Subject: PFS - Bearpaw's 1-39: The Citadel of Flame [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2013 [+] [View All]
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
mbmbmbmbmb
Recruitment thread
OOC thread

This is a PFS sanctioned game, running through Pathfinder Society Scenario 1-39: The Citadel of Flame. For more information on Pathfinder Society Games on RPGG, check out our guild here.

Players:

Dominique Huysmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb

Characters:

Character Player Class/Level Faction PFS #

Balakin Stormfeather allyse Wizard 1 Osirion 77969-5
Sandurel Brent Johnson Barbarian 1 Qadira 55886-8
[article=][/article] bulldog93 XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX-X
Grask GazPAge Barbarian 2 Andoran 79056-2
Whippoorwill karpouzian Cleric 1 XXXXX 68635-10
Olivia d'Esire dirtybacon Rogue 1 XXXXX 106548-3

Nitty gritty

- Aim for one post a day. I may bot you through combat if you take a long time to reply. Obviously if you're unable to post for a time just let me know and we'll work around it, not a problem.
- For combat, I'll post maps via Google drive that everyone can access and edit.
- Thumb every post, so if your character has nothing to contribute to the current scene, I know that at least you're following along.
- Post your character statblock in this thread, and make sure to include your PFS number and faction. I'll get the IC thread up this week.
- Subscribe to this thread and the IC thread when it goes up!
- Most importantly, have fun!

IC posts:

- Descriptive text for your character actions in plain black.
- "Character speech" for what your character says in bold and in quotes, possibly in a different color for every player.
- Thoughts what your character is thinking, italicized.
- OOC (use [ ooc ] [ /ooc ] tags, comes out grey) for OOC questions and information that is directly relevant to what is going on in game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venture-Captain Dennel Hamshanks ignored all pretense of pleasantries as he pounded into the meeting room in the Grand Lodge in Absalom. "Never time to do it right, is there? Gorum see us through this, then."

He grunted loudly and leveled his glare at the entire room. "Ever been to Qadira? Religion is almost a fad down there, with new cults springing up like weeds and getting crushed just as quickly. It has been that way for centuries."

"But some make a mark—on Qadira or in the Chronicles. Three centuries ago, the archdevil Moloch, preaching surrender to the desert heat, suddenly became the rage. Qadirans walked into the desert just to die just as if the heat was their paradise. The most devout sought out the hidden Citadel of Flame, where a fearsome bull-headed idol of Moloch judged them and sent the worthy to Malebolge, the sixth layer of Hell. No surprise that Sarenrae’s priests launched a mighty crusade to demolish the citadel. After two weeks, a great sandstorm swallowed the expedition—and, it seemed, the citadel and its idol. Nothing more was heard from either."

"Until ten days ago, that is. Sandstorms regularly scour the Qadiran highlands, and this time they emptied an entire valley of dunes. Poking out of that valley, visible only to those soaring above—such as a flying Pathfinder wizard—was the lofty spire of a fortress: the Citadel of Flame, presumably."

"Hopefully we are the first to learn about its reappearance and we need to act fast. The Decemvirate doesn’t expect any trouble, so they’re sending you. But I do expect trouble—who knows what’s infesting that citadel? Get in there fast and find that idol—it could be the key to the entire cult. It’s likely statue-sized, maybe as big as me, and should have a bull’s head on it. And for Gorum’s sake be careful. Your ship leaves in two hours."

You will leave Absalom and pass through Sedeq, the slave- and spice-capital of Qadira on your journey there, so you'll have the chance to purchase any equipment you might need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Grask been on wrong end of evil cult before. Grask pity any fools who get in his way"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
An unusually weathered elf in desert robes chuckles. "But what do we do once we've found the statue? Are you expecting us to take it home with us? Or just knock it to pieces?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hamshanks stares blankly at the elf for a moment, before he composes himself and answers, "I'm sure I don't need to remind you that one of the primary goals of the Pathfinder Society is the retrieval of artifacts and the acquisition of knowledge, something we'd be hard pressed to achieve if our agents smashed the things we send them out for, rather than bring them back. You seem like a strapping young lad, I'm sure you'll find a way."

He pauses as he sits down with a sigh. "That said, destroying the thing would offcourse be preferable over leaving a potentially dangerous item out there for Gorum knows who to get their grubby paws on, but only in the event that you can't retrieve it. I'm confident you'll choose to do the right thing," he says, stressing those last two words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Huysmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Is there a time limit for us? And do you know what we can expect there for enemy's?" Balakin asks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Grask cracks the knuckles on his huge gnarled hand.

"Grask good at carrying heavy things. Grask bring back statue!"

He rubs one of his tusks.

"Grask spent many months in desert. We must bring lots of water, many die if no water."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"How far through desert is castle? Can you show us on map?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandurel grins at Grask. "I like your plan, sir! You carry the statue!" He chuckles again. "I think it's been well over two centuries since someone called me a young lad, and I'm not sure anyone has ever called me 'strapping' before. You on the other hand..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
"Carrying heavy things is certainly a job for a man," Olivia says, making sure that everyone can tell just how bored she is. "I do hope there is something a little more worthwhile then some stupid doll."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"My secretary will provide you with everything you need regarding your travel arrangements. Check in with him before you leave," Hamshanks answers, motioning towards the door with clear intent.

I also recommend everyone double checks that they have at least some sort of ranged weapon handy, what with the flying demons on the cover. ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
well I was planning in buying a bow after the cloak, so will switch that around if you're ok with me using your hint so blatantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Huysmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well lets go to his secretary then." Balakin says to the others. "The faster we go the faster we are on our way to the citadel of flame."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm ready to get on with this. I expect that the travel arrangements will be adequate for someone as refined as myself."
Olivia Feigns a yawn, and idly checks the string of her crossbow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandurel winks at Olivia. "I'm sure you'll love the desert! I hear it's just like a spa!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting your travel arrangements from the venture-captain's clerk, a swift sea voyage sees you to Sedeq, a Qadiran settlement located south of the Zho Mountains. Asking around in the city gives you no new information beyond what Hamshanks already told you, though in Sedeq the faithful of Sarenrae spit on the sand whenever they speak of the Moloch cult.

After a tiring trek through the endless Qadiran dunes, the sun beats down on a maze of red slickstone, delicate arches and towering columns called hoodoos dotting the landscape. Somewhere within this expanse lies the Citadel of Flame and within, the idol of Moloch.

The path descends through a maze of cliffs, opening into a slot canyon of smooth red stone surrounded by towering hoodoos. At the far side, two hoodoos carved into enormous bull-headed men leer down on the canyon, while those nearby look like stylized flames. To either side, the canyon walls rise steeply in a series of rough ledges to the clifftops above. Brass doors on a massive wall of baked gray mud can be seen through an arch at the far side of the canyon.

Everyone gets a Perception or Survival check, and a Knowledge (planes) check (if trained).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandurel Perception 1d20+7 = (13) + 7 = 20, Knowledge (Planes) 1d20+4 = (11) + 4 = 15

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 450514. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (13) + 7 =
  • Perception
  • Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:49 pm
  • [+]
  • 450515. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (11) + 4 =
  • Knowledge (Planes)
  • Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:49 pm
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
Olivia Perception Check: 1d20+5 = (6) + 5 = 11
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 450520. dirtybacon
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (6) + 5 =
  • Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:57 pm
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandurel notices some faint scorch marks criscrossing the valley floor, and he realizes there must be fire elementals nearby...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandurel says, "Stay alert, folks! We've got fire elementals around here!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whippoorwill per 1d20+2 = (6) + 2 = 8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 450537. karpouzian
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (6) + 2 =
  • Whippoorwill per
  • Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:53 pm
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Grask perception 1d20+6 = (13) + 6 = 19

Grask looks around warily, and draws his wicked, notched blade.

"Usually works best if everybody stays behind Grask."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 450744. GazPAge
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (13) + 6 =
  • Grask perception
  • Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:09 am
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the group moves into the canyon and Sandurel shouts out a warning, two fire elementals quickly move from out behind two of the hoodoos, one to your left, and one to your right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 451080. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (10) + 8 =
  • Balakin initiative
  • Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 pm
  • [+]
  • 451081. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (19) + 2 =
  • Sandurel initiative
  • Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:14 pm
  • [+]
  • 451082. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (15) + 4 =
  • Grask initiative
  • [+]
  • 451083. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (16) + 3 =
  • Whippoorwill initiative
  • [+]
  • 451084. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (20) + 2 =
  • Olivia initiative
  • [+]
  • 451085. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (4) + 5 =
  • Fire elemental initiative
  • Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:16 pm
  • [+]
  • 451086. Bearpaw
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (20) + 2 =
  • Owl initiative
  • Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:19 pm
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tracker Round 1:
>>(22) Cadence [11/11]
>(22) Olivia [13/13]
>(21) Sandurel [14/14]
>(19) Grask [25/25]
>(19) Whippoorwill [10/10]
>(18) Balakin [8/8]
(9) Fire elementals

Everyone is up! Squares marked with a triangle are difficult terrain, squares marked with an H are the hoodoos, and provide cover. The knowledge check was enough to know that fire elementals are immune to fire, and vulnerable to cold.

MAP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Grask flies into a rage and charges the fire elemental in front of him.

To hit 1d20+7+2+2 = (10) + 7 + 2 + 2 = 21
Power attack damage 2d6+12 = (1 + 1) + 12 = 14
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 451101. GazPAge
  • 1d20+7+2+2 =
  • (10) + 7 + 2 + 2 =
  • To hit
  • Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:48 pm