudge through her scope and all the less real for it. Transfer to Winter's Light had seemed like a promotion at first, god knows she'd asked for one enough times. She'd been a Corporal for well over a year now and she had plans, but the 'cargo ship' was beginning to seem more like a punishment, a means of getting her out of the way and teaching her a lesson at the same time.

She was fifty feet up, in the tiny crow's nest, feet up, scanning the horizon with a pair of binoculars. She had the best eyes on the ship and so the job fell to her more often than not. Blue. Empty. Dull. Ocean. Still blue, still empty still dull. She missed the endless excitement of the Tokyo crash teams, never knowing quite what was going to show up or how they would keep word from getting out in a city where everyone had a mobile phone or a camera of some sort. Twitter. her father never had to deal with that nonsense. Still, sea monsters. That'd be fun. Assuming they could find one. She slipped a pair of earphones in and turned up the volume, losing herself in Charlie Parker's plaintive wailing, her rifle cradled against her chest in a canvas bag to protect it from the elements. No, it wasn't all bad. Not by a long shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel H
Sweden
flag msg tools
Matt didnt know what to expect from this mission. A couple of month ago, he thought he had it all figured out. A couple of years in the navy, than of to some boring civilian job, get some money. A wife, some kids. A life? He had seen to many veterans get stuck in the system, till the days that ghe military was their only family, the only place they would be accepted and welcomed.
Then these suspicious men had turned up. Said they had been watching him. He got himself recruited to the U.N.I.T. and a whole new world opened up befor him. It made him feel important. It filled his life with purpose, something that had wittered away through the years.

Matt spends most of the days at the helm, scanning the horizon with his binoculars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
greyfedora
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Oliver Crimpton has been with UNIT for 3 years now, serving on the Winter's Light the entire time. Quickly rising to the rank of sergeant, he has gained the trust of the captain and often given command of the helm while the captain steps away. Although he doesn't have full access to the base, he knows this ship and what she can do.

Oliver mans the helm, leaving the port once again. This is the part that he loves. Open water ahead of him, The massive ship gliding through the ocean. Steady on course, he plots the destination given by command. The usual routine, dock and unload "cargo" while given intel on our next assignment. New vectors, same story. Discover and research any unusual readings. This time, however, we've taken on a few new crew members. Oliver doesn't know what to think yet about his new team.

"Sergeant Siemer, I know your eager for some action, but trust me, in my three years on board the most exciting thing I've encountered is casting off. Sure we've acquired some peculiar objects, but it's all fairly straight forward. They all get locked away in the labs or sealed in those containers for others to study. You've been with us for a couple of months now...tell me, what are you thoughts on the new recruits?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel H
Sweden
flag msg tools
Matt smiles and does his best to not look like a stereotypical marine.

Haha, no worries Sergeant. I might not be a paperpusher but Im sure not some triggerhappy jarhead neither. Im quite comfortable out on the big blue. I miss kayaking though.
Im glad to be a part of this, evan if I wont personally anticipate in any scientific breaktroughs. I admire the labguys on this vessel. We got some sharp people onboard. The truth is, I've never been that great at math or science in school, and computers is just not my cup of tea, to be honest. I cant say much about the rest of the crew however. They seem highly professional, I can say that. Our friend up in the tower for example has some experience fighting stuff Ive never could imagine and comes with a solid record. She seems pretty hardcore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well things have been quiet for a little while now. There was some junk found in the ocean, leftovers from old invasions or events but nothing major or even working. Suddenly however the scramble alarm is ringing.

The com unit jumps on:

"This is the captain speaking: Will crewmembers Duchamp, Schoenmaeker, Crimpton, Siemmer and Sato immedialty come to the conference room. Code orange."

As you know a call to the conference room means that it's time for a mission.

As you assemble in the conference room you notice that both Colonel Lachance as science officer Yukimura are present. When you are seated the colonel starts talking:.

Okay soldiers, we have a task for you. It seems that the deep space scanners from Yukimura have picked up a signal beaming from space to earth. The signal that was picked up was very faint but we where able to trace it to some mountainous terrain not to far inland. We have reported it to UNIT Command but since we are closest we are ordered to go and investigate this. This is not a covert operations so you are cleared to use militairy equipment. However we don't want a national dissaster, so keep us informed and we will Liasion with other parties. Miss Yukimura...

At this point the chief science officer takes the floor.

Yes, euhm, we don't really have a clue what it actually is. We just got a faint signal on the scanners. But since they seem to be very accurate it should be something, but it could be nothing, we don't really know. We can provide you approximate location of the origin or destination of the signal, we don't really know that either but it will give you an idea where to take a look at least. I will be sending Lt. Schoenmaker with you in case if it's some alien device or trapping or so that she can handle it.

The colonel looks around: "Are there any questions?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Tyson
Australia
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"How long ago did you detect it?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasumi raises her hand and waits to be acknowledged. Are we expecting resistance either at the LZ or at the objective sir?'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just noticed the signal this morning Lieutenant. It was just a brief blib on the scanners and nothing since then. But we are rather sure something is happening there, or it could of course be some false alarm.

Corporal we have no idea what you are to expect. As far as the landing zone there isn't a very clear area where you could land. I'm looking at sergeant Crimpton at finding a safe place to land. There is both vegetation and rocks where you guys are going so you will have to do a lot by foot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daleks stole my lunch box
France
Morbihan
flag msg tools
designer
Press 'X' to feel emotions.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Claire Duchamp is sitting in the back of the room, listening absently as she compiles a list of supplies for "unknown encounter, mountainous terrain, non-covert op" on her tablet.

Once she's done she raises her hand: "If you don't have any other information I'll go and check on the chopper prep. Since we don't know what to expect I'd like to make sure we have supplies for all possible situations on board. Remember that time when we ran out of batteries and food while exploring the Cretian Time Maze? I'd rather not go through that again."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nodding Kasumi continues. 'Orders when we find the source of the signal sir?'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel H
Sweden
flag msg tools
Matt couldnt take his eyes from her. Yukimura was in need of his help. His heart beating fast. It didnt matter i hell itself was waiting among the mountains. This was his chance to make an impression. He would not fail.

May I have look on the map Colonal?

Matt would like to study it, trying to memorise the suroundings and plan for rendezvous and secondary extraction points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The zone you will be working in will be the surrounding of the Cerro Mishahuanga, a mountain inland of peru.

The colonel shows the plans of the surrounding area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
greyfedora
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sergeant Oliver Crimpton-Pilot/driver
Oliver surveys the terrain and possible landing zones. "This will be tough, but I think our best odds of landing are here," he says pointing to an opening on the banks of a small river. "It's rocky but anywhere else we'd risk clipping he rudder or strirring up too much debris."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel H
Sweden
flag msg tools
Any risk of running into any locals? How far to the nearest settlement?

It was always a high priority for Matt to keep the civilian casualties at a minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Tyson
Australia
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Bring the radiation gear, boys and girls. Don't want you coming back glowing."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in those parts of the mountains and jungles it's hard to tell, but the main populated area is quit a bit further so you shouldn't meet up with a lot of people except perhaps some local tribe we don't really know a lot about. And if you find some incan gold, bring it back the colonel says joking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasumi nods, and makes a few notes. 'No more questions sir, ready to move out on your go.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's it if you don't have any questions left, you can move out and report back as soon if you can.

You will be using the Osprey, prepare for take off in 30 minutes.

So what gear do you wish to take along?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasumi grins. 'I'll take a Sniper Rifle sir, and some clips, assuming we're cleared for weapons? A pair of binoculars, night vision capable if possible? Standard survival pack and weather gear and maybe a sidearm? If we don't know what we're facing I want to cover my bases.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are cleared for a full militairy mission. You don't need to adress the colonel, I'm just making an index for myself to see what you have along to start of with and you can take most regular gear, but nothing to big or fancy of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Well, if you're making a list I'll add a couple of smoke grenades and a radio in case I'm nested away from the others. Maybe a nice cake too, if it's not too much trouble?'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Tyson
Australia
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'll definitely take the energy analysers and radiation detectors."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daleks stole my lunch box
France
Morbihan
flag msg tools
designer
Press 'X' to feel emotions.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Items on Claire's list of supplies:
- food and drink for three days for the whole team
- radio transmission gear for everyone
- medical supplies
- some explosives, you know, just in case
- power generator with enough fuel for three days of continuous use
- communication gear to access the ship's computing resources remotely
- camping gear (tents, shovels...)
- the usual set of scientific instruments (geiger counter...)
- her standard issue sidearm
- and as many tools as possible

She wants the supplies loaded so that if there is a need to secure the area for a long time the necessary gear is already available.

And yes, she's aware the deck hands hate her
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.