Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
267 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 5-01: The Glass River Rescue» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: UE: 5-01 Glass River Resuce (IC) Table 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pathfinders find themselves ushered into an opulent parlor in the Druman capital of Kerse, part of the manor home of Temel Passad, a prominent Kalistocrat. The group is served the finest Chelish wine and delicate sweetmeats while awaiting their host. In their hands, they each hold a missive from Venture-Captain Ambrus Valsin, which reads

"Pathfinders,

Society agents recently learned of a lost, previously undocumented Sky Citadel in what was once Sarkoris, the land now consumed by the Worldwound. As we canot push into that demon-infested wasteland ourselves, we have recruited dwarven aid in the dangerous expedition. In exchange for military assistance and historical expertise, the dwarves will have the opportunity to reclaim this lost stronghold. Two weeks ago, Highhelm sent an entourage of diplomats and tacticians north toward Mendev to meet with Venture-Captain Jorsal of Lauterbury to discuss terms and develop a plan of attack. When they failed to arrive in a timely fashion, Jorsal commissioned sending magic to contact Rakuska Ingardam, the mission's leader. Rakuska's return message - cut off due to the magic's limit - was as follows:

"Passed Xer, paid our way, but attacked and overcome. Razmiri priests hold us for unknown purpose. We are held somewhere near the Glass River at..."

One of several possible places they are held is the Gray Revelation Inn, about thirty miles east of Xer - we suspect the Razmiri priesthood uses the site to interrogate prisoners. You must investigate and liberate the three dwarven envoys - if indeed that is where they are imprisoned - and then escort them to Mendev. Accompanying you are two other dwarves who will take the captured envoys' places if you aren't successful: merchants Metella Raugar and respected Pahmet mystic Amauhak. The Kalistocrat Temel Passad, a Druman with whom we have dealt in the past, has volunteered a boat to transport you north, and I see little reason why we should not take him up on his offer. Building a good working relationship with one or more influential merchants would be to everyone's benefit.

Good luck!"



Two silent servants open a pair of richly lacquered doors, and a human and two dwarves stride into the lavish parlor. The man, clad in immaculate robes of whitest silk, is short and round with a blond oiled beard, and his eyes are alert and amused. He takes a touch of snuff from a golden box and sneezes before saying "It is a pleasure to welcome Pathfinders to one of my estates once more. I am, as you may know, Temel Passad. allow me to introduce -"

One of the two dwarves, a redheaded female in deep scarlet robes, curtly interrupts the man. "We can introduce ourselves, Passad. I am Metella Raugar, representing the interests of several Highhelm mercantile consortia. My companion" - she gestures to a dwarven man with leather skin baked by the sun, his head swathed in a bright yellow scarf - "is Amauhak of Reth Bezel, a msytic of the sand dwarves of Osirion."

As the dwarf finishes speaking, Passad attentively sees to his guests' needs and ensure that the refreshments are to their liking. Once he has made sure they're taken care of, Passad begins with his business. "I have a boat, the Abacus, which will depart from here. We'll hug the shore of Lake Encarthan before entering the mouth of the Glass River to pursue our first task - the Gray Revelation Inn. From there, the Abacus will take us the rest of the way to Mendev. I would advise that keeping the presence of myself and my two companions a secret is a wise course, given what happened to the earlier team. Now, any questions, or shall we head out?"

 
 
 
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A mysterious man garbed in gray robes of a razmiran priet and wearing an ivory mask speaks in an odd monotone, "Razmiri priests? How are they involved in this kidnapping?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
not2fear wrote:
A mysterious man garbed in gray robes of a razmiran priet and wearing an ivory mask speaks in an odd monotone, "Razmiri priests? How are they involved in this kidnapping?"

Metella eyes the man with a slightly sour expression. "In short, very involved. From what we know, the razmiri be the ones what did it all. Best not be a problem, or we'll have some words. Or ye can stay 'ere."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Begging your pardon, but I have not yet been in Avistan for a very long time. What exactly is a Razmiri priest?" Ajyka inquires.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearpaw wrote:
"Begging your pardon, but I have not yet been in Avistan for a very long time. What exactly is a Razmiri priest?" Ajyka inquires.


