Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
343 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 5-02: The Wardstone Patrol» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: UE 5-02 The Wardstone Patrol (IC) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Following their latest exploits in Varisia, the Pathfinders find themselves hustled off towards Mendev. Mendev's Pathfinder lodge in the capital city of Nerosyan is housed within Starrise Spire, a defensive tower in he outer wall whose pinnacle glows with celestial light that shines out like a beacon, simultaneously giving comfort to Nerosyan's defenders and acting as a warning to any who might wish the city harm.

Venture-Captain Jorsal of Lauterbury calls a short meeting on a covered balcony overlooking the city. A middle-aged Mwangi man with greying hair, he closes the door to the spire's interior and takes a seat in one of the set-up camp chairs, gesturing for his guests to do the same.

"We Pathfinders of Mendev," he states, making a sweeping hand gesture that encompasses everyone present, [b]"have our own agendas, but these must sometimes give way to the greater need: the protection of this land and its people from the horrors that dwell in the Worldwound.

We are here by the grace of her majesty, Queen Galfrey of Mendev. Without her support, we would surely be run out of town by Hulrun's more fervent followers. Our agreement with her states that all Pathfinders are required to volunteer some of their time in the defense of the realm. As relative newcomers, I've recommended you to take part in a minor military mission under the command of a veteran crusader named Sir Ilivan of Erages. Although he is not a Pathfinder, you would be wise to follow his advice, as he has been fighting the Abyssal spawn longer than some of you have been alive. I expect you will give hiim the respect he deserve."


 
Venture-Captain Jorsal stands and opens the heavy wooden door leading back into the lodge, revealing a tall half-elven man clad in heavy plate armor, wearing a red tabard typical of the Mendevian Crusaders, and carrying a cavalry helmet in his left hand. He gives a professional nod to Jorsal before striding to the front of the group, surveying everyone with poorly disguised disappointment.

"Pathfinders," he barks in quick staccato without further preamble, "our mission is simple. The recent attacks on the wardstones have compromised our defenses, and the enemy presses its advantage. We have received word of attacks on Fort Portolmaeus to the north, but the crusader leadership suspects that other parts of the line may have been breached as well. We will proceed to Fort Portolmaeus tomorrow morning on horseback to assess the daamge, using the passphrase 'That the Black Prince might be redeemed' to permit us entry. On the way there, we will scout for enemy movements and other signs of demon activity. Once we have completed our assessment, we are to return to Nerosyan and you will be relieved of your obligations to the Crown. Do you have any questions?"

Pics of the two men are forthcoming
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kasper nods along with the two men as they speak. Apologies sirs, this is my first time this far north, and I'm wondering what sorts of 'enemies' you expect. From what I've read there are demons and devils and the like, but is there anything else we should have a particularly watchful eye out for? Or any gear that will come in particularly handy up here?

K:Local 1d20+5 = (18) + 5 = 23
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 416283. MikeHadfield
  • 1d20+5 =
  • (18) + 5 =
  • 23
  • K:Local
  • Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:22 am
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeHadfield wrote:
Kasper nods along with the two men as they speak. Apologies sirs, this is my first time this far north, and I'm wondering what sorts of 'enemies' you expect. From what I've read there are demons and devils and the like, but is there anything else we should have a particularly watchful eye out for? Or any gear that will come in particularly handy up here?

MikeHadfield previously rolled 1d20+5 = (18) + 5 = 23 (K:Local)

Sir Ilivan steps up to answer Kasper's question. "Excelletn question. Since the last major attack, the demonic armies have retreated into the Worldwound's interior. We will most likely face minor demons sent to test the current efficacy of the wardstones. Expect dretches, brimoraks, and possibly schirs. I recommend everyone has cold iron weaponry at their disposal, and a cold weather outfits. The nights drop to below freezing in this part of Avistan.

The Mendevian Crown will grant each of you the use of a light, non-combat trained horse or pony, along with a saddle, bit and bridle, and saddlebags with two days of feed."


The talk of Mendev and the Worldwound has been all the buzz, as of late. Kasper knows the Mendevian Crusades began almost a century ago when a rift to the Abyss opened in the barbarian kingdom of Sarkoris. The church of the goddess Iomedae called the First Crusade, and it was largely a success. The wardstones, magical menchirs of tremendous power, were built during the Second Crusade. They project a powerful field capable of destroying all but the most powerful demons. Built near the banks of the West Sellen and Moutray Rivers, they stopped the expansion of the Worldwound until very recently. The wardstones recently failed, coinciding with a large attack on Nerosyan. No doubt the demons are at least indirectly responsible.

Kasper has also heard about Sir Ilivan, who's reputation preceeds him. The half-elven soldier was a smuggler on Lake Encarthan before joining the Mendevian Crusades, a fact he is not ashamed to admit. Sir Ilivan rose from the ranks of the enlisted to become an officer and was knighted by Queen Galfrey. The knight hails from the half-elven settlement of Erages in Kyonin, where he had to endure prejudice and segregation throughout his youth. He later joined Kyonin's military, but ultimately left his homeland after being discharged from this military for striking an elven officer.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the process of posting something similar to Mike, but was called away and had to close my laptop.

Melchior nods at Kasper's question, the same thought in his mind. He rises as Sir Ilivan finishes. "Sir Ilivan, like Kasper I have never travelled to this part of the world and I have never encountered the demons you mention. Is there anything that these creatures are immune to or have resistance to?"

Knowledge (planes) Take 10 10+8 = 10 + 8 = 18 to identify the special powers and vulnerabilities of the above mentioned demons.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 416324. batcut
  • 10+8 =
  • 10 + 8 =
  • 18
  • Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:26 pm
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyra yelps a protest, "What? I joined the Pathfinders and wake up to find myself drafted into the army? I take no orders other than from my goddess, Sarenrae!"

KN Religion+ Guidance 1d20+7+1 = (13) + 7 + 1 = 21

Diplomacy (gather info)+Guidance 1d20+9+1 = (4) + 9 + 1 = 14
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 416406. not2fear
  • 1d20+7+1 =
  • (13) + 7 + 1 =
  • 21
  • KN Religion+ Guidance
  • Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:43 pm
  • [+]
  • 416407. not2fear
  • 1d20+9+1 =
  • (4) + 9 + 1 =
  • 14
  • Diplomacy (gather info)+Guidance
  • Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:44 pm
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
batcut wrote:
I was in the process of posting something similar to Mike, but was called away and had to close my laptop.

Melchior nods at Kasper's question, the same thought in his mind. He rises as Sir Ilivan finishes. "Sir Ilivan, like Kasper I have never travelled to this part of the world and I have never encountered the demons you mention. Is there anything that these creatures are immune to or have resistance to?"

Knowledge (planes) Take 10 batcut previously rolled 10+8 = 10 + 8 = 18 to identify the special powers and vulnerabilities of the above mentioned demons.

"As I said, make sure you have cold iron. It will bypass most of their natural defenses. If you're looking for immunities, well; you can bet most demons don't bat an eye at electricity or poison, and all heavily resistant to acid, cold, and fire. Spells also have a lesser effect upon schirs, while brimoraks are fire-based demons."

Gave your knowledge info in what Ilivan said, as well.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
not2fear wrote:
Kyra yelps a protest, "What? I joined the Pathfinders and wake up to find myself drafted into the army? I take no orders other than from my goddess, Sarenrae!"

not2fear previously rolled 1d20+7+1 = (13) + 7 + 1 = 21 (KN Religion+ Guidance)

not2fear previously rolled 1d20+9+1 = (4) + 9 + 1 = 14 (Diplomacy (gather info)+Guidance)

Venture-Captain Jorsal narrows his eyes at Kyra's outburst. "You are also a Pathfinder, and have duties and obligations as such. If you wish to relinquish that honor, than you may leave now. Otherwise, as Pathfinders, our contract with Queen Galfrey requires you to serve faithfully. While this does not explicitly state that you must follow orders to the letter, ensure that you don't recklessly threaten the mission or the lives of other crusaders with your actions. If you have an objection, voice it; crusaders arrive from all backgrounds, but they are united by a common cause and a faith in good. I imagine Sarenrae would approve."

Kyra cannot recall anything more than Kasper.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kasper steps forward to mollify Jorsal. Don't worry Venture-Captain, we'll keep her in line. Then with a conspiratorial whisper he leans forward. She's a pregen, and you know how they can be a little... well, you know...

Anyways, shall we be getting on? Where'd those witches get to? I swear the Mel said something about witches...


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyra grits her teeth and huffs out of the room, muttering darkly about the new season, how all her stuff seems to be sideways, how the faction leaders don't even bother to send them a nice letter at the start of the mission any more, and how their "hazard pay" has been reduced.
"And to top it all off, we're expected to face demons! With this outdated and obsolete equipment?"
Kyra lifts up her sheathed scimitar and gives it an irritated shake.

She then leaves to spend most of her money on a cold iron scimitar and 20 cold iron sling bullets.

"Now back when Shadow Lodge was still around..."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to be late. I had this thread subscribed and must have accidentally unsubscribed it somehow.

A young girl with long flowing red hair rushes in towards the end of the briefing, a grumpy looking black raven sitting on top of her shoulder. "Sorry I'm late...I'm Seldanna! You can blame my tardiness on Lonan here. As soon as he found out where we were being sent he flew off in a fit. It took me almost half a day to catch him!"

"CAAAAWWW!!! I no like demons...even the bad Museum is better!"


Dusting off her coat the young witch unties a piece of string from her familiar's leg, which he then shakes in the air before crawling down into the hood hanging at his mistress's back.

"Yes well...perhaps we can learn something interesting up here. I can't say I've ever been this far North...did someone say there was more than one witch on this mission? Where is she?" Seldanna looks around a little anxiously, clearly a little nervous at the thought of meeting another practitioner of 'the Craft'.

Seldanna will also pick up 20 Cold Iron Crossbow Bolts before heading out.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyra laughs, "Maybe she wandered off into the Worldwound first and we can catch up with her."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Hermance
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As the briefing winds down, a noise can be heard on top of the covered balcony. As the rest of the group looks out to see what the noise is, a diminutive figure in a dark cape falls slowly onto the balcony from the roof.

"So, did I miss anything? Am I late? I didn't think at first I was late, but then thought about it and maybe I was late, so I told myself to make a grand entrance. Was it grand or just so-so? I need to work on that I suppose. So did I miss anything? Am I late? I was always told if you are late to make a grand entrance. Was it grand? I still don't think I am late."

Belea then says not another word and skips over to an empty chair and sits down. Waiting for the briefing to start.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonan flutters out of Seldanna's hood and flies over to the chair next to Belea. "CAAAWWWW! You witchy too like mistress?" The raven looks inquisitively over the newly arrived witch's person. "Where your bird? CAAAWW?"

Seldanna goes a little red, quickly pulling up her hood and suddenly becoming very interested in examining the stitching on her sleeves.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"So nice of you to join us, Belea. I trust you will not be late in your duties again." This is all the response she receive from Jorsal. The man then turns to the group and gives a nod. "Very well, suit up and meet Sir Ilivan at the gates. The sooner you get this done, the sooner you can go back to whatever other passtimes you choose. We've already sent another Pathfinder, Ajax, to round up the horses, so you should find him waiting for you at the city gates." Turning, Jorsal offers Sir Ilivan a nod before the pair turn and exit the balcony.

If you wish to make any purchases, now would be the time to do so. Ajax (I think this is who Blackjoy will be playing) should be along shortly.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Hermance
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Belea stands up and looks at the bird, gives an evil smile and lift her cape up to show her the satchel carrying Schenker and says... "Scorpion"

She then cocks her head to the side and says "Horses? Horses?" Belea turns to the balcony's edge and skips off and floats slowly to the ground below.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonan flies back to his mistress's shoulder. "She cranky like you! CAAAWW! She got scorpy-thing! CAAAWW! It can't even talk!"

A slight smile crosses Seldanna's lips before she gathers her things and walks with the rest of the group to the horses.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heading towards the door Kasper casts a glance at Mel and raises his eyebrows. You ever worked with a witch before?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pathfinders all congregate at the gates, where Sir Ilivan awaits. Once everyone has mounted up on their light horses, he wheels his own mount around and trudges off into the landscape.

The patrol moves along the River Road, a normally well-used thoroughfare that follows the eastern bank of the West Sellen River. The path remains within sight of the river for the entire first leg of the journey.

After riding for a few miles, Sir Ilivan begins to speak to the group once more. "Up ahead is Bedis. It used to be a small Mendevian fishing and farming village, until about 40 years ago, when the increase in demon attacks forced its inhabitants to relocate. Now its used as a rest stop for riders. But, it has also been used by the enemy as a staging area." As he speaks, Sir Ilivan turns off the River Road onto a small, overgrown path that cuts through drooping evergreens. After a few trots along the path, he dismounts and ties his mare to a tree, motioning for the Pathfinders to do the same.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyra gets off her horse, grateful to find her feet on solid ground again. "Staging area.... Hmmm. Perhaps someone should scout it out?" She looks meaningfully at Kaspar.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seldanna dismounts from her horse as well, and looks around with some trepidation. "Which direction is this village and how far? I could have my raven scout in the air as well." She looks meaningfully at Lonan. Lonan looks anxiously at her.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pointing to the top of a nearby hill, Sir Ilivin replies, "If we climb up the top of that hill, crawling for the last part, it would give us a decent vantage point to observe the town. However, if you prefer to send in your bird, you may. I just hope nothing sees it."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
Australia
North Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"CAAAWWW! Hill look good!" Lonan puffs up his feathers and settles down on Seldanna's shoulder.

"Hmmmph!" The young red-headed witch casts a glance over to Belea. I wonder if she has this much trouble with her scorpion!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Hermance
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Belea grins as if reading Seldanna's mind and turns to her. "That is why I leave Schenker tucked away in his satchel. He gives me no trouble there. I may let you borrow it if you would like." then she quietly laughs.
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing no objections, Sir Ilivan promptly turns and begins to lead the group up a nearby hill dotted with gnarled apple trees. Just before reaching the top of the hill, he motions for the group to drop prone and crawl the rest of the way.

As they reach the crest of the hill, the group sees an abandoned village lying at the foot of the hill on the banks of the West Sellen River, its decaying structures slowly melting back into the landscape. Between the hill and the village proper lie flooded fields sectioned off by raised, earthen walkways that converge on a larger, dry area.

Standing in the open dry patch in the middle of the fields is a group of what appears to be six Mendevian commoners. Two lie on the ground in obvious pain, while the rest stand in a circle, holding threshes, spades, pitchforks, and other farming implements. A small heap of bodies - dead by all appearances - lies near them. As the group watches, one of the deceased humans in the pile of bodies suddenly stands up, seemingly rising from the dead, and begins to shamble towards the others. In addition, two of the standing humans turn towards the two in pain, raising their implements high as they strike the hurt men.

Sir Ilivan takes in the entire sight before him and lets out an odd sigh of antipathy. With no sign of emotion, or rather, the distinct lack of any emotion, Sir Ilivan wheels his hand around, ordering the Pathfinders to descend the slope back towards the horses.


Anyone who wishes may make a Knowledge (Planes) check, at the moment. Or a Sense Motive check.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyra looks at the scene and Sir Ilivan curiously. "These crusaders are a heartless and craven lot." She asks Sarenrae to bless her with the wisdom and insight to see what is in the hearts of these men.
Sense Motive (take 10)+Guidance 10+4+1 = 10 + 4 + 1 = 15

Kyra also invites Sarenrae to bless her endeavours to persuade Sir Ilivan. Military orders be damned. The edicts of Sarenrae clearly dictate that the helpless and weak must be helped. She is not going to shy away from disobeying orders to act in the name of Sarenrae and do her will.

"Sir Ilivan, my faith does not allow me to stand idly by while innocents are tortured and killed. With your permission, will rescue them- alone if I must." Kyra says firmly, looking him in the eye.
Diplomacy (take 10) +Enhance Diplomacy 10+9+2 = 10 + 9 + 2 = 21
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 419059. not2fear
  • 10+4+1 =
  • 10 + 4 + 1 =
  • 15
  • Sense Motive (take 10)+Guidance
  • Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:05 am
  • [+]
  • 419061. not2fear
  • 10+9+2 =
  • 10 + 9 + 2 =
  • 21
  • Diplomacy (take 10) +Enhance Diplomacy
  • Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:11 am
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] |