2014 RPG Challenge: Play Five RPGs You Have Never Played Before (Each At Least Once)
I was inspired by this Geeklist: 2014 Challenge: Play 10 Games 10 Times Each.
So RPGs are just simply a different animal than board games. Fewer people play them and it's more difficult to get a group together. Plus, finding a 3-4 hour block to play a game is difficult, not to mention the significant time investment to learn rules. The 10x10 wouldn't work for RPGs, because I think most people are lucky to get 100 plays total in a given year.
So, what is a challenge for RPG players? Playing a couple games many times is trivial for any RPG player who plays in a campaign or two. But, many RPG players often play one or two games and are satisfied with that. Yes, there are players who flit from game to game, but I think they might be an exception.
So here's the challenge. In 2014, play five RPGs you've never played before each at least once.
1) You can join this GeekList any time, but plays only count after you say you are participating in the challenge. If you join in mid-January and want to count a game from a week before, that's no big deal. But I want to avoid the situation of someone joining the list much later in the year and backlogging all their plays since January.
2) A "play" is defined as either playing or GMing or participating in a GMless (or GMfull) game.
3) VoIP games count.
4) PBF games count as long as the game starts AFTER you post on the GeekList. The game must actually get off the ground for it to count (i.e. Not dying after a month.) I will trust your judgment on this one. It does not necessarily have to "complete" in 2014, though.
5) Playtests count.
For other corner cases, use your best judgment. If something is coming up a lot, let me know and I can make a clarification.
What? Prizes? Shouldn't playing all these great new games be prize enough? But prizes are also fun!
1) Anyone who completes the challenge will divide the pot evenly. I will throw in 100 Geekgold and anything tipped to this GeekList will also be part of the pot.
2) BONUS: 50 Geekgold to the person who plays the MOST games that are new to them. If more than one person ties, they split this pot.
I will be participating but am ineligible for all prizes.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Add an item to this list to indicate your intent to participate.
Whenever you play a new game, edit the item and give the name of the game, the date (or dates for a PBF) you played. If you want to talk a little bit about the circumstances and what you thought, great! But it's not necessary.
You DO NOT have you say which five games you intend to play ahead of time. But if you want to indicate a couple games you're hoping to get in, great!
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Here's the list of how many games people have played (list updated 1st January 2015 at 9:52 UTC):
Shadow Hexagram 8
E Decker 5
If you see a mistake in this list, please let me know
RPG Item: The Five
[Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
1) Monsterhearts (VoIP, 2/16/14)
Only one game so far, but when summer con season hits, I'm sure this number will shoot up.
Pandacon is Panda-On!
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
UPDATES - Played Games:
1. Night's Black Agents: face-to-face session at the Ludipolis RPG Club in Marseille on January 17, 2014.
2. Monsterhearts: PbVoIP session on Google Hangout with Julia (our MC), Jonna, Rishi and Sören on February 16, 2014.
3. 13th Age: PbVoIP session on Google Hangout with Julia, Jan Conlaen, Jonna, Leonie and Misha on February 25, 2014.
4. Hillfolk: face-to-face session GMed by Robin D. Laws at the Chimériades convention on May 8, 2014.
5. Doctor Who AITAS: face-to-face session I GMed at our monthly RPG club meet on May 17, 2014.
6. F.A.T.A.L.: face-to-face session I played for the first and last time in my life on July 25, 2014.
7. Les Lames du Cardinal: face-to-face session I played at the Jeux de Rune convention on October 11, 2014
8. First Contact: X-Corps: a handful of short face-to-face sessions I GMed at the Toulouse Game Show convention on Novermber 29 & 30, 2014.
This contest is actually the perfect opportunity to put the dust off my RPG library and try out games I've neither never run nor played.
So beside my intent to participate, here's a short list of the games I also intend to try out for the 1st time. This list is in no way meant to be complete or definitive but only to give a bit of an outlook of what I'm expecting from my future sessions.
The Laundry: I received this game as a present from the Mad Hatter's gift exchange, and I've become a big fan of Charles Stross since then. I haven't had or taken the time to try this game out though, and I'd like to give my players an alternative to the usual CoC games.
Night's Black Agents: I joined a PbF game last year but it fizzled out very early, meaning that next time I'm playing it, it should actually be my 1st real game. Besides, as I actually should be one of the translators of the supplements for the French publisher 7ème Cercle, I think this game is going to be one I'll run the most throughout 2014. 13th Age: Having been part of the translation team for the French publisher 7ème Cercle, I'm looking forward to bringing this game to the table as I completely fell in love with this RPG.
The Esoterrorists: My fiancée offered me the 2nd edition of this game for Christmas and really look forward to running it. Ideas keep popping up in my head...
Nova Praxis: I so loved this game when I read it, and I got so frustrated I never could bring it to the table in 2013. I won't let this chance pass now.
Leverage: The Roleplaying Game: My fiancée offered me this game as birthday present and I've been biding my time since then. But enough is enough. There will be at least one job for a team to do this year.
Eclipse Phase (First Edition): I received this game from Cthantha Claus this December and since then I've already been asked by several people to run it. With pleasure then!
Kingdom: Having received this game a couple of weeks ago, I've really been looking forward to seeing what this game has in store!
Monsterhearts: My fiancée has been asking me to run this one repeatedly. I'll try to find the right kind of players for this one and I'll be happy to give it a go.
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
Okay - I guess I'm in! All of you better brush off your VOIP headsets, because all of these are gonna have to be online games! These are things that I have been wanting to get to the table, but am unlikely to do so with my face-to-face groups.
Here is what is on the list to possibly run or play...
1) Torchbearer - haven't even read through this, but if it is similar to Mouse Guard, I will like it...
2) Kingdom - Also just received this and think it will be a blast.
3) Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game - really really want to get this to the table.
4) Firefly Role-Playing Game - I got the gencon beta of this and I am awaiting the official release so that I can play it!
5) Deadlands: Reloaded - had it for a while and unable to get to the table.
6) Lords of Gossamer & Shadow - just came in and I really want to see how it works.
7) Savage Worlds Deluxe - specifically to play in the Hellfrost setting.
8) Numenera - didn't back the KS, but backed their next one and got the Numenera core book as an added bonus.
9) King Arthur Pendragon (Edition 5.1) - got this for Christmas and really would love to give it a go - not sure I would get to play the whole The Great Pendragon Campaign though.
10) Dogs in the Vineyard - never have gotten this to the table, really want to
11) Dread - this would be hard over VOIP, so not sure it would happen...
12) MH-0: Marvel Super Heroes Role-Playing Game - though I couldn't run this myself (not familiar enough with superhero tropes to give it a good treatment) I would love to play in a game!
so many plans...
irregular guest for a couple of days - mostly offline
I'm in for this! There's a whole bunch of stuff I hope to play... Archipelago (Third Edition) might make the list, as might Kingdom, Durance, Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple, or What You Wish For. Might be something altogether different, too...
By the way, I was tempted to use Seducing New Targets as list entry, just because of the title. But reading the game's description... I chose hope.
First new game! Feb 7, 2014: Contact: Das taktische UFO-Rollenspiel. Somebody ran us through the quickstart adventure.
* Feb 21st: Depending on whether you count NIP'AJIN as RPG or System, this is my second new game this year. Die unglaubliche Robert Redshirt RPG Show (The incredible R.R. RPG Show) is listed as an item under NIP'AJIN as the RPG level, but in my opinion NIP'AJIN is the system used in several separate games with very different scope and style. Anyway, I'm open to not counting this against the challenge, but just wanted to mention the game. It was fun!
March 12: First time with Dungeon World (based on The Indigo Galleon). Looks like a really cool system.
(March 15): First PF session for me (The Tower of Heroes), run by Tybalt from Spain on the German Free RPG Day (Gratisrollenspieltag).
4 (May 2): Believe it or not, I actually played my first DSA session yesterday. I'm not really hooked, to tell you the truth. I guess I can understand the appeal of the extremely detailed campaign world, and the fact that many people like the 3d20 resolution, although it is not really to my tastes.
5 Challenge completed!
(June 4) Somebody ran a Little Fears oneshot for us. It was interesting; some of the players tried to rally against the tone of hopelessness that the GM tried to create.
(June 14): A game of Los Muertos at Nordcon.
(June 14): And Durance (Nordcon, too)! By the way, this is the first game of the list of my first thoughts/ hopes of what I might play (see the top of this post).
(June 27): The Quiet Year - Very cool game!
(August 13): We played a short session of Splittermond just to get familiar with the rules system (part of the quickstart scenario). Interesting tick system to track actions in combat.
(September 10): We danced a session of Sea Dracula. Great game. Such much silliness. Awe.
(September 24): I facilitated a game of Kaleidoscope (Jackson Tegu) (a Microscope hack just recently published) at our local rpg meet-up. We reminisced about/ created a weird sci-fi drama. What's even more weird is that I wouldn't be surprised if such a movie (with such a mad, mad script) actually existed.
(October 10): Virtuacon! I participated in Dave's first session: Dinky Dungeons. My unreliable connectivity was a nuisance, but I enjoyed the game, although I missed some bits.
