Lairs, Dens and Burrows
Heart of the Lizard
Atomic Heroes
The Stellar Beacon (Summer 2019)
Annihilation Rising (1E)
Bob, Lord of Evil Gamemaster Screen
Angmar: Land of the Witch King
Blue Rose (1st Edition)
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Mythic Game Master Emulator
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Lady Blackbird
Drowning and Falling
Catapult Run
Bob, Lord of Evil
Microscope
Savage Worlds Deluxe
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
359 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 

Mutants & Masterminds Third Edition» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: OOC: Much Mayhem: A Mutants & Masterminds PbF by Mulligans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the OOC thread. You know what it's for.

We'll be going with Power Level 10, giving each of you 150 Power Points to spend.

The game will take place in a city setting, a large island metropolis to be exact.

The year is 2026.

I think it's best that we begin with all PCs knowing each other, but I'd be okay with working around that in the first few stages of play.

That might be all you need to know for now. You can begin to discuss character ideas here. I'm fine with just about anything you want to do, but let's stay away from aliens.

Sam, I'm fine with you using Solid State, assuming he fits into the 150 PP build.

I will get the M&M Hero Lab setup soon. Between that and the experienced players/lurkers we should be good to go with character creation. Honestly, I'm still wrapping my head around some of the mechanics, but I'm confident that will all fall into place once we begin.

Please subscribe to this thread!

Welcome, and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

placeholder for links, etc...

Edit... or nothing. Why do I always make placeholders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
My character idea is functionally The Shadow, though I'm calling him The Phantom just because I like the sound of it better.

He's been around since the 1920's, but he's not immortal. Every generation, the current Phantom trains a new apprentice to take his place.

Here's his Hero Lab stat block for your GMly approval.

The Phantom - PL 10

Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 5, Intellect 5, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Benefit, Ambidexterity, Close Attack 2, Contacts, Defensive Roll 8, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative, Move-by Action, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 2, Redirect

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+6), Athletics 4 (+6), Close Combat: Qi Punch: Strength-based Strike 5 6 (+11), Deception 6 (+8), Insight 4 (+6), Intimidation 2 (+4), Investigation 2 (+7), Perception 4 (+6), Ranged Combat: Hail of Lead!: Blast 8 6 (+10), Sleight of Hand 2 (+6), Stealth 6 (+10), Technology 2 (+7), Vehicles 2 (+6)

Powers
Bamf!: Teleport 1 (60 feet in a move action, carrying 50 lbs.; Limited: Not through walls)
Melt Into The Shadows: Invisibility 2 (Total concealment from normal vision)
Nickel Plated .45s! (Easily Removable)
. . Hail of Lead!: Blast 8 (ballistic, DC 23, Advantages: Benefit, Ambidexterity, Quick Draw; Split: 2 targets; Unreliable (5 uses))
Qi Punch: Strength-based Strike 5 (bludgeoning, chi, DC 22)
The Power to Cloud Mens' Minds: Illusion 10 (psionic, psychic, thought, Affects: Three Sense Types - Visual and Auditory, Area: 1000 cft., DC 20; Precise; Concentration, Limited to One Subject)

Offense
Initiative +8
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 12)
Hail of Lead!: Blast 8, +12 (DC 23)
Qi Punch: Strength-based Strike 5, +13 (DC 22)
Throw, +6 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 17)

Complications
Identity: LaMont Cranston
Motivation: Justice: Because he knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 8, Toughness 10/2, Will 12

Power Points
Abilities 52 + Powers 28 + Advantages 19 + Skills 24 (48 ranks) + Defenses 27 = 150

He's a pretty simple character, really. He shoots and he punches. But the combination of his advantages and powers allows him to appear, shoot or punch, and then disappear. (Move-by action, teleport, invisibility, hide in plain sight). He likes to use The Power To Cloud Men's Minds to create an illusory Phantom (or other team member) in the wrong place, throw his voice, and similar tricks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow, that was quick! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

We'll be going with Power Level 10, giving each of you 150 Power Points to spend.

Sam, I'm fine with you using Solid State, assuming he fits into the 150 PP build.

Welcome, and have fun!

No idea if he does....couldn't even tell you if the game was the same version. I shall get his character sheet out tomorrow and have a look!

Class me as a beginner with regards system mechanics btw.

Looking forward to this immensley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

What can I say? I'm excited to play this.

Matt gave me some advice when I was creating the character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonsterMike wrote:
Mulligans wrote:

What can I say? I'm excited to play this.

Matt gave me some advice when I was creating the character.

Uh-oh, in that case. throw the character out and start over. Matt has no idea what he's talking about. None at all. Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need to get the demo/pdf but I should be ready to create by end of week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got several ideas, pulling from my Champions characters from thirty years ago. I've got to look more carefully at the M&M rules, though, to see what might actually be able to translate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, seems the Conversion from 2E to 3E won't work properly for me. Gonna have to rebuild Solid State from the ground up.

Where are these free rules people have mentioned please? I've got the Hero Lab to help but nothing beats a rulebook...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.d20herosrd.com

How good is Hero Lab for M&M?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Brent Johnson wrote:
http://www.d20herosrd.com

How good is Hero Lab for M&M?

Thank you.

Coming at the character creation cold turkey using it - Not easy!!!! If you know what you are doing it's probably easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

I've just been messing about with the demo version. It is a bit difficult at first, but referencing the rules does certainly make a difference.

As noted I will be purchasing the full version soon. Since we won't be starting this for a while I have no problem helping build characters step by step using the software. No one should feel obligated to purchase anything on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i've used it for Pathfinder and it's pretty good for that, I will probably load the demo tonight if I can, and check it out. The link for the SRD is a good read too

I guess I need to come up with a concept. You have no problem with copying a favorite charachter and making it "My own" i assume?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually more inclined to get Hero Lab for M&M, because it doesn't have the multitude-of-expansions problem that Pathfinder does. But I'm going to try doing this by hand first, I think.

Maybe it's just lack of familiarity with the rules, or maybe it's just that I'm thirty years older now, or maybe it's that I'm reading stuff online now instead of reading a book, but I don't remember struggling as much with character creation for Champions.

The working name for my character is Singularity, with a gravity-based theme. Sort of. The idea I'm working with now involves a number of alternate forms, and in the spirit of comic books I am playing really fast and loose with physics.

I don't know how much I'm going to be able to fit into 150 points, so I may have to scrap some forms, but here's at least a place to start:

d10-1 Standard human form, with few Effects or none. Basically this is the inactivated form.
d10-2 Double-size form, with lower strength and density but higher toughness (due to the greater separation between molecules), and the ability to deliver gravitic blasts.
d10-3 Very large insubstantial form with the ability to fly, and perhaps with enhanced senses.
d10-4 Half-size form with high density and toughness, and the ability to move objects toward self.
d10-5 Possibly smaller forms (even as small as Atomic), with Effects yet undetermined.

Transitioning to smaller forms would be quick. Transitioning to larger forms would take more time.

Origin would be the usual physicist-caught-in-an-accident kind of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Taloncarde wrote:
i've used it for Pathfinder and it's pretty good for that, I will probably load the demo tonight if I can, and check it out. The link for the SRD is a good read too

I guess I need to come up with a concept. You have no problem with copying a favorite charachter and making it "My own" i assume?

No problem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brent Johnson wrote:
I'm actually more inclined to get Hero Lab for M&M, because it doesn't have the multitude-of-expansions problem that Pathfinder does. But I'm going to try doing this by hand first, I think.

Maybe it's just lack of familiarity with the rules, or maybe it's just that I'm thirty years older now, or maybe it's that I'm reading stuff online now instead of reading a book, but I don't remember struggling as much with character creation for Champions.

The working name for my character is Singularity, with a gravity-based theme. Sort of. The idea I'm working with now involves a number of alternate forms, and in the spirit of comic books I am playing really fast and loose with physics.

I don't know how much I'm going to be able to fit into 150 points, so I may have to scrap some forms, but here's at least a place to start:

d10-1 Standard human form, with few Effects or none. Basically this is the inactivated form.
d10-2 Double-size form, with lower strength and density but higher toughness (due to the greater separation between molecules), and the ability to deliver gravitic blasts.
d10-3 Very large insubstantial form with the ability to fly, and perhaps with enhanced senses.
d10-4 Half-size form with high density and toughness, and the ability to move objects toward self.
d10-5 Possibly smaller forms (even as small as Atomic), with Effects yet undetermined.

Transitioning to smaller forms would be quick. Transitioning to larger forms would take more time.

Origin would be the usual physicist-caught-in-an-accident kind of thing.

Sounds interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
MonsterMike wrote:
My character idea is functionally The Shadow, though I'm calling him The Phantom just because I like the sound of it better.

He's been around since the 1920's, but he's not immortal. Every generation, the current Phantom trains a new apprentice to take his place.

Here's his Hero Lab stat block for your GMly approval.

The Phantom - PL 10

Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 5, Intellect 5, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Benefit, Ambidexterity, Close Attack 2, Contacts, Defensive Roll 8, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative, Move-by Action, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 2, Redirect

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+6), Athletics 4 (+6), Close Combat: Qi Punch: Strength-based Strike 5 6 (+11), Deception 6 (+8), Insight 4 (+6), Intimidation 2 (+4), Investigation 2 (+7), Perception 4 (+6), Ranged Combat: Hail of Lead!: Blast 8 6 (+10), Sleight of Hand 2 (+6), Stealth 6 (+10), Technology 2 (+7), Vehicles 2 (+6)

Powers
Bamf!: Teleport 1 (60 feet in a move action, carrying 50 lbs.; Limited: Not through walls)
Melt Into The Shadows: Invisibility 2 (Total concealment from normal vision)
Nickel Plated .45s! (Easily Removable)
. . Hail of Lead!: Blast 8 (ballistic, DC 23, Advantages: Benefit, Ambidexterity, Quick Draw; Split: 2 targets; Unreliable (5 uses))
Qi Punch: Strength-based Strike 5 (bludgeoning, chi, DC 22)
The Power to Cloud Mens' Minds: Illusion 10 (psionic, psychic, thought, Affects: Three Sense Types - Visual and Auditory, Area: 1000 cft., DC 20; Precise; Concentration, Limited to One Subject)

Offense
Initiative +8
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 12)
Hail of Lead!: Blast 8, +12 (DC 23)
Qi Punch: Strength-based Strike 5, +13 (DC 22)
Throw, +6 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 17)

Complications
Identity: LaMont Cranston
Motivation: Justice: Because he knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 8, Toughness 10/2, Will 12

Power Points
Abilities 52 + Powers 28 + Advantages 19 + Skills 24 (48 ranks) + Defenses 27 = 150

He's a pretty simple character, really. He shoots and he punches. But the combination of his advantages and powers allows him to appear, shoot or punch, and then disappear. (Move-by action, teleport, invisibility, hide in plain sight). He likes to use The Power To Cloud Men's Minds to create an illusory Phantom (or other team member) in the wrong place, throw his voice, and similar tricks.

Looks pretty cool! I didn't actually check any numbers, but I don't see anything that I wouldn't be okay with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brent Johnson wrote:
I don't know how much I'm going to be able to fit into 150 points, so I may have to scrap some forms, but here's at least a place to start

Alternate powers let you spend 1 additional point to add another version of the power that you can switch back and forth. So if you can build the most powerful form, each additional one should be only a single point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonsterMike wrote:
Advantages

Power Points

I count 22 advantages, not 19. Unless maybe you are gaining the three (benefit, ambidextrous, quick draw) only when using the device?

Also, what is your benefit, wealthy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Okay, seems the Conversion from 2E to 3E won't work properly for me. Gonna have to rebuild Solid State from the ground up.

Where are these free rules people have mentioned please? I've got the Hero Lab to help but nothing beats a rulebook...!

What does your 2e build look like? I could look it over, either here or in geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Bifford wrote:

What does your 2e build look like? I could look it over, either here or in geekmail.

Cool - I will scan it in and mail it Thanks

EDITed. Image sent - if anyone else wants to see his 2e version check my gallery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
MonsterMike wrote:
Advantages

Power Points

I count 22 advantages, not 19. Unless maybe you are gaining the three (benefit, ambidextrous, quick draw) only when using the device?

Also, what is your benefit, wealthy?

Ambidexterity is the benefit. Both quick draw and ambidexterity are associated with the pistols, but it would probably make more sense to take them out of the pistols and just have them as advantages.

I may want to quick draw a cigarette lighter left-handed, or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've skimmed through the rules and have six alternate forms (or rather, alternate effects of an alternate form) roughly outlined for Singularity: three larger than human, and three smaller.

Probably only three of them will see much use, but it seems a shame not to carry the concept through.

At the moment though, I've got no real idea how to balance the form builds. For example, does it make sense to make my standard form pretty much human-average across the board, except for Intellect? That's not the way the archetypes are built. I need to find some more example characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonsterMike wrote:
Ambidexterity is the benefit. Both quick draw and ambidexterity are associated with the pistols, but it would probably make more sense to take them out of the pistols and just have them as advantages.

I may want to quick draw a cigarette lighter left-handed, or something

I'd pull them out, but that's just my preference. But it may affect your point total, since your device is 3/5. Haven't checked the points specifically to see if that's the case.

I'd also write it as Benefit: Ambidexterity or Benefit (Ambidexterity).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.