Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
278 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 

Pathfinder Society Scenario 3-00 Intro 3: A Vision of Betrayal» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Karpouzian's PFS: A Vision of Betrayal [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IC
OOC
Character Depository
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


In the heart of the Pathfinder Society’s headquarters at Skyreach, Venture-Captain Drandle Dreng, a wiry old man with a wild gray beard and glinting eyes, sits on a large plush bench next to a finely dressed, full-figured woman who looks as though this entire meeting isn’t worth her time. Dreng warmly greets you, and introduces them to the woman,Lady Gloriana Morilla; the Taldan woman tilts her head slightly in acknowledgement of the introduction, but otherwise makes no move to greet anyone. Oblivious to any social slight on the lady’s part, Dreng goes on to explain your mission.

“Recently, a contact from the Low Azlanti embassy in Escadar approached us with an offer. It seems they have discovered a unique relic of Azlanti origin on the Inner Sea’s floor that we have a unique opportunity to add to our collection for study. In return, however, we must deliver one of our catalogued items to Escadar in exchange. The Low Azlanti drive a hard bargain, so we need you to escort a relics broker to Escadar so he can authenticate the Azlanti item and mediate a fair deal on the Ten’s behalf."

It seems the Aspis Consortium has also tendered an offer, and the gillmen have decided to accept the Consortium’s deal if the Society cannot finalize its agreement within 30 days. An Aspis-funded warship patrols the waters just beyond Absalom’s harbor, preventing Pathfinder agents from sailing to Escadar unmolested.

Luckily, we have come up with a solution!


Lady Morilla stirs from her silence and speaks in a strong, demanding voice. “I have used some of the Empire of Taldor’s most skilled operatives to plant a false crew manifest and course plans with the harbormaster, ensuring that the Aspis Consortium spies who certainly keep an eye on such matters believe we are moving our relic to Escadar on a ship tomorrow morning. This decoy should occupy the Consortium sufficiently for you to travel overland to Escadar with plenty of time to make the final agreement with the gillmen before the Society’s window of opportunity runs out.”

Dreng laughs to himself absently, then instructs you to go to the Siphons in the Puddles and meet with the Pathfinder Society’s ally, information broker Grandmaster Torch.

He’ll give you a map for a smugglers’ trail through the isle’s center that should allow for relatively easy and secret travel overland to Escadar. The Society has hired an appraiser and relics broker named Nester Rees to verify the authenticity of the gillmen’s relic; Rees will meet up with you after your meeting with Grandmaster Torch.

I have arranged lodgings for you at an Escadar tavern called the Grindylow’s Goblet, where the gillmen have agreed to meet with them.

Once you arrive, you only need to send word to the Low Azlanti embassy, then have Master Rees conduct the negotiations at the tavern on the Society’s behalf.

You are responsible for Rees’ safety and for the success of his negotiations.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nebis
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Horgrym looks at Lady Morilla, clearly impressed.

"Oy, that's clever Lady! I never would have thought of that decoy. Gillmen and Azlanti relics, that sounds real interesting! I know my way around a tavern!" Horgrym pats his large belly. "We'll be sure to keep him safe there and get this business done!"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrol nods absently, wondering if the Venture Captain Dreng picked him specifically for this mission. Well in his middle age, Tyrol spent most of his time in the Lodge, taking care of the needs of the younger, or at least more vigorous, Pathfinders. This baby sitting of Rees seems quite something that he was well capable of.

Upon hearing the mention of Grandmaster Torch's name, he shudders involuntarily. He has heard many rumours about the scarred man, none of it good. He mutters to himself, as was his habit "That Torch is up to no good. The Society will rue the day they got involved with him... I can feel it in these old bones."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NebisTS wrote:
Horgrym looks at Lady Morilla, clearly impressed.

"Oy, that's clever Lady! I never would have thought of that decoy. Gillmen and Azlanti relics, that sounds real interesting! I know my way around a tavern!" Horgrym pats his large belly. "We'll be sure to keep him safe there and get this business done!"


Tyrol ruffles Horgrym's hair, and says affectionately "Tavern eh? I'd better join you... in order to keep you out of trouble. A few drinks and the next thing you know all hell will break loose. All it takes is a little comment like "This drink is terrible!""
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nebis
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Horgrym shrugs and contemplates the idea of a bad drink at a tavern.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cade pipes up, "Yes, we will guard him with our lives!"

He bows and smiles, introducing himself. "I am Cade Grimmond. I'm a trapfinder, information gatherer, a... well, I guess you could call me a 'redistributor of wealth'. I have also had a bit of training as a sage by my uncle when I was young. He wanted me to become a wizard, but I never really had the patience to sit around reading books all day."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrol smiles at Cade in a fatherly manner. "I am Tyrol, the groundskeeper and caretaker at the Lodge and I'm not quite sure why I was called upon for this field mission, but I suppose I will do what I must to serve the greater good!"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chooo, chooo, chugga chugga, chugga chugga, choo choo!

As the you are preparing to leave, Lady Gloriana starts to stand up, and reaches her arm out for assistance from Tyrol. Should he choose to share it:

Dearest Pathfinders,
As you know, the people of Taldor share a proud history that traces
their blood to the ancient Azlanti who founded our great nation. I
have a letter that I ask you to deliver to a gillman named Shoalo,
who will be leading the gillmen’s negotiations for the relic you’re
being sent to obtain, so my request requires no additional effort on
your part other than carrying a simple envelope. I have no hesitation
in telling you the letter asks the gillmen to consider an alliance with
the nation of Taldor—if the letter finds Ohlas’s hands, it would
please me greatly.
A new dawn will rise over Taldor,
Lady Gloriana Morilla


The team introduces themselves as they go to the Puddles district, to find Grandmaster Torch, the mysterious information broker, ex Pathfinder, and leader of the Shadow Lodge faction of the Society, who operates out of a network of subterranean tunnels beneath the water-logged Absalom district of the Puddles.

A gruff half-orc guard grants the PCs entry into Torch’s audience chamber in the Siphons, a large stone room that has been magically rid of all standing water or even airborne moisture. Torch, a dark-haired, burn-covered man in his late-middle years sits in a large bathtub,
and two attendants continually pour cool water over his cursed, festering wounds. His half-orc bodyguards eye the you warily as the Grandmaster rises to greet them and speaks.

“Well met, Pathfinders. I see you have survived as the Decemvirate’s pawns thus far, and for that I commend you. This next task they have for you is more dangerous than the venture-captain may have told
you, so let me give you a word of warning. I have made it my life’s work to ensure Pathfinder agents are given all the tools they need to return home from their myriad adventures, and this map is the tool I give you. Follow the directions on my map as strictly as you can. Deviate from this path and you may encounter challenges far beyond
your abilities. Many would paint me and those who believe like I do as betrayers of the Society, but it is the corps of the organization that I am completely loyal to. Each and every one of you.

“If you believe you have been mistreated by the Ten or their representatives, don’t hesitate to let me know upon your return from Escadar. My network of agents and spies if vast, and I am a powerful ally to have on your side.

”Now be off. You have a long journey ahead of you. And remember, don’t deviate from this map—it’s designed to get you there and back safely!”



5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have any shopping to do? If so, feel free to post it, and we will continue.

Nester Rees approaches Cade and the others, and introduces himself. Rees agrees to depart whenever the you are ready to do so, and suggests that they travel light to speed their journey across the island to the village of Pier’s End.

Rees is a man of Garundi descent who walks with a cane, claiming he suffers from a malady of the heart that has left his right side weakened.

Rees struggles to keep up with the you on your journey but never complains, and always gives a warm smile and thanks if anyone assists him.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cade quickly snatches the map and examines it carefully, committing as much of it to memory as possible.

"Hmmm... Our route goes through the mountains, perhaps we should get some cold weather gear and climbing equipment before we leave?" he says brightly, hoping that someone stronger than he will offer to carry the extra weight...
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrol shows the Glorianna note to the party and looks embarassed at the issue of shopping. "Ahhh... My sedentary history means that have had no opportunity to acquire treaure. No shopping for me then, though I'd be happy to carry the cold weather gear for the little boys." He ruffles Cade's hair fondly and drops down to Medium encumbrance willingly.

He has no questions for Torch and shakes Rees' hand warmly.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, we certainly don't want you to freeze to death, do we? I can cover you, I'm quite flush after my last mission! Rees, do you have protective clothing?" Cade continues as he leads the way to Honest Faleen's Discount Goods, a fairly reliable merchant.

(As long as you know the password and are in good standing with the local Guild, of course...)


2 sets of cold weather gear, 8gp ea. plus a Climber's Kit, 80 gp. for at total of 96gp. He will also take care of clothing for Rees, if needed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrol looks around muttering "Cap'n Valsin mentioned that there'll be 6 Pathfinders on this mission. I wonder where the rest are?"

Spying Cade generously shoving cash at the merchant he smiles brightly, "That's the way, boyo! You're mighty good at getting rid of cash... almost as good as that Soran. Haven't seen HIM in a while, but he's always giving his gold away at the end of every mission..."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrim
Jes cuz I be short, dunna mean ye need t'ignore me. Cade, th'set o' col' weath'r gear seems t'be in order h'wever. I know of a fine tailer, though h'only makes'm for dwarves. I'd be glad ta take any ord'rs should thar be'ny.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, feel free to purchase whatever. I'll move this along in about 12 hours.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutys_Fist wrote:
Jes cuz I be short, dunna mean ye need t'ignore me. Cade, th'set o' col' weath'r gear seems t'be in order h'wever. I know of a fine tailer, though h'only makes'm for dwarves. I'd be glad ta take any ord'rs should thar be'ny.


Tyrol has no idea what the dwarf just said. He nods politely and smiles, wondering if this dwarf spoke Common like the cute little boys.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutys_Fist wrote:
Jes cuz I be short, dunna mean ye need t'ignore me. Cade, th'set o' col' weath'r gear seems t'be in order h'wever. I know of a fine tailer, though h'only makes'm for dwarves. I'd be glad ta take any ord'rs should thar be'ny.


Cade jumps at the voice suddenly booming out from behind him.

"Oh! Ogrim, I'm sorry I didn't notice you there. I see your skills at moving stealthily are coming along quite nicely. I would be willing to take care of some common furs for you, but if you wish custom gear, I'm afraid you will have to open your own purse..." he says with a smile and a shrug.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrol shushes the rest along. "Maybe we should move things along. I'm sure we want to avoid attracting too much attention. The Aspis are watching, you know." He winks at the pair.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
O'course. What? There be naugh' a true man who pays fer cloth'n from sumw're oth'r'an's own pockets! Ogrim exclaims.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you make purchases, or not (Is it legal in PFS to 'buy' someone something like that?) and begin the trek.

The Cairnlands, a broken landscape of blood-salted earth and the ruins of countless failed assaults on Absalom’s walls, soon yields to open fields and fertile ground. Ahead, a vast forest covers the foothills of large range of snow-capped mountains. The well-trodden road soon ends at a tall wall of trees, signaling the end of civilization.

As you enter the woods, you notice a group of Centaurs, who appear to be a hunting party. They stop you, and in common warn you of a panther with extraordinary intelligence.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Thank you for the warning! Do you think it will attack a group such as ours? I thought they only attacked lone creatures, or is that bears...?

Well, could you tell us how far it is to the mountains? I hope we can make it before dark!"
he chatters on cheerily.

Diplomacy: 1d20+2 = (12) + 2 = 14

According to the Guide to Pathfinder Organized Play, you may buy any normal item listed in the Equipment section of the Core Book, plus any items from other books listed in Additional Resources. You just have to mark the purchases on the Chronicle sheet at the end of the Scenario. You may sell the items back at half price, or full price as long as you are still first level using the retraining option.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 400746. anoirtrou
  • 1d20+2 =
  • (12) + 2 =
  • 14
  • Diplomacy:
  • Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:53 pm
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel: You can't give another player gold or items, but you can allows them to use it, so long as they return it or destroy it by the end of the scenario.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutys_Fist wrote:
Daniel: You can't give another player gold ....


There's an exception to this- if he has a negative condition to be cleared or needs a Raise Dead then the Guide allows everyone to chip in...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:

[ooc] anoirtrou previously rolled 1d20+2 = (12) + 2 = 14 (Diplomacy: )


Will he get any assistance from his fellows?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] |