Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
1419 Posts
[1]  Prev «  53 , 54 , 55 , 56 , 57  | 

Labyrinth Lord» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [IC] D&D B4 The Lost City, Part 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dill leaves the dining room to go shopping. He buys from the store:
1 case of quarrels, silvered -- if available, price?
a dark, hooded cloak -- price?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Purplebroccoli wrote:
Dill leaves the dining room to go shopping. He buys from the store:
1 case of quarrels, silvered -- if available, price?
a dark, hooded cloak -- price?

One case of 10 silver-tipped quarrels is 15 gp.

The cloak is 3 sp.


The party wiles away its hours of recovery mostly at the inn, often meeting in the common room to debate what to do next.

Bram is adamant that he wants to strike out into the desert, but most of the others are reluctant to do so, and he is not so foolhardy to go on his own.

They all agree that they should take a break from delving the pyramid. Zargon is a threat that must one day be reckoned with, but not necessarily by them, and if them, definitely not now, not until they are stronger.

Henrietta listens politely during these discussions, though she taps her staff impatiently at the inability of her new comrades to make up their minds.

It is during one of these debates, an especially heated one, when an elf who had been listening speaks up from behind, no one having noticed him.

"I may have a way for you to avoid the pyramid, and Zargon himself, yet still fight his evil ways." The elf is dressed in the rainbow-colored robes of the Magi, behind him, and quite taller than him, his a human woman, muscled and heavily armored. She is dressed in the garb of the Maidens of Madura.

Catching Yennerois's eye, the elf says, "Ah, Brother Yennerois. When I had heard you had taken up company with a Brother of Gorm, I had not realized that there were so many others that made up your little band of adventurers. Though it seems you have limited your questing to this common room. How would you like a REAL quest.

After inquires from the party as to just what was a REAL quest, the elf introduces himself as Dulcer Vinevale, an envoy from the Magi of Usimagurus. He had been tasked with seeking out Yennerois and the rumored "Traveled Bram, Brother of Gorm." Those two, along with the maiden of Madura, were to enter the dreaded catacombs outside Cynidicia and seek out the rumored White Flower of the Dying Light.

"With samples of this flower, we believe that our wizards can create an antidote to the powerful hallucinatory drug that has so many Cynidicians in its thrall, says Dulcer. "We also saw this as a perfect opportunity for the three factions to work together against the Priests of Zargon, whom we believe are making and distributing the harmful drug. We had originally thought that there would be just one representative from each faction, but the rest of you are welcome to join such a worthy quest.

"I must warn: I could be dangerous. The lower catacombs have not been explored in quite some time. And there are rumors of the most horrid of creatures there. But a dangerous quest tis a small price to pay for the return of our populace to their normal, sober state.
5 
 Thumb up
0.32
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Inventory updated. Money deducted, items added. Thank you for the prices.

Dill stands, feeling quite rogueish in his new cloak. "I'm Dill. That muscled meat shield there is me brother Bill. Why don't you have a pint and tell us more. What kind of creatures do you reckon are down there?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maiden stands still behind the elf Magi, waiting to be introduced. While she has the bearing of one who is formidable there is a certain softness to the stance that speaks of an ease of self that most other Maidens you've met did not have.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bram frowns and stares at his boots for a bit, his hand resting lightly on the pommel of his sword.

I am going to be buried in this decrepit tomb and I will never see the sun again. Oh how I must have angered the gods in a past life...
6 
 Thumb up
0.55
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Row
United States
Culver City
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Dulcer!" Yenneiros says, his face brightening in a smile as he rises. "So good of you to join us." He shakes the newcomer's hand warmly.

After the introductions, he sits, soberly listening to Dulcer's offer of the new quest. "I am with you," he says.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cathro
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolo smiles broadly at the newcomers "A Magi and a Maiden! Why, that reminds me of a story my old Uncle Remmi used to tell me when I was a wee little tike. Well, a wee-er little-er than I am now at least" Rolo hops down off his chair and starts wandering around the table, looking as if he is intently trying to remember something. "It went, something like...let me see...Oh, there was definitely a fight involved in the story. I think he mentioned gold." Stopping in front of the two newcomers "Well, as you can see, it was really an exciting story. A quest to find a white flower? Sure, I'd be glad to accompany the two of you on a quest. Although, I don't think my Uncle's story had a white flower in it. Let's see, red blood, green dragon, golden statue, blue feathered owlbear, hmmm...nope no white flower."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"This seems like a worthy cause," says Henrietta. "I'll never consider Cynidicia my home, but a good cause is a good cause. I I'm a might tired of having my rump in one place. Time to get moving.

Dulcer nods, "Very good then. It seems like most of you are in agreement. This here is Yolana. She is as strong and as swift a warrior as you'll ever me. And most loyal to our cause. I have a map to entrance of the catacombs. I only wish I had some record of their interior.

