Dread
S1-4: Realms of Horror
A Dirty World
Wild Talents Essential Edition
Delta Green
Barony of the Damned
Terror in Talabheim
Mythic
X2: Castle Amber (Château d' Amberville)
Nehwon
D0: Hollow's Last Hope
Green Races
Different Worlds (Issue 44 - Nov 1986)
Fortress of the Ogre Chieftain
Fiasco
The Big List of RPG Plots
Different Worlds (Issue 22 - Jul 1982)
The Race Forever
Berge des Wahnsinns: Expeditionspack
Savage Worlds Deluxe
ASE1: Anomalous Subsurface Environment: City of Denethix and Dungeon Level 1
Numenera
Golden Sky Stories: Heart-Warming Role-Playing
Scarlet Heroes
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Dungeon Master's Screen (D&D 5e)
Night Witches
Goblin Quest
Spirit of 77
Dread Names, Red List (V20)
Ohunkakan: The Living Myths
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying: Basic Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game for me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Benn
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm only interested in playing big events in the Marvel Universe with big name Marvel characters. I have no interest in making my own characters or plots. Is this game for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
I think it's easier to play with the provided Marvel Universe characters than to make your own, personally.

That said, the options available in the main book are somewhat limited. Particularly on the villain side. I imagine the character options will expand with every new book that is released, but if you want to get started immediately you may have to improvise a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
You should be playing Dungeon World
mbmbmbmbmb
The nature of the upcoming releases (they're event based) make the game a perfect fit for what you want. The game is not incredibly hard to learn, but it is a bit complicated at first and is better suited for those who want to play in a descriptive-rich, comic style rather than are looking for a really crunchy, simulationist kind of engine - you can easily "game" the system in some minor ways or it can devolve to just reading lines off the character sheet if you're not into describing what you want to do (whether it's optimal or not) and then looking for what fits. In a recent game we played with a mixed group, those of us who got into playing a "comic" really liked the way the system worked, while those who were more in to optimal choices found the game very limited (i.e., "There seemed like one optimal choice I had to keep using over and over again.").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven´t played the game already, but i do have the book and have some reading over it.

Yes is a game more focused on characters from marvel universe than making the one for yourself, as is in Mutants & Masterminds (3rd Edition) where you are mostly "forced" to make your character or take and personalize a template.

With Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game brings you the characters premade (even the first one didn´t bring some key characters like hulk) and is a more narrative focused and straightforward game, with not complex rules but narrative resources where the very same character says which dice you have to roll.

As far i see is pretty away from a technic game like D&D, i haven´t the feeling yet since i haven´t played yet, and how dynamic it is.

In Mutants & Masterminds (3rd Edition) are so many rules that makes the game very complex in comparison with this.

I guess that this is your game, if you like light high narrative rpg games with all characters and villain premade.

I feel this game like is a group of comic fans that could join to play, even the MASTER/DIRECTOR as a player (since it throw dice in from of the players, and have a pool), that are trying to build a chapter or a comic book, more than the players against the DM. and the players in knowledge of what popular characters do, know how to behave and how to make the game scenes rich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Benn
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok. I'm a pretty technical gamer that plays Hero System - 600 page rule books etc..., but my family is not into that sort of thing.

I'm willing to go with a narrative system where my son gets to play Wolverine and feel awesome as long as that's actually what's going to happen.

Any chance other classic Marvel events will get redone, like Phoenix Saga or Kree-Scrull War etc...? That would be cool.

I really just want everything handed to me on a silver platter you see.

What is the Event example in the book, out of curiousity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
Re: Is this game for me?
Johnny Awesome wrote:

What is the Event example in the book, out of curiousity?

Breakout (from New Avengers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
You should be playing Dungeon World
mbmbmbmbmb
Civil War is the first event due out. It's now overdue (like virtually everything MWP ever announces whistle), but is in preorder, with an expected ship date of June.

Next up is Annihilation. It was supposed to ship in June; I'd expect in the fall. Finally, Age of Apocalypse is the third of the events that has been announced for 2012. It's likely to be out in 2013 at this point.

There is only a mini-event in the basic rule book (Breakout) which is sort of a "Avengers get back together" set-up. IMO, it's not particularly good because it's just one massive combat-fest but that's me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Ashe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnny Awesome wrote:

I'm willing to go with a narrative system where my son gets to play Wolverine and feel awesome as long as that's actually what's going to happen.

I'd say more than any other system, MHR lets you do that. Even more, you can have Jubilee beside Wolverine and have Jubilee's player feel awesome too, rather than overshadowed. It's also one of the few systems I can think of that lets you do the scene in Marvel Anime X-Men where Neuron has Beast and Wolverine caught, and Wolverine has Beast punch him repeatedly so he goes berserk and actually gets more powerful (not immediately obvious how to do it with the mechanics, but they're explicitly flexible).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Benn
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Update:

I did buy the game and my son did get to play Wolverine and he liked it.

Also, my older son and some of his friends also played and they liked it too.

Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.