13 (November 9): PandaCon! Yohann guided a game of Dramasystem (Hillfolk) for five of us, based on Series Pitch 09: Niflgap. Great game, thanks everybody!
next When and what will it be?
RPG Item: The Wolf
[Average Rating:0.00 Unranked]
Drama Llama Roleplaying Society
This is a great idea, I'm in too!
Let's see, I intend to play these games:
Lacuna Part I. The Creation of the Mystery and the Girl from Blue City
Never-before-played-Games I played this year:
#1 Carolina Death Crawl (played January 5th with Jonna, Julia and Andrea)
#2 Star Wars (WEG) (played January 26th with Jan, Erik, Jonna, Leonie, Kyle and Misha)
#3 Psi Run (played February 22nd with Jonna, Rishi, Alex and Shawn)
#4 Star Wars World (Apocalypse World hack) (played March 1st with Sören, Piero and Philip Rawlinson)
#5 The One Ring (played March 7th with Jonna, David, Jan and Simon)
#6 Kuro (played March 29th with Sara, Andrea, Jonna, Kris and Joseph Cowburn)
#7 Murderous Ghosts (played March 30th with Leonie)
#8 Lady Blackbird (played April 21st with Leonie, Vivienne, Sam, Alex and Jan)
#9 Star Wars: Edge of the Empire (played during the Belgian RPGG Geekmeet April 26th with Jan, Toni, Erik, Ville and Kris)
#10 Hollow Earth Expedition (played during the Belgian RPGG Geekmeet April 26th with Peter, Erik, Jonna, Laurens and one more player whose name I sadly forgot)
#11 Don't Rest Your Head (played May 4th with Andrea, Jonna and Kris, and yes, I hadn't played this before)
#12 Hillfolk (By the Axe Setting) (played May 11th with Andrea, Jonna, Alex and Rich)
#13 Monster of the Week (played May 21st with Leonie, Vivienne, Alex and Jan, when our scheduled session of Lady Blackbird got wrecked by a thunderstorm)
#14 Doctor Who Roleplaying Game (played June 1st with Leonie, Andrea and Jan, disguised as a Star Trek game)
#15 Night's Black Agents (played a playtest session on June 27th with Jonna, Leonie, Misha and Yohann)
#16 Don't Walk in Winter Wood (played July 2nd with Jonna, Sara, Stelio and Sam H.)
#17 Durance (played July 20th with Andrea, Leonie, Lowell and Jan)
#18 The Quiet Year (played July 21st with Leonie and Sam)
#19 Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition) (played July 27th with Simon, David, Milo and John)
#20 Microscope (played August 30th with Andrea, John, Andy, Lowell and Steve D.)
#21 The Society of Dreamers (played September 1st with Andrea and Jonna)
#22 Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game (played during Virtuacon on October 11th with Keith, Jason, Marc and William)
#23 Fiasco (played October 18th with Leonie, Alex, Sam and Dean)
#24 The Princess Game (played November 1st with Sara, Andrea and Jonna)
#25 The Orc in the Well (Bonus Game from "Society of Dreamers") (played November 1st with Sara, Andrea and Jonna)
#26 Zombieland - All Flesh Must Be Eaten (played November 9th with Leonie, Christine, Craig, Michael and Jan)
#27 InSpectres (played November 16th with William, Michael, Bavo and Jan)
#28 Fear Itself (played November 23rd with William, Andrea, Keith and Bavo)
#29 Heroine (played December 17th with Jonna and Sara)
EDIT (March 7th):
Now let's see how many I can play this year...
Internet rage goon
Edit: Here's the list of new games played so far:
1) Hollowpoint - played a short game of this as part of the 2014 newbie PbF initiative. Was quite fun, though the format proved more difficult than I expected on PbF.
2) Callisto - completed a ten "session" game of this in a high fantasy world. It was...interesting. We ran into a number of problems, but I still had fun and will remember the character for a long time.
3) The Burning Wheel Gold - ran this for the first time (finally!) on June 5. I definitely struggled with the ideas of the game, but we're planning on continuing the game to its conclusion, and it was certainly fun! (Edit: we did play a second session and then decided to move on.)
4) Numenera - played this through a PbF here on RPGG (run by the masterful karlkrlarsson). I was glad to take the new hotness for a test drive!
5) The Quiet Year - played for the first time via Google Hangouts last week (Sep. 4). It's a very unusual game and took a bit of time for me to get into it, but I rather liked it. I think it would go even better if I have a chance to play it again.
I'm fickle enough that I'm sure the final five will have little relation to this list, but here are some candidates:
1) Project Ninja Panda Taco - Silly and quick, sounds perfect!
2) Archipelago - This really appeals to me for storytelling.
3) Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition) - A no-brainer for me!
4) Sagas of the Icelanders - or another Powered by the Apocalypse hack.
5) Kingdom - is it a bandwagon or a trend?
6) Tenra Bansho Zero - perfect for this, as it is built for one shots
7) Montsegur 1244 - just got this for Epimas, and I've always wanted to give it a go
8) Grey Ranks - in case Montsegur isn't depressing enough
9) Torchbearer (2013) - looks like a fascinating experience, even if it's not obviously my favorite!
10) Night's Black Agents - my 2013 PbF died immediately, but hopefully I can try again in the new year
Sounds like a good plan! I'm in.
So here is my list of hopefuls:
Trail of Cthulhu
Monster of the Week
Leverage: The Roleplaying Game
June 15, 2014, [family=21869][/family] - Ran an alien-invasion-in-small-town scenario for this at Origins. Went really well, and can't wait for the full game to come out.
June 22, 2014, Trail of Cthulhu - Played in my first ToC game via VoIP. Didn't find the system as obtrusive as I initially thought, although I'm still a little unsure on how clue finding is supposed to work. Looking forward to playing it again.
October 30, 2014, Army of Darkness Roleplaying Game - I ran an AoD game via the RPGG PBEM forums that just finished up here. Had a lot of fun, but mixed feelings on the system. Would try again, but probably in a live setting.
Definitely up for some new gaming goodness. Looking forward to it.
1. The One Ring (GM/play) - 27th Jan '14
2. Eclipse Phase (play)
3. Shadows of Esteren (GM)
4. Age of Rebellion (GM)
5. Kuro (GM)
6. 13th Age (play)
7. Numenera (GM/play) - 17th Feb '14 / 7th Jul '14
8. Bookhounds of London - 10th Mar '14
9. Whitehack - 21st Jun '14
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
Running Traveller (M2e)
I have no idea what new RPGs I'll be playing this year, but I'm pretty confident that I will play at least five.
New RPGs I hope to play
Shadowrun (5th Edition)
Trail of Cthulhu
New RPGs I have actually played
1. Project Ninja Panda Taco, played 2/15/2014. details
2. Fate Core, played 2/15/2014. details
3. Shadowrun (5th Edition), played 3/28/2014. details
4. Lasers & Feelings, played 5/23/2014. details
5. Dungeons & Dragons (4th Edition), played 6/24/2014. details
6. Alternity, played 7/07/2014. details
7. Traveller (Mongoose), played 8/4/2014. details
8. Kobolds Ate My Baby! (Super Deluxx Edition), played 10/11/2014. details
Crafts keep me sane.
New recruit to the spoonie army.
I'm in. We will see how this goes...
Things I have my eye on playing for the first time:
really want to get Dogs in the Vineyard to the table, finally
I hope to get in...
Song of Ice and Fire Saga Roleplaying-I am playing this on pbf
SW:Age of Rebellion
5th ed DnD-Played a quick starter set yesterday. I think the group liked it. I enjoyed the faster pace of fighting. We will probably play it more in Aug/Sept., once we finish a Pathfinder Campaign.
maybe list...d20 modern, centurion, WoD: Dark Ages or Requiem Rome,
2 down 5 to go.
I'm in. This is going to be cake -- there's Story Games meetups in town every week and somebody's always pitching something or other that I've never heard of!
In 2014 I will definitely play:
I really need to play:
Just 'cuz it seems so cool. As for the other two? No shortage of candidates... life is good.
Five I own and have never played:
Dogs in the Vineyard
Dog Eat Dog
The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Von Munchausen
Broke the "D" theme with that last one. Alas, I already played Diaspora.
More games I own but haven't played:
ASOIF the RPG
Considering the amount of games I've actually played is miniscule, I am most certainly in! We'll just have to see if it actually happens.
1. Call of Cthulhu (2nd - 6th Edition) I know, I know...How have I not played this already?
2. Traveller (Classic)
6. Call of Catthulhu
HAVEN'T PLAYED YET
7. Lady Blackbird
1. I just started playing in a pbf of OSRIC which I haven't played before. One down, four to go!
2. Played a f2f game of Microscope last night, 01/22/14.
3. 1/31/14 First session of Traveller (Classic) by VoiP. I'm not entirely sure if this should count, as I had a lot of technical issues and missed a bunch. I seemed to have them smoothed out by the end of the session, but I'm afraid I didn't really contribute much. It was a lot of fun anyway and I hope things go better next time. Thanks to
for running it!
Five? That shouldn't be too hard.
Ed.: And ... challenge completed.