RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: 2013 RPG GEEK 24-Hour RPG Contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Announcing the 2013 RPG Geek 24-Hour RPG Contest!

I am delighted (with permission from Stelio, of course) to announce the 2013 RPG design competition. It's a 24-hour RPG contest, in the traditional format (details below if you've not heard of this sort of thing before) as used in last year's contest (2012 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs). If you remember last year's, everything remains the same.

There will be fabulous prizes for the three best entries, as voted for by the users! All entries will be added to the RPG Geek database, preserved for all time!

What's it all about?

The challenge is to design and produce a complete role-playing game in a single continuous 24 hour block of time. This is a strict time limit. As soon as you start, you have exactly 24 hours to do your work, and at the end of that time it's done and you should submit it.

There must be no advance preparation work. All of the work (designing a system, a setting, creating fiction, artwork, typesetting) must be done within the 24 hour block of time. (Wallaboo's Edit: In fact, to the extent possible, you should try to have no creative thoughts whatsoever regarding your entry until you've clicked the timer!)

It must be original work. Don't use anything you've worked on previously. And definitely don't use anyone else's work (which means you'll have to think up of your own system).

It must be all your own work. You must not get any help (whether that be design, editing, production, or artwork) from someone else. The sole exceptions to this are:
that you can use public domain art for your document Addendum:...which includes Creative Commons art
that you can include a small amount of public domain text for mood setting only (any quoted text must be properly attributed, and must not be a substantial portion of the entry's text)
and that you may include this logo if you so desire (click on the image for other resolutions):

By entering the contest, you consent to having your work loaded onto RPG Geek as a downloadable file. The preferred file format is PDF, but if you have other more creative ideas then that's probably fine too. If you can't create PDFs, send your document as is to the wallaboo (Iffix Y Santaph - Hey that's me!) and he'll convert it for you.

Why would I subject myself to this?

(The Off-the-record wallaboo answer: Probably because your creative juices keep you sleep-deprived on occasion anyway.)

More importantly, it's fun! It's an interesting challenge, and you're constrained to the same limits as everyone else. The time limit also ensures that you don't have to spend too much of your time on the project if you have a busy lifestyle.

There are also PRIZES for the top three winning entries, as voted for by you, the users of this site. The initial prize fund is 60 bag from my own earnings which will be split amongst the winners thusly:
30 for first place
20 for second place
10 for third place
(Yes, I, the broke wallaboo, have some ; shocking, I know. But it's meager, and these designers deserve better!)

All tips to this post will be added to the prize fund, with the prizes remaining in proportion (so 1/2 of the collected pot will go to the first placed winner, 1/3 to the second placed winner, and 1/6 to the third placed winner).

Check the first reply to this post for the latest update on the prize fund.

Further, all entrants will receive the perk of being added to the database as RPG designers and producers, with all that entails (including the option to wear a "GAME DESIGNER" badge, and free microbadges as detailed here).

Stelio will also pass on to the relevant entrants all bag gained for adding the game information to the database (typically 7 in total for the RPG and item submission, 1 for a new designer, and 1 each for relevant images).

All entrants (and the wallaboo for running the contest) will further receive an exclusive microbadge: mb. This is available solely through this particular contest. Any future contests run here will have their own unique microbadges. Collect the set!

Timescales

The contest is open for entries from October 1 through to October 31, 2013. Send your completed entry by e-mail to Iffix Y Santaph at 24hrdesigncontest2013@gmail.com. I'll hang on to them until the end of the entry period.

All entries received before the end of October 31, 2013 will be valid for entry into the contest, regardless of whether they have been fully completed or not (we appreciate that 24 hours is a very short space of time to create a full RPG). That gives you four full weekends to find the time.

When the entry period has closed, we'll create database objects for all the entries and ask the designers to upload their files to the appropriate entry for other users to access. (If you would like a specific block of text from your project to be added the the database entry, please include it in your submission e-mail.) The entire collection of PDF's will be grouped into one massive PDF for download by all until such time as the designers have submitted their files, so that no one is missed in this contest.

(More about the voting process will be determined with the October 31 deadline.)

Voting will be open for two full weeks, after which the results will be announced and the prizes distributed! Party on!

After the contest, you may decide that you want to take your work, polish it up, and make it into something greater. Go ahead! We'd love this contest to inspire you to design.

Eligibility for Entry

All registered users of the site (who are not a wallaboo) are eligible to enter the contest. (NO!!! I'm going to miss out.) cry (Oh well, enjoy the 24-hours of sleep-deprivation without me.)

If you're not a user yet, but you'd like to enter, then sign up for an account! It's free and we don't ask any awkward questions! We're very friendly to new users, whether this is your first time here or you've been lurking for years.

Please: only one entry per person. If you're mad enough to make more than one, let me know which you would like to be considered for the competition.

For details of last year's competition, and all of the entries that were created, see: 2012 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs

For future updates and related posts for this competition, subscribe to this thread (you will also no doubt wish to subscribe to the voting thread at that time.)

DISCLAIMER: The majority of this post was plagiarized. Wallaboo's don't have as strict of laws on those things.

DESIGNERS:
Scott Slomiany
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The Geek? Yes, it's a good site. But - ah! You should have seen it before the rebranding! It was legible and a joy to read! All gone now, sadly, and so (mostly) am I because of it ...
badge
I'm sorry, I cannot read this site regularly while the intense white background is in effect. I have eye health issues, and this is painful. I'll still make brief visits, largely for trades and rules questions, but my socializing here is done for now
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joseph Hellar
msg tools
designer
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Shellito
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
designer
no, not the Hollister on the tee shirts. that place does not exist.
badge
Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew D.
United States
flag msg tools

TITLES:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Hunger Games - Disney Princess Edition by Scott Slomiany
Little Folk by Jason Hanks
Do Not Go Gentle by Sean Cox
Antlers by Mixu Lauronen
Agents of Five by Steve Donohue
Caspar and Henry by Steffan O'Sullivan
Far Gone Misadventure Game by Stelio Passaris
Sever by Kevin Nash
Five Xing by Andrey Stoliarov
SHIM by William Hostman
Mob Rules by Maurice Tousignant
Extra Edition by Nicola Gambetti
A Wolf in Cheap Clothing by Mulligans
Piggies by Ryan Shellito
This is the Way the World Ends by Anders Gabrielsson
Haunt by Andrew DeLorenzo
BONUS: cHAos by Iffix Y Santaph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top Prize: 400
2nd Prize: 300
3rd Prize: 200
4th Prize: 100

(Note: I will round to even numbers with my supply as needed.)

(Note to self: Don't forget your own 60 donation from the original post.) shake
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Does the October 1 entry start date mean I can't start now?

Thanks for stepping up to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good question sir. I won't be accepting your entries until the 1st. (Of course, I'm not going to step on your toes if you start right this minute, so long as your entry doesn't arrive before the first.)

As with previous years, this contest will work on an honor system. I can no more hold you from starting your entry yesterday, than I can prevent you from submitting an entry designed over the course of 31 days. (Though I sincerely hope you won't do the latter. I admittedly don't have so many qualms about the former-excluding, of course, that your time is up.)

Of course, I'm really hoping to hear some trash talk between competitors before then, for my chaotic evil enjoyment. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That time again! I've very much enjoyed the products of the last couple. As the closing date's only a few days before the due date of our little guy, I'm not sure I'll actually get to read them this year, but I'll be trying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb
Thanks Iffix for organizing this. Who knows, I might well participate to this contest if I've got 24 hours to spare.

edit: a little question: does this contest forbid to use already existing systems that are under Creative Commons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Shadow Hexagram wrote:
Thanks Iffix for organizing this. Who knows, I might well participate to this contest if I've got 24 hours to spare.

edit: a little question: does this contest forbid to use already existing systems that are under Creative Commons.

Yes, that is forbidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, I can imagine the conversation already:

"Honey, I can't celebrate your birthday or our anniversary this month. Between VrituaCon, the Monster Kart Mayhem Kickstarter, and now the 24-Hour RPG Contest, I'm swamped.

Honey? Where are you going?"

What the heck, I'm sure I'll be able to find 24 hours *somewhere*. This'll be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quote:
I am delighted (with permission from Stelio, of course)

You have to get Stelio's permission to be delighted? I had no idea he was such a control freak!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a setting idea for a rpg. Did I understand it right - I can not use it, but have to design a new one? This contest sounds very interesting, I must add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
Quote:
I am delighted (with permission from Stelio, of course)

You have to get Stelio's permission to be delighted? I had no idea he was such a control freak!

Actually, I'm delighted most days all on my own because I'm a very delightful wallaboo to be around. (And if you don't believe me, just ask me.) But as this was Stelio's brainchild, I figured it would be best to get his permission before I ran this contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Shadow Hexagram wrote:

Yes, that is forbidden.

What he said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Munkwunk wrote:
Great, I can imagine the conversation already:

"Honey, I can't celebrate your birthday or our anniversary this month. Between VrituaCon, the Monster Kart Mayhem Kickstarter, and now the 24-Hour RPG Contest, I'm swamped.

Honey? Where are you going?"

What the heck, I'm sure I'll be able to find 24 hours *somewhere*. This'll be great!

What can your wife do for her anniversary without you this year? Enter a 24-hour RPG Design Contest of course! (Seriously, though, this contest runner is aware that the arrival of this contest on VC month will make an added challenge for some, but that's why the 24-hours requirement is such a beauty. Apparently on your planet there are still 28 non-VC days. And you can even divide your 24 hours between 2 days, if you're willing to work all night long. Ah, the beauty of being DC'd from this contest.) This one's for you sleep-deprived people out there. snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! I was looking forward to this, and here it is! I still have to finish a novel by next week (only a couple chapters away. Should be doable) and get all sorts of paperwork together for job stuff, but I'm sure I can find 24 hours somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A question regarding the "all work must be yours" and timeframe stuff:

Rolling dice or drawing cards from a deck.. Well.. Neither dice not rolling them as well as the common card deck have been invented by me.. Are they legal anyway?

The point of this question is:

What about the Damage Deck - my work, but not created during this 24 hour timeframe.
Is it ok to use it for a rpg?
What about the Decktet??

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
I think if you created a new system that used those items as a randomizer you'd probably be okay. I don't think you could just use the damage deck wholesale anymore than someone else could use the srd version of Fate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also keep in mind that using an abnormal randomizer may actually work against you in this contest as few people may have that randomizer to work with in playtesting. That said (being I admittedly have very little knowledge of Decktet and Damage Deck) if these things work like a premade system, that would not be acceptable. But if you can find a new way of using them (not related to the established system) I would say there really isn't any difference between them and dice or cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixula wrote:
I have a setting idea for a rpg. Did I understand it right - I can not use it, but have to design a new one? This contest sounds very interesting, I must add.

I guess it largely depends on how much depth you previously put into the setting idea. Admittedly, every GEEK design contest I've come across has had a pattern. (Space Games, Zombie Games, etc, etc, being present in all of them.) So, it stands to reason that you will likely see them again this time around.

But what I noticed last year was that all 3 of the top games in the competition were totally unexpected new settings with a massive amount of thought (I don't know how long that spark actually took, but in all 3, it was admirable).

If I remember right, the top game had Crystal Palaces and Steamlark pilots, the 2nd place game was based on a very old children's story, and the 3rd place game was about nomads in an alien world with progressing technology. In my mind, these three stood out as original. So if this is any indication of what is expected from a winner in this competition, your best bet is to generate the most creative concept you can in the shortest amount of time and build your game around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also thanks to all the contributors so far! Now the 3rd place prize is over 100 . I'd say that's enough of a reason to say GAME ON! (But, ye know, try for first.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shellito
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
designer
no, not the Hollister on the tee shirts. that place does not exist.
badge
Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Ont of my favorite contest here. :)Look forward to writing, and seeing what everyone else comes up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
A question regarding the "all work must be yours" and timeframe stuff:

Rolling dice or drawing cards from a deck.. Well.. Neither dice not rolling them as well as the common card deck have been invented by me.. Are they legal anyway?

The point of this question is:

What about the Damage Deck - my work, but not created during this 24 hour timeframe.
Is it ok to use it for a rpg?
What about the Decktet??

Kind regards,
Kai

Requiring something obscure will probably hinder your ratings unless it is really absurdly cool; writing for something generic (dice, deck, etc) but including alternate options will probably improve them.

For anyone who has a really cool hook or setting in mind but isn't sure what to do with it mechanically: don't worry. Get a simple, working system under the hood and then go nuts with the paint job.

For anyone who has a really cool mechanic in mind: Make it sing, then worry about adding just enough setting to take it for a spin without weighing it down.

And if you're a savant who can balance these while under a time crunch, just go put together the next Arclight in an evening.

That's just from looking at comments and ratings over the past few contests, so take that advice with a d6 of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And yes, I'm looking forward to coming in nth to another batch of awesome entries again this year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad this is happening again and I enjoyed writing last year, but I'm probably out this year. I'm trying to concentrate on developing my existing designs for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

My last go at this was a gut wrenching debacle. Between my horrid lack of skill in using Word, and my nearly total ineptitude when it comes to actually designing a game that works, it's a wonder I even bothered to submit the sludge that resulted.

Err. I mean, I think I'll enter again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Mulligans wrote:

My last go at this was a gut wrenching debacle. Between my horrid lack of skill in using Word, and my nearly total ineptitude when it comes to actually designing a game that works, it's a wonder I even bothered to submit the sludge that resulted.

Err. I mean, I think I'll enter again.

This year, I'm going to write HackWriterMaster: The RPG.

If I ever find time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |