Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2013 [+] [View All]
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the in-character thread to the Lost City (B4) adventure, using the Labyrinth Lord core rules:
http://goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.html

Only the GM and players of this campaign may post to this thread.

For anyone else, and for character creation, rules debates, and any other extensive out-of-character comments, please use the OOC thread:
[OOC] D&D B4 The Lost City

The character sheets for this adventure can be found here:
B4 The Lost City Character Sheet Geeklist

Okay. Here we go!

Days ago, all of you joined a desert caravan. The rations were ample and you found great company among your fellow travelers. But as you pressed on, you realized that the caravan leader was a bit pig-headed and more concerned with meeting his schedule than the safety of the travelers. Despite prognostications from the seers of a big storm coming, he did not make any preparations for dealing with such a tumult.

Then, halfway across the desert, a terrible sandstorm struck. The caravan erupted into chaos. Children separated from their parents screamed in the desert wind. Frightened mounts reared and threw their riders. All of you somehow were able to secure your camels and supplies and hunker down until the storm passed. When the storm died down, you found you were alone. The caravan was nowhere in sight. The desert was unrecognizable, as the dunes had been blown into new patterns. You were lost.

You headed east, the same way the caravan was headed before the storm. Days passed. Your mounts died, your rations were depleted and you soon drank the last of your water. The end of the desert was not in sight.

Please delete any rations, water, wine or other beverages from your equipment lists. You still have waterskins, etc., just no water to fill them!

The second day after your water ran out, you stumbled upon a number of stone blocks sticking out of a sand dune. Investigation showed that the sand covered the remains of a tall stone wall. On the other side of the stone wall was a ruined city.

The stone blocks of the city had toppled and cracked with the passing of time. Sand had covered most of the buildings. The stones that remained uncovered had been scoured smooth by the blowing sands.

In the center of the city towered a step-pyramid. It had five tiers, each 20' high. The bottom-most tier was almost completely covered with sand. On top of the highest tier were three 30' tall statues.

The statue on the left was of a strong, bearded man holding a balance in one hand and a lightning bolt in the other. The middle statue was of a winged child with two snakes twined about its body. The child held a wand in one hand and a handful of coins in the other. The statue on the right was of a beautiful woman. In her hands she held a sheaf of wheat and a sword.

Looking up at the three huge statues staring down at you, you realize that you have only 24 hours until you'll start dying of thirst, and this pyramid may be your only hope.

On the south side of the structure, a ramp with stairs led from the ground to the top of the highest tier. A quick search of the ruins revealed no source of food or water, so you decided to climb the pyramid. In the side of the ramp, level with the floor of the top tier, you found a secret door ...

The slab of stone that hid the secret entrance to the pyramid is now held open by the dead body of a hobgoblin. The body has a large crossbow bolt sunk deep in its chest. The hobgoblin has been dead several weeks.

Note: Most of the text above is from the original module, with some of my own description added in for flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Owl had been praying to Heironeous for a miracle even since the sand-storm had blown up. Well, here it is - the miracle!

"See, Oswold. I told you Heironeous would see us right and true! Faith will never let you down and even in your dieing moments remember that it is all according to our Gods' plan. In fact that first statue bears a striking resemblance to him.

So, gentlemen. We have searched the rest of the ruins and found no water. It would appear that if we are to survive we must venture in to this here pyramid and find sustenance. Though from the looks of this poor chap we will have to fight for it. I recommend we put on our armour before we venture in."

OOC: You said how tall each step is but not how long each tiers side is. So how wide is this top tier? Will it be obvious that we have to head downwards straight away or would there be room enough for a decent amount of corridors on this level before we descend?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The top tier is about 50' x 50', the next tier down is about 140' x 140', and each tier gets bigger as you go down. The only entrance you have found is to the top tier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chubby chews his last piece of garlic, thoughtfully. It stings his mouth, but helps the little saliva he has left to flow.

"I daresay, Owl, that finding anything edible in a Pharoah's tomb would be quite extraordinary. But my tummy grumbles so. I'd eat petrified fruit and mummified rats if I could get my hands on them."

OOC: I don't touch the body. Do I see any gear on the hobgoblin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The body has no equipment, just tattered clothing. If it had had any equipment, it has been taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I agree, we most go in. Someone of something killed this hobgoblin and if they are alive then that means there must be water somewhere inside here otherwise nothing could service the sand."

Bug is going to peek through the door to see what is in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Iam
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A dark place in the desert is never going to be unoccupied..especially if there is water

Sarac draws his sword and, taking a skeptical look at the statues, moves into the doorway with Bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamesbv7 wrote:
"I agree, we most go in. Someone of something killed this hobgoblin and if they are alive then that means there must be water somewhere inside here otherwise nothing could service the sand."

Bug is going to peek through the door to see what is in there.

