Bryce Lynch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome to the PLEASUREDOME
badge

Long have you, the gentle readers of RPGGEEK, toiled in your own private campaigns. You have slaved away dazzling and amazing your friends, family, and coworkers with your stunning, clever and well designed adventures. In isolation you've been denied the glory of a wider audience and the ensuing fame that should rightfully be yours.

No More!

Welcome to the Bryce Lynch 2013 RPG Adventure Design Contest! Your job is to write the best dal'garn adventure you can and receive those accolades that you deserve!

The Rules Are:
*) The deadline is Dec 31, 2013, 11:59PM ET.
*) Mail me the adventure, or a link to it, @ bryce0lynch@ gmail.com
*) One SERIOUS entry per person. Go ahead and do a joke entry.
*) You need to enter your adventure in to the RPGGEEK database, also by the deadline. There's a series 'Bryce's 2013 Adventure Design Contest' that you should reference/link in your adventure db entry.
*) There are no system requirements! Obscure to your hearts content!
*) I'll make every attempt to declare a winner by Jan 14, 2014.

Prizes Include ...
*) 1,521.18 GeekGold!
*) $100 cash! And not weird Australian or Canadian dollars eight! Real American currency!
*) Random boardgames from my collection!
*) Random modules/supplements from my collection!
*) The prestigious title of "I sucked Less Than Everyone Else in 2013 Bryce Adventure Design Contest"
*) A box containing all the old inner cardboard tubes from toilet paper rolls that I happen to stumble upon between now and the Winner announcement.
*) An autographed XMAS family photo of Rusty Cthulhu, showing his stripper mother and wayward dad, all in front of their FL home.
*) A real live mix tape of Bryce's favorite songs.
*) Anything else I can think of ...

Helpful hints:
*) You can find some of my review standards on tenfootpole.org.
*) You MAY want to read reviews of some things I consider good ...
*) My review of the One Page Dungeon Contest, 2012, may also be informative.
*) Dance monkey, DANCE! I mean, uh ... you're writing to please me.

Get Cracking! Get get Cracking!

ps: A Dancing Monkey microbadge for all who enter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
EDIT:

Contest Over! Entries Read! Reviews Written! Post Contest Analysis ... NOW!

I was really disappointed with the context entires. Given the timeframes involved I really expected a different level of quality. Instead I got a bunch of adventures in which NO ONE SUCKED! Huzzah!

That's right. No. One. Sucked. I will not get to use my "Worst adventure EVAR?!" tag on my blog. Each and every adventure had a decent vision for what it was trying to do and, even if it didn't make it, I could generally see where they were going. I believe I could pick up each one, read it once, and run it at a con. To be sure, they could all do something better. Some started great but trailed off in the middle and quite a few tried to do some hand waving in certain aspects. Hand waving not allowed and you have been called on it.

You've all done something I have not: written and published an adventure. I know I get ranty at times but I have a lot respect for anyone who puts themselves out there for criticism. You all have more balls and imagination than I. I would hope that my comments are never taken as discouragement for the work. There's alot of hurdles to overcome in doing anything and I would not want to engage in anything that discourages people producing.

Caroline Berg wrote a d20 sci-fi adventure Amoebas in Space! Episode 23: My Spaceship for a Sandwich. This is a delightful little romp through a hotel/resort having issues. She does a great job of taking some classic elements, like angry guests, and attaching them to some bizarre Space Opera elements, like making everyone involved an Amoeba. She also tried some hand waving in certain important parts of the adventure. DENIED.

Karl Larsson wrote Dreams in the Cloud Castle. He wanted to communicate the FANTASTIC environment that Numenera embodies. I wanted to commit suicide while reading his adventure. But that was because of the movie I was watching, I promise! He started strong with a great environment and a strongly flavored temple. His cloud castle fell down on communicating his vision for the environment and in the strong dream/nightmare aspect. I wrote Karls review while a sad little boy sat in a snow storm. Also, Let the RIght One in was on Tv. Ouch! But my drama over it did catapult to #1 on The Hotness. Congrats Karl!

Phil Sbszine wrote Hive of the Giant Bees. This is a charming old school adventure full of weirdness and would be perfectly at home in any hex crawl. Given the importance of the native village Phil could have beefed up his NPC's a bit, and been a little clearer on the bee hive proper. IE: the walls and chambers.

Simon Fairweather wrote The Missing of Cloud Bluff, a fantasy adventure. While a bit unorganized and having a few elements I loathe, he did a great job on his encounters. Many of them were great little unique set ups that provide a wide deal of variety.

Mixu Lauronen wrote a Call of Cthulhu adventure The Possession. The village and social aspect of it was well done and it had a decent CoC vibe. Again, the organization could have been better and the beginning of the end game could have been clearer.

Alex Schröder write a fantasy adventure To Rob A Witch. This one page adventure packs the full punch that one would expect from Alex. Great NPC's, great little encounters, all delivered in the "expanded crib notes" format that a one-page dungeon provides for. Good outline of a good adventure.

Pete Douglas wrote a fantasy adventure The Six-Thousand Steps. It was full of bizarre reprobate townsfolk, good social possibilities, great environment to adventure in and nice challenges to overcome. It's also part 1 of 2. You better finish it you SOB!

Nicholas Coriz wrote a fantasy adventure called The Tower of Madness. He got this to me in time for the contest but it is still struggling its way through the database addition, which I would pretty much be a dick to ding him for. It's got some decent flavor in the town and set up and some decent imagery in the adventure. It also tries to get away with some hand-waving. DENIED!

I'd like to give a special shout out to a couple of folks who went above & beyond in the art department. This had no impact on my reviews, but I did find them charming. Pete has a great side-view of Middenhell and the Monastery in his adventure. Alex's art that supplements his one-page adds a lot to the adventure. Cloud Bluff has a great hand-drawn map in it with lots of old school charm. Amoebas in Space has one of the greatest covers of all time, rivaling the Wizards Mutants Lazer Pistols covers. Hive of the Giant Bees has not only a great cover but also a great illustration of a bee-man shaman.

I'd like to also call out Karl for his layout. He did a great "2-column plus sidebar" layout that made his adventure quite easy to follow. When you compare reading his adventure to some of the others that just used a flat file it really showed by columns+margins are great. I've added "work up a standard adventure temple format to my ToDo list. [And this falls in to that 'dont want to discourage people' thing I mentioned earlier. Flat file is better than nothing.]

On to the prizes! In no particular order:

Tower of Madness wins 180GG and a random module from my collection! Yeah you! You also get a Dancing Monkey microbadge and a special autographed toilet paper roll that declares "I tried my best!"

The Possession wins 180GG and a random module from my collection! Yeah you! You also get a Dancing Monkey microbadge and a special autographed toilet paper roll that declares "I tried my best!"

Dreams in the Cloud Castle wins 180GG and a random module from my collection! Yeah you! You also get a Dancing Monkey microbadge and a special autographed toilet paper roll that declares "I tried my best!"

The Missing of Cloud Bluff wins 180GG and a random module from my collection! Yeah you! You also get a Dancing Monkey microbadge and a special autographed toilet paper roll that declares "I tried my best!"

Amoeba's in Space! wins 180GG and a random module from my collection! Yeah you! You also get a Dancing Monkey microbadge and a special autographed toilet paper roll that declares "I tried my best!"

Hive of the Giant Bees wins 180GG and a random module from my collection! Yeah you! You also get a Dancing Monkey microbadge and a special autographed toilet paper roll that declares "I tried my best!" oh, and all the rest of the empty toilet paper rolls.

To Rob a Witch wins 180GG and a random module from my collection! Yeah you! You also get a Dancing Monkey microbadge and a special autographed toilet paper roll that declares "I tried my best!" You also win a real live mix-tape containing all of my favorite songs!

The Six-Thousand Steps wins 261GG and a random module from my collection! Yeah you! You also get a Dancing Monkey microbadge and a special autographed toilet paper roll that declares "I tried my best!"
You also win $100 CASH, AMERICAN MONEY and the VERY prestigious title of "I sucked Less Than Everyone Else in 2013 Bryce Adventure Design Contest" YEAH! YOU ARE WINNER!

I need addresses from all of you so I can mail out your prizes!

Congratulations One & All!

1-2-3-4 I declare a Flame War!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Absolutely. Is there a system requirement?

I think there should be a dancing monkey microbadge for everyone who enters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
Absolutely. Is there a system requirement?

I think there should be a dancing monkey microbadge for everyone who enters.
It says in the rules:

Quote:
*) There are no system requirements! Obscure to your hearts content!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yup, I edited after the fact. I also adjusted the GG down by 500 to allow me to get a badge designed and paid out to the participants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can add some GG in the prize pool. What was your initial amount of GG in the prize pool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... if I participate, nobody else will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixula wrote:
Hmm... if I participate, nobody else will.

Me too! That puts us in a weird conundrum...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Just to be clear, no system requirment means I can write for any game? Not that it must be usable with "any" game?

So, I can write for Trail of Cthulhu for instance, if I so wish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
karlkrlarsson wrote:
Just to be clear, no system requirment means I can write for any game? Not that it must be usable with "any" game?

So, I can write for Trail of Cthulhu for instance, if I so wish?

You sure can!

I make no guarantees on how I will receive said adventure though. While I am not particularly inclined to hate anything (except maybe story games) I do have a fondness for Fantasy & Post-Apoc. That doesn't mean, though, I'm going to slam a Cthulhu adventure Just Because.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Kattvippa wrote:
I can add some GG in the prize pool. What was your initial amount of GG in the prize pool?

1000, so I lowered it by 500 to pay for the badges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
Brofist
badge
I have eaten the plums that were in the icebox
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

Bryce, get yourself in a supply of these before you read my entry. My shiz is gonna be poignant, you gonna be weepin' buckets at the sweetness of the pithy colour and the outre treasures.

Fo'shiz! mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bryce. Is there any limit on the size of the adventure, number of pages, wordcount, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Absolutely not! I welcome your 1-sentence adventure OR your War & Peace adventure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, good...a long deadline. Plenty of time to think and work on it between class assignments and finals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh man, I am so torn between entering a legit adventure, or purposefully trying to do one that throws in all of Bryce's most hated cliches.

"Upon entering the single 1000-foot hallway that comprises the entirety of the dungeon, the party will pass through a portal that disenchants all magical items and spells relating to divination or movement. Furthermore, due to the malign aura of the evil carnival parked above, treat all attempts to turn undead as though the undead were three categories higher on the turning chart. If the party makes it to the end of the hallway, they will be rewarded with a bounty of ten +2 shortswords."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
Brofist
badge
I have eaten the plums that were in the icebox
mbmbmbmbmb
bryce0lynch wrote:
I welcome your War & Peace adventure!
Bryce Didn't Write wrote:
... because I will savage it like a pack of dingos chowing down on a newborn baby casually tossed into their kennel. Mwhahahahaha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
"Upon entering the single 1000-foot hallway that comprises the entirety of the dungeon, the party will pass through a portal that disenchants all magical items and spells relating to divination or movement. Furthermore, due to the malign aura of the evil carnival parked above, treat all attempts to turn undead as though the undead were three categories higher on the turning chart. If the party makes it to the end of the hallway, they will be rewarded with a bounty of ten +2 shortswords."
Don't forget the three-page read-aloud boxed text introduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I've just missed being able to do the 24hour RPG contest due to being too busy, so now I can enter this one instead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryce0lynch wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

The badges that you want the participants to have? I'm thinking the badges should not be purchased, but handed out, like in all the other contests

Or did I completely misunderstand something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Kattvippa wrote:
bryce0lynch wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

The badges that you want the participants to have? I'm thinking the badges should not be purchased, but handed out, like in all the other contests

Or did I completely misunderstand something?

There is a move afoot to prevent people from creating and awarding their own badges. The League of Extraordinary Heroscapers just celebrated their fifth anniversary and everyone had to purchase their own badge.

I guess if this was an official contest, the rules would be different (or maybe they are on the RPGG side anyhow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
There is a move afoot to prevent people from creating and awarding their own badges. The League of Extraordinary Heroscapers just celebrated their fifth anniversary and everyone had to purchase their own badge.

I guess if this was an official contest, the rules would be different (or maybe they are on the RPGG side anyhow).
I know that Skippen (BGG Microbadge Admin) has reduced the number of awarded badges he's approved to cut down some of them. He said there was beginning to be awarded badges to all kinds of silly things.

Now, Dave's the Microbadge Admin at RPGG and it's completely up to Dave to decide. So far he hasn't been against any of the awarded badges and I don't think an awarded badge for a contest is a silly one. It's well justified, but let's see what he says
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We should definitely have a microbadge designed for this and we should definitely give it out for free (award).

Do you want to know a secret to making something official here on RPG Geek?

Simply declare it so!

So welcome to the Official Bryce's 2013 Adventure Design Contest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
mbmbmbmbmb
vosarnath wrote:
dysjunct wrote:
Don't forget the three-page read-aloud boxed text introduction.

And there is not enough completely irrelevant, verbose, backstory that the players/PCs will never ever have a chance to discover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We're up to 1,200 in GG as prizes, thanks to a large Jonna donation and Dave's official designation!

Thanks All!

EDIT: And a large donation from Echohawk! Yeah!
EDIT: And from gmonk! Kickass!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |