Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scene 1: The Distress Call

The ship's clock is set to a standard 25h human sleep pattern. With the advances of automation, it finally is no longer necessary to have living beings actually awake and "on watch" - sure, Neely is always awake, but who wants rely exclusively on the robot when your central computer's voice can instead whisper in your sleeping ear and gently wake you up so you can make a proper sentient-worthy decision?
Thought so.

The computer is actually doing it right now, too! Whispering in your sleeping ears, that is, that a distress call has been received.
"Damaged vessel drifting in deep space. Hailing us on Consortium frequencies and requesting assistance. It's the 'Munchkin Náufragos', a medium transport class out of Reuter's World."

Chatty - do you guys have a name for the computer and its avatar? Or is it just "computer" or something like that? Or does it have a name, gender, and personality?

The computer is repeating this message six times with a 20 second interval between the messages, each new iteration a decibel louder than the last.

The verbal command "disregard!" can stop the broadcast for each crew member, as does a wavy motion with three fingers, allowing you to blissfully sleep on, if that is what you are actually doing.

Ten - you guys are so different, how do you cope with a 25h cycle and a 17-8 awake-asleep ratio?

Some of you might have set your systems to entirely ignore such non-critical alerts.
Surely some won't.

What would Captain Darcy do?

The camera jumps to each crew member and shows what they are doing for a few seconds, then smash cuts to the bridge, awaiting the arrival of ... somebody. Anybody. Lightning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
At the very first iteration of the message Chaz sits upright and says, "CRISTAL, Disregard please. I'm on my way. Play Beethoven's Third ship-wide at volume level 3 please, over-riding any disregard commands until everyone is on the bridge." Placing his well-thumbed copy of the book, Dante's Inferno on to his sleeping couch (yes, an actual paper book!) Chaz slides his legs over the edge and drops to the floor.

He'd woken an hour ago, from a series of bad dreams, all involving the ship being blasted into small pieces because of an error in command that he had made. He found it relaxing to read about other people's ideas of hell when he was living one daily.

CRISTAL was actually a marginally shortened version of the acronym C.R.I.S.T.A.L.S. which stood for Consortium Realistic Interactive System Totally Automates Labor-intensive Systems. But Chaz had always preferred the name Cristal. Luckily the system came with the choice of several dozen voice and personality packages, so he'd gone with a sweet hill-billy yokle girl with a deep twangy accent. (Chaz had forgotten exactly why he'd been given that honour at the time, but he figures it was probably because the captain couldn't be arsed and didn't really give a toss.)

And volume level 3 was just loud enough to be quite irritating but not debilitating.

Chaz reached the bridge and went to inspect the systems that were reporting the distress call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten never sets his system to ignore alerts. After all, it would never do to miss it if something interesting happened! Especially since the humans wasted so much time in that odd semi-disconnected mode they called "sleep". Uvians disconnected various subsystems for rest and recovery too, when necessary, but not without losing conscious awareness of their surroundings! Humans, on the other hand, seemed to have just a few inflexible modes, in which interaction options were extremely limited. (And they became so grouchy about experimentation when interrupted in such a state!)

Unfortunately, humans spent so much of their time sleeping! It really became quite boring. At least Neely was almost always available, but Ten had the distinct impression at times that he was wearing out his welcome. So now he was doing what he so often did during the standard sleep period: whiling away his time in his cabin, playing with his cluster-form board. This time, he was trying to construct a realistic one-twelth size representation of the captain. He had vague ideas about trying out something he'd read about recently called "voodoo", and seeing if he couldn't wake the captain up.

But this distress call was of more immediate interest! After his tentacle-waving fails as usual to trigger the "stop" action on the broadcast, Ten finally verbalizes the "disregard" command and slips out of his cabin. He half-bounces, half-slithers onto the bridge in time to see Chaz bend over the console.

"What's going on, Chatty?" he burbles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stack
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As usual Sparks has fallen asleep in one of the numerous service tunnels, called for some reason 'Geoffreez tubes', running throughout the ship.

The alert wakes him up abruptly, causing him to almost bang his head and knock himself unconscious. Luckily the bundle of transducer cables he was working on tangle around his neck, saving him from a nasty bump.

Sparks quickly restore the wires to where they probably belong and makes his way to the bridge.

Checking the ViewScreen he says "Hey, I worked on that class of transport ships when I was stationed at Reuters World a while back. I'm sure I can get her up and running just fine if I can get over to her."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hendricks
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At last, the twin brother Miguel was found to not only be not dead, but the medical report showing him and Maria to be twins separated at birth was proved to have been put together by a corrupt, dishonest doctor. They could finally be together. Neely sobbed gently, which sounded like a quieter version of windchimes thrown about in a hurricane.

Then IT began playing. Beethoven. Again. Unit designated "Chatty". Why couldn't these humans be like the ones in Neely's soap operas and have interesting backstories and passionate love lives?

Neely's shouts of "DISREGARD! DISREGARD! DISREGARD!" seemed to have no effect on the CRISTALS, it appeared the crew was wanted on the bridge. Things were so much better when Sparks accidentally fried CRISTALS for a week. The crew had never been more willing to jump to their feet and get to work with Neely approaching each crew member's bunk in the morning with a gentle, "AWAKE, AWAKE, AWAKE!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowboy struts through the bridge doors, his boots clicking on the floor.

"Don't worry everybody, I'm here now!"

Taking off a pair of sunglasses, he tosses them sideways to land on one of the science consoles.

"Ok, who's life needs saving?"

Cowboy looks around the bridge for a moment taking in the situation.

"You woke me up for this?" he says, disappointed, "There better be dying people on that ship."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten darts for the sunglasses, and holds them up to the light to observe their properties. Pulling out a pocket recorder, he makes a few soft verbal notes. "Ocular adjustment to increasing light levels may take longer than previously estimated. Although, this may only be true after prolonged sleep. Consider experimental protocols for determining sleep effects."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaz was about to reply to Ten when the Decapoid dashed across the room and grabbed at some discarded sunglasses with a tentacle.

So instead he answers the other question fired his way. "No idea if people are dying. And we won't know unless we go check it out, so set a course and lets get going. Throw up the Cloak, just in case and shove her into a good speed but lets not burn all her fuel by being stupid."

Flicking a few switches Chaz tries to bring up better information on the ship making the distress call, and to find out if there's any other ships or things in its vacinity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the crew gathers, you can all glean a little more information about what is going on.
A good number of klicks away, just beyond visual, there must be the drifting vessel 'Munchkin Náufragos'; they have sent out a standard distress call, but possibly have lost use of their own sensors, because they are not hailing you yet - they probably have no idea you are there!

Chatty - so, it's your passive sensor array that picked up the call. You fire up the active sensors, to find our what's what with the ship and the general vicinity.
Roll 2 dice for Lasers!
Edit: To be clear: one dice, because you always roll one; two dice, because you are an expert in sensor use: but not three dice, because you didn't specifically prepare this action; and Lasers, because it's a pretty technical thing you are doing. Clear?

Ten - you have seen these things before, but they had never been so ostentatiously discarded. Do you plan to keep the specimen for your material culture collection?

Cowboy - Here's to hoping! Until the sensor boys do their stuff, and somebody actually hails the 'Munchkin Náufragos', you won't know what's the case and whether your presence and valuable time are actually required. Appreciated they obviously aren't.

Neely - you arrive at the bridge, and there is still a noticeable lack of drama and emotion.
Neely - what's your take on the non-human sentient, Ten? How does it figure in your world? Or are you by programming biased towards humans?

Sparks - aaah, Reuter's World! Good times, right?
Tell the rest of the crew three things about Reuter's World. I'll determine two of them to be truths and one a falsehood.

At some point, you all turn your eyes to the empty chair where Lightning is supposed to be sitting. Eyerolling ensues. Somebody mutters about "Beauty Sleep".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:

Chatty - so, it's your passive sensor array that picked up the call. You fire up the active sensors, to find our what's what with the ship and the general vicinity.
Roll 2 dice for Lasers!
Edit: To be clear: one dice, because you always roll one; two dice, because you are an expert in sensor use: but not three dice, because you didn't specifically prepare this action; and Lasers, because it's a pretty technical thing you are doing. Clear?

At some point, you all turn your eyes to the empty chair where Lightning is supposed to be sitting. Eyerolling ensues. Somebody mutters about "Beauty Sleep".

OOC: The problem here is I am a 2 on the scale (I decided to NOT say "I'm a No2....") so using two dice I have to get snake eyes to win as :
"If you’re using lasers (science, reason), you want to roll under your number.
If you’re using Feelings, (rapport, passion) you want to roll over your number."

Having just thought about it....I get what's going on. It's not your TOTAL score that has to beat your level, it is EACH DICE. If one of my dice succeed I just about do it, if both succeed I do it well and if I roll any 2's then I get a special insight! Okay...so here goes....!

