Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
266 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 5-02: The Wardstone Patrol» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: UE: 5-02 Wardtsone Patrol (IC) Table 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2013 [+] [View All]
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Following their latest exploits in Varisia, the Pathfinders find themselves hustled off towards Mendev. Mendev's Pathfinder lodge in the capital city of Nerosyan is housed within Starrise Spire, a defensive tower in he outer wall whose pinnacle glows with celestial light that shines out like a beacon, simultaneously giving comfort to Nerosyan's defenders and acting as a warning to any who might wish the city harm.

Venture-Captain Jorsal of Lauterbury calls a short meeting on a covered balcony overlooking the city. A middle-aged Mwangi man with greying hair, he closes the door to the spire's interior and takes a seat in one of the set-up camp chairs, gesturing for his guests to do the same.

"We Pathfinders of Mendev," he states, making a sweeping hand gesture that encompasses everyone present, [b]"have our own agendas, but these must sometimes give way to the greater need: the protection of this land and its people from the horrors that dwell in the Worldwound.

We are here by the grace of her majesty, Queen Galfrey of Mendev. Without her support, we would surely be run out of town by Hulrun's more fervent followers. Our agreement with her states that all Pathfinders are required to volunteer some of their time in the defense of the realm. As relative newcomers, I've recommended you to take part in a minor military mission under the command of a veteran crusader named Sir Ilivan of Erages. Although he is not a Pathfinder, you would be wise to follow his advice, as he has been fighting the Abyssal spawn longer than some of you have been alive. I expect you will give hiim the respect he deserve."


 
Venture-Captain Jorsal stands and opens the heavy wooden door leading back into the lodge, revealing a tall half-elven man clad in heavy plate armor, wearing a red tabard typical of the Mendevian Crusaders, and carrying a cavalry helmet in his left hand. He gives a professional nod to Jorsal before striding to the front of the group, surveying everyone with poorly disguised disappointment.

"Pathfinders," he barks in quick staccato without further preamble, "our mission is simple. The recent attacks on the wardstones have compromised our defenses, and the enemy presses its advantage. We have received word of attacks on Fort Portolmaeus to the north, but the crusader leadership suspects that other parts of the line may have been breached as well. We will proceed to Fort Portolmaeus tomorrow morning on horseback to assess the daamge, using the passphrase 'That the Black Prince might be redeemed' to permit us entry. On the way there, we will scout for enemy movements and other signs of demon activity. Once we have completed our assessment, we are to return to Nerosyan and you will be relieved of your obligations to the Crown. Do you have any questions?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shabakh blinks. "Horseback," he says.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Olhas steps forward and addresses Sir Ilivan with respect. "I would like to say that it is an honor and a privilege for those of us in the Silver Crusade to do whatever we can to aid in the defense against the foul demons who seek to overrun our land. I look forward to joining on this assignment, and to learning all you have to teach about fighting these unholy creatures.

Are our orders to scout only, or might we engage the enemy should we find ourselves in position to do so?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seelah bows slightly to the Captain, then to the crusader. "It will be an honour to join with the crusade against this threat to us all, Sir Ilivan, my sword is at your service. I am concerned at your mention of recent attacks on the Wardstones - how many have there been? In what strength?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
Brother Olhas steps forward and addresses Sir Ilivan with respect. "I would like to say that it is an honor and a privilege for those of us in the Silver Crusade to do whatever we can to aid in the defense against the foul demons who seek to overrun our land. I look forward to joining on this assignment, and to learning all you have to teach about fighting these unholy creatures.

Are our orders to scout only, or might we engage the enemy should we find ourselves in position to do so?"

Sir Ilivan steps up to answer the question. "That will depend on the circumstances. Our main goal is to scout, but slain demons are always a welcome addition."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowolf wrote:
Seelah bows slightly to the Captain, then to the crusader. "It will be an honour to join with the crusade against this threat to us all, Sir Ilivan, my sword is at your service. I am concerned at your mention of recent attacks on the Wardstones - how many have there been? In what strength?"

"Reports of attacks on wardstones come in almost daily. The attacks range in size, from a handful to a gaggle. We have not seen any large forces come against them. Yet. Since the last major attack, the demonic armies have retreated into the Worldwoun'ds interior. Therefore, most of the attacks have been by minor demons; most likely sent to test the current efficacy of the wardstones. Demons such as dretches, brimoraks, and schirs."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brent Johnson wrote:
Shabakh blinks. "Horseback," he says.



The Venture-Captain nods once, taking Shabakh's word as a question. "Yes. The Mendevian Crown has granted each of you the use of a light, non-combat trained horse, or pony; along with a saddle, bit and bridle, and saddlebags filled with two days of feed. If you wish for something more, you must purchase it yourself."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unknown Ediology wrote:
The Venture-Captain nods once, taking Shabakh's word as a question. "Yes. The Mendevian Crown has granted each of you the use of a light, non-combat trained horse, or pony; along with a saddle, bit and bridle, and saddlebags filled with two days of feed. If you wish for something more, you must purchase it yourself."
Shabakh blinks again. "It will do, I'm sure. I don't know how to fight on horseback anyway. In fact..." He hesitates. "I don't really know how to ride. Horses don't like me much."

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaer looks around and studies his companions closely. He hopes that everyone is up to the task. Demons? He shivers involuntarily. Too bad Bones had to be left behind as property of the Blakros Museum. Bones would be really handy for this mission.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As the room goes quiet once more, Venture-Captain Jorsal looks over the assembled agents. "Any more questions? if not, then I suggest you move quickly. Sir Ilivan will meet you by the gate."

Any other questions? I'll move this along a bit later, regardless.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Olhas nods and smiles. "I take it from the horse's feed that this is not expected to take more than two days? Does everyone have adequate provisions for that time, and perhaps a little extra?" he asks, looking at each of his companions in turn.

If everyone else is ready, he strides out to join Sir Ilivan.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A proud woman stands listening to the venture-captain, clad in fearsome looking black full-plate armor, her red curls dropping down to her shoulders. Under her arm she clutches a horned helm with four eye slots, and her hand grips a long glaive, covered in intricate runes.

As Sir Ilivan enters, Linarra stands to attention and greets him with a soldier's salute. "No questions sir. If we encounter any of these demons, they will surely feel the sting of our arms," the woman says, tapping the handle of her glaive on the floor once.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearpaw wrote:
A proud woman stands listening to the venture-captain, clad in fearsome looking black full-plate armor, her red curls dropping down to her shoulders. Under her arm she clutches a horned helm with four eye slots, and her hand grips a long glaive, covered in intricate runes.

As Sir Ilivan enters, Linarra stands to attention and greets him with a soldier's salute. "No questions sir. If we encounter any of these demons, they will surely feel the sting of our arms," the woman says, tapping the handle of her glaive on the floor once.

Sir Ilivan gives a soft chuckle accompanied by a shake of his head. "Be careful what you wish for, and what you boast of. The Worldwound has been known to make many a Crusader a liar. Now, let us carry on! Time is wasting."

Sir Ilivan seems to be a no-nonsense, veteran combat officer. As he gives his commands, he turns and begins marching back towwards the stairs to descend, expecting the others to follow his orders.


FYI - Don't forget, this scenario is important to those in the Cheliax, Sczarni, and Silver Crusade factions. Make sure you've read up on some of the goals, and feel free to message me with any questions. I will give you forewarning, some factions *cough*cheliax*cough* aren't as straightforward as you would hope.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Pathfinders all assembled at the gate, they find their horses saddled and waiting for them. Sir Ilivan expertly swings up into his own saddle and waits a moment for the Pathfinders to do the same before wheeling his mount around and leading them out, into the countryside. The patrol moves along the River Road, a normally well-used thoroughfare that follows the eastern bank of the West Sellen River. The path remains within sight of the river for the entire first leg of the journey.

As the group rides, their eyes kept at the ready, Sir Ilivan idly begins to speak with the Pathfinders. [b][color=green]"So, tell me of your past experiences? Have you been much war, or is this your first?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shabakh shifts uncomfortably on his mount, which seems a little small for his bulk. "No war," he says.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Linarra mounts the horse slowly and steadily, so as not to tip over to the other side. At Ilivan's question, she answers, slightly muffled through her helmet, "Not as such, but I received military training in Westcrown's regidottari, under Durotas Strikis. She was a rather unpleasant woman, but the position was among the best paid and most prestigious in all of Westcrown's dottari. I guess I just wanted something more meaningful," she concludes.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Olhas slowly and awkwardly clambers on top of the horse. He doesn't so much guide it as give it free rein to follow the other mounts.

"While I have been in many battles, I have not fought in an actual war. I have sent many undead to their final reward, and dispatched quite a few monsters. I have only encountered one demon so far, and it was trapped within a summoning circle. We were able to banish it without any direct contact, so I have not had any real experience fighting demons as of yet."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaer laughs. "Wars? Does spending two tours of duty in the Blakros Museum count?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seelah nods slowly from atop her mount "War... yes. I follow Iomedae's lead to wherever my sword can work for good. Seeing the battle of the Red Hail outside the walls of Solku set me on my path as a paladin."

As they ride, she periodically casts Detect Evil, alert for anything unusual to the west toward the Worldwound.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Tell me, Sir Ilivan, how is the perimeter between the forts maintained? Do you patrol between them often?" Linarra inquires.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Ilivan nods as he listens to the others. He sighs quietly as he speaks. "Well, for those who haven't seen war, you'll soon get a taste out here. I warn you, it isn't pretty. May find yourself doing things you'll regret."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearpaw wrote:
"Tell me, Sir Ilivan, how is the perimeter between the forts maintained? Do you patrol between them often?" Linarra inquires.

"Since the fall of the wardstone, we send out frequent patrols to check the perimeter. The frequency usually helps keep us abreast of what is occurring, but we can't be everywhere at once."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After riding for a few miles, Sir Ilivan begins to speak to the group once more. "Up ahead is Bedis. It used to be a small Mendevian fishing and farming village, until about 40 years ago, when the increase in demon attacks forced its inhabitants to relocate. Now its used as a rest stop for riders. But, it has also been used by the enemy as a staging area." As he speaks, Sir Ilivan turns off the River Road onto a small, overgrown path that cuts through drooping evergreens. After a few trots along the path, he dismounts and ties his mare to a tree, motioning for the Pathfinders to do the same.

Pointing to the top of a nearby hill, Sir Ilivin replies, "If we climb up the top of that hill, crawling for the last part, it would give us a decent vantage point to observe the town. "
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Olhas nods and prays softly, "May Sarenrae soften our footsteps and blind the eyes of our enemies to our presence." He lays a hand on each of the group in turn before following Sir Ilivin up the hill.

Guidance on anyone who wants it!

Stealth: 1d20-2+1 = (18) - 2 + 1 = 17
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 443926. anoirtrou
  • 1d20-2+1 =
  • (18) - 2 + 1 =
  • 17
  • Stealth:
  • Wed Oct 9, 2013 2:41 am
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shabakh nods his thanks to Brother Olhas and proceeds on up.

Stealth 1d20+6+1 = (9) + 6 + 1 = 16

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 443951. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+6+1 =
  • (9) + 6 + 1 =
  • 16
  • Stealth
  • Wed Oct 9, 2013 4:30 am
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] |