Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
253 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 4-02: In Wrath's Shadow» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PFS - Bearpaw's 4-02: In Wrath's Shadow [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Recruitment thread
OOC thread

This is a PFS sanctioned game, running through Pathfinder Society Scenario 4-02: In Wrath's Shadow. For more information on Pathfinder Society Games on RPGG, check out our guild here.

Players:

Dominique Huysmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
N N
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar


Characters:

Character Player Class/Level PFS #

Kyra allyse Cleric 4 77969-4
Zyneste greenclaw Monk 3 74677-4
Seelah Unknown Ediology Paladin 4 XXXXX-X
Varag Beastbreaker ThatFedoraGuy Ranger 4 57945-1
Marlwise the Timid karpouzian Summoner 3 68635-1
Lem Blackjoy Bard 4 XXXXX-X


Nitty gritty

- Aim for one post a day. I may bot you through combat if you take a long time to reply. Obviously if you're unable to post for a time just let me know and we'll work around it, not a problem.
- For combat, I'll post maps via Google drive that everyone can access and edit.
- Thumb every post, so if your character has nothing to contribute to the current scene, I know that at least you're following along.
- Post your character statblock in this thread, and make sure to include your PFS number and faction. I'll get the IC thread up this week.
- Subscribe to this thread and the IC thread when it goes up!
- Most importantly, have fun!

IC posts:

- Descriptive text for your character actions in plain black.
- "Character speech" for what your character says in bold and in quotes, possibly in a different color for every player.
- Thoughts what your character is thinking, italicized.
- OOC (use [ ooc ] [ /ooc ] tags, comes out grey) for OOC questions and information that is directly relevant to what is going on in game.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Roused from sleep at an ungodly hour, you were all herded aboard the Winking Wyvern with unceremonious urgency. The sloop sets sail from Magnimar's harbor, final destination: Rivenrake Island and the ruins of Xin-Bakrakhan, ancient capital of the Thassilonian Runelord of Wrath.

A note from Venture-Captain Sheila Heidmarch informs you that a Society-funded dig team has uncovered a totally intact temple that appears to be associated with the goddess Lissala, buried for 10,000 years. Given the fresh revelations that this long-thought-dead cult is thriving and allied with the Aspis Consortium, it's a truly wonderful find, providing an unprecedented opportunity to gain knowledge of this forgotten faith. Even if the site turns out to not be dedicated to Lissala, learning more about the faiths and practices of ancient Thassilon always provides an abundance of knowledge. Often the items they use in their rituals lead to clues about the cults.

By now the work crew has finished clearing the site—the time to explore its secrets is at hand. The Society has no exclusive contract to the site, and Aspis Consortium agents scour the countryside seeking such ripe targets, so time is of the essence.

You're told that the archaeologists Halla Beusophis and Kovo Murse can answer any and all questions upon your arrival. A fellow Pathfinder ranger, Riemme Batelle, is also already on the island, ready to join in this exciting endeavor. Sheila Heidmarch has given you a charge: eliminate the ancient temple's dangers so that Society scholars can study the ruins safely, and bring back whatever knowledge lies within.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Early in your voyage, an anonymous sailor approaches you, handing over a leather pouch containing missives adressed to you.

So far, the sea journey proves uneventful, and the ship's crew gives you all a wide berth for some reason. Only Captain Haerla, a gruff dwarf with numerous braids in his blonde beard, seems open to speaking with you.

People with ranks in Knowledge (history) and Knowledge (religion) can make some relevant checks.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the missives, and learning of their destination, Seelah spends a moment reviewing all she's heard and studies in the past.



Knowledge (Religion) check d20+7 = (18) + 7 = 25
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 422495. Unknown Ediology
  • d20+7 =
  • (18) + 7 =
  • 25
  • Knowledge (Religion) check
  • Sun Sep 1, 2013 3:01 am
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zyneste, an attractive, but quiet, simple and introspective young woman, stands at the side of the boat, staring off into the horizon. Memories flood over her of the two boat trips that proved transitions into momentous new phases of her recent past.

One, full of joy and promise, as she sailed with her then husband-to-be, Juro, as they set sail from Absalom to his native Tian Xe to be wed. The second full of uncertainty and some trepidation, as she returned only a few years later, alone after her husband's untimely death.

Focussing again on her teachings, she sets her mind to the task at hand. Slowing her breathing, she concentrates on each breath, releasing one by one all the painful or fearful thoughts with each exhale. This was her first Pathfinder mission since she had completed her initial training. Excited to be working with Amara Li and the Lantern Lodge, she was soon informed of the news that her chosen faction no longer had a presence in the Inner Sea. Since then she had again retreated for a time into her meditations and practice, only now feeling ready to once more take an active role in the Society.

Seeing if she can remember anything of interest about the Thassilonians or their destination she reflects on any of her studies that may have touched on these subjects.

Know (history): 1d20+3 = (10) + 3 = 13





3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 422546. greenclaw
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (10) + 3 =
  • 13
  • Sun Sep 1, 2013 7:43 am
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seelah knows that Lissala was the goddes of fate, runes, and reward of service, and was especially prominent in Thassilon. Originally a more disciplined faith, her worship grew more reckless and decadent in Thassilon's waning years. Veneration of the deity was thought to have died along with Thassilon. Earlier in Bakrakhan's history, Lissala was widely worshipped, but as the runelords Alaznist came to power, Lissala's faith waned somewhat, and many of her temples were repurposed to venerate various demon lords.

Seelah is also aware that one of the more prominent fiends that received worship in these late days was Yamasoth, a nascent qlippoth lord of cursed kingdoms and vile experiments. Rites to Yamasoth included mortification of the flesh and experimental transformations. Alaznist was a dedicated follower of this Yamasoth, and sought to learn his ways so she could harness that power for her own armies.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zyneste does remember an old tome relating a bit of Thassilon's history. An ancient empire, it was ruled over by seven runelords, extremely powerful wizards. Xin-Bakrakhan was the capital city of Alaznist, one of these runelords, but Zyneste can't recall any further details about the rather dense material.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Varag grimaces, and runs his hand along his companions back. Ever since he had been betrayed by those he called his friends, he had been off. Both more subtle and more volatile. He had trained in the Worldwound for a period of time, and was ready to return to something more simple.

This sounded simple enough.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Winking Wyvern drops anchor off the island. "The harbor's been silted over years ago, so we'll 'ave to send ya lot ashore in a pair of launches," Captain Haerla says.

Once you step ashore, you're greeted by about a half-dozen of bedraggled souls, living in rugged tents large enough to house four times their current number. A grim-looking women, clad in work clothes, steps forward.

"Thank goodness you've arrived, I'm Halla Beusophis, lead archaeologist on the temple dig," she introduces herself.

"Two days ago workers at the dig site were attacked, by what or whom I don't know. I was here at camp when it happened. Only a single worker escaped—Shadaq, who crawled back here, bleeding from a dozen terrible injuries. The wounds were mortal and none of us here possessed the skill to aid him much. We got very little information before he passed away, but he told us of the attack, and said everyone had been 'gutted like game birds'. His last words—as his eyes violently rolled back in his head—were 'Lissala is angry, but so am I'."

Signs of emotional strain and fatigue line Halla's face as she continues, "The six of us are all that's left—myself and these five hired excavators. They've refused to go back to the site and I didn't dare go alone. We've been huddled in these damned tents since Wealday, waiting for your arrival. I'll take you to the dig myself, but I don't know what we'll find. If Shadaq's words are true, it won't be pretty. Only the gods know whether those same attackers lie in wait."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Varag listens carefully to the pathfinder and tries to ascertain if she is telling the truth. He trust no one any longer.

Sense Motive 1d20+3 = (4) + 3 = 7

Let's do this then. Could you describe what the wounds looked like?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 423037. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (4) + 3 =
  • 7
  • Sense Motive
  • Mon Sep 2, 2013 5:55 pm
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't notice any signs, or any reason, why she'd deceive you.

The woman answers your question with a shudder, saying "They were bad, real bad. The man was sliced to ribbons, bleeding profusely. I'm not a doctor, so I can deliver no insight in what caused them, and we've already buried the poor fellow."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N N
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
Lem had found the voyage enjoyable enough. He spent most of his time below decks in the galley. But the sloop was not that well provisioned and Lem was not able to sing and dance his way to much of a snack. Still, he did take the time recall what he know about these old legends.

Knowledge History) 1d20+4 = (6) + 4 = 10

Landing on the island, Lem kept from frowning at the news. The halfling's blue eyes and blonde hair made him stand out, along with his fine clothing. But he was still a halfling and other races tended to look past him, literally and figuratively.

"Cheer up lads, there are better days ahead. You've survived the worst of it."

Lem wanted to make a joke, but timing was everything and he figured he'd best show a little respect before running his mouth.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 423160. Blackjoy
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (6) + 4 =
  • 10
  • Knowledge History)
  • Mon Sep 2, 2013 10:10 pm
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seelah frowns as she hears the story. What sort of monster would commit such savagery? "Can you lead us to the site? The sooner we get underway, the sooner we can avenge their deaths. Also, do you have any equipment that we many need on our journey?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlwise, as usual, kept mostly to himself, and "puppy", his eidolon, as black and... Insubstantial as a displacer beast... In fact, some were surprised marlwise was even on the boat when she landed, as he tends to stay in corners, and behind boxes... Waiting...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lem doesn't recall anything about these matters as they are, his mind blanking for some reason.

"Yes, I'll take you there," Halla answers the paladin. "I'll show you what we have, it's not much, but you're free to help yourselves to whatever you think would be useful," and she shows you the excavation supply tent, stocked with all manner of equipment like picks and shovels, candles, torches, 100-foot lengths of rope and grappling hooks, pitons and climbing gear.

Assuming you help yourselves to the equipment you want, I'll move this along. If someone wants to do something else at the camp, we can fit that in retro-actively.

"I'm taking these people to the temple, stay here on the shore, and you'll be safe. We'll be back soon," Halla assures the other workers, before leading you further inward on the isle.

Almost as soon as you leave the shore behind, you begin to see ruins of an ancient city, hulking mounds of rock and debris all around, but Halla informs you that the actual dig site is about a two-mile trek. "The temple is an impressive free-standing domed structure, made of fitted tan stone, and remarkably well preserved—unnaturally well preserved even," she explains during the trek.

"There are two possible entrances on a pillared portico, both of them bricked over with stone and hardened clay. There’s also a circular opening at the peak of the dome, an oculus about 5 feet wide, but we stayed clear of that after discovering it during the excavation. Our work has consisted almost exclusively of moving away debris so the temple can be explored."


As you approach the digsite, a large temple looms ahead. Reaching it proves tricky, the area surrounding it littered with rocks, loose soil, and all manner of excavation debris. The temple itself is truly a breathtaking edifice, constructed of tightly fitted blocks of brown stone covered with intricate engravings depicting humans engaged in acts of terrible self-mutilation. A pillared portico girds the eastern front of the great temple, the carved columns resemble fat, coiled serpents. The structure stands about 20 feet tall, though a great dome rises out of the center another 20 feet. How this place could be more than 10,000 years old defies logic—some sorcery must have preserved the stone.

The stench of blood is the only greeting upon arrival at the excavated temple. Before an imposing stone structure lie a few stripped and eviscerated bodies bearing terrible wounds that go far beyond the marks of battle in their viciousness, and furrows in the fresh dirt indicating that others have been dragged inside. Halla covers her mouth to stifle a cry, then rushes to the side of one of the bodies, falling to her knees. "Kovo! Oh, Kovo, look how they butchered you!"

MAP
If people can provide me with a picture of their characters (namely Varag and Marlwise) I can make some tokens, just in case combat and death ensues.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Huysmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing the slaughter, Kyra mutters a prayer to Sarenrae for the fallen. "What creature could do this?" She says while inspecting the bodies, trying to get a clue.

Heal check 1d20+11 = (13) + 11 = 24
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 423478. allyse
  • 1d20+11 =
  • (13) + 11 =
  • 24
  • Heal check
  • Tue Sep 3, 2013 9:27 am
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyra finds that the wounds were caused by bladed weapons, claws, and teeth, the latter of which definitely not human. She also deduces that some of the wounds were made post-mortem, and that the bodies have been feasted upon, some of them partly eaten.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seelah steps up beside Kyra as she surveys the scene. A look of sorrow, and disgust, crosses the paladin's face at the sight of it all. "Any ideas what might have caused something like this? Or how many there might have been?" In order to answer her own questions, Seelah begins examining the massacre site for any signs of footprints or items left behind to hint at what, and how many, creatures attacked the expedition.


Take 20 on Perception for 21 total.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zyneste stands watch while the others investigate the scene, her bow at the ready. She watches the temple and the edges of the clearing for any signs of movement or possible threats. She stands still, every muscle relaxed but ready to spring into action. Only her eyes slowly move, surveying the scene.

Perception: 1d20+10 = (5) + 10 = 15
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 423608. greenclaw
  • 1d20+10 =
  • (5) + 10 =
  • 15
  • Tue Sep 3, 2013 2:19 pm
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Varag inspects the wounds to determine what kind of creature might have caused this. In particular, he is looking for signs of Magical Beasts.

Knowledge Arcana 1d20+6 = (2) + 6 = 8 (-4 if not by magical beasts)

I added a link to Varag's token in the character post
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 423653. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (2) + 6 =
  • 8
  • Knowledge Arcana
  • Tue Sep 3, 2013 3:31 pm
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Varag looks for prints to better understand what he is tracking now.

Tracking 1d20+8 = (19) + 8 = 27
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 423654. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d20+8 =
  • (19) + 8 =
  • 27
  • Tracking
  • Tue Sep 3, 2013 3:34 pm
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seelah quickly notices that the northeastern wall has been breached. Strewn about outside, you also find a masterwork longsword, coated with dried blood, a half-full quiver of arrows, and a broken longbow.

Varag finds no clues about what kind of creature could have caused this, but he does find a lot of strange prints, leading to and from the breach in the temple's wall. He also finds some clawed footprints that appear and disappear suddenly, as if from a flying creature.

Halla gathers her wits again, and aids you in examining the gruesome scene. She identifies the equipment Seelah found as belonging to the pathfinder Riemme Batelle, that you were supposed to meet up with here.

"He's not among the bodies, and there are others missing as well. Two dig workers, Pel and Saala, and four laborers aren't here. And that," Halla says pointing at the breached wall, "That's not our work. I was here yesterday, and all exterior surfaces were still intact. Kovo and Riemme would not have allowed that to happen—we all agreed to wait for your arrival before removing the barrier."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Avatar
Bearpaw wrote:


Varag finds no clues about what kind of creature could have caused this, but he does find a lot of strange prints, leading to and from the breach in the temple's wall. He also finds some clawed footprints that appear and disappear suddenly, as if from a flying creature.

Varag looks to the skies.

"It looks as if something flew down onto them and then possibly flew off or entered the temple. I can't identify these prints, and that disturbs me. I suggest we go in and find what's left of your people."

Varag draws a scimitar and a whip and crosses to the breach.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N N
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
Lem, usually with a smile, had trouble keeping his composure. Pathfinders faced death for breakfast. Common folks were not prepared for such naked aggression. Lem also tries to examine the wounds and the clues left behind in order to identify the creatures that might be responsible.

Take 10 on all identify monster K.checks = 14 except for Arcana which which is a 20.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] |