1d6 = (3) = 3
1d6 = (1) = 1

OOC: Okay, so I got one success so manage to do the sensor check alright (but not with flair).

As Chaz brings up the active sensors and they start to reveal the required information he briefly looks over his shoulder and sees that everyone except Lightning is here. To no-one in particular Chatty says 'That explains why Beethoven is still playing."

Then in a clear voice he says, "CRISTAL. Turn the volume up to 5 in Lightning's hole, and when he gets his pretty arse out of his bunk follow him to the bridge with that music. When he's here shut it off."

Chaz then carries on reading the data shown him by the sensors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 425645. Bifford
  • 1d6 =
  • (3) =
  • Sat Sep 7, 2013 12:05 pm
  • [+]
  • 425646. Bifford
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • Sat Sep 7, 2013 12:05 pm
Gambit
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry! I was attending a party last night!

Lightning enters the room, his hair shaped masterfully.His immaculately cut uniform tight to his body, Lightning has arrived on the scene.

He rushes towards the empty chair at the front of the ship, addresses the rest of the crew "Sorry about that guys,but you can't rush perfection!" He winks at them, playfully.

He then turns around and addresses the ship in danger
"Message received Munchkin Náufragos, this is Agricola Dominion here, What seems to be the problem? We can offer assistance!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
"Belay that order, CRISTAL, pretty boy is here." Chatty says to the computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten regretfully places the sunglasses back on the console where he plucked them from. It's a small ship, and in the short time Ten has been with this crew, he has learned that just because something has been left lying about doesn't mean that the "owner" has relinquished claim to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stack
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sparks - aaah, Reuter's World! Good times, right?
Tell the rest of the crew three things about Reuter's World. I'll determine two of them to be truths and one a falsehood.

Sparks struggles to recall his time on Reuters World for any info that may be useful. It was a hectic time for him, being his first engineering posting after graduation from the Academy.

Turning from the ViewScreen, Sparks shares his limited intel on Reuter's World.

"I can't see any reason for anyone attacking a transport ship out of Reuters World, there are no valuable resources or goods produced there that I recall."

"It's mainly a high priced R&R facility for diplomats, government leaders and such in this quadrant. There were rumors that a lot of shady back room deals are brokered there. Perhaps someone sabotaged the ship as a way of 'cancelling' a deal.

"The locals seemed to be very happy to have the Consortium there to help them deal with their technical problems. They're mostly a touchy feely race, not interested in material things, which made for some real fun times after my duty shifts."

Sparks get's a weird smile on his face as he recalls those times...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hendricks
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neely arrives on the bridge. It quickly assesses that there is a ship in need of help, but the crew were already taking care of matters.

Seeing Ten study Cowboy's sunglasses, Neely moves to offer its viewpoint. The two have often cooperated in figuring out humans while trying to understand each other.

"OBJECT: SUNGLASSES. TWO USES:

1) OUTDOOR to protect against excessive light and

2) INDOOR to impair vision so as to make others of the opposite gender seem more desirable.

ASSUMPTION: Cowboy uses it for the latter purpose."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten considers Neely's analysis. "An interesting hypothesis, Neely, but I think it can be refuted. Consider: there are no members of the female gender aboard this ship!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
While still looking at the screen with the data Chaz chuckles at Ten's words. "That's debatable, Ten. Hahaha!" Chaz does not expect Ten to understand that comment which makes him laugh even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten looks confused, starts to trigger his pocket recorder, and then realizes he doesn't know what observation to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
The viewscreen comes alive. On the bridge of the Munchkin Náufragos, a slender human female with a fashionable head spins around to face you. With the slightest rush of red to her cheeks, she nearly gasps "Captain Darcy! Why, I never... !" and then notices it is not Captain Darcy she is facing. Her confusion lasts but a moment.
"I am Captain Aurora Blitzdings. Salutations, Agricola Dominion. We request aid and assistance. An attack by unknown forces has left us marooned here; we also have crew members injured. Who is in command on your side?"

In the background you can see a few other crewmembers, one faceless mauve alien from Rigel and two humans.

Sparks: Whooah, you knew her as "Callisto Beamways"; and she sure as nails wasn't a ship's Captain then...

Chatty: It checks out, more or less - the jump drive seems damaged, badly, but most other systems appear to be online. There is stunningly little hull damage. You do not pick up any signs of the presence of other ships or ... things of the spaceways...

What do you all do?

Edited for mobile typing mishaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten rushes forward, half climbing onto the back of the captain's chair in his eagerness to address the other ship. "Unknown forces? What sort of unknown forces? Do you mean you don't know what attacked you? As in what species, or even whether the forces were intelligent? How were these forces manifested?" Several of Ten's tentacles wave wildly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stack
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sparks: Whooah, you knew her as "Callisto Beamways"; and she sure as nails wasn't a ship's Captain then...

For a few seconds Sparks just gapes at the image of Aurora/Callisto on the ViewScreen. He comes to his senses and moves over to his console keeping his back to the screen and types in a few commands.

ZZZAAAP! A bolt of static electricity shoots out of the Communications Console and the 'Outgoing Comm Feed' warning light begins flashing. ... ...

"Don't worry guys I got that little jolt under control. I did it purposely so I could let you know that that Aurora Blitzdings isn't who she says she is!"

"I got to 'know' her as Callisto Beamways on Reuters World and she definitely wasn't a ships Captain. In fact she was involved in a lot of those shady back room deals I mentioned before. I don't know what her game is but be careful in dealing with her."

Sparks let's the info sink in for a bit and as soon as everyone signals they're ready to continue he clears the short in the Comm Console and restores full ship-to-ship communication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Aurora Blitzdings" visibly strains to see and hear you all again while the comm channel is so unfortunately distorted; as you come on again clearly she is a little aghast at Ten's antics.

"I... we... are you the Captain?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten looks over at Sparks. "Who is she talking to? She's not answering my questions."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
While the communications are still down Chaz turns to Lightning and says, "I smell a trap. Cloak and get us closer then scan her more thoroughly. Keep us out of weapons range though."

Nodding to Sparks to bring comms back up, Chaz strides up to the Captain's chair and takes position, then starts a seamless and quick one-sided conversation, not letting Blitz get a word in edgeways for the time being.

"Ahhh Greetings Captain Blitzdings. I am Acting Captain Chaz Roz'tal. The Captain is currently indisposed so you may deal with me. You did not answer my crews' previous questions regarding who attacked you and why and where they are now. They were obviously remarkably good shots as you have thankfully sustained minimal damage to your hull for which you are very lucky. I would expect that with such a lucky break the majority of your crew are unhurt and that therefore your situation is perhaps not quite as perilous as you initially think. You can most likely affect repairs to both your ship and your crew on your own, but may not have yet realized that this is so. We can be with you quite quickly, that is to say within perhaps half an hour or so but you are off of our normal heading and we are on quite an important mission so I would appreciate that if you can make do and mend without our aid that you do so. Of course if you really Do require our aid then we will set course for you immediately and will come to help you in whatever capacity we are able to."

Pausing for a moment to take a breath, Captain Blitzdings opens her mouth to reply in some way, but Chaz "Chatty" Roz'tal is living up to his name and before she can utter a sound he continues.

"So I would ask you please to run your sensors on an internal sweep of your ship to check on the complete and actual status of the damage you have sustained in the attack, and also to check with your medbay to find out the exact details of any and all injuries sustained by your crew. Once you have those details please relay them to us and we will decide if you need our assistance, but in the meantime I have to say we must continue on our normal course until such time as we can be sure that you really do need our assistance. I notice, Captain that your crew are just standing around behind you and are not actually jumping into action to do what I have requested and therefore I can assume that you have suffered some sort of localized temporal anomalies that is causing pockets of time-dilation that apparently is slowing some, but perhaps not all, of your crew to be in a time-frame where things happen much much slower. So slow in fact that it appears to us, who are in normal time, that they are not moving, but in fact they are, just very very slowly. If this is not the case then I can honestly say that I am at a loss to understand why your bridge staff are not running around, fiddling with console controls and getting the information that I required, while at the same time affecting repairs to the ship and checking on the status of their friends within the crew."

Chaz once more stops, but this time it's because he's got the nod from Lightning that they are nearing the other ship and are taking up position just out of their reach.

Chaz says but one more sentence to Captain Blitzdings. "I shall sign off the comms now and contact you again in five minutes once you have had the chance to get the information I requested however if you have it before that time feel free to contact us instead. Acting Captain Roz'tal, Out." and with that Chaz motions for the communication to be terminated.

Turning back to Lightning, Chaz asks, simply, "What have you found?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten listens to the one=sided "exchange" closely, and as soon as Chaz stops talking, he blurts out "I must say, Acting Captain, that while the kind of time dilation effects you describe are known, I have never heard of such effects being localized in the manner you hypothesize. Perhaps the sphere of human knowledge is broader, but might I suggest that we consider alternate explanations for the relatively static image you were commenting upon?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |