RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: 2013 RPG GEEK 24-Hour RPG Contest: RESULTS!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
(Sorry, it took me like forever to find this picture of angry people with pitchforks.)
whistle

Ahem...

2013 RPG GEEK 24-Hour RPG Contest: RESULTS!!!

Dear fellow studiers of primates,

It gives me great joy and profound sadness to write this final dissertation of ape-ology.

I have been occupied for a number of reasons over the past few days, many of which aren’t actually true, but I will go into them anyway. (For the results of this contest, scroll down a ways.)

As a wallaboo, I needed a few days of mourning for the wealth I used to possess. (I am now geek-broke all over again.) In my continuous effort to find the universe’s greatest vacation spot (as we wallaboos are always on vacation) I settled on an almost perfect planet named Zeltrox III (Pronounced Iyiyiye, and not simply 3, as many humans might imagine. Yeah, like anyone else would name their planet Zeltrox.) A world of tremendous purple waterfalls and where the clouds are so low you can touch them, Zeltrox III failed in one vital issue; there is no internet here; the people are primitive; I impressed them when I ate with a spoon. (Okay, maybe none of that actually happened at all.)
Alternatively, I may have been feverish and came to the edge of my life; they had to inject Felian venom in me just to cure it; or I may have been out of it when the Felians attacked and tried to eat me. (Contrary to common belief, I am not the galaxy’s most favorite wallaboo.) That may or may not be true.
I was also doing a study in ape-ology, where I made a hypothesis that in three days-time, more people would complain about the lateness than actually voted. (There weren’t as many complaints as I thought; thank you for that.) Again, some, none, or perhaps (in a very rare case) all of the above may be true.
But whatever the case, I affirm that the following is definitely true:
1st Place: MOB RULES (400 ) by
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

2nd Place: AGENTS OF FIVE (300 ) by
Santa who?
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb

3rd Place: CASPAR & HENRY (200 ) by
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb

4th Place: DO NOT GO GENTLE (100 ) by
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

5th Place: Very honorable mention (and receiving this thumb’s-up emoticon): SEVER thumbsup
6th Place: Honorable mention: Little Folk
7th Place: Sort of honorable mention: Five Xing
8th Place: Definitely mentioned: Antlers
9th Place: Mentioned sort of: Far Gone Misadventure Game and Extra Edition
10th Place: (Now that you mention it.) whistle : PIGGIES
18th Place: (Stricken from the record; nonexistent) cHAos!

Congratulations to the winners!
- Wallaboo
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly we just wanted to make sure the wallaboo wasn't dead! Must have quite the fever because those are all really weird typos for "Adventurer" and "Troll" but I'll forgive it this time sauron

Congrats to all the winners and, as usual, all the participants. And big thanks to the wallaboo for putting all this together!

Edit 1: I'd totes appreciate rankings / comments on my game and feedback in the forum section under it! Likewise, I'll try to go through the list and add some of the jot notes I took in the rank / comments.

Edit 2: Had an honest to goodness chuckle during the group reading geekchat when someone pointed out to me that "Your game is going to piss simulationists right off." I expected that full well going in, writing a storygame and a micro one at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Attack roll!
mbmbmbmbmb

Woo-hoo!

So, I had the top three, but not in that order.

Congrats to all!

Note to self: Vow to crack the top ten next year, or never sleep again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Can't complain about 6th! okay, can grouse a bit, but not too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa who?
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Wow, I'm really surprised to have placed this time.

Even happier that the Wallaboo is okay.

Congratulations to everyone who entered. Even if your game was 18th you still finished ahead of dozens of geeks who didn't enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
...you still finished ahead of dozens of geeks who didn't enter.

Like me!

Congratulations to all the participants, and especially to all the winners!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did Far Gone not place(holder)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I'd like to make a request in behalf of all the designers. If you have anything to say about any design, (even if that design happens to be in 18th place), please send out a geek mail. Feedback, in a sense, means more than placing, and it's certainly more valuable than . If it's something that we can do to make our games more playable so that they are more enjoyable for our players, no doubt we'd love to hear that too. Thanks.
(Please, do not thumb this post, unless you plan to send at least one designer feedback for his game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was asked, and I really don't like to go too much into depth here, but I will share the top 4 so you can see the points.
1st Place - 39 points
2nd Place - 33 points
3rd Place - 31 points
4th Place - 30 points
With just the last vote, 2nd and 3rd place came out of a tie, and the gap between 4th and 3rd place got much closer. (Just one more vote could have made a major difference between 2nd and 4th place. And to be sure, if someone had voted in the last 3 days, I still would have counted that vote when I logged on today.) So your vote really does make a major difference in a competition like this. Please keep that in mind for future competitions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to all the winners!

Edit: congrats to all those the entered as well! Once I'll have more time in my hands, I'll read the all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
...not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to all participants!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to everyone but special congrats to the winners.
I really wish I'd had the time to enter this year but i'm glad I managed to read the entries and vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo! Fourth! My lucky number! And congrats to everyone! You know it is a good year when only one of your top four places and you still think "Yeah, I can see that" when you see the results.

Also, yay iffix is alright!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Halloween 2019
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done winners, competitors and adjudicators! I hope to have time to read them over the holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to all! There were good games outside the top three, also. I will definitely participate next time.

But before that, I will finish Antlers into real game.

EDIT: Corrected typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to all, and thanks to those who voted for mine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats everyone!

I didn't have time to enter this year, but with the quality games sitting in the top spots I suppose it would have just been a waste of my time anyway.

At least I voted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations guys, awesome creative work!!

And many thanks to Iffix for running the event this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shellito
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
designer
no, not the Hollister on the tee shirts. that place does not exist.
badge
Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of good stuff this year. Lame as it might sound, just entering is winning.

Good job folk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

No really, WOW!

Thank's so much everyone for the votes and more importantly the confidence boost that this means to me.

Game Design is something I've always dreamed of doing more regularly and possibly even professionally at some point in my life. Heck I've been dreaming that since I wrote a game called: Dark City back when I was like 13. I've always figured I didn't have the time for it though or well it wasn't worth spending the time on instead of doing other things, like actually playing games. Last years contest changed that.

I thought I really had something with The Diminutive RPG. I managed to write my first RPG, well my first as an adult and with what I thought was a bit of skill. I thought it was amazing. My friends really dug it and I will admit I was a bit disappointed with how it did last year. It was my baby. I ended up getting a lot of positive feedback after the fact though. Feedback that had me thinking I should try again. Heck I even got a mention on the PLOT podcast, even if they butchered my name

So then GameChef came up and I thought I would try to rock that. Wow what a disaster that was. I had all the time in the world but still managed to write Polarity: where there is no middle ground. in only a couple of days. For some reason I was still stuck in the 24 hour mentality. Polarity didn't go well. The first short review I got back pointed out that my entire system was pointless. Wow that hurt, most of all because it was right. Every future review pointed out the same thing, that my system did nothing, that it had no point. Wow I really botched this one.

After that I wasn't even planning on entering another contest. This one came up and I saw it and I read up on the rules this year and pretty much decided not to bother. Then Iffix geekmailed me about how much he wanted me to enter. He heaped on praise for last years entry and strongly suggested I enter this year. I was shocked by this. I had no idea that Diminutive, and through it I, had such fans. So I decided to enter.

It took me a long time to come up with this one this year. My original thought was to finally put down on paper something that's been bouncing around in my head for about a year now. (Note: it's something I have no system or anything for just a theme so I think it would have still filled the rules). The thing is that both Iffix and other fans (Lowell Francis comes to mind) have mentioned that the best part of Diminutive was the way that the mechanics matched the theme. I felt I needed to come up with something that similarly tied mechanics and theme together. One morning it just hit me, the concept for Mob Rules and well now the rest is history.

Thanks again everyone who voted for me, and for those who didn't thanks for taking the time to read through these awesome games and vote. Special thanks to Iffix for hosting this and Sdonohue for actually trying the game out and giving me some great feedback to include in a much needed revision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

Some of us would love to see more discussion of these games (and all the other designs from our contests). To that end, we announced an initiative this morning:

The 24/48 Hour RPG + RPGG Adventure Bounty Event! Play games, write reviews, earn GG!

Please take our bag! Note that the rewards are open to the creators as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls