For 24 years, Risus has been there for us, with open stick-arms and warm, awkward hugs ... and for 14 of those years, the Risus Companion has been there for Risus, with drunken leering and inappropriate comments.
But has it been there for you? Maybe it's time. The Risus Companion is 64 pages of concentrated Risus oddness, reflecting years of Internet feedback and even more years of my personal Risus campaigns. It's illustrated throughout with the same kind of high-quality illustrations you'll find in Risus itself. Just a few of its many features:
- Articles on the ins and outs of character design, including Anatomy of a Cliché, and sidebars exploring the “core clichés” of adventure fiction.
- The Megaversal Omnigroovy Background Machine, which will, in just a few die rolls, tell you why your Irish Shinto Minotaur Astronaut (4) decided to enlist in the Star Patrol.
- An extensive section on squeezing the most juice from the simple Risus mechanics, including the secrets of the Unholy Trinity, the dangers of vending machines, and the many ways there are to carve up a conflict in Risus.
- Many amusing Player/GM dialogues, taken directly from real life (as S. John Ross imagines it to be).
- Expanded discussions on the minutest aspects of the game, from special equipment to the use of magic.
- Evil GMing tips for Evil GMs. Plus, Evil GMing tips for Less Evil GMs to help them become more Evil.
- Tools and techniques for Risus adventure design, including Rocky Roads, and the official Risus Adventure Matrix. Bonus toys include a random fantasy world generator - one every bit as detailed and comprehensive as you'd expect from Risus.
- Fans of the Big List of RPG Plots will be pleased to discover one of its lost cousins, the Big List of Dirty Little Thrills, an adventure-design checklist that cuts to the heart of what's really satisfying in a game.
- A collection of new Advanced Options, including Eye of the Tiger(rules for forcing montage sequences), Lucky Shots & Questing Dice, and Strip Risus.
- Mrs. Butterbread's secret banana-pumpkin bread recipe.
- A lexicon of Risus terms to help you cut through the tangle of complicated rules and systems.
- How to Draw Stick Figures, the Risus Way. 'Nuff said, True Believer!
If Risus confuses you, the Risus Companion will enhance that experience tenfold. If Risus amuses you, the Risus Companion will take more than ten times as many pages to do pretty much exactly the same thing. It's that cool. More important (much, much more important) when you buy the Risus Companion, you're also joining the International Order of Risus, the worldwide Risus fan-club/world-domination conspiracy of love. Of course there's a handshake. You already know it. Deep inside.