In Harm's Way is all about being a naval officer and gentleman during the Napoleanic Wars, designed to emulate the naval fiction of Forster, O'Brian, Parkinson, Lambdin, and others rather than the actual history. In Harm's Way uses the StarCluster 2.5 System
- Play British, American, or French characters.
- Players play three characters, an Officer, a Warrant Officer, and a Seaman
- Honor and Practicality adds to your chance of success due to your reputation.
- Interest and Notice: You accumulate Notice and add your Interest to advance in rank. You're born with Interest, but in order to get Notice, you must burn with zeal and throw yourself headlong in harm's way.
- Competitive Play: There can be only one Captain. One hero. Is it going to be you?
- Avocations: You're an officer, sure - so are all your fellow officers - but you are also an intelligence agent.