"Prepare as you see fit, but please get started as soon as you can. We have word that the Priests of Zargon have gotten word of the flower's existance. And they'll want to find it and destroy it.

"I must go now. There is other Magi business to attend to. But I leave Yolana with you. Yennerois, be well, and do the Magi proud in this joint endeavor."


With this, Dulcer Vinevale quickly moves out of the common room. You all look at the map and see that the entrance to the catacombs is not too far from the city proper. It will take less than a half a day to get there after you have prepared.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yolana bows with a grace one would not expect from such a warrior. When she speaks her voice is deep yet soft and holds some modicrum of power.

"It is a pleasure to serve. And it is good to be needed for the wider good, too long have our peoples been enslaved to the fungi."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone doing anything else / buying anything in the city before you head to the catacombs?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CPiz wrote:
Is anyone doing anything else / buying anything in the city before you head to the catacombs?

Dill well go out into town and attempt to recruit any (not-hallucinating) muscle. Even 1 person would be enough. He's got a big pile of money (but not flashing it, obviously), so he'll pay whatever the going rate is for mercs, if any are available.

Also would like to recruit a torch-boy/torch-girl, no combat duty.

Also, do any of the temples offer holy water? If so, he will purchase a vial if the price is right.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Row
United States
Culver City
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yenneiros accompanies Dill.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cathro
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CPiz wrote:
Is anyone doing anything else / buying anything in the city before you head to the catacombs?

Rolo is ready as far as I can tell.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bram will wander about the shops, making sure that the crown is out of sight at all times. If he can find any sort of exotic items location (potions, magic items, etc) he will pop in and check on their inventory.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
h3athrow wrote:
Yenneiros accompanies Dill.

"Thanks for coming along mate! I'm really impressed how you swing that hammer."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Row
United States
Culver City
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Why thank you!" Yenneiros responds. "Your arrival, and your comrades', has really... well, spiced up my life here in Cynidicea." He pauses, thinking. "I knew that there had to be something beyond our walls, and now I think you could be the solution to some of the problems inside those walls."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for being patient. Basement repairs are done tomorrow. I am painting the walls myself, so my posting over the weekend and maybe into Monday may be spotty but, let's get this ball rolling again!

Dill is able to get some Holy Water from the Magi (standard price in LL rules).

On his way back in comes across a bright-eyed urchin of about 10. She is a human Cynidicean girl, with short cropped hair that looks like she cut herself. Her hands and sandaled feet are dirty, but she has managed to keep her face clean. She introduces herself as Larra, explaining that she is an orphan and asks for food.

Dill notes that she is stocky and exceptionally built for a girl of her age, and could probably not only carry a torch, but also a pack of gear if she needed to. He quickly arranges her employ, negotiating a fair price (I will check the LL rules to see what this is)

Finding mercenaries is a bit more difficult, but, after scouring the city, Dill reluctantly enters the seediest of taverns. The place is mostly filled with Cynidicians high on fungi. But eventually he sees two stoic dwarves at the bar, drinking mead.

When Dill engages them, they guffly introduce themselves as Flint and Blacky Redstone, and Dill is amazed at how exactly alike the twin brothers look. They are up for mercenary work, and seem to fear nothing, but they caution that they are mercenaries through and through. "We're not going with you to make friends or get all chummy," says Blacky. "We kill for money. That's all we're there to do. In addition to our fee, we also get a cut of the loot." (mercenary fee to come)

Bram looks for any sort of magic to buy, but it seems to be difficult to come by. The Magi have some potions they have made, but say the labor involved necessitates that they keep the potions for their own use.

Bram returns to the tavern dejected, and is further annoyed when he finds the the very group that just denied him has handily given two healing potions to own of their own, as Yennerious holds up two gleaming healing potions with a grin on his face.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dill subtracts 25 gp for the flask of holy water.

Dill introduces the prospective hires to the group.

"Larra here will carry torches for us. I'll pay 'er wages. Barkeep! Soup for the girl!"

"Flint and Blacky here will fight for us for a share of the loot. Straight up tinned mea--mercs they are. Mercs in armor. Ahem. I think we're more likely get loot if we don't get killed. Bram you've led us so far and if you don't approve, I'll pay them their day's wages and send them off."

Dill buys for the girl:
please correct my arithmetic, I believe some goods are higher price down here if they're normally wood, such as torches? Will deduct cost if everything seems kosher.
16 torches (6sp)
Flint n Steel(2gp)
Backpack (2gp)
Dagger (3gp) "...Just in case."
Padded Armor(4gp)
Blanket(5sp)
Waterskin (1gp)
3 trail rations (15sp) "...And don't eat em all right now!"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[ooc]Thank you a thousand times for bearing with me as I dealt with our flooded basement. It was definitely an IRL problem that I did not anticipate!

The new IC thread is here!:

[IC] D&D B4 The Lost City, Part 4: A Cure Within the Catacombs

Please be sure to SUBSCRIBE to it.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  53 , 54 , 55 , 56 , 57  |