Subject: Virtuacon '13 - Welcome to the Grid! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Greetings Programs! Welcome to Virtuacon '13.

Self-dubbed as the Best 3 Days in Virtual Gaming we've got an incredible weekend of gaming, contests and events on tap. And all of this gaming takes place from the comfort of your own home. Gaming hours are from 16:00 (UTC) Friday, October 18th until 22:00 (UTC) Sunday, October 20th. We're excited to offer true face-to-face gaming with friends from all corners of the world. In recent years, VoIP, electronic map tools and social networks have evolved and allow role-play gaming to be highly functional through the digital medium. While Virtuacon isn't the first to offer a full convention experience, we hope to expand the boundaries. This is our convention and I'm damn proud of it!

This is the One Thread to Rule Them All. I'm not allowing comments on this thread - it's an index to all things Virtuacon and the organizers will keep it updated as new events occur. In short, you should subscribe to (or at least keep an eye on) this thread as your road-map to our big 3 day event. If you have something you want added to this official thread, please geekmail myself and copy Kattvippa (when you create your geekmail, put wavemotion,kattvippa in the To: line to copy both of us... as Jonna and I are in different time-zones, this is your best chance of getting your link into the official stream).

Before we start posting the official events below, we've got some people to thank. First up is our generous sponsors. This includes amazing folks from Evil Hat, DriveThruRPG, Roll20, Tremorworks, Heroic Maps, Engine Publishing, VSCA Publishing, The Geek Industrial Complex and BGG LLC (thanks Aldie!). All tolled, we gathered more than $2000 in prize pool donations. Amazing generosity from our extended community!

Next up are the Game Masters who took the time to list and run adventures for this weekend. We had some awful attrition with some GMs dropping due to real-life circumstances, but those remaining are top-notch and really deserve our thanks. Obviously, without GMs, we can't have gaming this weekend. Everyone who has the special red Virtuacon GM Microbadge mb should be hugged on site. Be sure to thank your GM after your game is complete on our Virtuacon Discussion Thread. For the few games that are not full, you can also join the Virtuacon G+ Community to grab a last-minute seat and check the signup geeklist for vacancies

Big thanks to the contest creators for Virtuacon. We're fortunate that some truly creative-types dwell on the Geek and we've been blessed with some great contest ideas which will run throughout the weekend. Those who ran such events were given the special yellow Virtuacon Contest Creator mb microbadge.

Shout out to all those who helped organize the speaking panels for the weekend. Moderators were hard to come by - and several of you really stepped up to the plate. Simon, Lowell, Alex, Rich, George and company... solid work! We have all of the speaking panels listed on our Virtuacon G+ Community and we hope you attend some great talks this weekend.

Next up are the artists who helped create the selection of banners and images for the event. The Grid theme was really well captured by Miska, Ville, Iffix, Sarah and Geert.

Those of us organizing and running the event would like to thank all the willing players who have shown up for the weekend. We know you could be doing a lot of things with your time - that you would spend some of your time-off with us is heartwarming and makes us proud to be part of this community. Everyone who is participating should be rocking a stunning Virtuacon '13 animated glitch micro mb (if you don't already have this micro, just contact me and I'll get it assigned to you). For those of you luck enough to be selected during the weekend as champions, you will also receive our Virtuacon Champions badge mb which makes you eligible for our prize pool.

Last but not least are the organizers of the event. You'll recognize them by their green Virtuacon organizer badge mb and they deserve much thanks from the community for their efforts leading up to the event. We've likened putting on this event to the herding of cats - and there have been frustrating moments. But you guys really came through. Wear your green badges proudly. Of special note is Jacob for getting the Speaking Panels organized and Jonna for handling, well, everything and then bit more besides. Without you guys, Virtuacon doesn't happen.

If you aren't up and running on our Virtuacon '13 G+ Community please join up. So much of the virtual part of this event happens via Hangouts and you'll want to be part of the action.

And with that... Welcome to the Grid!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First up are some virtual places which will be running all weekend long.

We've got a traditional Virtuacon Discussion and Banter Thread. It's over in the "off topic" area of RPG Geek so feel free to post whatever you like. This is the official discussion thread here on the Geek. Talk about your experiences for the event and be sure to thank your GM over there!

Virtuacon '13 - Official Discussion and Banter Thread

And we've got a live Google+ Hangout where you can pop in and say hello in person to your fellow game adventurers. If you drop by and nobody else is in the tavern, stick around a bit and see who shows up! And maybe, just maybe, an Elf might show up with some prizes every so often.

The Silver Unicorn - The Official Hangout Tavern of Virtuacon

You can use either place above to look for or recruit for pick-up games. Or use the G+ Community Virtuacon Pickup Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And what would a convention be without contests? Probably, conventional. But we're anything but. So we have a strong lineup of contests for you to participate in this weekend.

VirtuaTRON - The Grid

Virtuacon Fantasy Crossword

Find my dwarven brothers! CLOSED!

BRAVE SIR KNIGHT Tavern Cryptogram

Riddle of the 4 Keys

Virtuacon Vocabyrinth #1

Tales from the Virtual Crypt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Virtuacon's very own 24-hour RPG Writing contest. It starts now (well, you get a bonus hour if you're reading this before 16:00 UTC on Friday)

Undead Wyrm Riders of the Geekpocalipse Horror Adventure Challenge!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got some great speaking panels coming up. These are listed on Google Hangouts. When you visit the hangout event page (links below), it should automagically show you the event time in your local time-zone. So no time-math guessing required!

Friday Talks:

Kickstarters and Publishing with Fred Hicks - Fred sits down for a chat on Kickstarters and Publishing and everythign in-between. Live Q&A Welcome!

Game Design Process - An award-winning panel of game designers as they break down the steps of how they make role-playing games happen. Live Q&A Welcome!

Saturday Talks:

Applying Gamification to Other Industries -
Join Jay Little and Cavin DeJordy as they explore how to apply game theory beyond the gaming industry. Find ways to use elements of gaming in your workplace and field.

Old-School Sensibilities with Tim Kask and Ernie Gygax - Join two legends of our hobby as they discuss old-school sensibilities in the digital era.

Accessibility in Gaming - Join Jacob Wood and Russell Collins for a discussion about Accessibility in Gaming. We'll talk a lot about what it means to produce games for a wider audience and provide some tips on how to make your games more accessible

Self Publishing - Join Johnn Four, Richard S. Hetley, and Jason Pitre for an insightful chat about self-publishing.

How to be a Better Player - We consider how players can improve their experience and that of everyone else at the table. Featuring Jay Little (FFG), Brie Sheldon (Gaming as Women), and Filamena Young (WW, Machine Age). We may consider recent lists on the topic, the difference between self-driven and imposed play, and what 'better' might mean to different people. Live Q&A Welcome!

Roleplaying in the Digital Age - We consider how new digital tools have changed our gaming and roleplaying. What challenges face gamers who shift to playing online? How can rpg companies thrive in this new arena? Does the digital era make player easier or harder? Featuring Andrew Goenner (Play on Target , Time Heroes), Steve Sigety (Kaijuville), and moderator Lowell Francis (Age of Ravens, Play on Target). Live Q&A Welcome!

How to Handle Difficult Players - From rules-lawyers to bullies- the issue of bad players and how to deal with them comes up in rpg discussions again and again. How do we find useful solutions beyond "just don't play with them"? What kinds of problems are more difficult than others? Can bad play be a useful signal to the GM? Featuring Andrew Goenner (Play on Target , Time Heroes), Steve Sigety (Kaijuville), Sherri Stewart (Age of Ravens), and Filamena Young (WW, Machine Age).

Fitness & Gaming with Paizo's Patrick Renie - Level up your muscles and make that time at the game table count! If you've ever dreamed of having an 18 in Strength or just want to look as sexy as your character, this seminar will give you all the tools you need to make sure you roll a natural 20 on your next fitness check.

Managing the Playtesting Process - You've got your game prepped enough for others to give it a spin, you've released it to the wild for playtesting... Now what? Join our panelists as they talk through the art of managing the playtesting process. Live Q&A Welcome!

Sunday Talks:

RPGs with Kids - Join Eloy Lasanta and Andrew Goenner as we talk about role playing games with kids!

How to Hire Artists -
Liz Danforth (Magic the Gathering, Deluxe Tunnels & Trolls, MERP), Eloy Lasanta (Third Eye Games), and Redd Cohen (Wyrd Miniatures) give hints and tips on best practice.

Worldbuilding - Chris Tregenza (6d6) and Paul Baldowski (Paranoia, Maelstrom) share their experiences.

Pathfinder Society - Ask me Anything with Paizo's John Compton - Join John as he fields questions about all things Pathfinder Society (PFS)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since some people have been asking about UTC (which is how we coordinate all time-zones for our gaming).

1. Google Hangouts Events will automatically show in your local time-zone. No time-zone math needed.

For other events, you can convert your time-zone to UTC using:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Or, more simply, use the UTC clock which shows the current time in UTC:

http://time.is/UTC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keith started to build a Geeklist of all the "on-air" panels thus far:

http://rpggeek.com/geeklist/164095/virtuacon-13-on-air-panel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone created an Unofficial contest for Virtuacon. Cool!

Virtuacon - "An Above Average Night in the Woods" contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just 10 hours of convention left! Take advantage of the last minute gaming - and be sure to check out the contests mentioned above - some awesome microbadges to be had and plenty of prizes left!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's over! We had 321 gamers show for the "live" portions of the event and probably another 50 or so for just the contests.

An amazing 3 days. Please be sure to check out the

Virtuacon '13 - Official Discussion and Banter Thread

For final comments and to thank your GMs, fellow con-goers and generally celebrate.

And we'll leave the contests up a bit longer - until Tuesday Evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the last bit of cleanup... prizes!

Event Champions go here to claim their prizes:

Virtuacon '13 - Official Prize Pool Thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jules gathered the games that were On-Air:

19 October 2013: How did your RPG session(s) go at Virtuacon 2013?

And Keith compiled all the panels:

VirtuaCon '13 - "On-Air" Panels

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls