Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a Pathfinder Society game, using:

Pathfinder Society Scenario #4-24, Glories of the Past, Part 2: The Price of Friendship

The players:
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
Avatar
mbmb
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb



Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb




This is the in-character, in-game thread.

If you are just browsing this thread and have questions or want to get in on a sanctioned Society game, check out our guild here.


Link to the OOC thread, wherein PCs are stored.

What has gone before...



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep beneath the dwarven Sky Citadel Janderhoff, the Pathfinder Society recently discovered (courtesy of the heroes of our story) a stele that once contained a detailed map of the Inner Sea Region, including elaborate runes in the locations of the known Sky Citadels. Following a few experiments, the Society believes another such stele--hopefully one in even better condition--might exist in the dwarven ruins of Koldukar beneath the orc city of Urgir in the Hold of Belkzen.


The party has traveled a few days west towards Magnimar to file a report with Venture-Captain Heidmarch, when they are stopped on the trail by one they were coming to visit...

"Greetings, Pathfinders," Venture-Captain Canayven Heidmarch begins.

“Pathfinder agent Sandricaan already contacted the lodge in Magnimar with the news of your discovery, and my wife and I are interested in following up on this development as quickly as possible. We need to get you into Koldukar, the Sky Citadel that lies beneath the orc city of Urgir, deep in the Hold of Belkzen. Although Koldukar has existed for millennia, knowledge of the stele that must rest within its ruins is quite new. If the Pathfinder Society is to make the most of this discovery, we must act quickly."

He pauses to gauge his audience’s response before continuing, and realizes he's saying things the group already knows. Grinning, he continues:

"Marching to Urgir as you are would be an order just shy of a death sentence, and I want to ensure that you have sufficient intelligence to get in and out in one piece. Only one Pathfinder in recent history—Eando Kline—accomplished this task, and he’s not a resource that we can draw upon at this time. Kline traveled through Urglin, a small city made up largely of orcs in the eastern reaches of Varisia, and I have reason to believe he learned about a hidden passage into Koldukar that allowed him to avoid the worst of Urgir altogether. Once you learn where this passage is, I want you to meet with me two days’ travel southeast of Urglin. There we will assess exactly how to proceed.”

The venture-captain takes a deep breath as he surveys the terrain. “Let us discuss Urglin and its surroundings. As you may know, the Cinderlands are a hostile, brutal territory due to both the environment and the inhabitants. So long as you do not linger, the Shoanti are unlikely to give you trouble, but keep a careful eye out for the cinder cones, emberstorms, and many other dangers of the Cinderlands. Urglin itself is a very..."

Heidmarch pauses as if searching for a polite term "...brutal place that is more a repulsive scar than a true city. Orcs are the dominant species, and all others survive there at the orcs’ pleasure.

“You’re professionals, Pathfinders. Get in, find the necessary information, and ensure that any other risks you take are calculated ones. I have a few other tasks to take care of that will put me sevearl days' journey behind you. I know you can get this done without my oversight, however."


questions, comments, or know:whatever attempts?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have read about Eando's adventures. Do not recall too much though besides it being a great read.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Captain? How do you suggest we get there? Yes, as marching in isn't good idea?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The VC considers...

"Well, there are humans that live there, so it isn't uncommon to see other races come and go. It's just not always healthy to live there, as orcs are definitely in charge."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Captain mentions dangers, Daggert perks up. Hmm, cinder cones and emberstorms eh... Not sure I actually know what those are. In fact, never really heard of the cinderlands before. Anything you can tell us to prepare for the dangers.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bel frowns, sure that these damnable venture captains will never live up to Torch... Know Nature 1d20+3 = (11) + 3 = 14 and for shortcuts/secret paths, know: geo 1d20+3 = (7) + 3 = 10
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 471173. karpouzian
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (11) + 3 =
  • 14
  • Know Nature
  • Mon Dec 2, 2013 10:58 pm
  • [+]
  • 471174. karpouzian
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (7) + 3 =
  • 10
  • know: geo
  • Mon Dec 2, 2013 10:59 pm
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thekk grumbles at the thought of walking amongst orcs. "Dangerous business" he mutters under his breath.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
Avatar
mbmb
Displaying a relaxed smile, playing with his brand new amulet, Célestin says: How long do you think this trip through Orcland will take?

Oh, and what kinds of dangers do you think we should prepare ourselves against in those ruins?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flinder isn't to keen on all those dangers. Why can't it be something simple for once? Sigh, doing the right thing never meant doing it the easy way obviously.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VC Heidmarch nods, saying what sounds familiar to Bel already...

"Emberstorms? Well, it's a windstorm that blows by a volcano. Picks up the cinders and ash, like a burning duststorm, really. Tends to kill off the weak rather quickly.

"The cones are what the low hills in that area are called--they are really small volcanos. They tend to spit out nasty globs of molten rock from time to time. Needless to say, you don't want to be standing near one when it happens."


Bel is also aware that sometimes the molten globs, called locally "Sarenrae's Tears", can lie dormant where they land, the surface cooling enough to hold the lava in until disturbed, then it bursts like a most unpleasant party favor.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daggert nods, but seems considerably less enthusiastic upon hearing that the dangers are nothing more than mundane phenomenon. Ah, well then, yes we'll certainly have to be careful. I guess we should be getting on then?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After their meeting with Venture-Captain Heidmarch, the group adjusts their travel and head through Kaer Maga up the Yondabakari River and trek across the eastern edge of the Cinderlands--well out of the nasty areas--to arrive at the gates of Urglin.

Urglin--the entire city is a mess of bone, wood, leather, and crude stone with few structures rising more than 20 feet in height. Parts are forever being destroyed (either on purpose or from fighting nearby) and rebuilt in other places.

An orc city built upon another civilization’s ruins, it rests on 300 acres of barren land within the Cinderlands. Urglin’s citizens have shored up the city’s dilapidated structures with bone, leather, crude stone, and the occasional pieces of wood. The city boasts many taverns and flophouses that primarily cater to orcs and half-orcs, and are generally the most well-built (and well-used) structures in any neighborhood, based on what the group can see as they apporach.

Numerous bone-and-leather tents and yurts lie throughout the city’s five districts: Bonerattle, Oozefront, Pinkskin, Scabtown, and, Warmouth.

any preference on which district the group enters at? There are gates for each district along the outer walls (where the walls exist, anyway)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Now to find someone with the knowledge we seek, perhaps someone who has seen Kline, yes?"

Flinder speaks softly, intending to be heard by only his friends.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinkskin may be humans/humanoids.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daggert looks down at his flesh. Yes, Pinkskin looks like the gate for us. Hopefully we can find some friendly faces somewhere. I imagine most of the non-orcs hang out together, so hopefully we can fit in.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
Avatar
mbmb
Célestin nods at the mention of Pinkskin. The less time he'll spend in this area, the better.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Pinkskin it is then. Let's not dally...I'd rather not spend a second longer in this town than we have to."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The group heads to the northern gate, where the city’s smallest neighborhood lies between Bonerattle and Scabtown areas. Indeed, Pinkskin is home to Urglin’s non-orc population, including outcast Shoanti, roaming mercenaries, and those who’ve thrown in with the orcs. As a predominantly human district, it is the friendliest of the five to non-orcs—but only just so. Plenty of suscpicous glares are cast towards the group, but no more so than any other group, and no one makes eye contact with anyone else in the dusty streets.

Rough stalls selling the usual array of unusual wares lines the rough rubble street, and many seem built on top of the ruins of old buildings. Arguments, weeping, laughing, and fighting blend together in a noisy backdrop to everything going on.

To the south, the group can see that near the center of the city, a huge coliseum rises above the rest of city proudly, with many banners and...bodies?...hanging from poles.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"This doesn't look very inviting does it?"

A shiver runs down Flinder's back.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daggert claps Flinder on the back, perhaps a bit too enthusiastically. Nonsense! I'm sure there's plenty of folks here we can talk to. Besides, nothing wrong with a bit of danger eh!?

But ah, where should we start? Wander into a local tavern and ask around about this citadel, Coldcat or whatever it's called.


Daggert looks around for signs of a tavern, inn or some other establishment for visitors.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

There a few inns and taverns scattered around, varying wildly in quality and odds of getting a disease of some kind by being in there.

The group notices three likely candidates:

The Lucky Lad--an ironically named tavern that looks as though it could fall over if it weren't for the filth holding it together. Chronic drunks, drug addicts, and mercenaries who can't pay seem to be the preferred customers.

Belcher Brew--a tavern, of better quality than the Lucky Lad, packed with mostly humans from the lower merchant class or mercenaries recently paid.

The Velvet Dagger--Clearly kept for only the wealthy, well-off merchants, their servants and guards, mercenary Captains, and a few well-dressed others. There are guards at the doors, and it's clearly the best inn on the block.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I would assume the lucky lad would be the easiest place to get information, but I'm not in the mood for a fight just yet." Bel says, as if expecting a fight to happen.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Where would he have been....., shall we try the Brew, yes?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
Avatar
mbmb
"Perhaps we should separate and cover the three taverns. "
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |