Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
573 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [23] | 

Thornkeep» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PFS: Bearpaw's Thornkeep - The Accursed Halls - Table 2 [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Recruitment thread
OOC thread

This is a PFS sanctioned game, running through The Accursed Halls level in Thornkeep. For more information on Pathfinder Society Games on RPGG, check out our guild here.

Players:

Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
henry proctor
United Kingdom
Corfe Mullen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony Lindman
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb



Characters:

Character Player Class/Level Faction PFS #

Lapin Argent Brent Johnson Fighter 1 Silver Crusade 55886-12
Eliam sxmpxr Druid 1 Andoran 112892-1
Bitrina Ferrer polycrafty Fighter 1 XXXXX 62642-1
Zilfirin Cablammatic Jowolf Alchemist 1 Grand Lodge 73448-2
Skarvin Nekerra henry proctor Magus 1 Taldor 39272-2
Chrysanthemum Djoanze Escher13 Cleric 1 Taldor 50090-9


Nitty gritty

- Aim for one post a day. I may bot you through combat if you take a long time to reply. Obviously if you're unable to post for a time just let me know and we'll work around it, not a problem.
- For combat, I'll post maps via Google drive that everyone can access and edit.
- Thumb every post, so if your character has nothing to contribute to the current scene, I know that at least you're following along.
- Post your character statblock in this thread, and make sure to include your PFS number and faction. I'll get the IC thread up this week.
- Subscribe to this thread and the IC thread when it goes up!
- Most importantly, have fun!

IC posts:

- Descriptive text for your character actions in plain black.
- "Character speech" for what your character says in bold and in quotes, possibly in a different color for every player.
- Thoughts what your character is thinking, italicized.
- OOC (use [ ooc ] [ /ooc ] tags, comes out grey) for OOC questions and information that is directly relevant to what is going on in game.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Beneath Brokenhelm Hill and the weathered walls of Thornkeep lies an ancient maze of magic and madness. Once the workrooms and summoning chamber of a rebel Azlanti lord, these subterranean chambers were forgotten thousands of years ago after the eradication of the evil lord and his followers.

Over the centuries, adventurers have found their way into these twisting passages and magnificent chambers, only to discover that the fading magic of the ancient Azlanti still lingers here. The people of Thornkeep call this dungeon the Halls Under the Hill, but those heroes who have dared its depths know this place by a different name: the Accursed Halls.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You arrive at Venture-captain Drandle Dreng office, who had you awoken in the middle of the night. His office is a complete mess; unruly piles of paperwork lie everywhere, and it appears that somebody has ransacked his desk.

Drandle stares in your general direction, his eyes clouded by thick cataracts. He seems oblivious to the odd hour and lights a pipe as he begins speaking in a slow southern drawl once you're all in his office.

"Well Pathfinders..." as he stops to take a puff from his pipe, "Fortune is with us today. I've got a mission fer ya that doesn't involve any nasty demon business. Instead we'll be sendin' y'all to the River Kingdoms, to a little town called Thornkeep. Now you won't be spendin' much time in town for what we're really interested in is a scryin' pool in the 'Halls Under the Hill'."

Drandle stops speaking for a moment as he takes another puff from his pipe and pushes a stack of papers off his desk before picking one up, seemingly at random and continuing.

"Y'all are extra fortunate, as we have reliable intel on the danger's y'all gonna be facin'. The scryin' pool is guarded by..." Drandle takes a moment to review the sheet of paper in his hand, "...a door. Not just any door, but a magic door. Now here's what I want y'all to do; go to the Halls Under the Hill, secure the area between the entrance and the scryin' pool and figure how to get that door open. Y'all got it? Report to me as soon as this is done, and your career in the Society will know a great start. Oh, and for the love of Calistria's melons, don't get yourself killed!"

"Any normal expenses, food, lodgings, will be covered by the Society. Any questions?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry proctor
United Kingdom
Corfe Mullen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Skarvin is initially alarmed at the state of the room. Then upon realising that Dreng, might actually keep his office in this, disordered way, starts to frown.

"A door, I guess that could be a danger, depends on the door. I believe you said dangers though, any intel on these other dangers? Like what are we securing the entrance route against?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zilfirin looks sideways at the Venture Captain "Door? Doors are easy! Blow them up, problem solved!" The little gnome's trademark grin spreads across his face, then fades a little "Scrying pools aren't that exciting usually though... is there anything exciting about this one?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Lindman
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrysanthemum sits in a chair, playing with a hedgehog in his hand while a ferret in his lap tries to decide if anything on Dreng's desk looks worth running off with.

"Any chance we have a map of the area, maybe even some intel on the interior? Really, any information that would help us as we go in would be useful. Hey, stop that!"

The last comment is directed with a light swat at the ferret, as it selects a shiny item from the desk.

Jowolf wrote:
Zilfirin looks sideways at the Venture Captain "Door? Doors are easy! Blow them up, problem solved!" The little gnome's trademark grin spreads across his face, then fades a little "Scrying pools aren't that exciting usually though... is there anything exciting about this one?"
Hearing his fellow gnome, Chrys adds, "Explosions do have their uses, I'll give you that, but if we're inside a building, we should be careful what we blow up."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drandle looks up with a startled look on his face, as if he didn't actually expect anyone to ask questions. "Oh, you lot are still here? It's said the area is supposedly infested with goblins, but I'm sure you lot will do just fine. As to the interior, we can only guess at that, the last person to explore those ruins was the famed Pathfinder Mamor Pulken, but that was forty years ago."

The venture-captain shuffles through some papers, then adds, "Also, the fact that he never returned makes it somewhat hard to get accurate facts, you know how it is. As for that scrying pool, all speculations, but let's just say some papers have resurfaced as of late. Now then, off you go!"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapin, who had been standing just inside the door with his back against the wall looking from one speaker to another, is the first out the door. As soon as everyone else is out and Dreng's office has been left behind, he nearly explodes. "What in the nine hells of the Abyss was that? That's the poorest excuse for a mission briefing I've ever seen! Is that standard procedure around here? Just drag in random Pathfinders for a mission, tell them they're a team, and send them off with as little information as possible?"

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eliam

Standing aside with Kaly in the corner of the room, Eliam listens silently. Blowing things up, hmmm... Hopefully not another adventurer with tindertwigs for brains.

Leaning over, whispering to his cat So, Kaly, are you ready for this? I thought so, Thornkeep it will be then.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Lindman
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"As it happens, I have a cousin who is a Pathfinder, and I recall her mentioning something about this. Captain Dreng seems to be known for this in particular."

With a shrug Chrys pockets the hedgehog and settles the ferret on his shoulder. "Regardless, it is our assignment, so off we go. Just like old times, eh, Zilf? Wandering into strange places, getting into trouble, finding great adventure! Lily! Wake up, you silly beast!"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapin mutters something unintelligible under his breath.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Eliam grunts. He hopes to get on his way as soon as possible. Being with so many people at a time makes him a little uncomfortable.

So, anyone know how are we getting to Thornkeep?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Lindman
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, Dreng said he was 'sending' us ... I took that to mean we had passage secured ... but come to think of it, we didn't ask ..."

Chrys pokes his head back into Dreng's office and calls out, "Hey, Cap'n! How are we getting there?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zilfirin looks much more cheerful than the rest of the group "Weird briefing means we get surprises! This might end up being exciting after all!"

"Just like old times is right, Chrys... Remember when we found that cave, and I got stuck? Good times!"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit stands in the hall after the briefing, blinking stupidly and sleepily. Being woken up in the middle of the night has not put her at her best. She is an oddly sound sleeper for a warrior. Scrying pools and magic doors are entirely beyond her ken in any case.

The only part of the proceedings that perked her up was the mention of goblins. Goblins she knows.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Behind you, someone politely, but firmly, clears his throat. Turning around, a small man looks at you over the top of his horn-rimmed spectacles. "I'm Venture-captain Dreng's clerk, I believe this is what you want; your travel arrangements," he says dryly as he hands you a slim portfolio. Upon receiving these, you quickly make your way to the Absalom docks, where you board a surprisingly luxurious ship known as The Plump Seal. After several luxurious days the pleasure ship makes port at Casimir in Taldor, where you are quickly transferred to a heavily armed river barge, and another week later, you finally arrive at Echo Wood.

A narrow, overgrown trail across the road from Firla Parr's farm leads through a thick copse to a stepping-stone crossing of the Echo Stream. On the far side of the stream, under the beetling bluffs of Brokenhelm Hill, a wide crevice leads into the hillside and reveals a pair of enormous stone columns built into the rocky wall. The main entryway seems to have been cleared of obstacles.

As you move inside cautiously, you find yourselves in a large hall, held up by a number of carved columns. In the center of the floor, the flagstones have been pulled up, revealing a staircase leading downward. The stench of rotting meat hangs in the air.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

As the party enters the structure, Eliam looks around carefully for signs of activity. perception 1d20+10 = (15) + 10 = 25 Kaly seems uneasy, the stench of rotting meat seemingly overpowering her senses.

I wonder what could be causing that smell, or more importantly, who or what caused whatever is causing that smell? Smiling to himself, Eliam approaches the stairs, peering into the darkness. It looks like we go down.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 465181. sxmpxr
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (15) + 10 =
  • 25
  • perception
  • Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:19 am
Tony Lindman
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving civilization and heading toward their destination, Chrys wears his full armor kit, complete with the insignias of the Taldan army and his former unit, the 39th Wispil Cavalry; wrapped around it all are seven small colored scarves. Lily the lizard wears similar livery, though no armor. Buttercup the ferret is wearing a harness and tied onto Chrys' clothing by a length of twine, while Rose the hedgehog sleeps in his pocket.

As the group approaches Thornkeep, the gnome pauses for a moment. Carefully unwrapping the scarves, he says a quiet prayer to Sivina. As he does, his companions note that they are all woven together, and conceal a number of small but very sharp blades. Holding it reverently, he uses his knees to steer his mount.

A word causes the scarf to begin glowing once they enter the first chamber, sending a variety of colored sparkles around the room.

Ride bonus is +4, so DC5 to guide with knees is an automatic success. Default command for Lily is "defend", can take 10 to succeed. Cast light on scarf. Perception for Chris: Perception 1d20+4 = (1) + 4 = 5, Perception for Lily: 1d20+6 = (10) + 6 = 16
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 465184. Escher13
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (1) + 4 =
  • 5
  • Perception
  • Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:47 am
  • [+]
  • 465187. Escher13
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (10) + 6 =
  • 16
  • Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:49 am
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zilfirin spends most of the travel time tucked away in a corner fiddling with various vials of strange liquids. By the time they arrive, his backpack and pockets are bulging with his concoctions.

Craft alchemy take 10 to make 1 candlerod and 1 flask of alkali.
Prepared extracts for today: Bomber's Eye, Expeditious Retreat.
Prepared mutagen for today: Dexterity (penalises Wisdom)


The little gnome peers eagerly down the stairs "Down it is! I like hidden trapdoors, there are usually exciting things underneath."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapin says nothing, trying not to show how nervous he is about his first really dangerous outing. But he can't seem to stop fiddling with his sword hilt.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry proctor
United Kingdom
Corfe Mullen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Skarvin gives a polite nod to Chrys, then turns to focus ahead.

Perhaps from habit, perhaps from unadmitted nerves, Skarvin has his Tonfa out along the arm, in a habitual guard hold.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If she seemed awkward in town, and positively seasick on the boat, Bit seems to relax once they hit the open trail. By the time they have reached the hall, Bit is tingling with anticipation of pulling her sword and doing what she loves.

She casts her gaze eagerly towards the stairs, towards adventure! Perception 1d20 = (20) = 20
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 465732. polycrafty
  • 1d20 =
  • (20) =
  • 20
  • Perception
  • Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:32 pm
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Following the stairs down, you arrive in a small antechamber that sports a hallway to the south. Iron stakes driven into the flagstones pin the half-eaten carcass of a pig to the floor in the middle of the room. Two large centipedes clearly don't appreciate you trespassing on their territory, as they turn their venomous mandibles towards you!

Tracker Round 1:
>>(21) Lily [11/11]
>(20) Kaly [15/15]
(19) Centipedes
(18) Eliam [9/9]
(17) Skarvin [10/10]
(16) Chrysanthemum [8/8]
(13) Zilfirin [8/8]
(13) Lapin [13/13]
(11) Bitrina [13/13]


Lily and Kaly are up! Regarding the map, note that the scale is not accurate, and every square actually counts as 10 feet, meaning four people can occupy the same square on the map.


MAP

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 465783. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (10) + 3 =
  • 13
  • Zilfirin
  • Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:12 pm
  • [+]
  • 465784. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (10) + 3 =
  • 13
  • Lapin
  • Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:13 pm
  • [+]
  • 465785. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (13) + 4 =
  • 17
  • Skarvin
  • Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:13 pm
  • [+]
  • 465786. Bearpaw
  • 1d20 =
  • (18) =
  • 18
  • Eliam
  • Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:13 pm
  • [+]
  • 465787. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (17) + 3 =
  • 20
  • Kaly
  • Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:13 pm
  • [+]
  • 465788. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (8) + 3 =
  • 11
  • Bitrina
  • Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:14 pm
  • [+]
  • 465789. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (14) + 2 =
  • 16
  • Chrys
  • Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:14 pm
  • [+]
  • 465790. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (15) + 6 =
  • 21
  • Lily
  • Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:14 pm
  • [+]
  • 465791. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (17) + 2 =
  • 19
  • Centipedes
  • Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:14 pm
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eliam points to the centipede to his left as he touches the nape of Kaly's neck. Attack! (animal handling:1d20+7+4 = (18) + 7 + 4 = 29)

Kaly pounces forward. The long trip had been difficult on her. She attacked the creature with a ferocity that Eliam hadn't quite expected as if being freed from the cramped travelling conditions had excited her bloodlust.attack roll 1d20+2 = (2) + 2 = 4

damage: claw(1d4 = (4) = 4) claw(1d4 = (1) = 1) bite(1d6 = (2) = 2)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 465886. sxmpxr
  • 1d20+7+4 =
  • (18) + 7 + 4 =
  • 29
  • Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:48 am
  • [+]
  • 465887. sxmpxr
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (2) + 2 =
  • 4
  • attack roll
  • Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:51 am
  • [+]
  • 465888. sxmpxr
  • 1d4 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:51 am
  • [+]
  • 465889. sxmpxr
  • 1d4 =
  • (1) =
  • 1
  • Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:52 am
  • [+]
  • 465890. sxmpxr
  • 1d6 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:52 am
Tony Lindman
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lily is on a defend order, so will not act on her own unless attacked. Chrys will give a new order on his turn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [23] |