The door is propped open by the body, but it's not ajar anymore than the width of the hobgoblin. So you just see the corridor wall, which is made of the same stone as the pyramid's exterior. The door will have to be pushed open if one is to see down the hallway. You also realize that, though the light from outside will filter in a bit, it may quickly get dark once you are inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Row
United States
Culver City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Letting his eyes adjust to the darkness in order to focus on the wall inside, Kettilecq hesitates a moment.

"I wonder whether this hobgoblin was surprised by a living creature or, perhaps, something more mechanical," he muses to his newfound comrades. "If we are to open this door, let us do so carefully. He seems to not have done so."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Cuthbert has provided and we must not baulk.

I will light one of my torches and thrust it through the doorway to see if that helps us to see further.

Oh, sorry Bug, didn't see you there. Sarac, careful with that sword of yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WarMonger2009 wrote:

Cuthbert has provided and we must not baulk.

I will light one of my torches and thrust it through the doorway to see if that helps us to see further.

Oh, sorry Bug, didn't see you there. Sarac, careful with that sword of yours.

With the help from the torch, you are able to look through the door's opening. In the flickering light, you see a 10-foot wide corridor that runs about 20 feet before turning north. The passage floor is covered with dust. Several pairs of footprints can be seen leading inward. In a niche in the far end of the hall, just before it turns, you see a crossbow pointing at you.

OOC: On my maps, 1 square = 5 feet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CPiz wrote:

With the help from the torch, you are able to look through the door's opening. In the flickering light, you see a 10-foot wide corridor that runs about 20 feet before turning north. The passage floor is covered with dust. Several pairs of footprints can be seen leading inward. In a niche in the far end of the hall, just before it turns, you see a crossbow pointing at you.

OOC: On my maps, 1 square = 5 feet.

I don't like the look of that.

I step back and tell everybody what I could see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The crossbow looks to be at about chest level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
While the others play with the door Owl slides his pack off his shoulder and starts to take out the plate mail, then carefully starts to buckle it on to his body. It takes him a good five minutes to do this, but at the end he stands up and the glaring sun hits his breastplate and shines like a beacon, dazzling anyone looking at him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Row
United States
Culver City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having removed his chain mail armor to avoid overheating in the hot sun, Kettilecq unpacks his, as well, donning it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bug quickly gets his armor on and weapons ready. Bug lays down on the groaned. and starts sneaking forward to the crossbow. He makes sure his head never gets to the crossbows level.

OOC: Bug is going to use move silently up to the crossbow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamesbv7 wrote:
Bug quickly gets his armor on and weapons ready. Bug lays down on the groaned. and starts sneaking forward to the crossbow. He makes sure his head never gets to the crossbows level.

Bug slowly makes his way down the corridor, when he gets close enough to get a better look, he cranes his neck to peer up at the crossbow and realizes it's not loaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Iam
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting his finger to his lips to motion for silence, Sarac steps in after Bugs and motions the others forward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CPiz wrote:
Jamesbv7 wrote:

Bug slowly makes his way down the corridor, when he gets close enough to get a better look, he cranes his neck to peer up at the crossbow and realizes it's not loaded.

OOC: Sorry. I should have put this in a spoiler for Bug to reveal himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The crossbow is not loaded I think its safe, but just in case walk carefully.

Bug is going to check to make sure there are no other traps. if there are no others then he is going to try and take the crossbow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You all move up to the corner of the corridor, realizing now that the crossbow's bolt had been spent on the hobgoblin. The corridor turns north and ends at a stone door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamesbv7 wrote:
The crossbow is not loaded I think its safe, but just in case walk carefully.

Bug is going to check to make sure there are no other traps. if there are no others then he is going to try and take the crossbow.

As far as Bug can tell, there are no other traps around the crossbow. He can take the weapon, which is a light crossbow, but it will take 2 turns (20 minutes) to free it from its housing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Doh!

Oswald puts his armour on and then slowly moves forward through the door to join Bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Row
United States
Culver City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
His hand on the pommel of his long sword, Kettilecq makes his way down the hallway with the rest of the party, his elven infravision obscured by the torchlight.

"Thank you for braving that trap, Bug! Perhaps we should establish a marching order," he says. "We can diverge from it as needed when Bug or Peevus need to scout ahead."

I'd propose an order of Owl, Bug, Kettilecq, Chubby, Peevus, Spensor, Sarac, and Oswald to benefit from higher ACs in the front and the rear.

As Kettilecq walks, he goes over the arcane gestures and wording necessary to cast Sleep, the spell he prepared from his spell book this morning before the others woke. Who knows what dangers they'll encounter? And when they'll get to sleep again themselves? This is just to establish what spell I have prepared; I'm not going to put you all to sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chubby dons his Studded Leather and follows the group in, looking up at his comrades and considering the crossbow for a second.

"I'm fine with the marching order, though you may need someone small that can walk under mounted crossbows. How many lights should be lit? Once we breach the next door we may want a torch or lamp in the rear should we have to run. "

OOC: Chubby will go along with the consensus for marching order should something happen before my next login.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [32] |