Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Norrel rocks absentmindedly as he watches Nester inspect the item.

Very well then. Are you okay with this trade?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arslanian
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While acting casual, he stops himself from turning his head too quickly when he hears the whisper. When he does turn and sees no one there, he notices someone struggling to get up on the bar stool. Ah, he thinks, must be Fahl. How does he throw his voice like that?

Is Monte pretty sure that all the Pathfinders are seen as a group by most everyone there but the newly arrived folks? No chance deceiving the bartender that he doesn't know Fahl?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brent Johnson wrote:
..."There's something...no, never mind."
Nestor's hesitation catches Rothul's attention. He leans over and asks Nestor a question in his ear. "What is it that gives you pause, Nestor. Please do tell."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jarslan wrote:
Is Monte pretty sure that all the Pathfinders are seen as a group by most everyone there but the newly arrived folks? No chance deceiving the bartender that he doesn't know Fahl?
It's hard to say about the patrons, but it seems a near certainty that the bartender is quite aware that the Pathfinders are a single party.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
Nestor's hesitation catches Rothul's attention. He leans over and asks Nestor a question in his ear. "What is it that gives you pause, Nestor. Please do tell."
Nester shakes his head, frowning. "If I could put my finger on anything in particular," he murmurs, "I would feel a lot more comfortable. But as it stands, I have no basis on which to reject the exchange."

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized I've been misspelling Nester's name with an 'or' at the end. Doh!

Rothul remembers that their orders are simply to protect Nester and bring him back safely, so he clears his mind of any concern Nester may have had about the box. Rothul resumes his position of standing guard beside Nester and allows the exchange to continue unhindered. "Very well," he murmurs back at Nester.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching these discussions, Shoalo apparently concludes that everything is settled. He stands, saying breezily in his high-pitched voice, "Excellent! It's been a pleasure doing business with you. Now, if you'll excuse us, I hate to have such valuable artifacts exposed to public view any longer than necessary." He scoops up the Pathfinders' artifact, bundling it hastily into the cloth wrappings he'd used previously for his own relic. Nester watches with a frustrated expression on his face.

Then, as Shoalo turns to leave, Nester's eyes suddenly widen and he half rises from his chair. "Wait! The gem setting! That's a Qadiran technique! This artifact is a fake!"

At the bar, Fahl's eyes meet those of the bartender. Her mouth twists in a faint sneer of scorn and malice. Fahl watches as she deliberately opens her hand, letting the glass she holds fall to the floor. The sound of its shattering echoes through the room as the bartender closes her eyes, and her lips and fingers begin shaping a spell.

Initiative
Norrel 1d20 = (10) = 10
Rothul 1d20+4 = (18) + 4 = 22
Monte 1d20+6 = (5) + 6 = 11
Fahl 1d20+4 = (19) + 4 = 23
Nester 1d20+1 = (8) + 1 = 9
Shoalo 1d20+1 = (7) + 1 = 8
Ahrmisa 1d20+1 = (15) + 1 = 16
Bartender 1d20+6 = (1) + 6 = 7

Monte and Fahl may act in the surprise round along with the bartender, since they are watching her. So Monte and Fahl each get a standard or move action now.

I assume that Monte and Fahl are both sitting.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 434085. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20 =
  • (10) =
  • 10
  • Norrel
  • Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:59 am
  • [+]
  • 434086. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (18) + 4 =
  • 22
  • Rothul
  • Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:59 am
  • [+]
  • 434087. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (5) + 6 =
  • 11
  • Monte
  • Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:00 am
  • [+]
  • 434088. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (19) + 4 =
  • 23
  • Fahl
  • Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:00 am
  • [+]
  • 434089. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (8) + 1 =
  • 9
  • Nester
  • Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:00 am
  • [+]
  • 434090. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (7) + 1 =
  • 8
  • Shoalo
  • Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:00 am
  • [+]
  • 434091. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (15) + 1 =
  • 16
  • Ahrmisa
  • Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:01 am
  • [+]
  • 434092. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (1) + 6 =
  • 7
  • Bartender
  • Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:01 am
Arslanian
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about this.

If she's fixing to cast a spell, disrupting her can put her off the spell, correct? I was thinking I could throw a dagger but I'm not sure how much of her I can see. Monte is sitting down.

Or

Could he run to the bar, jump over it and tackle her? I'm guess he can't incorporate a knife plunge into the neck/chest as he tackles her.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some things the Pathfinder rules doesn't cover very well. What it means to be sitting down is one of them (so far as I know). I'm going to say that it's a swift action to stand up. However, as a 1st-level rogue without the Quick Draw feat, Monte would have to spend a move action to draw a weapon. And the bar being in the way would prevent Monte from doing anything like a charge (and would grant the bartender cover).

Frankly, if the bartender is casting a spell that only takes a standard action, I can't see anything Monte can do about it.

However, I invite you to think about why you are here, and not to get too fixated on the bartender. You may be able to come up with something useful to do.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Fahl
Fahl throws his glass at the bartender.

Throwing an improvised weapon 1d20+1 = (10) + 1 = 11
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 434170. schizoid
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (10) + 1 =
  • 11
  • Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:25 am
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that is funny. Fahl, in a perfect position to cast a non-lethal spell without even catching any innocent bystanders in its area of effect, throws a glass instead!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Well, we Halflings are a wild bunch The main reason behind this is that Fahl felt a lot of high-level magic + spell resistance. On the other hand, such a simple thing as throwing a glass can stop the caster by disturbing his concentration. Just needed to try.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If Fahl's action is in character, then that's great! However, in this particular case, I'm afraid I telegraphed the bartender's spell-casting. Her spell has a casting time of a standard action, so Fahl doesn't actually have an opportunity to interrupt her. There isn't a concentration check in this case.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arslanian
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about he tries to take the artifact back. He could make it for J25 covering parts of the entrance and be in position to snatch it away.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that Monte will still get his first full turn before Shoalo gets to do anything, that seems like a reasonable approach to take.


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arslanian
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He does that, to J25
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The bartender seems not to notice Fahl's glass hurtling past her right ear. Monte has barely managed to leap up and reach Shoalo when her spell goes off.

The lamp on the table next to Monte explodes, sending a shower of broken glass in all directions along with flashing, multicolored streams of fire which shoot throughout the tavern in a blinding burst of light. Many of the tavern's patrons scream in shock and fright.

Even before the fireworks cease, smoke billows out from where the lamp used to be, spreading into a choking cloud.

Everyone needs to make a DC 15 Will save or be blinded for 1d4+1 rounds. Those within the cloud also need to make a DC 15 Fortitude save or take -4 to Strength and Dexterity (lasting for 1d4+1 rounds after leaving the cloud, or after it dissipates).

The map is updated with the area of the smoke effect outlined.

Fahl and Rothul are up.

The bartender's eyes are predatory as she opens her eyes and looks at Fahl. Her grin widens.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arslanian
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
will 1d20+3 = (12) + 3 = 15
Blind, if necessary 1d4+1 = (1) + 1 = 2

fort 1d20+1 = (13) + 1 = 14
num rounds, if necessary 1d4+1 = (3) + 1 = 4
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 434625. jarslan
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (12) + 3 =
  • 15
  • will
  • Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:28 am
  • [+]
  • 434626. jarslan
  • 1d4+1 =
  • (1) + 1 =
  • 2
  • Blind, if necessary
  • Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:28 am
  • [+]
  • 434627. jarslan
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (13) + 1 =
  • 14
  • fort
  • Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:29 am
  • [+]
  • 434628. jarslan
  • 1d4+1 =
  • (3) + 1 =
  • 4
  • num rounds, if necessary
  • Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:30 am
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will Save 1d20+1 = (19) + 1 = 20
Fortitude Save 1d20+4 = (5) + 4 = 9
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 434638. leemc13
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (19) + 1 =
  • 20
  • Will Save
  • Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:46 am
  • [+]
  • 434639. leemc13
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (5) + 4 =
  • 9
  • Fortitude Save
  • Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:47 am
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rothul hears breaking glass and turns his head in the direction of the bar to witness moments later the explosion at the table nearby. He moves his hand in front of his eyes to shield himself from the intense flash of light. Reacting instinctively and with a sense of urgency, he steps forward (to H25) to place himself between Nester and the others. He instructs Nester to fall back for his own safety. "Get behind me!"

With Nester safe, his next concern is to retrieve the stolen artifact and subdue those attacking the Pathfinders. He'll attempt this by striking at Shoalo (who I assume is holding the artifact), hoping to incapacitate him and prevent him from escaping.

Can I use my Cleave feat here? Am I within range of Ahrmisa for a 2nd attack if I successfully hit Shoalo? If not, I'll go with my Power Attack feat instead.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb

Will save 1d20+2 = (18) + 2 = 20
Blind for 1d4+1 = (3) + 1 = 4 rounds
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 434640. schizoid
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (18) + 2 =
  • 20
  • Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:35 am
  • [+]
  • 434641. schizoid
  • 1d4+1 =
  • (3) + 1 =
  • 4
  • Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:36 am
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Fahl's embarrassment turns into anger: he throws both arms at the bartender while spitting out the magic words.

Daze spell, DC 16
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that the cloud is completely opaque: no one can see anything within its borders.

Rothul can use Power Attack and/or Cleave (although he'll have to move to I25 to use Cleave), and since Rothul has the initiative, he still knows where Shoalo and Ahrmisa are. But his attacks will be subject to a 50% miss chance for total concealment.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartender Will save 1d20+6 = (18) + 6 = 24

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 434720. Brent Johnson
  • 1d20+6 =
  • (18) + 6 =
  • 24
  • Will save
  • Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:12 pm
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, Rothul will attempt to Cleave then. He moves to I25 to do so. I'll roll for an attack at -4 Strength (lowering my attack bonus to +3 overall and lowering the bonus to my damage to +3). Will you be rolling for the 50% miss chance?

Rothul quickly slashes towards the figures in the billowing smoke that is filling the room.

1st Cleave attempt 1d20+3 = (9) + 3 = 12
possible damage from 1st Cleave attack 1d10+3 = (5) + 3 = 8

2nd Cleave attack (if needed) 1d20+3 = (17) + 3 = 20
damage for possible 2nd Cleave attack 1d10+3 = (5) + 3 = 8
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 434868. leemc13
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (9) + 3 =
  • 12
  • 1st Cleave attempt
  • Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:59 pm
  • [+]
  • 434877. leemc13
  • 1d10+3 =
  • (5) + 3 =
  • 8
  • possible damage from 1st Cleave attack
  • Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:00 pm
  • [+]
  • 434880. leemc13
  • 1d20+3 =
  • (17) + 3 =
  • 20
  • 2nd Cleave attack (if needed)
  • Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:01 pm
  • [+]
  • 434881. leemc13
  • 1d10+3 =
  • (5) + 3 =
  • 8
  • damage for possible 2nd Cleave attack
  • Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:01 pm
[1]  Prev «  13 , 14 , 15 , 16 , 17  Next »  [17] |