Lairs, Dens and Burrows
Heart of the Lizard
Atomic Heroes
The Stellar Beacon (Summer 2019)
Annihilation Rising (1E)
Bob, Lord of Evil Gamemaster Screen
Angmar: Land of the Witch King
Blue Rose (1st Edition)
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Mythic Game Master Emulator
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Lady Blackbird
Drowning and Falling
Catapult Run
Bob, Lord of Evil
Microscope
Savage Worlds Deluxe
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
148 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: 2013 RPG GEEK 48-Hour RPG Contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RPGG_design_contest [+] 48hour_rpg_2013 [+] [View All]
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
PRESENTING THE 2013 RPG GEEK 48-Hour RPG Contest
I am delighted to announce the 2013 48-Hour RPG design competition. It's in the traditional format (details below if you've not heard of this sort of thing before) as used in this year's 24-Hour contest (2013 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs). If you participated in this contest, everything remains the same except an additional 24 hours to work.

There will be fabulous prizes for the three best entries, as voted for by the users! All entries will be added to the RPG Geek database, preserved for all time!

What's it all about?

The challenge is to design and produce a complete role-playing game in a single continuous 48 hour block of time. This is a strict time limit. As soon as you start, you have exactly 48 hours to do your work, and at the end of that time it's done and you should submit it.

There must be no advance preparation work. All of the work (designing a system, a setting, creating fiction, artwork, typesetting) must be done within the 48 hour block of time. (Wallaboo's Edit: In fact, to the extent possible, you should try to have no creative thoughts whatsoever regarding your entry until you've clicked the timer!)

It must be original work. Don't use anything you've worked on previously. And definitely don't use anyone else's work (which means you'll have to think up of your own system).

It must be all your own work. You must not get any help (whether that be design, editing, production, or artwork) from someone else. The sole exceptions to this are:
that you can use public domain art for your document Addendum:...which includes Creative Commons art
that you can include a small amount of public domain text for mood setting only (any quoted text must be properly attributed, and must not be a substantial portion of the entry's text)
that you may include this logo if you so desire (click on the image for other resolutions):

and that you may have a single play-test session to test your mechanics, provided that the session is kept within the 48 hour time-frame, and provided that you still do all work yourself thereafter.
By entering the contest, you consent to having your work loaded onto RPG Geek as a downloadable file. The preferred file format is PDF, but if you have other more creative ideas then that's probably fine too. If you can't create PDFs, send your document as is to the wallaboo (Iffix Y Santaph - Hey that's me!) and he'll convert it for you. In addition PLEASE SEND A FEW PARAGRAPHS ABOUT YOUR DESIGN WHEN YOU SUBMIT IT. This information will be placed in the details box of your RPG page.

Why would I subject myself to this?

(The Off-the-record wallaboo answer: Probably because you thought you were too wise to subject yourself to the last contest, but now feel as though you have been robbed of your geekness. As you should. )

More importantly, it's fun! It's an interesting challenge, and you're constrained to the same limits as everyone else. The time limit also ensures that you don't have to spend too much of your time on the project if you have a busy lifestyle.

There are also PRIZES for the top three winning entries, as voted for by you, the users of this site. The initial prize fund is 250 bag from my own earnings which will be split amongst the winners thusly:
125 for first place
84 for second place
42 for third place
(Yes, I, the broke wallaboo, have some ; shocking, I know. That's why I'm determined to throw another contest back to back with the last one; I must get rid of it somehow. But it's meager, and these designers deserve better!)

All tips to this post will be added to the prize fund, with the prizes remaining in proportion (so 1/2 of the collected pot will go to the first placed winner, 1/3 to the second placed winner, and 1/6 to the third placed winner).

Check the first reply to this post for the latest update on the prize fund.

Further, all entrants will receive the perk of being added to the database as RPG designers and producers, with all that entails (including the option to wear a "GAME DESIGNER" badge, and free microbadges as detailed here).

I will also pass on to the relevant entrants all gained for adding the game information to the database (typically 7 in total for the RPG and item submission, 1 for a new designer, and 1 each for relevant images).

All entrants (and the wallaboo for running the contest) will further receive an exclusive microbadge. This is available solely through this particular contest. Any future contests run here will have their own unique microbadges. Collect the set!

Timescales

The contest is open for entries through to December 20th. Send your completed entry by e-mail to Iffix Y Santaph at 48hourrpg@gmail.com. I'll hang on to them until the end of the entry period.

All entries received before the end of December 20, 2013 will be valid for entry into the contest, regardless of whether they have been fully completed or not (we appreciate that 48 hours is a very short space of time to create a full RPG). That gives you four full weekends to find the time.

When the entry period has closed, we'll create database objects for all the entries and ask the designers to upload their files to the appropriate entry for other users to access. (If you would like a specific block of text from your project to be added the the database entry, please include it in your submission e-mail.) The entire collection of PDF's will be grouped into one massive PDF for download by all until such time as the designers have submitted their files, so that no one is missed in this contest.

(More about the voting process will be determined with the December 20 deadline.)

Voting will be open for two full weeks, after which the results will be announced and the prizes distributed! Party on!

After the contest, you may decide that you want to take your work, polish it up, and make it into something greater. Go ahead! We'd love this contest to inspire you to design.

Eligibility for Entry

All registered users of the site (who are not a wallaboo or not a vote-counter named Stelio Passaris) are eligible to enter the contest. (NO!!! I'm going to miss out.) cry (Oh well, enjoy the 48-hours of sleep-deprivation without me.)

If you're not a user yet, but you'd like to enter, then sign up for an account! It's free and we don't ask any awkward questions! We're very friendly to new users, whether this is your first time here or you've been lurking for years.

Please: only one entry per person. If you're mad enough to make more than one, let me know which you would like to be considered for the competition.

For details of the 48-hour competition from two years ago, and all of the entries that were created, see: 2011 RPG Geek 48 Hour RPGs

For future updates and related posts for this competition, subscribe to this thread (you will also no doubt wish to subscribe to the voting thread at that time.)

DISCLAIMER: The majority of this post was plagiarized. Wallaboo's don't have as strict of laws on those things.

FOR DETAILS REGARDING SIDE-PRIZES OFFERED: 2013 48-Hour RPG Design Contest side-prize thread. (Post as desired.)

Current Participants:
Jacob Wood
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven desJardins

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joseph Hellar
msg tools
designer
Patrick McNary
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas Cladis
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Clayton Stine
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jamie Herbert
United States
Cedar Rapids
Ia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Conservation of Ninjutsu by Jacob Wood
Dungeons and Draperies by Steven desJardins
Shoebox by Sean Cox
Nouvelle Cuisine by Nicola Gambetti
Futhark by Mixu Lauronen
Silver Screen Western Showdown by Joseph Hellar
Air Pirates of Pex by Pat McNary
Time Agents by Steve Donohue
New Best Friend by Shawn McCarthy
Visitors and Visions by Nicholas Cladis
Shaken Martini by Clayton Stine
La Resistance by J. L. Herbert
The Space Around You by Caroline Berg
Cootie Catchers by Steffan O'sullivan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bag Current prizes:
1st Prize: 400
2nd Prize: 300
3rd Prize: 200
NEW! 4th Prize: 100

(NOTE TO SELF - DON'T FORGET YOUR OWN 300 GG.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're making it increasingly difficult to finish my NaNoWriMo attempt with these rpg writing contests I love so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ookayy... Now I know what I do on next Sunday and Monday.
Wait... I don't - yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shellito
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
designer
no, not the Hollister on the tee shirts. that place does not exist.
badge
Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
mbmbmbmbmb
I could barely find 24 hours...

We'll see if I can scrounge up 48.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"There must be no advance preparation work. All of the work (designing a system, a setting, creating fiction, artwork, typesetting) must be done within the 24 hour block of time. (Wallaboo's Edit: In fact, to the extent possible, you should try to have no creative thoughts whatsoever regarding your entry until you've clicked the timer!)"

Sorry--small edit there, I presume?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloody hell. Just as I happen to be off for most of the next two weeks as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no. Here we go again. goo

I already have an idea of some IP I'd like to file the serial numbers off of but I promise not to think about it anymore, especially not the treatment or mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very thankful that the deadline is post-November. I get a chance to finish my NaNo in style! (And behind, but...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably don't have a full 48-hours to work on this, but I'm starting now. If I don't do it over the next two days, I won't have the time to do this at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Munkwunk wrote:
I probably don't have a full 48-hours to work on this, but I'm starting now. If I don't do it over the next two days, I won't have the time to do this at all.

Good luck!

And thanks to all who have made typo corrections; as you may have realized, I attempted to copy from the 24 hour contest (the last 48 hour contest was far more complicated than I was willing to obligate anyone to design for), and I may have still made a few errors. If you see something that isn't quite right, feel free to send me a geekmail. Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also state that the conclusions we reached in the last contest should still apply here. (Same contest holder; not going to complicate the rules.)
I will post the names of the designers on the main post along with their design names in a spoiler tag.
I will also recommend that anyone who wishes to add a side-prize, do so separately. In fact, you can do so here. 2013 48-Hour RPG Design Contest side-prize thread. (Post as desired.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are the random elements? Didn't the last 48 hour comp have random elements??

Random design elements are awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
regency_rhi wrote:
Where are the random elements? Didn't the last 48 hour comp have random elements??

Here, Rhi, roll on this table three times, until you get three different results:

1. Romance
2. Beauty
3. Beast
4. Peril
5. Dulcinea
6. Lonely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm on a podcast! - www.playontarget.com
mbmbmbmbmb
regency_rhi wrote:

I was going to ask the same thing. If this one won't have the random elements will there be one later that has them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaklam wrote:
regency_rhi wrote:

I was going to ask the same thing. If this one won't have the random elements will there be one later that has them?

Do I have to do these for everyone? Here's yours, Brian:

1. Melissa
2. Knows
3. Best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better yet, if it's something you really want, create one in the second thread, and set up a side prize for games that use it. (I just didn't feel like the right guy to limit anyone's designs; if you have no desire to create a horror game and rolled cthulhu, you're in a mess and bow out gracefully, and that's not something I wanted. If you lose, it's not because you weren't willing to design; it's because your game got creamed by the competition.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
regency_rhi wrote:

Here, Rhi, roll on this table three times, until you get three different results:

1. Romance
2. Beauty
3. Beast
4. Peril
5. Dulcinea
6. Lonely

I can't help but feel there is a slight selection bias, shall we say, to this random table

Edit: I rolled an actual die on the coffee table as a joke with my husband, rolling "beast", "peril" and "lonely". After a few moments of laughter at avoiding the most romance-y ones, I got a glimmer of an idea... so I think my 48 hours has started. Darn it, I'm ALREADY sleep deprived thanks to night feedings.

On the other hand, I'm already sleep deprived so what have I got to lose...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven desJardins

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
Hmm. I wasn't planning to enter, but a title and concept came into my head, and I know which two RPGs I want to rip off re-read for inspiration. I've never designed a game before, but the worst that can happen is I don't finish by the deadline, which is 2:16 a.m. on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just added a side-prize for best Mashup. (Check it out to find out more.)
If you'd like to tell us what you have been challenged to mash up (just for kicks) please leave a note here so as not to clutter the other thread.

There's also one for Best Solo or 2 Player RPG with a Youtube demonstration.

This contest holder has determined that in fairness you may make your Youtube Demonstration after your 48 Hours is up, provided you submit the original design as created within 48 hours.

2013 48-Hour RPG Design Contest side-prize thread. (Post as desired.) I'm going to add this link permanently to the header.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I want to make a 2p/solo mashed and win all the gg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added a side bet for a small game with the stipulation that you must also post a recording of the game in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A strange discovery...
(Don't ask me whose page I was looking at.)
I checked out the microbadge gallery of a participant who created a 48 Hour RPG in the last 48 Hour contest. (Suffice it to say, that participant's design looks like he had a monkey help him out.) And I discovered that there was no microbadge for the 48 Hour contest. I could be wrong. If I am, there's the simple matter of recoloring the badge. If I am right, then we need to generate a 48-Hour RPG design contest badge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Submitted.

Also, not to be a spoilsport or anything, but don't side-prizes in a timed, single-entry contest sort of reward people who wait to start their designs until after the prizes have been created? I'm just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I also discovered there was no 48 hour microbadge. I wanted to put it in my badge line up to fill the row completely. Alas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.