[color=]"Crooks! Bunch o' thugs!"[/color] Metella quickly replies. Passad gives the dwarf a small smile, the kind one gives to a child, before speaking as well. "Razmir is the 'Living God', as his followers put it, and has his own clergy. They say Razmir, known as the Lord of the 31 Steps, claims to have taken the Test of the Starstone and ascended to divinity. He later appeared and set up his own nation, which is a strict theocratic governmend presided over by a vast priestly bureaucracy serving Razmir. All other faiths are prohibited in the nation, though foreign priests are tolerated as long as they are not proselytizing and just passing through. All nonresidents are also subject to sundry tariffs and unannounced inspections."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The man dressed as a Razmiran priest nods in agreement. "Quite so. I assume this is why I have been chosen for this mission. After serving in the Diamond City, I was tasked to infiltrate the Razmirans to find out what they're doing about the demonic incursion. The Razmiran's treat outsiders as potential marks and victims and with great distrust. It might be prudent to disguise our entire party as Razmirans to avoid being accosted unnecessarily."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seldanna listens intently to the briefing, intrigued by both the Society's expedition to find the Sky Citadel and also by the company the group will be keeping during the journey, in particular the Osirion sand dwarf.

As Passad reads Ambrus Valsin's message the witch tries to recall if she knows anything further about the Razmiri religion and their priests.
Know (Religion): 1d20+6 = (11) + 6 = 17

After the briefing she makes her way over to talk to the mystic dwarf, Amauhak. Trying her best to give him the semblance of a warm smile and hoping Lonan doesn't get too involved in the conversation she greets him in dwarvish.

Dwarvish:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Hello, my name is Seldanna. It is a pleasure to meet you. I...well I...um, forgive my awkwardness, but I am a seeker of knowledge, and your land has such a wonderful past. In fact I have recently become a 'servant of the past' as I believe they are called, one who works with The Sapphire Sage. Do you know him? Are you also one of his friends, may I ask?"

Lonan sits on Seldanna's shoulder preening his shiny black feathers. He looks from his mistress across to the red-headed female dwarf and back to Seldanna. "CAAAAWWW! She have same hair as you, mistress! She use same dye?" Trying to make a good impression on the sand dwarf, Seldanna simply gives her shoulder a twitch in the vain hope that her familiar will get the message and keep his beak closed just this once.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 436712. greenclaw
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (11) + 6 =
  • 17
  • Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:49 pm
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greenclaw wrote:
Seldanna listens intently to the briefing, intrigued by both the Society's expedition to find the Sky Citadel and also by the company the group will be keeping during the journey, in particular the Osirion sand dwarf.

As Passad reads Ambrus Valsin's message the witch tries to recall if she knows anything further about the Razmiri religion and their priests.
Know (Religion): greenclaw previously rolled 1d20+6 = (11) + 6 = 17 ( )

After the briefing she makes her way over to talk to the mystic dwarf, Amauhak. Trying her best to give him the semblance of a warm smile and hoping Lonan doesn't get too involved in the conversation she greets him in dwarvish.

Dwarvish:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Hello, my name is Seldanna. It is a pleasure to meet you. I...well I...um, forgive my awkwardness, but I am a seeker of knowledge, and your land has such a wonderful past. In fact I have recently become a 'servant of the past' as I believe they are called, one who works with The Sapphire Sage. Do you know him? Are you also one of his friends, may I ask?"

Lonan sits on Seldanna's shoulder preening his shiny black feathers. He looks from his mistress across to the red-headed female dwarf and back to Seldanna. "CAAAAWWW! She have same hair as you, mistress! She use same dye?" Trying to make a good impression on the sand dwarf, Seldanna simply gives her shoulder a twitch in the vain hope that her familiar will get the message and keep his beak closed just this once.


Seldanna knows that Razmir appeared before the people of Xer in the Duchy of Melcast 52 years ago and now acts as both sovereign and god of those captured lands, but she recalls little else beyond what was already explained.

As Seldanna approaches Amahuak, in dwarven no less, Passad seems to bristle a little, as he is left out. Amahuak offers Seldanna a smile as warm as the Osirion sands, as he nods his head slowly. "I've heard o' the Sapphire Sage, but I ain't had the chance t'meet him. Perhaps one day, though."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kasper, cleaning and oiling his gun, looks up at the dwarves. Any idea why the last group got taken? Have the Razmirans any particular cause to hate dwarves? We're they carrying anything of value?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Razmiran infiltrator thinks carefully and asks, "Who are we rescuing and how will we know them when we find them?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeHadfield wrote:
Kasper, cleaning and oiling his gun, looks up at the dwarves. Any idea why the last group got taken? Have the Razmirans any particular cause to hate dwarves? We're they carrying anything of value?

"We don't be knowin' why the dwarves be taken," Metella responds. "All we know is they be taken. And they had nuthin' o' value with them. They be diplomats, not merchants."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
not2fear wrote:
The Razmiran infiltrator thinks carefully and asks, "Who are we rescuing and how will we know them when we find them?"

"There be three dwarves. Rakuska Imgardam, she be a well-known Five Kings diplomat an' devotte o' ol' Torag. Holfist Sendstrom of Taggoret. And Pechas Domri - he be a Pahmet dwarf o' Osirion, like Amauhak, here. All be valued by us for their strategic an' military acumen."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Know Local 1d20+5 = (18) + 5 = 23

Kasper tries to recall anything he knows of Razmir. Either the land or the man.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 436929. MikeHadfield
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (18) + 5 =
  • 23
  • Know Local
  • Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:46 pm
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeHadfield wrote:
MikeHadfield previously rolled 1d20+5 = (18) + 5 = 23 (Know Local)

Kasper tries to recall anything he knows of Razmir. Either the land or the man.

Kasper has hear that the Razmiri clergy rely more on bullying than on divine miracles, often exploiting travelers to fill the church's coffers. Tales have reached his ears that the regular patrols of faithful enforcers searching for dissension has resulted in the paranoia that runs throughout the government and the populace. Any friendliness from a native is cause for suspicion, giving rise to the saying "never trust a smiling Razmiri".
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unknown Ediology wrote:
not2fear wrote:
The Razmiran infiltrator thinks carefully and asks, "Who are we rescuing and how will we know them when we find them?"

"There be three dwarves. Rakuska Imgardam, she be a well-known Five Kings diplomat an' devotte o' ol' Torag. Holfist Sendstrom of Taggoret. And Pechas Domri - he be a Pahmet dwarf o' Osirion, like Amauhak, here. All be valued by us for their strategic an' military acumen."

Thinking like a spy, the masked man continues, "Should we keep our identities secret? If we are found out, what are the implications to the Pathfinder Society?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
not2fear wrote:
Thinking like a spy, the masked man continues, "Should we keep our identities secret? If we are found out, what are the implications to the Pathfinder Society?"

Passad gives a small shrug of his shoulders as he takes a sip from his glass. "I can't be sure, but I hear the Razmiri are known to hold grudges. I imagine if they can find out who did it, they'll be looking for a way to exact revenge. Now, if we're ready? My ship is waiting for us at the dock."


We can retcon any additional questions you had.

The group moves off to the Abacus and begins their journey. They travel along the coast of Lake Encarthan, and the trip is uneventful. Passad's hired hands, a total of five sailors including the captain, are quiet and efficient. In a relatively short time, the Abacus reaches the mouth of the Glass River and begins to head east. As the boat begins to enter Razmiri waters, Passad turns to the Pathfinders and points towards a city on the distant shore. "That is Xer, up ahead. It is customary for foreign ships to dock at Xer and pay a small toll. I would advise we stop there and pay the toll, with an extra gratuity, to ensure they do not bother us. I am willing to pay the toll, if it helps." As he speaks, Passad pulls out two platinum coins from a silk white purse and slides them between his fingers.

"Bah! A fool's errand to stop at Xer," chimes in Metella. "If we be stoppin' at Xer, they be bound t'search our ship. An' when they find us, it won't be good, I tell ya!"

Passad shakes his head slowly, not approving of the dwarf's plan. "Ah, but if we try to slip past, we were surely be accosted by a faith barge upriver. And what do you think will happen if we cannot show that we paid the customary tolls? No doubt they will wish to search us then, and extort even more money from us. It would cause greater trouble in the long run."

["Ye speak like a noble, not like one with any sense. A single ship be much easier to t'deal with than a whole dock o' people! I say we take our chances with the faith barges, an' avoid the docks altogether!"

The two glare at each other, at an obvious impasse. Slowly, they turn their heads towards the Pathfinders. "Well, what say you? Xer? Or continue onwards?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kasper looks around at the group. I say we pay the toll. A few coins and some choice words should see us through. Blowing past will only draw unwanted attention.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seldanna shrugs to indicate she has no particular preference. "Sounds like we'll have to pay a toll and risk getting searched either way. I'm not sure either option sounds that much better than the other, so I don't really mind which one we choose. I've never been to Xer so I don't mind dropping in there, if that's what you suggest."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I agree with Kasper," Mel pipes up. "It would be best to avoid any issue just as we enter Razmiri qaters, and with Witquick's dead-pan demeanour, it should be easy to persuade them. If necessary, I'm sure Kasper and I can back him up. And if Passad is willing to pay the toll, I'm not going to argue," he finishes, with a smile.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As the majority of the Pathfinders seem to favor stopping at Xer, the decision is made to do so. Passad offers a pleasant smile and passes the two coins to Kasper. "A very good decision, my friend. I can see you lot are smart!" Meanwhile, Metella frowns and stomps off to hide below deck. "Lousy, snuff-addicted merchant." she grumbles under her breath as she goes. Passad and Amauhak soon follow her below.

The city of Xer occupies the north bank of the Glass River, and its dozens of docks remain busy as ships headed both east and west call at the port. Grubby men and women in bulky jackets patrol the decks, and few smiling faces are to be seen. The Abacus's captain expertly brings the ship into the docks, selecting an isolated berth sheltered on either side by tall warehouses. As the ship closes in, one of the sailors tosses a rope to a dockworker, who moors the boat to a post near him.

As the boat slides into dock, three Razmiri enforcers - one holding the taut leash of a slavering, half-tamed wolf - approach the Abacus. "What be yer business in Razmir, and how many of ya are there? Speak quick, now! And don't forget to be payin' the fees!", the lead man shouts, in obvious ill-temperament.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that witquick has a +16 to bluff, Kasper will let him take the lead on the bluff check.

Aid Another Bluff 1d20+9 = (13) + 9 = 22

Kasper nods at the man and passes over the two platinum pieces.

Seven of us boss, on our way up to Mendev.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 437378. MikeHadfield
  • 1d20+9 =
  • (13) + 9 =
  • 22
  • Aid Another Bluff
  • Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:58 pm
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ajyka looks at the man stoically with one raised eyebrow, but doesn't speak up.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeHadfield wrote:
Given that witquick has a +16 to bluff, Kasper will let him take the lead on the bluff check.

MikeHadfield previously rolled 1d20+9 = (13) + 9 = 22 (Aid Another Bluff)

Kasper nods at the man and passes over the two platinum pieces.

Seven of us boss, on our way up to Mendev.

The man pauses for a moment as he counts the heads he sees on the boat. Six pathfinders. Plus five sailors. Scowling up at Kasper, the man shakes his head. "Do ye think we can't count? That we be stupid, or something? Ye got eleven of ye standing on deck. Tryin' t'lie to us ain't good for yer health. Ain't good for much other'n havin' yer boat searched, confiscated, and spending some days in jail. However, seein' that ye be well off." The man nods to the two platinum pieces Kasper handed him. "After all, common folk don't be carryin' such treasures, an' pay in coppers an' silvers. But, seein' as ye must be rich travelers indeed, ye might be able t'pay the extra tax in order to avoid such repercussions."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Witquick, dressed as a Razmiran clergy, walks up to the Razmiran and looks him in the eye. "I think you'd be 'stupid' to pursue this further, and I guarantee you that when your supervisor finds out who I am, it won't be "good for your health". I am a ranking priest of Razmir and I am on an important mission and i don't have any time for your usual song and dance to extort money from clueless travellers. If I am delayed any further by your antics, I will make sure that the high priest in Xer knows that it is because of you three stooges! "

Bluff (take 10) 10+16 = 10 + 16 = 26
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 437411. not2fear
  • 10+16 =
  • 10 + 16 =
  • 26
  • Bluff (take 10)
  • Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:40 pm
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
not2fear wrote:
Witquick, dressed as a Razmiran clergy, walks up to the Razmiran and looks him in the eye. "I think you'd be 'stupid' to pursue this further, and I guarantee you that when your supervisor finds out who I am, it won't be "good for your health". I am a ranking priest of Razmir and I am on an important mission and i don't have any time for your usual song and dance to extort money from clueless travellers. If I am delayed any further by your antics, I will make sure that the high priest in Xer knows that it is because of you three stooges! "

not2fear previously rolled 10+16 = 10 + 16 = 26 (Bluff (take 10))

The thugs are, initially, slightly taken aback by the presence of the Razmiran priest. However, they all quickly regain themselves. The same one who spoke before gives a gravely chuckle before he speaks. "Well, then. If ye be a Razmiri priest, ye know that no one be above the dock searches. Especially if they be bringin' in outsiders. Oh," the man adds, almost an afterthought, "besides the fact that ye be wearin' the wrong mask, a priest o' your 'rankin' would know Xer got no high priest. It have a high priestess. So, down that plank. Now. All o' ye best be linin' up right now. Yer ship been selected for a random search. No funny business." The other two priest each raise loaded crossbows and take aim at the group, watching for the slightest sign of resistance.


Good effort, but the DC is rather high on this one. Even with a bonus for the disguise (and aid another), it didn't make it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] |